Page 56 of 88 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    But do they need to? I mean why can't that just be handled in other media?
    If your movie doesn't make sense without referencing outside media it is a bad movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Star Wars has always been a corporate brand.
    Sure, but it was Lucas's weird quirky brand and was kind of unique. Now it is just a bland omnipresent "universe" like all the other Disney properties.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Convenient excuses. Doesn't explain ESB and RotJ.
    I think ESB and RotJ is obvious, ESB dropped one the most famous plot twists in history at the end, of course people are going to go and see it play out.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    But again, if only the opening week mattered, why did it keep making more?

Could perhaps the fact that it's the first Star Wars film to not have an A Cinema Score be the real reason why it sucked at the BO?

I look forward to the future when the casuals are gone and everyone realizes that holy **** the Last Jedi is the only good film from this saga. And TLJ wasn't horrible, it was a reboot, that did nothing to develop it's new characters and made a few really bad directional choices.

Prepare to wait a long time. Only SJW's thought it was a good movie.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Prepare to wait a long time. Only SJW's thought it was a good movie.
    Using SJW dissolves you from having any opinion on art. As only luddites would use that term.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    If your movie doesn't make sense without referencing outside media it is a bad movie.
    But why didn't it make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I wish TFA did more setting less fan service. I really do. But I don't feel it's 100% necessary. I think you can accept in 20 years post last movie, another big bad has come into play. It's not even close to outlandish when you consider the trunkated timeline of the prequels and OT where they're what 35 years or so. In 35 years you have so much happen. You have the fall of the republic, 2 galactic scale wars, the design and construction of the the Death Star and Second Death Star, so on so forth all taking place bang bang bang. WE know that in the EU Palpatine built the empire and death star to fight Yuuzhan Vong. Why couldn't it be like that? I mean again, I wouldn't hate the idea of a bit more setting and a bit less fan service. In a lot of ways TFA felt like TPM. It felt like there were hold for applause moments planned in the film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Sure, but it was Lucas's weird quirky brand and was kind of unique. Now it is just a bland omnipresent "universe" like all the other Disney properties.
    But what's wrong with universe and world building? I love world building myself. It's a bit of a passion project. I think the idea of exploring Star Wars universe which has barely been touched by media is great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriff3029 View Post
    I think ESB and RotJ is obvious, ESB dropped one the most famous plot twists in history at the end, of course people are going to go and see it play out.
    I think it has more to do with middle trilogy movies often being a box office let down if the Trilogy Starts strong. The fear of a sequel failure. It's a known thing. Sequels almost always sell worse than originals and finales usually represent a rebound. Not universally true of course. Films with huge cult followings often lead to bigger second films, films with outside factors (Heath Ledger dying right before TDK) and so on. Sometimes you have something people expect to not be good that winds up being great nad sales just keep going up (Jackson's Lord of the Rings) sometimes you have things people expect to be good but aren't and sales go down (Jackson's Hobbit) but again, generally sequels sell less than originals and planned finales tend to sell great. Consider if you will Harry Potter, before the final film, the best selling film without even adjusting for inflation is the original. Generally speaking your top performing films are the first and the last in a planned set. The middle is usually either a let down, or a building block. Even consider original XMen, where X2 outsold Xmen, X3 still outsold them all even thoughit sucked a big one. There's usually 2 ways the film goes, and it doesn't always have to do with the set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    But why didn't it make sense?
    If you thought it made sense, I'm not gonna try and convince you otherwise. But I found the whole movie extremely poorly written, made much worse by the fact that it turned it didn't even have answers in mind for the myriad questions it posed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    If you thought it made sense, I'm not gonna try and convince you otherwise. But I found the whole movie extremely poorly written, made much worse by the fact that it turned it didn't even have answers in mind for the myriad questions it posed.
    I agree that it asked a lot of questions with few answers. I feel like overall it was a greatest hits road trip.

What's interesting is consider the number of planetoids in each film.

Episode IV - 3 (Tatooine, Alderaan, and Yavin)
    Ep V - Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin
    EP VI - Tatooine, Dagobah, Endor
    Ep I - Naboo, Coruscant, Tatooine
    Ep II - Coruscant, Naboo, Tatooine, Komino, Geonosis
    Ep III - Too many to count because of order 66, but most of the movie takes place on Coruscant, Mustafar, and Utapau.
    Ep VII - Jakku, Takodana, Ilum, D'Qar, and features of Hosnian Prime and Ahch-To.

It had a lot of rides. But I'm largely with you on the fact that it could have been better. But that doesn't mean it's bad. I can accept that there's a world that needs a bit of building. I don't like that JJ flipped the board in Ep 9 dumping on every Star Wars film before it. I agree that the absence of a plan for the trilogy is it's ultimate undoing.

