Page 34 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Cool. Rey is super woman
    Rey is a powerful force user. As is Luke. As is Snoke, as is Ren. Sorry that you don't like her, she's a pretty interesting character. But I do enjoy the slow decline into a red piller that you've become.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    What's a red pillar?

I loved the original star wars.

I hated the prequels.

I didn't like TFA

I loved Rogue One

I was entertained by TLJ but massively disappointed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    You don't show much love for the OT if you don't like the current trilogy. It's steeped in similar mythology. The difference is that the OT is now fleshed out a lot more.In 10 years or so this trilogy will be fleshed out a lot more. WE'll learn more about Rey, Poe, etc. Phasma was fleshed out a **** ton in a novel for example. We didn't really know as much about Luke or the Skywalkers until we had the prequels and other novels.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I liked TLJ...

But Zito - it’s definitely okay if others didn’t. I don’t understand this religious zealotry you have with this movie.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (01-04-2018), Tapate50 (01-04-2018), The Chosen One (01-04-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    She also managed to out force him by pulling the light Saber.

When earlier in the movie kylo was able to stop bullets in mid air and read thoughts.

Just didn't make sense to me. But like I said if you like it then thats all that matters
    It was also shown earlier in the movie that the force was awakening in Rey (hence the title) when she infiltrated Kylo's mind while he was trying to do the same to her. She grew in the force exponentially during the movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don’t understand this religious zealotry you have with this movie.
    BEcause people are dumb. I'm tired of dumb opinions. Especially when people pretend to know about the lore when they don't.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    BEcause people are dumb. I'm tired of dumb opinions. Especially when people pretend to know about the lore when they don't.

You constantly undercut the guy who was responsible with making the Lore in the first place.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    You constantly undercut the guy who was responsible with making the Lore in the first place.
    Not really. I love Lucas's big picture stuff. Just the prequels are not good movies.

Don't get me wrong, he's allowed to do what he wants, but I think the star wars saga has done a better job being on task under Disney.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Not really. I love Lucas's big picture stuff. Just the prequels are not good movies.

Don't get me wrong, he's allowed to do what he wants, but I think the star wars saga has done a better job being on task under Disney.

I dont think it was Disney. Lucas has all these grand ideas and he had Kastan clean them up on Empire and Return, that’s why they were so great. There was a buffer. There was no buffer on the prequels that’s why there were so horrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I dont think it was Disney. Lucas has all these grand ideas and he had Kastan clean them up on Empire and Return, that’s why they were so great. There was a buffer. There was no buffer on the prequels that’s why there were so horrible.
    I wouldn't outright call the prequels horrible, I would say that they were not great films, certainly not great blockbusters. Again, no one cares about trade embargos and political intrigue.

A lot of the general plotlines of the prequels are interesting, the Jedi being a failure because they let the Sith control the galaxy from right under their noses add in the finding/training of Anakin who became Vader. Then you have some cool things discussed. Unfortunately a lot of it gets bogged down in unnecessary technical stuff and some poor choices (like showing Anakin as a kid then later as a teenager/young adult and changing none of the cast) That's why the Clone Wars was great, it let Lucas tell the polical tails as well as set up the fall of Anakin in a believable manner and it was able to do it because it wasn't confined to 2 hour films. Similar to how Rebels has captured a ton of cool concepts (force beings like the Bendu, Inquisitors, seeds of rebellion leading to the unification of the Rebel Alliance, and many more) and that's where I think Disney has succeeded in continuity. They haven't over explained everything on film. You don't need to see a vote against Chancellor Valorum, you don't need a 5 minute spiel about Midichlorians, you don't need a seemingly going nowhere Obi Wan vs. Jango thing.

