Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

As what I like to call Star Wars month is rolling around the corner. Figured other nerds could use a place to discuss it.

Starts with the Battlefront launch next week and rolls on through the movie launch just 31 days after that.

ANyway just figure mah nerds and I can discuss it.

First off, classic Star Wars fan thing to do, bitch about Lucas. What is in your opinion the biggest travesty Lucas did to the originals in his remastering?

To me the biggest was probably the last one he did when he put ****ing Hayden Christensen in as the force Vader. The idea of it happening that way is just dumb. Why is that where he went? Where he was at his weakest as a jedi? Not when he overcame the darkside to kill the emperor and embrace the light side? Stupid stupid Lucas.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    As what I like to call Star Wars month is rolling around the corner. Figured other nerds could use a place to discuss it.

Starts with the Battlefront launch next week and rolls on through the movie launch just 31 days after that.

ANyway just figure mah nerds and I can discuss it.

First off, classic Star Wars fan thing to do, bitch about Lucas. What is in your opinion the biggest travesty Lucas did to the originals in his remastering?

To me the biggest was probably the last one he did when he put ****ing Hayden Christensen in as the force Vader. The idea of it happening that way is just dumb. Why is that where he went? Where he was at his weakest as a jedi? Not when he overcame the darkside to kill the emperor and embrace the light side? Stupid stupid Lucas.
    I didn't really like that either but in the end it's just visuals. But making Han NOT shoot first is an even bigger travesty. It just takes away his character progression imo. He was the scoundrel that became a general for the rebels. Now its' like he was always good from the start when that isn't necessarily the case. Also making Vader say 'NO' at the end of Jedi is dumb too. His silent internal struggle made that a classic scene that gets dampened a bit with the addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I largely agree. I wouldn't call Han shooting first or reacting a massive change in character except that I think him shooting first shows his survival instincts at their highest, not that he was a scoundrel myself. I see your point and it's a bad change. I just hate when they made unnecessary changes to the original to make them more "in line" with the prequels. Which is bull ****. Same thing happeend with changing Boba's voice. Small change, no one probably noticed it much, but stupid and unnecessary.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Also another piece of dialogue that got changed which slightly changes Han's character in Jedi when he shoots the sarlacc tentacle on Lando's leg. Han of course is still slightly blind when he fires his gun. Originally Han says 'Trust me' which first of all is a Han thing to say and it's a play back to Lando from Empire when he tells Han to trust him right before he serves them up to Vader. Now it got dumbed down to Han saying 'I can see a lot better'.

Like 99% of the changes are pointless and make the movies worse. the only thing I can think of that I like is them showing scenes of celebration around the Galaxy at the end of Jedi.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (11-16-2015), zitothebrave (11-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I agree 100%. I can't relaly think of any other changes he made that seem like they even remotely fit. I mean some of it I understand his thinking, but most people love the originals. And as the popularity of old scifi stays strong, I can't imagine people looking back on the 70s and 80s filsm saying "man I wish we had ****ting late 90s/early 2000s CGI in them"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    For my birthday, my gf got me the Star Destroyer Lego Set. So I built that while watchign the trilogy. It was a good day. Though the sad part was I discovered my A New Hope theater cut was missing. Gonna have to scope around my old DVD player I think. Hopefully I didn't throw it out. Cause I'd be a sad Panda to have lost my theatrical A New Hope. If you've seen what those DVDs sell for online, you'd understand why.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    You guys aren't good nerds. Is Luke Skywalker Emperor Snoke of the First order? There has to be a reason Luke Skywalker and Emperor Snoke are missing from all the promotional materials. In Dark Horse's Star Wars the Dark Empire Luke turned to the Dark Side only to be saved by Leia. Disney has stated the entire expanded universe is dead. The original ending of Return of the Jedi would lead you to believe Luke may have very well turned to the Dark Side. Discuss.

Zito. Do you have the Lego Club Exclusive Millennium Falcon. Best Lego Set ever made.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Andy Serkis is Snope i thought.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    You guys aren't good nerds. Is Luke Skywalker Emperor Snoke of the First order? There has to be a reason Luke Skywalker and Emperor Snoke are missing from all the promotional materials. In Dark Horse's Star Wars the Dark Empire Luke turned to the Dark Side only to be saved by Leia. Disney has stated the entire expanded universe is dead. The original ending of Return of the Jedi would lead you to believe Luke may have very well turned to the Dark Side. Discuss.

