Page 67 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Here's something that's telling. Here are the 12 Star Wars projects currently ongoing or in production.

The Mandalorian
    Rangers of the New Republic- Spinoff of the Mandalorian
    Ahsoka- Spinoff of The Mandalorian featuring a Clone Wars and Rebels character
    Book of Boba Fett- Spinoff of The Mandalorian featuring a character from ESB and ROTJ
    Andor- About the guy from Rogue One
    Obi-Wan Kenobi- Following Obi-Wan between ROTS and New Hope
    Bad Batch- Following a Clone Wars commando team
    Visions- Anime inspired show apparently with a wholly new story
    Lando- About Lando
    The Acolyte- Set in the High Republic period
    A Droid Story- About a new droid with R2-D2 and C-3PO
    Rogue Squadron- Following the squadron of Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles featured in ESB and ROTJ

We have 5 shows with major tie ins to the original trilogy (one with a major prequels tie in). We have 2 with Clone Wars tie ins. We have one with a Rogue One tie in. We have two with original characters set in the aftermath of ROTJ. And two that appear to be wholly new creations.

What is conspicuous by its absence? The sequels. No character from the sequels got their own show, none of the shows are set in the same time period as the sequels, none of them are fleshing out the sequels like Clone Wars did the prequels. I think the fact that there a dozen projects with the sequels being ignored speaks volumes.
    Probably none have gotten their own show because Disney is thinking about the direction to take. We've gotten a bunch of books on sequel characters, comics on them, etc. There's also the Star Wars Lego Holiday Special, Forces of Destiney, Resistance show, etc. They've done things in the sequel era.

But I digress, it does go on to highlight the silliness of Star Wars. All TV Shows/Movies except for The Acolyte take place in a 67 year period. We know the Republic lasted for over a thousand years. So like why all the focus on this small era when there was so much more time to screw around with.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Probably none have gotten their own show because Disney is thinking about the direction to take. We've gotten a bunch of books on sequel characters, comics on them, etc. There's also the Star Wars Lego Holiday Special, Forces of Destiney, Resistance show, etc. They've done things in the sequel era.

But I digress, it does go on to highlight the silliness of Star Wars. All TV Shows/Movies except for The Acolyte take place in a 67 year period. We know the Republic lasted for over a thousand years. So like why all the focus on this small era when there was so much more time to screw around with.
    I would like to see them do some Knights of the Old Republic stuff. You could have completely new stories where you have no idea which side will win or lose.

But right now Disney needs proven money makers. They're going with the eras of Star Wars they believe they can rely on. They know they can't rely on the sequel era to make money. I'm thinking Acolyte is a big test to see if there's going to be interest in the distant past of Star Wars.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    They did what they set out to do. Sure it could have been better. That would have happened if they didn't **** up Rise of Skywalker.
    Except merchandise sales were already down before that movie came out. So no I don't think they accomplished what they wanted.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Books don't sell toys. Movies and TV shows do.

They do want to expand on the universe as evidence by Project Luminous. I suspect that spawns a cartoon/live action show within a couple of years. They just have to do it right which did not happen with the ST movies. They aren't going to touch that time period in awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I would like to see them do some Knights of the Old Republic stuff. You could have completely new stories where you have no idea which side will win or lose.

But right now Disney needs proven money makers. They're going with the eras of Star Wars they believe they can rely on. They know they can't rely on the sequel era to make money. I'm thinking Acolyte is a big test to see if there's going to be interest in the distant past of Star Wars.
    Unless Acolyte is problematic AF I'm gonna spam watch it to try and get Disney to do more new stuff. I hate the current state of media where everything is a best of

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Books don't sell toys. Movies and TV shows do.

They do want to expand on the universe as evidence by Project Luminous. I suspect that spawns a cartoon/live action show within a couple of years. They just have to do it right which did not happen with the ST movies. They aren't going to touch that time period in awhile.
    Books don't sell toys but they sate the hardcore. If those aren't selling it tells the problem with the hardcores.

Again, product is part of the Star Wars model, but so are just literal sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Unless Acolyte is problematic AF I'm gonna spam watch it to try and get Disney to do more new stuff. I hate the current state of media where everything is a best of
    I feel the same way. They can do some crazy epic things in the High Republic era. It's so long ago it's almost a new universe to explore.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I feel the same way. They can do some crazy epic things in the High Republic era. It's so long ago it's almost a new universe to explore.
    Meh. The High Republic lasts from 300-82 BBY. So that puts it ending roughly 50 years before Phantom Menance. So not THAT long ago. It's most certainly going to feature Plagueis at the end of that timeline and I bet a lot of prime Yoda stories.

Something that would really be it's own universe would be Knights of the Old Republic era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Meh. The High Republic lasts from 300-82 BBY. So that puts it ending roughly 50 years before Phantom Menance. So not THAT long ago. It's most certainly going to feature Plagueis at the end of that timeline and I bet a lot of prime Yoda stories.

