Page 65 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So instead of seeing a mastery of the force, something a jedi possesses, we need to see someone swing glowy sword.
    Yes. Its what the fan base actually cares about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    100%.
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    You are right. Other than the DC stuff since Batman TAS and the Star Wars stuff of Faloni most of the animation since 1995 has left me cold and I care little for it. But I will debate any topic with you, kid.
    Well maybe I'll pop a thread tomorrow about VOs that are amazing. Yes Hammill is amazing BTW. But the stuff cats are doing today with Video Games is next level. Pick an overwatch VO and you've got yourself a star. Crispin Freeman, Matt Mercer, Darin DePaul, Fred Tatasciore, so many others who's names I'm forgetting right now haha.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Then the fanbase has a **** opinion. We got to witness the best force power shown in Star Wars to save the lives of his sister and the cause she cares about so much. And instead people whine because he didn't cut up a bunch of cannon fodder with a lasersword.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Says the person who wanted the sequel trilogy to end with Thrawn knifing Rey.
    You’re right. I thought Thrawn should be shown at the end of that movie cycle, so he can be the main villain in the next set of movies. Instead Thrawn is now the main villain that the current slate of shows is being billed around. So the idea that you laughed at, Disney is incorporating and building around.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Then the fanbase has a **** opinion. We got to witness the best force power shown in Star Wars to save the lives of his sister and the cause she cares about so much. And instead people whine because he didn't cut up a bunch of cannon fodder with a lasersword.
    lol just stop
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You’re right. I thought Thrawn should be shown at the end of that movie cycle, so he can be the main villain in the next set of movies. Instead Thrawn is now the main villain that the current slate of shows is being billed around. So the idea that you laughed at, Disney is incorporating and building around.
    You think that's a victory? Thrawn was already a main villain in a Disney Star Wars show and the subject of a popular Book Line under Disney. You wanted to end the Skywalker Saga with killing the main character to tease another movie. What you're proposing is at the end of the Dark Knight Rises Bruce Wayne and Miranda Tate get Obliterated by General Zod. That's what you're suggesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    lol just stop
    Why? If that's what people want, then watch Marvel movies. Star Wars left that realm when Lucas went into the political/mystical side of things. There's still big battles, but they're grounded around personal and larger scale strife. Not action sequences with no end goal other than to show off power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Man, I forgot how unbearable he can be
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    So instead of seeing a mastery of the force, something a jedi possesses, we need to see someone swing glowy sword.
    Imagine watching a samurai movie where the samurai never uses his sword but instead just uses wisdom to resolve problems. It might be more impressive when you think about it, but it makes for a far poorer action movie.

Star Wars has always been heavily influenced by samurai movies. It's part of the formula that makes them enjoyable. Not having Luke out there swinging his sword is a problem.

The interesting thing is, Luke's fight was much more exciting before you find out he's a vision. The idea that Luke's power has grown to the point that he could use the force to repel a direct salvo from a group of AT-ATs was so cool. It would have been an awesome new force power to show from the chosen one. When you find out everything was an illusion, it cheapens it. Yeah it was still a crazy powerful use of the force but it was a much less exciting use of the force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I really hope they use Thrawn as the crossover villain for multiple shows and not just a villain for Ahsoka. I'm hopeful as the X-wing pilot talking to Cara Dune says something about the things happening in the outer rim not being random. So I'm hoping Thrawn is pulling the strings across all the shows.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Why? If that's what people want, then watch Marvel movies. Star Wars left that realm when Lucas went into the political/mystical side of things. There's still big battles, but they're grounded around personal and larger scale strife. Not action sequences with no end goal other than to show off power.
    Dave Filoni has probably picked Lucas' brain better than anyone and understands it better than anyone else besides George.

I'll let him speak.

Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Thrawn is amazing. I would love a show centered around him. We need a "bad guy" show, and he is perfect for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Imagine watching a samurai movie where the samurai never uses his sword but instead just uses wisdom to resolve problems. It might be more impressive when you think about it, but it makes for a far poorer action movie.

Star Wars has always been heavily influenced by samurai movies. It's part of the formula that makes them enjoyable. Not having Luke out there swinging his sword is a problem.

