Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
I think the "waste", at least with Snoke, comes from the sequel-trilogy's seeming desire to destabilize, disrupt, or outright defy our expectations. A big fancy high-stakes-but-not-really battle would've been just what the sci-fi operatic action narrative called for—so the film actively resists it.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about this new sequel (which I saw on Friday night). I know it wasn't the fun nostalgia-bomb that was The Force Awakens' setting-the-ground narrative, but two of those would've probably been boring; I know I'm apt to trust Rian Johnson, based on his other work; and I know this new film is difficult in a good way, which hasn't really been true—as much as I love the original trilogy—of any film outside Empire (which is its best part, though not its most fun—that's A New Hope, for sure). Overall, I guess I'm reserving judgment until I see where the final film goes—but it is quite exciting, if also nostalgically sad, to see them try to blow up all the rules to forge forward. And there's something to be said for critiquing the idea that the Hero, the Jedi, the Good and Ordered Faith somehow has a monopoly on the Force, or on Star Wars, or on stories in general.
The taking risks part of the film is definitely to be lauded with something this iconic, but some of the risks worked and some did not. You want to do what isn't expected? That would've been Rey joining Kylo and damned if that scene didn't call for it. It felt wrong for her to walk away. And the Snoke scene still had that battle you're talking about, just not with Snoke.