Page 40 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    The moves are **** but love me some Palpatine. Ready for this franchise to die.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Well aparently the past doesn't die, at least in JJ's world. All I ask are two things. Give me some Anakin and make Rey a Skywalker as she should be.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Well aparently the past doesn't die, at least in JJ's world. All I ask are two things. Give me some Anakin and make Rey a Skywalker as she should be.
    Why "should" she be a Skywalker? No one else in the Star Wars universe over than Luke, Anakin and Ben's lineage matters. No one knows Obi Wan's lineage, Yoda's lineage, Palpatine's lineage (except that he's from a wealthy Naboo family), so on so forth. Why does it matter that Rey is a Skywalker? Why can't Rey be a perfect representation of the force becoming active again and rising to meet the over powerful dark side?

What we know is that the force Awakening was an event. It was touched on in the film with the scene, where Kylo is talking to Snoke before the attack on Takodana. But the force wasn't active. More specifically the Cosmic Force. Rey rose to equal Kylo because the balance in the force was thrown off.

I'll throw a counter point at you. What if Rey's job is to bring balance to the force. And doing so requires an end to the Skywalker bloodline. Which we know was created by Plagueis/Palpatine. A bastardization of the force. And while Luke was a hero who defeated the Sith, the seed of the sith still carried on through their blood. Rey is experiencing a swell in power which is the Cosmic force coming through her, amplifying her powers so she's able to take down the Skywalker bloodline and truly bring balance to the force.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I read somewhere where Samuel L Jackson is pretty positive Mace Windu survived Order 66. He needs a story IMO.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I read somewhere where Samuel L Jackson is pretty positive Mace Windu survived Order 66. He needs a story IMO.
    I mean anything is possible in the world of Star Wars, but a fall from 500 meters after taking the full brunt of Palpatine's force lightning. Also worth noting that he fell into Coruscant.

Anyway yes i think it could be really fun, mainly as a short comic series.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I mean anything is possible in the world of Star Wars, but a fall from 500 meters after taking the full brunt of Palpatine's force lightning. Also worth noting that he fell into Coruscant.

Anyway yes i think it could be really fun, mainly as a short comic series.

Well Palpatine is apparently surviving his own fall down a shaft and an exploded death star

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    This story is about family. Three generations of one bloodline. The father, his children, his grandchildren. Leave the metaphysical force crap for when all we have all original Disney characters. Ep. 8 was terrible so much so I act as if it doesn't exist. My opinion simply is Star Wars may not be what Disney expects w/o the Skywalkers. It is an absolute shame George let the prequel haters scare him off from finishing his story.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    you want Mace you say... So be it, Jedi...

Courtesy of Star Wars Theory

Enjoy.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Well Palpatine is apparently surviving his own fall down a shaft and an exploded death star
    It is not him, most likely a clone with his essence or soul.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Disney brought Lucas back on board for this to help JJ.

They've already used two of his ideas that were scrapped that he pitched when Disney bought Lucasfilm. The submerged Death Star and Palpatine being alive were both his ideas (in addition to Skywalker cousins being the emphasis of the trilogy) that Disney turned down.

I'm glad Disney is letting the man who created this wonderful universe back in to help close it, instead of giving into the Lucas haters like zeets turn it into something it's not.

People like zeets have fought long and hard to defend The Last Jedi. It was underwhelming and really doesn't have the replay value the other movies do.

I don't feel like engaging into another arguefest with zeets about this. We know he hates the prequels and thinks Lucas has nothing to do with the success of the franchise. If up to fans like him we'd get nothing but TLJ movies.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Or you know a droid or recording. Palapatine had a lot of machinations moving around. Basically soon after taking over the Empire he pretty much stopped dealing with the day to day stuff and worked only on big picture stuff, some of it very odd. I'm about half way through Thrawn Alliances which takes place really close to Battle of Yavin (takes place basically right after Season 3 of Rebels after the Bentu wrecks Thrawn's forces. Palpatine sends Vader and Thrawn out to the Unknown Regions to investigate a disturbance in the force. THis is the type of thing Palpatine was doing probing with the force all around the Galaxy, trying to discover everything he can. So he had all kinds of plots and ploys that existed in the world His downfall was his own hubris. But perhaps he even saw that and had other plans out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    This story is about family. Three generations of one bloodline. The father, his children, his grandchildren. Leave the metaphysical force crap for when all we have all original Disney characters. Ep. 8 was terrible so much so I act as if it doesn't exist. My opinion simply is Star Wars may not be what Disney expects w/o the Skywalkers. It is an absolute shame George let the prequel haters scare him off from finishing his story.
    The "metaphysical force crap" was what a healthy amount of the OT was about.

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

The force was always mystical. The idea as it was more or less presented in the OT was the force was something that existed that a master could teach you. Kind of like for lack of a better term a secret fighting style.

Lucasfilm (and Disney) found some amazing success with Star Wars without the Skywalkers. Rebels was a resounding success with some intervention from main trilogy characters and some prequel characters. Creating characters that fans love like Caleb, Ezra, Zeb, Hera, and Sabine. As well as villains like Thrawn, Governor Price, etc.

What Star Wars is, was and should always be is an Opera. What makes an Opera what it is the grand scale and the tale of a hero vs. antagonist. In the OT it was Luke vs. Vader. In the new trilogy it's Rey vs. Kylo, in the prequels it's Anakin vs. the Jedi. Now that battle resolves itself in a number of ways. Luke turned his father from the darkside resulting in him sacrificing himself and giving himself to the light. Anakin wanted to be part of the Jedi order, but not for the right reasons and he was admitted anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    If up to fans like him we'd get nothing but TLJ movies.
    You mean a bunch of well directed movies? Heck yeah.