The interesting thing is, Luke's fight was much more exciting before you find out he's a vision. The idea that Luke's power has grown to the point that he could use the force to repel a direct salvo from a group of AT-ATs was so cool. It would have been an awesome new force power to show from the chosen one. When you find out everything was an illusion, it cheapens it. Yeah it was still a crazy powerful use of the force but it was a much less exciting use of the force.
    I'm gonna ignore half this post. Because it's arguing opinion and we've made our points clear.

Again, we're talking about influence.Saying it's based on Westerns and Samurais is fine. Cause it is. But it's also based on it's own mythology and ethos. Think about the battle between Obi Wan and Vader. He didn't beat Vader with his lightsaber, but did by becoming one with the force.

Let's take this one step further, when has anyone in Star Wars history won with a lightsaber?

Obi Wan and Qui Gon fought Maul, QUi Gon died.

Obi Wan and Anakin dueled Dooku and Anakin lost a hand. Worse could have happened if Yoda didn't come by and duel to a draw.

Mace Windu and Yoda entered into duels with Palpatine and both lost.

Anakin and Obi Wan entered into a Duel with Dooku again and Anakin lost as he went way too far down the Dark Side by executing Dooku.

Obi Wan and Vader we discussed.

Luke and Vader part 1 ended in Luke losing his hand and Vader losing nothing.

Luke and Vader part 2 almost ended in Luke turning to the Dark Side but he stopped. And won when he cast aside his light saber.

6 movies of lightsaber duels, all of them ending poor or neutral for the Light Side. Like perhaps the light side of the force shouldn't be aggressive. Which keep in mind the **** takes of fans is how JJ came to his finale of Episode 9. ****.

So again yes you're right, it's based on Samurai films. But Star Wars has established a hell of a lot of it's own universe by this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I really hope they use Thrawn as the crossover villain for multiple shows and not just a villain for Ahsoka. I'm hopeful as the X-wing pilot talking to Cara Dune says something about the things happening in the outer rim not being random. So I'm hoping Thrawn is pulling the strings across all the shows.
    It's possible, but it seems to not be the direction Star Wars is going. At least right now. Maybe they'll zag as they develop these shows.

To me it will be interesting to see what they do with Thrawn because it's been years since he was last seen. So obviously he's doing something. Thrawn being alive would allow Palpatine's stupid clone to do some **** in the outer rim with the development of the first order by using Imperial Remnants. to cause strife.

The pilot seemed to be pointing to a bigger bad. As Gideon is certainly not doing this for himself. We know Palpatine isn't dead so of course he's playing his part. But it would be nice if Thrawn or someone believable not ****ty clone Palpatine was doing evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Dave Filoni has probably picked Lucas' brain better than anyone and understands it better than anyone else besides George.

I'll let him speak.

Child please, you act like I haven't watched the Mandalorian Gallery. Filloni does know tons, and he worked with Johnson. I think if he took great umbrage with what johnson was doing he would have brought it up. Infact if you listen to what he said, he perhaps think Rian Johnson's choice with Luke may have been brilliant.

Then Filoni interjected his own opinion, “Oh, I love that. I love too that I look back down this table and we are presided over by Padme [a Daniel E. Greene oil paining of Padme Admidala, female lead of the Star Wars prequel trilogy and Leia’s mother]. There’s a powerful idea there about this matriarchy coming back and subverting what has always been dominantly patriarchal in male heroes: Zeus, Hercules, and everything else.”

“What happens with Kylo and what he does to his father is, structurally, not a redeemable act. There’s no coming back from that, the way he does it currently. But I’ve never seen the mother figure try to do it. And maybe she could.”

“I love that. We should shift it so Leia is the Obi-Wan of this entire trilogy. I don’t even think it hurts that she’s not primarily the mentor figure in VII because, like John had been saying, the audience expectation is so on Luke.”

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'm gonna ignore half this post. Because it's arguing opinion and we've made our points clear.

Again, we're talking about influence.Saying it's based on Westerns and Samurais is fine. Cause it is. But it's also based on it's own mythology and ethos. Think about the battle between Obi Wan and Vader. He didn't beat Vader with his lightsaber, but did by becoming one with the force.

Let's take this one step further, when has anyone in Star Wars history won with a lightsaber?

Obi Wan and Qui Gon fought Maul, QUi Gon died.