Something that would really be it's own universe would be Knights of the Old Republic era.
    I mean I wish they'd jump to the future too. Like 100 years after the events. Build some new ships, show worlds years after we last saw them. Etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well it's not totally new, but it lets you play in a way with a different world with different threats than just the Sith.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I mean I wish they'd jump to the future too. Like 100 years after the events. Build some new ships, show worlds years after we last saw them. Etc.
    Master Grogu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Master Grogu
    Brutal reality is Grogu is presumed dead if he joined Skywalker's Academy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Brutal reality is Grogu is presumed dead if he joined Skywalker's Academy
    Thus the last jedi retcon where Luke has pretended to give up and in reality is protecting grogu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

Sorry, should have said High Republic/Old Republic. Lots of time to explore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Thus the last jedi retcon where Luke has pretended to give up and in reality is protecting grogu.
    The problem with that is it contradicts TFA too where Han tells Rey and Poe

He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible... He walked away from everything.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    The problem with that is it contradicts TFA too where Han tells Rey and Poe

He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible... He walked away from everything.
    retcon the whole thing. they suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    retcon the whole thing. they suck.
    I love the Last Jedi. But I hate the Rise of Skywalker so much I'd accept legends status for the Last Jedi. Then give Rian Johnson his only film trilogy hopefully in the old republic era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I love the Last Jedi. But I hate the Rise of Skywalker so much I'd accept legends status for the Last Jedi. Then give Rian Johnson his only film trilogy hopefully in the old republic era.
    Rian Johnson didn't need to get a movie with established story lines and characters. His goal in every movie he makes is to subvert expectations. It can work when on its own but as the second movie of a trilogy featuring characters and storylines established in 7 previous movies, subverting expectations causes problems. You can like the Last Jedi (I didn't but we've discussed its merits at length) but continuity problems it caused in the story telling of the sequel trilogy was a huge issue.

I'm not sure there could have been a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy after Last Jedi. The story was just too broken by then.

If they were going to give him a project, one of the stand alone movies would have been better suited to his style. One without any characters with established storylines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Rian Johnson didn't need to get a movie with established story lines and characters. His goal in every movie he makes is to subvert expectations. It can work when on its own but as the second movie of a trilogy featuring characters and storylines established in 7 previous movies, subverting expectations causes problems. You can like the Last Jedi (I didn't but we've discussed its merits at length) but continuity problems it caused in the story telling of the sequel trilogy was a huge issue.

I'm not sure there could have been a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy after Last Jedi. The story was just too broken by then.

If they were going to give him a project, one of the stand alone movies would have been better suited to his style. One without any characters with established storylines.
    I don't think Johnson subverted expectations all that much aside from some people's expectations of what would happen to Luke after being in Exile ashamed about Ben Solo turning to the darkside. What were people expecting? Luke to be Chilling out becoming more badass? If he had the ability to stand against Solo and Snoke then he would have instead of going into exile. As was set up by the movie.

The only subverted expectation were involving the plot around Canto Bight. And that's hardly plot shattering, afterall everyone said it was pointless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I don't think Johnson subverted expectations all that much aside from some people's expectations of what would happen to Luke after being in Exile ashamed about Ben Solo turning to the darkside. What were people expecting? Luke to be Chilling out becoming more badass? If he had the ability to stand against Solo and Snoke then he would have instead of going into exile. As was set up by the movie.

The only subverted expectation were involving the plot around Canto Bight. And that's hardly plot shattering, afterall everyone said it was pointless.
    He also subverted expectations by summarily killing off Snoke and making Rey's parents nobodies. JJ Abrams is all about mythology. Look at LOST. He started setting up the mythology of the trilogy in Force Awakens. Audiences were expecting to get more information into Snoke and Rey but Johnson subverted those expectations and gave us nothing.

The stuff with Luke was still subverting expectations. I don't think anyone really expected Luke to be a deus ex machina that defeated the First Order. It wasn't his trilogy afterall. I think they were expecting Luke to be more of the Luke we knew, the guy who would drop anything at an instant to save his friends and not the angry, old alien milk drinking hermit. More a hermit in the way Obi Wan or Yoda was. A hermit that is waiting until the time is right to intercede and help the next chosen one. So expectations of Luke were definitely subverting expectations but I don't think it damaged the trilogy as much as Johnson's blowing up things Abrams set up.

You can assign the blame where you like. Personally I lay it at the feet of Kennedy. Her inability to keep the story cohesive and swapping between directors with such incredibly different approaches was insane. I think a trilogy entirely directed by Abrams or a trilogy entirely directed by Johnson would have been far better than the Frankenstein we got. I might have disagreed with A LOT of Johnson's choices but the trilogy taken as a whole is such a mess largely because it's two competing visions.