Zito. Do you have the Lego Club Exclusive Millennium Falcon. Best Lego Set ever made.
    Sadly no I don't. Star Destroyer was my first big Lego Star Wars set. Others are bound to follow. As I love Legos and Star Wars. I want an X-Wing, but first I'm getting the Doctor Who set.

As far as my guess. Luke is in exile similar to Yoda or Obi Wan. Luke became a truly great Jedi but was either exiled because his powers were too great and the other people were threatened, or he feared that he would go to the Dark Side if he continued his involvement in the war.

How do you figure the original ending would imply that Luke turned to the Dark Side? Because of lashing out on the emperor? He didn't actually kill him so I don't think he turned. Him not killing his father was to me the thing that signified him not going to the Dark Side, and seeing his mentors (with his father joining them as a redeemed Jedi)

I don't really have a ton of theories to be honest. I think that Kylo Ren is gonna attack Han and Leia because he wants to turn Luke to the dark side.

Read a decent number of rumors on Snoke. One being he's reincarnated Plagueis. I think that's unlikely. I'm almost sure he's a sith or force sensitive being with dark powers.

I'm really excited to see how they do it. Really can't be worse than the prequels I think.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Really wish the Darth Jar Jar theory was real.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Even if he was a sith he wouldn't be called Darth Jar Jar. Just saying

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    A lot of rumors point to Snoke being Plagueis. Things that Serkis has said about the character suggest it but it could just be him saying that to throw people off. That being said he is the Emperor of this trilogy. Luke is almost certain to be the Obiwon type to help usher in the new generation of Jedi (Likely Finn and Rey). As far as this movie being a success. If it's as good as Sith/Jedi then it will be a win. Honestly anything better than Menace is a win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Andy Serkis is Snope i thought.
    Yes and Snoke is an alien as Serkis did it with motion capture. The mystery around Snoke so far makes it seem likely he could be a kind of familiar face though. Which is why the grumblings of Luke being him are there. I can't see that being the way it goes. I'm gonna guess Luke shows up at the end of the first film to save Finn from Kylo Ren and dies in the second film after he trains Rey and Finn.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I think that Luke is a bad guy in the film. He may not be a bad guy when the credits roll but he will be in the beginning. There's an old interview where Mark Hammil said that he and George Lucas discussed Luke being a bad guy in episode 7 and they were both into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I think that Luke is a bad guy in the film. He may not be a bad guy when the credits roll but he will be in the beginning. There's an old interview where Mark Hammil said that he and George Lucas discussed Luke being a bad guy in episode 7 and they were both into it.
    I don't think that's the way it will go. Unless Abrams takes Star Wars a different way. Only Anakin was able to return from the Dark Side in canon and doing that effectively killed him (basically became a martyr in a way)

Personally I hope for a more ambiguous look at the force. I don't like the 2 finite good and bad and hope for some in between stuff and I think Finn could be a vehicle for that. But based on comments I think new Star Wars could be more tame than the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    OK so final theory time.

1. Rey and Finn are both Jedis. Rey is a Skywalker. Finn I feel like will be more of a Grey Jedi, susceptible to perhaps the Darkside at time. A lot of people speculate that Finn isn't a Jedi, he's just got Anakin's old lightsaber, I think they're both Jedis though. I think the Knights of Ren present a foe where multiple Jedis will be necessary to battle.

2. Snoke is not Plagueis. I know this is popular, but I think instead he'll be a second disciple of Plagueis. Acting more like Plagueis acted and hid from Sideous knowing Sideous would kill him.

3. Vader is a martyr for the First Order. Explains what was said in the trailer by Ren. Vader was seen as a great leader to many and I'm sure many think that the Rebels killed him in cold blood.

4. Someone big is gonna die. Not sure who it will be. But someone big will die.

5. Luke is in exile similar to Yoda and Obi Wan. But the Knights of Ren attacking his friends and family draws him out. This theory is based upon the idea that Luke became super powerful but was feared of turning, or perhaps was coerced into turning to exile because everyone was afraid of his powers. I don't consider that last part likely.

6. Lens flares everywhere. Get ready for it. I dont' think it will be as bad as Star Trek, but Abrams loves using Lens Flares so be ready.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Independence Day 2 > Star Wars

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Independence Day 2 > Star Wars
    NOOOOOOO!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Who think this beats Jurrasic World for largest opening weekend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    NOOOOOOO!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    Search your feelings

Oh wait, yup it's impossible.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post: