Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The issue that I agree with you is it makes it hard for Anakin to fall. Though it provides another punctuation point with Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order.

But honestly to me I agree it's not super believable. I think a better take would have been Anakin killing a jedi who found out about him and Padme and threatened to tell the council and he lashed out in "defense" and Palpatine was there to comfort him as the first step down the darkside, not Cutting off Dooku's head.

Though again, I think Lucas had the right idea that the Jedi Order sewed the seeds of their failure by their strict rules on things there shouldn't have been strict rules on.
    Anakin turning on another Jedi for the sake of him and Padme makes so much more sense. Him going from killing Dooku to killing children is just a leap.

There just wasn't enough driving a wedge between him and the Jedi. He might want Palpatine alive but that doesn't mean he'd want kids dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Watched attack of the clones last night and there are parts of that movie that are full cringe worthy.

A lot like Rotj
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Anakin turning on another Jedi for the sake of him and Padme makes so much more sense. Him going from killing Dooku to killing children is just a leap.

There just wasn't enough driving a wedge between him and the Jedi. He might want Palpatine alive but that doesn't mean he'd want kids dead.
    Yeah, it was like pushing fast forward. There wasn't even like a debate. It was like cut off Windu's hands, palp kills him, welp, guess I'm a Sith now. Not even like, man I should really talk to the Council about what happened.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Woke Disney fired Gina Carano today. Shanghai Disney is still up and running though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Woke Disney fired Gina Carano today. Shanghai Disney is still up and running though
    She's been trying to get fired. It's the only explanation for her behavior. You don't compare being a republican in America today to being a Jew in Nazi Europe without either being impossibly stupid or wanting to get fired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    She's been trying to get fired. It's the only explanation for her behavior. You don't compare being a republican in America today to being a Jew in Nazi Europe without either being impossibly stupid or wanting to get fired.
    I think if I had an actor under contract, part of the contract would be that my studio gets to control their social media. Honestly, if I was a celebrity I wouldn't have social media at all and if I did it would be run by a PR company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Wtf
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I think if I had an actor under contract, part of the contract would be that my studio gets to control their social media. Honestly, if I was a celebrity I wouldn't have social media at all and if I did it would be run by a PR company.
    I wouldn't have my own social media for sure. Like what do you gain to benefit from doing it? Only exception I could see is a comedian. Even they have gotten into trouble cause of old tweets (Kevin Hart, James Gunn)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Watched the sequel trilogy today. Man Rise of Skywalker is a dumpster fire. It has moments, but overall as a film it fails so hard.

How does Snap Wexley take off in an A-Wing and die in an X-Wing, Pryce saying use ion cannons then we immediately see a ship get it's wing busted off, something an ion cannon wouldn't do, for some reason in the final battle Poe doesn't have BB-8 as his droid he uses R2, Kylo flying to exegol in an Empire era Tie, aka one without a hyperdrive, And the most egregious bad taste, where Rey takes Anakin's lightsaber (which has no reason to exist in this film, why did she not build her own saber, or get Luke's green saber, which somehow just doesn't exist) and buries it in sand. What a slight to the former Jedi to bury his lightsaber in a substance that he doesn't like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Watched the sequel trilogy today. Man Rise of Skywalker is a dumpster fire. It has moments, but overall as a film it fails so hard.

How does Snap Wexley take off in an A-Wing and die in an X-Wing, Pryce saying use ion cannons then we immediately see a ship get it's wing busted off, something an ion cannon wouldn't do, for some reason in the final battle Poe doesn't have BB-8 as his droid he uses R2, Kylo flying to exegol in an Empire era Tie, aka one without a hyperdrive, And the most egregious bad taste, where Rey takes Anakin's lightsaber (which has no reason to exist in this film, why did she not build her own saber, or get Luke's green saber, which somehow just doesn't exist) and buries it in sand. What a slight to the former Jedi to bury his lightsaber in a substance that he doesn't like.
    This is the problem you have when you don't have a Star Wars geek like Dave Filoni in the room writing the story and checking everything against Star Wars orthodoxy. It's another thing that falls on Kennedy. I honestly don't think she understands Star Wars or its fans. I think she sees it as a string of entertainment products and not as a cohesive universe. She clearly doesn't understand the degree to which Star Wars fans immerse themselves in the universe.

To create good Star Wars content at this point I think you need to let the universe inform your story. You need to look at the universe, look at points of interest, find where a story fits in, and go from there. I feel like the sequel trilogy was a story that Star Wars elements were just draped on. There was very little attempt to explore the universe, find areas where a new story would fit, and weave it in seamlessly with existing canon. That's why so many things just don't make sense.

You mentioned the tie fighter without a hyper drive or the ion cannon that somehow does physical damage. There's also the fact that Star Killer base's beam crosses interstellar distances in moments or the fact that you can destroy massive ships by simply ramming them with smaller ships at light speed (why not have a fleet of old, giant freighters that you have droids pilot into Star Destroyers?).

There was just minimal attempt to get these stories to fit in the universe and that shows very little understanding of Star Wars fans.
    Last edited by striker42; 02-12-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I don't think it falls on a star wars fan fro most of my gripes here. Like most of them are simple continuity **** that a director shouldn't make mistakes.