Obi Wan and Anakin dueled Dooku and Anakin lost a hand. Worse could have happened if Yoda didn't come by and duel to a draw.

Mace Windu and Yoda entered into duels with Palpatine and both lost.

Anakin and Obi Wan entered into a Duel with Dooku again and Anakin lost as he went way too far down the Dark Side by executing Dooku.

Obi Wan and Vader we discussed.

Luke and Vader part 1 ended in Luke losing his hand and Vader losing nothing.

Luke and Vader part 2 almost ended in Luke turning to the Dark Side but he stopped. And won when he cast aside his light saber.

6 movies of lightsaber duels, all of them ending poor or neutral for the Light Side. Like perhaps the light side of the force shouldn't be aggressive. Which keep in mind the **** takes of fans is how JJ came to his finale of Episode 9. ****.

So again yes you're right, it's based on Samurai films. But Star Wars has established a hell of a lot of it's own universe by this point.
    Obi Wan sacrificed himself because he was so in tune with the Force spending all that time in solitude on Tattoine that he knew it was.the play to make for the greater good. And he was right when he said if Vader struck him down he'd be more powerful than Vader could ever imagine. Obi Wan was still guiding and training Luke as a Force Ghost.

Luke closed himself off from the Force for decades, then suddenly gets a lecture from Yoda and he shows off this Force Projection..

Two totally different scenarios.

We never actually got to see Grandmaster Jedi Luke.

As striker said, if Luke were present and there on Krayte, it would have been a hell of a lot more meaningful. The Force Projection and subsequent death was a terrible terrible redemption copout and waste.

In wrestling, the old talent always puts over the new talent. Rey left Luke by calling him out for giving up on the Jedi and Force. It took Yoda to talk some sense into him.

Sorry some of us wanted to see our favorite hero have more heroic screen time like in the Mando finale before we saw him go out.

Again, I wasn't against Luke having a fallen idol/jaded/cynical arc. But we see him for 10 seconds in TFA, and the first 10 seconds we see him he throws the lightsaber away.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    The correct transition of power would have been:

Episode 7: Luke being main character with Rey. Luke and Rey splitti ngf the screen time 60/40. Ben and Snoke are still the baddies.

Episode 8: Luke has his fallen idol moment, we get the background on Ben's turn. Rey progresses.

Episode 9: Luke makes the ultimate sacrifice, Rey's powers grow, and Ben redeems himself.

Instead what we got was:

Episode 7: The Greatest Hits and Cliches of the OT and PT Recycled.

Episode 8: The Pitiful Luke Skywalker and Occupy Wall Street.

Episode 9: Failed Attempt at trying to tie everything together like End Game.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    That’s supposedly the plan with the crossovers but isn’t that what marvel just did? Built all these characters up over years and they all suddenly have to get together to defeat Thanos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Obi Wan sacrificed himself because he was so in tune with the Force spending all that time in solitude on Tattoine that he knew it was.the play to make for the greater good. And he was right when he said if Vader struck him down he'd be more powerful than Vader could ever imagine. Obi Wan was still guiding and training Luke as a Force Ghost.

Luke closed himself off from the Force for decades, then suddenly gets a lecture from Yoda and he shows off this Force Projection..

Two totally different scenarios.

We never actually got to see Grandmaster Jedi Luke.

As striker said, if Luke were present and there on Krayte, it would have been a hell of a lot more meaningful. The Force Projection and subsequent death was a terrible terrible redemption copout and waste.

In wrestling, the old talent always puts over the new talent. Rey left Luke by calling him out for giving up on the Jedi and Force. It took Yoda to talk some sense into him.

Sorry some of us wanted to see our favorite hero have more heroic screen time like in the Mando finale before we saw him go out.

Again, I wasn't against Luke having a fallen idol/jaded/cynical arc. But we see him for 10 seconds in TFA, and the first 10 seconds we see him he throws the lightsaber away.
    Luke wasn't cut off from the Force for Decades. He never specified when he did. But even if he did it right away after the destruction of his temple that's about 6 years.

We never got to see Grandmaster Luke because JJ and Kasden went the route they did. Personally I think it would have been better to kill Luke off in Act Two of Episode Seven, get him right out of the way.