Really the prequels had some great ideas, but the execution just wasn't quite right and that's why most hated it. I'm personally glad the bandage was ripped off for this film, I wasn't a big fan of all the "who's Snoke, who's Rey's parents, etc." that Abrams created in TFA. I appreciated it because it was stylistically brilliant and it was at that point in time the best directed Star Wars film (TLJ smokes it though, Johnson shows he's the superior director to Abrams)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Got back from the 3rd viewing for me. A few small things I picked up. First knowing how everything is working out, you can really appreciate the true spit in the face of the Deus Ex Machina that appeared to be DJ, and it was pretty clear that he wasn't gonna be part of the "good guys" and it is clear that how everything just miraculously worked around him was not gonna keep happening. Pretty smart. Also knowing what we know now about Snoke and Kylo it slightly clears up Luke's second lesson. He's talking about why he can't go back because the Jedi failed again. The hubris was his own, the legend that grew in his absence all that stuff he said about the Jedi Order was true of him. Smart decision overall to go that route, but Luke changes because of Yoda's message and changes for Rey and the Resistance.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    So have we decided the logic and reasoning for how Rose and Finn were 5 yards away from the AT Walkers when she saved him, and somehow Finn is allowed to drag Rose on a metal plate unscathed and without being attacked by any of the First Order for a few hundred yards?

And the whole "we're not gonna win fighting what we hate but saving what we love" might have been the corniest and most misplaced dialogue/scene in the movie. Not only was it a complete 180 of the reality of what was going on but just plain bad. The Resistance was pinned down inside the bunker. Luke saved them. They were almost wiped out, so her saving Finn would have been entirely moot and wasted if not for Luke's diversion.

And still, I don't care if you wanna justify it by saying all the FO were focused on Luke. They could clearly see Finn dragging Rose outside on a metal plate. Hux just saw him an hour before that on Snoke's ship. But not one ship was firing at Finn, nor did any FO officers go down to arrest/capture them.

BUT. Great writing. Masterpiece.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Brilliant writing, really. Maybe the beat movie ever made

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    So have we decided the logic and reasoning for how Rose and Finn were 5 yards away from the AT Walkers when she saved him, and somehow Finn is allowed to drag Rose on a metal plate unscathed and without being attacked by any of the First Order for a few hundred yards?

And the whole "we're not gonna win fighting what we hate but saving what we love" might have been the corniest and most misplaced dialogue/scene in the movie. Not only was it a complete 180 of the reality of what was going on but just plain bad. The Resistance was pinned down inside the bunker. Luke saved them. They were almost wiped out, so her saving Finn would have been entirely moot and wasted if not for Luke's diversion.

And still, I don't care if you wanna justify it by saying all the FO were focused on Luke. They could clearly see Finn dragging Rose outside on a metal plate. Hux just saw him an hour before that on Snoke's ship. But not one ship was firing at Finn, nor did any FO officers go down to arrest/capture them.

BUT. Great writing. Masterpiece.
    That was horrible

Should have let him drive it up the Rams beam. Finns an awful
    Character imo
    Ivermectin Man

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    You guys are letting zeets push you way too far on the nit-pick negging of this film.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You guys are letting zeets push you way too far on the nit-pick negging of this film.
    I think Finn dragging rose 200 yards without any First Order intervention is a legit nitpick. Bigger than Rose closing ground in Finn after she turned around completely when Poe called off the attack. Finn picked up speed and Rose somehow cut the deficit and overtook him in the slow broken down speeders.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think Finn dragging rose 200 yards without any First Order intervention is a legit nitpick. Bigger than Rose closing ground in Finn after she turned around completely when Poe called off the attack. Finn picked up speed and Rose somehow cut the deficit and overtook him in the slow broken down speeders.
    That's a relatively easy one to explain. Finn's vehicle clearly was facing a **** ton of resistance in the beam of the battering ram cannon. It was clearly shown on the film.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

1. Luke's distraction. He showed up basically right afterwards. That barrage took quite some time. As far as how long, who knows.

2. It was corny as hell. But it was thematic to the point of the film, to embrace what was great about the OT, rather than just dump on the prequels.

3. You think anyone in the first order would disobey Kylo Ren? When Hux attempted to Ren simply threw him away and the lower in command immediately complied. As far as why, remember that the order from Ren was no quarter. So they assumed they would be destroyed eventually anyway. You're assuming that Finn and Rose mean that much to the first order, which Kylo Ren is the leader. He cared about Luke and Luke only. He wanted to end the resistance, breaking off any point of this to focus on 2 people would have been counterproductive to his goal

Use your head SAV, you are smarter than the rabble (by rabble I mean sturg)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think Finn dragging rose 200 yards without any First Order intervention is a legit nitpick.
    And somehow a few blasts from an "ion cannon" dissuaded Star Destroyers from barraging Rebel Transports. Or Jaws killing Stormtroopers with rocks. I could go on. You're attempting to logic pick a space Opera that never followed logic.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-12-2018)