To me what frustrates me is how great The Last Jedi is. It was a stark difference in the quality of a performance between Episode 7 and 8 in acting. Carrie Fisher was amazing in Episode VIII, she was quite flat in VII. Which I think comes from Rian Johnson having a better vision of Leia and doing a better job writing for her. To me the ****ty nature of Episode 9 hurts 7 and 8. Bringing back JJ Abrams was a colossal mistake. He cannot finish a story to save his life because he is obsessed with his mystery boxes. Like the actual first 20-30 minutes of the film was just new **** being introduced into the Trilogy. Dyad in the force, Palpatine coming back, etc. and the lack of payoff. Chewie is dead, 2 scenes later, he's not dead! 3PO has his memory wiped, who cares it gets restored by R2D2. Kajimi is destroyed and Poe's love interest and Babu Frick are dead because her one way off the planet as she said was gone. Oh wait they're not! Add in killing off Nien Numb off screen because Palps caused force lightning to destroy the Tantive IV (which I mean if that ship still existed, what a ****ty way for JJ to continue his ****ting on Star Wars history)

Really the issue I have was JJ. i liked the script from Treverrow, it wasn't ideal, but it fleshed out some interesting plot points and JJ picked the best ideas from that scripts and just dumped on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Spicy Meme drop time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I don't think it falls on a star wars fan fro most of my gripes here. Like most of them are simple continuity **** that a director shouldn't make mistakes.

To me what frustrates me is how great The Last Jedi is. It was a stark difference in the quality of a performance between Episode 7 and 8 in acting. Carrie Fisher was amazing in Episode VIII, she was quite flat in VII. Which I think comes from Rian Johnson having a better vision of Leia and doing a better job writing for her. To me the ****ty nature of Episode 9 hurts 7 and 8. Bringing back JJ Abrams was a colossal mistake. He cannot finish a story to save his life because he is obsessed with his mystery boxes. Like the actual first 20-30 minutes of the film was just new **** being introduced into the Trilogy. Dyad in the force, Palpatine coming back, etc. and the lack of payoff. Chewie is dead, 2 scenes later, he's not dead! 3PO has his memory wiped, who cares it gets restored by R2D2. Kajimi is destroyed and Poe's love interest and Babu Frick are dead because her one way off the planet as she said was gone. Oh wait they're not! Add in killing off Nien Numb off screen because Palps caused force lightning to destroy the Tantive IV (which I mean if that ship still existed, what a ****ty way for JJ to continue his ****ting on Star Wars history)

Really the issue I have was JJ. i liked the script from Treverrow, it wasn't ideal, but it fleshed out some interesting plot points and JJ picked the best ideas from that scripts and just dumped on them.
    Neither director was a good fit for the core saga and putting them together tore the story apart. JJ was obsessed with mystery boxes, Johnson was obsessed with turning things on their head and subverting audience expectations (he also wasted a third of the movie on an irrelevant side quest). When you add in their tug of war over the story it because a complete mess. It was so bad that you got to the end and had you wondering why one of the central characters (Finn) was even in the movies.

They might have been better at anthology movies but when you're making movies that fit into an existing storyline you need to try to stick to the same tone as the original storyline. Neither director could do that. They wanted to do their own thing and the result was a disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Your obsession with TLJ is super weird.

That movie was crap sandwich
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I read a good theory as to why Baby Yoda (I refuse to use the name Grogu as it's stupid) wouldn't have died at Luke's temple.

First, there's no guarantee he was still there. There's a good chance he's reunited with Mando well before.

Second, even if he is at the temple, he's likely a nearly fully trained Jedi. We know that Baby Yoda is 50 years old. We also know Original Yoda was a Jedi Master by age 100. To be a Jedi Master you have to train a padawan to Jedi Knight status, a process that takes years (and Jedi Knights rarely get Padawans right away from what I can tell). So there has to be some rapid development at some point for Yoda species for Original Yoda to have gone from 50 year old baby to Jedi Knight to Jedi Master in 50 years.

We also know that the temple was destroyed about 19 years after Baby Yoda leaves with Luke. So Baby Yoda would be 69 at the time the Temple was destroyed. The likely timeline would make Baby Yoda probably close to full Jedi Knight status.

Next, there were others that escaped the temple. In the comics the story of, IIRC, three survivors is told. If these escaped, there's a good chance an extremely gifted, near Jedi Knight Baby Yoda would have been able to survive.

Ultimately I think the answer will be that he leaves the temple early to go with Mando. Disney isn't going to off screen implied kill their single most valuable character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Neither director was a good fit for the core saga and putting them together tore the story apart. JJ was obsessed with mystery boxes, Johnson was obsessed with turning things on their head and subverting audience expectations (he also wasted a third of the movie on an irrelevant side quest). When you add in their tug of war over the story it because a complete mess. It was so bad that you got to the end and had you wondering why one of the central characters (Finn) was even in the movies.

They might have been better at anthology movies but when you're making movies that fit into an existing storyline you need to try to stick to the same tone as the original storyline. Neither director could do that. They wanted to do their own thing and the result was a disaster.
    YAWN. I'm tired of explaining the importance of the side plot. It's been done a dozen time. Ignoring it is just ignoring it at this point.

There also was no tug of war, Johnson took the story as it was laid out and ran with it. If JJ wanted Rey to be a Palpatine, he should have made it clear. There's nothing he did that countered any story before him. He may have subverted some fan expectations, but that's not a tug of war over the story.

I disagree that Last Jedi didn't fit the form. It drew from Lucas's inspirations for Star Wars as well as Star Wars.