But I think that even with that, if Episode 9 hadn't been hot garbage, it would have been fine. Rian Johnson set up 9 to be a great film, as he stripped all the outside bull**** and got the characters down to the basics. Making them real, and have real connection and conflict, not just cut and paste Han, Luke, Vader, and Leia with a different skin. And honestly, I was fine with that being their start, to get people excited again, and then like Empire, TLJ raises the stakes and creates tension. Kylo Ren succeeds in his ultimate goal, now what. It asks a question we don't know. Instead ****ing JJ plops him in the back ****ing seat AGAIN making him Vader AGAIN. It's the worst character assassination done in a Star Wars film. If Adam Driver wasn't a fantastic actor, it would have gone over like ****. But he did great with the butt he was given. Seriously I stand by the opinion that TLJ did the hardest service, it answered questions and stripped everything down to set up an epic final chapter.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    A female-centric series set in the Star Wars universe is in the works at Disney+, according to Variety, with Netflix's Russian Doll co-creator and showrunner Leslye Headland behind the project. The series will reportedly be set elsewhere in the Star Wars timeline than existing projects, with Headland writing and running the show.

That’s going to land with a thud

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    A female-centric series set in the Star Wars universe is in the works at Disney+, according to Variety, with Netflix's Russian Doll co-creator and showrunner Leslye Headland behind the project. The series will reportedly be set elsewhere in the Star Wars timeline than existing projects, with Headland writing and running the show.

That’s going to land with a thud
    Only if it's poorly written. It will piss off some misogynistic fans but who cares about them? Star Wars has released successful female lead comics and books. Why couldn't they do a TV show?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I thought I didnt like Star Wars anymore. Then I listened to some of the legends content on youtube. Would have loved to see some of that. Would still love to see some of that.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    So I want to do is spend a little bit of time discussing random **** in things I've read and thought.

I'll do this sporadically with a new topic.

First is, Ki Adi Mundi is the cause of the fall of the Jedi. We've seen this before. But his actions seemingly have the most direct connection on the events that occur.

In Episode 1, it was him that first jumped on the bandwagon that the Sith hadn't returned. Which was something that probably lead to Dooku consulting the dark side.

In TCW Ki Adi Mundi is the one who doesn't let Obi Wan and Anakin assist Satine against Maul and Death Watch which leads to Maul screwing with a lot of stuff. He lead the charge against Ahsoka, which was a schism that set Anakin on the course of the Dark Side even more. He also accused Yoda of being influenced by the Dark Side when Yoda was contacted by Qui Gon's ghost.

Finally, imagine if Yoda was on Coruscant instead of Kashyyk. Imagine if He was there with Mace when they went after Palpatine, it would have been over so fast.

So final question, Ki Adi Mundi, unwitting agent of the darkside or just unlucky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Sadly we're down to one more episode of Clone Wars. Watching Rex turn on Ahsoka almost brought me to tears.

But it really does bring into mind a plot hole. Why didn't the clones turn on Anakin? There was nothing in the order that said "kill all jedi but Anakin, he's not a jedi any more." The only logic that kind of makes sense is the 501st doesn't have inhibitor chips, or weren't given the order. But Rex was given that order.

Anyway it makes me wish the theory I read was what they did. That the clone wars whittled down the jedi numbers and when Vader turned he murdered the rest of the Jedi. There was also no reason that they had to be fighting with the jedi. They could have been against the Jedi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    A bunch of announcements.

Confirmed Cassian and Obi Wan series. Also announced a new series written and ran by Leslye Headland, which is supposedly the female lead series.

Also announced a Feature film written and directed by Taika Waititi, and co-wrote by Krysty Wilson-Cairns

Also final episode of clone wars Le sigh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    So I want to do is spend a little bit of time discussing random **** in things I've read and thought.

First is, Ki Adi Mundi is the cause of the fall of the Jedi. We've seen this before. But his actions seemingly have the most direct connection on the events that occur.

In Episode 1, it was him that first jumped on the bandwagon that the Sith hadn't returned. Which was something that probably lead to Dooku consulting the dark side.

In TCW Ki Adi Mundi is the one who doesn't let Obi Wan and Anakin assist Satine against Maul and Death Watch which leads to Maul screwing with a lot of stuff. He lead the charge against Ahsoka, which was a schism that set Anakin on the course of the Dark Side even more. He also accused Yoda of being influenced by the Dark Side when Yoda was contacted by Qui Gon's ghost.

Finally, imagine if Yoda was on Coruscant instead of Kashyyk. Imagine if He was there with Mace when they went after Palpatine, it would have been over so fast.

So final question, Ki Adi Mundi, unwitting agent of the darkside or just unlucky?
    I actually noticed this as well.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    A bunch of announcements.

Confirmed Cassian and Obi Wan series. Also announced a new series written and ran by Leslye Headland, which is supposedly the female lead series.

Also announced a Feature film written and directed by Taika Waititi, and co-wrote by Krysty Wilson-Cairns

Also final episode of clone wars Le sigh
    Looking forward to the Taika Waititi movie. Huge fan of his work. Looks to be another guy that Disney has reeled in to do multiple projects across their empire.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

Just a pawn in the force balancing itself out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just a pawn in the force balancing itself out.
    I always enjoyed the weirdness of the chosen one prophecy. And Clone Wars did a great job to make it seem like it was a good thing what Anakin was supposed to do. Not a bad thing.