Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

As what I like to call Star Wars month is rolling around the corner. Figured other nerds could use a place to discuss it.

Starts with the Battlefront launch next week and rolls on through the movie launch just 31 days after that.

ANyway just figure mah nerds and I can discuss it.

First off, classic Star Wars fan thing to do, bitch about Lucas. What is in your opinion the biggest travesty Lucas did to the originals in his remastering?

To me the biggest was probably the last one he did when he put ****ing Hayden Christensen in as the force Vader. The idea of it happening that way is just dumb. Why is that where he went? Where he was at his weakest as a jedi? Not when he overcame the darkside to kill the emperor and embrace the light side? Stupid stupid Lucas.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    As what I like to call Star Wars month is rolling around the corner. Figured other nerds could use a place to discuss it.

Starts with the Battlefront launch next week and rolls on through the movie launch just 31 days after that.

ANyway just figure mah nerds and I can discuss it.

First off, classic Star Wars fan thing to do, bitch about Lucas. What is in your opinion the biggest travesty Lucas did to the originals in his remastering?

To me the biggest was probably the last one he did when he put ****ing Hayden Christensen in as the force Vader. The idea of it happening that way is just dumb. Why is that where he went? Where he was at his weakest as a jedi? Not when he overcame the darkside to kill the emperor and embrace the light side? Stupid stupid Lucas.
    I didn't really like that either but in the end it's just visuals. But making Han NOT shoot first is an even bigger travesty. It just takes away his character progression imo. He was the scoundrel that became a general for the rebels. Now its' like he was always good from the start when that isn't necessarily the case. Also making Vader say 'NO' at the end of Jedi is dumb too. His silent internal struggle made that a classic scene that gets dampened a bit with the addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I largely agree. I wouldn't call Han shooting first or reacting a massive change in character except that I think him shooting first shows his survival instincts at their highest, not that he was a scoundrel myself. I see your point and it's a bad change. I just hate when they made unnecessary changes to the original to make them more "in line" with the prequels. Which is bull ****. Same thing happeend with changing Boba's voice. Small change, no one probably noticed it much, but stupid and unnecessary.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Also another piece of dialogue that got changed which slightly changes Han's character in Jedi when he shoots the sarlacc tentacle on Lando's leg. Han of course is still slightly blind when he fires his gun. Originally Han says 'Trust me' which first of all is a Han thing to say and it's a play back to Lando from Empire when he tells Han to trust him right before he serves them up to Vader. Now it got dumbed down to Han saying 'I can see a lot better'.

Like 99% of the changes are pointless and make the movies worse. the only thing I can think of that I like is them showing scenes of celebration around the Galaxy at the end of Jedi.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (11-16-2015), zitothebrave (11-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I agree 100%. I can't relaly think of any other changes he made that seem like they even remotely fit. I mean some of it I understand his thinking, but most people love the originals. And as the popularity of old scifi stays strong, I can't imagine people looking back on the 70s and 80s filsm saying "man I wish we had ****ting late 90s/early 2000s CGI in them"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    For my birthday, my gf got me the Star Destroyer Lego Set. So I built that while watchign the trilogy. It was a good day. Though the sad part was I discovered my A New Hope theater cut was missing. Gonna have to scope around my old DVD player I think. Hopefully I didn't throw it out. Cause I'd be a sad Panda to have lost my theatrical A New Hope. If you've seen what those DVDs sell for online, you'd understand why.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Andy Serkis is Snope i thought.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Andy Serkis is Snope i thought.
    Yes and Snoke is an alien as Serkis did it with motion capture. The mystery around Snoke so far makes it seem likely he could be a kind of familiar face though. Which is why the grumblings of Luke being him are there. I can't see that being the way it goes. I'm gonna guess Luke shows up at the end of the first film to save Finn from Kylo Ren and dies in the second film after he trains Rey and Finn.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I think that Luke is a bad guy in the film. He may not be a bad guy when the credits roll but he will be in the beginning. There's an old interview where Mark Hammil said that he and George Lucas discussed Luke being a bad guy in episode 7 and they were both into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I think that Luke is a bad guy in the film. He may not be a bad guy when the credits roll but he will be in the beginning. There's an old interview where Mark Hammil said that he and George Lucas discussed Luke being a bad guy in episode 7 and they were both into it.
    I don't think that's the way it will go. Unless Abrams takes Star Wars a different way. Only Anakin was able to return from the Dark Side in canon and doing that effectively killed him (basically became a martyr in a way)

Personally I hope for a more ambiguous look at the force. I don't like the 2 finite good and bad and hope for some in between stuff and I think Finn could be a vehicle for that. But based on comments I think new Star Wars could be more tame than the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    OK so final theory time.

1. Rey and Finn are both Jedis. Rey is a Skywalker. Finn I feel like will be more of a Grey Jedi, susceptible to perhaps the Darkside at time. A lot of people speculate that Finn isn't a Jedi, he's just got Anakin's old lightsaber, I think they're both Jedis though. I think the Knights of Ren present a foe where multiple Jedis will be necessary to battle.

2. Snoke is not Plagueis. I know this is popular, but I think instead he'll be a second disciple of Plagueis. Acting more like Plagueis acted and hid from Sideous knowing Sideous would kill him.

3. Vader is a martyr for the First Order. Explains what was said in the trailer by Ren. Vader was seen as a great leader to many and I'm sure many think that the Rebels killed him in cold blood.

4. Someone big is gonna die. Not sure who it will be. But someone big will die.

5. Luke is in exile similar to Yoda and Obi Wan. But the Knights of Ren attacking his friends and family draws him out. This theory is based upon the idea that Luke became super powerful but was feared of turning, or perhaps was coerced into turning to exile because everyone was afraid of his powers. I don't consider that last part likely.

6. Lens flares everywhere. Get ready for it. I dont' think it will be as bad as Star Trek, but Abrams loves using Lens Flares so be ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    OK so final theory time.

1. Rey and Finn are both Jedis. Rey is a Skywalker. Finn I feel like will be more of a Grey Jedi, susceptible to perhaps the Darkside at time. A lot of people speculate that Finn isn't a Jedi, he's just got Anakin's old lightsaber, I think they're both Jedis though. I think the Knights of Ren present a foe where multiple Jedis will be necessary to battle.

2. Snoke is not Plagueis. I know this is popular, but I think instead he'll be a second disciple of Plagueis. Acting more like Plagueis acted and hid from Sideous knowing Sideous would kill him.

3. Vader is a martyr for the First Order. Explains what was said in the trailer by Ren. Vader was seen as a great leader to many and I'm sure many think that the Rebels killed him in cold blood.

4. Someone big is gonna die. Not sure who it will be. But someone big will die.

5. Luke is in exile similar to Yoda and Obi Wan. But the Knights of Ren attacking his friends and family draws him out. This theory is based upon the idea that Luke became super powerful but was feared of turning, or perhaps was coerced into turning to exile because everyone was afraid of his powers. I don't consider that last part likely.

6. Lens flares everywhere. Get ready for it. I dont' think it will be as bad as Star Trek, but Abrams loves using Lens Flares so be ready.
    Gonna address these with the whole spoiler wrap

Spoiler: 
    1. Not right, at least not yet. I can't help but assume Rey is a Skywalker, maybe the child of Luke and one of his apprentices and it's the real reason he went to exile, I don't know. Finn I still tihnk will be force sensitive. But maybe he's just force sensitive in the possible manner like people theorize Han.

2. No answer here. Nothing really given out about Snoke at all in the first film. Aside from obviously him being the Sith Master.

3. Kind of right. Vader was used at the very least as a martyr/inspiration for Kylo. ANd the expanded universe is obviously thrown out here since Ben Skywalker is Han and Leia's son, not Luke and Mara Jade's.

4. Yup, I knew someone big was gonna die and was telling people it would be Han or Chewie. They made the most logical sense for one of them to die. Han being truly the most likely to die because of the impact it would have on the rest of the roster.

5. Right on the first idea, wrong about the Knights of Ren bringing him out, and wrong on why he went to exile. I am a little shocked that he went into exile for the same basic reason Obi Wan did. I'd think there would have been a little bit of a twist, though there's still time for that twist.

6. THere were less than I expected but still a good amount. Lightsaber lens flare is a new one though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    General thoughts, wrapped around spoilers

Spoiler: 
    1. Starkiller base is really freaking crazy. Obviously the concept is truly impossible, but good fantasy doesn't have to be possible, just cool.

2. I like how they explained how Finn came into being, and did it without the prequels 7 minutes of walking and talking. It's a good idea that it was conditioning and there's potentially a whole army of troopers who could be swayed to the light side as they're not clones.

3. The questions I came away with. Obviously the big one, who are Rey's parents. There were some light hints in the Jedi vision she had, light hints that Luke may have been involved. Very light hints of course. Who knows what actually was going on. Is Phasma actually dead? Didn't show her getting killed, just mentioned a trash compactor. Given that the heroes escaped from one in the originals it's not impossible that she's still alive. Who is Snoke? Seriously, who is he? Why is he projected so large? Is he that large or is that just done for effect? Obviously he appears to be quite old, how was he able to exist while Sidious was alive? How did he know of Vader and that Vader was Anakin and was able to use that to flip Kylo? These are all questions I have still with him.

4. Really sad they killed Han off. I knew it was extremely likely but I'm just really sad it happened. I was hoping he could have been a mentor. Will really be interesting to see though if Leia is Jedi trained. Obviously she's not a Knight or master. But wonder if she's more powerful than before. She sensed Han's death which wasn't anything she was able to really do in the past. All of Alderaan including her family died and she didn't writhe in pain.

5. I like the pacing of the film. To me that's the biggest return to the original trilogy. In the Prequels it was 20 minutes of blinding CGI battles or races, then 10 minutes of talking. THere was so much bull**** talking that didn't move the plot along. TO me they moved the plot along. I feel like for a comparison, when Finn is talking about Poe and asking him how he lived, instead of just saying he was thrown clear and everything (and one) was gone when he came to .It owuld have expounded on the various steps of him escaping, and they would have been walking and talking while doing it. Some stuff I think was still a little muddy. I think some of the battles were a bit too much, but I think overall it still was more of a return to the styling of the originals than what they did in the prequels. FOcusing on the various members of the team in the cockpits rather than just one or 2 and showing lots of flying from the outside of the shot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Independence Day 2 > Star Wars

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Independence Day 2 > Star Wars
    NOOOOOOO!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Who think this beats Jurrasic World for largest opening weekend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who think this beats Jurrasic World for largest opening weekend?
    Yes. 50 Million in presales, I think every theater will be packed for every show.

Only concern is global. I know it will beat Avengers and Jurassic World domestic. It will be closer globally though.

I think the debate is does Star Wars beat Avatar?

I plan on seeing it at least twice, if not 3 or 4 times depending on how good it is.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    NOOOOOOO!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    Search your feelings

Oh wait, yup it's impossible.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    NOOOOOOO!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    I mean. Of course it won't be, but the trailer to Independence 2 is pretty solid and the first is a 90's classic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I mean. Of course it won't be, but the trailer to Independence 2 is pretty solid and the first is a 90's classic.
    I didn't see Will Smith in the trailer, if Will Smith isn't in it, I won't go see it.