Here's the reality, Lucas did a bunch of things wrong in the prequels. I know you like them, we've discussed it a bunch. I won't go into it. But he created a dump of issues in the prequels. From continuity issues (Obi Wan aging 50 years in 20 years, Obi Wan "hiding" with his name and his Jedi Order outfit on the planet Darth Vader was born with the savior to the galaxy, Leia remembering her mother, Obi Wan's interactions with Vader and R2/3PO have totally different meanings given their 5+ year bonds, somehow in 20 years the Jedi went from the forgotten order to forgotten by everyone, Qui Gon taught Yoda and Obi Wan how to be force ghosts, how did ANakin become a force ghost at the end of episode 3, much less how did he come that far to the light after personally killing defenseless younglings) to the weird use of CGI to making plot points that didn't matter.

Listen lucas is a great idea man. And I think honestly his best work was the Clone Wars TV show. It allowed him to invest time into political intrigue because there we dozens of hours of content. That failed miserably in the prequels. They were less Opera more Spaghetti Western smash cut with 1980s action film.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Last Jedi was okay with the fights in the beginning, but I was falling asleep by the middle and woke up at the end, which was kind of boring.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    The "metaphysical force crap" was what a healthy amount of the OT was about.

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

The force was always mystical. The idea as it was more or less presented in the OT was the force was something that existed that a master could teach you. Kind of like for lack of a better term a secret fighting style.

Lucasfilm (and Disney) found some amazing success with Star Wars without the Skywalkers. Rebels was a resounding success with some intervention from main trilogy characters and some prequel characters. Creating characters that fans love like Caleb, Ezra, Zeb, Hera, and Sabine. As well as villains like Thrawn, Governor Price, etc.

What Star Wars is, was and should always be is an Opera. What makes an Opera what it is the grand scale and the tale of a hero vs. antagonist. In the OT it was Luke vs. Vader. In the new trilogy it's Rey vs. Kylo, in the prequels it's Anakin vs. the Jedi. Now that battle resolves itself in a number of ways. Luke turned his father from the darkside resulting in him sacrificing himself and giving himself to the light. Anakin wanted to be part of the Jedi order, but not for the right reasons and he was admitted anyway.
    I don't know how you can consider "Rebels" to be w/o the Skywalkers unless you count Vader/Anakin as two different people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't know how you can consider "Rebels" to be w/o the Skywalkers unless you count Vader/Anakin as two different people.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    “Star Wars” actor Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca in the original trilogy, died on Tuesday, his family announced on his Twitter. He was 74.

He died at his North Texas home surrounded by his family, read the Twitter statement.

Though he spoke entirely in growls, snarls, and the occasional roar, Chewbacca’s unwavering loyalty to Han Solo made him one of the most beloved characters in the franchise. Much more than just the hairy co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon, Chewie’s dependability and trustworthiness helped the iconic Wookiee function as the series’ ultimate “wing man.”

He was discovered by producer Charles H. Schneer while working as a hospital attendant in London, and cast in Ray Harryhausen’s “Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.” The next year, he was cast as Chewbacca, the 200-year-old Wookiee.

Mayhew went on to appear in “The Empire Strikes Back,” “Return of the Jedi,” “Revenge of the Sith,” “The Force Awakens” and “The Star Wars Holiday Special.” He was active on the “Star Wars” convention circuit and wrote two books, “Growing Up Giant” and “My Favorite Giant.”

His height was not due to gigantism, but he measured 7 feet 3 inches. George Lucas originally had his eye on bodybuilder David Prowse to play Chewbacca, but Prowse decided to play Darth Vader instead and Lucas went with the even-taller Mayhew.

On TV, he made guest appearances on “Donny & Marie,” “The Muppet Show” and “Glee.” He seldom played roles outside of Chewbacca, except for “Dark Towers,” on which he played the Tall Knight and horror movie “The Terror,” in which he played the Mechanic.

Mayhew was asked by Australia’s BMag why Chewbacca didn’t get a medal at the end of the first “Star Wars” along with Solo and Skywalker. “I think it was one of two reasons,” he said. “One, they didn’t have enough money to buy me a medal. Or two, Carrie couldn’t reach my neck, and it was probably too expensive to build a little step so that I could step down or she could step up and give me the medal.”

He established the Peter Mayhew Foundation to provide funds for those in need, and suported the 501st Legion, Wounded Warriors, Make-a-Wish and other non-profits. Donations may be made to the Peter Mayhew Foundation.

There will be a memorial service for friends and family on June 29, with a memorial for fans in Los Angeles in early December at EmpireCon. He is survived by his wife, Angie, and three children.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/p...rs-1203203816/

Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 05-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Hey fam, we're under 5 months from the end of the Skywalker saga.

Rewatched Last Jedi, and yeah, I'm so stoked. Hopefully JJ doesn't ruin the ending by just giving fanservice. Rian Johnson did a great job moving the story forward. Especially considering what he was handed with first. I really hope that JJ doesn't fail us in the finale. Don't ask any new questions, give us satisfying conclusions. I want to see Ben's arc come to a satisfying end. I don't care if it's redemption or not. Just have it make sense. Personally I'm fine with him not being redeemable. It makes the most sense given his arc in The Last Jedi, but I can totally see him being redeemed via the rise of Hux or through another means.

What makes me nervous is that JJ has a tendency to make movies that ask questions and I don't need that. Especially as this is supposed to be the close to this saga. Unless Star Wars plans change drastically, this is supposed to be the end of this arc. So I want a satisfying end. While Jedi as a movie has it's flaws, it was a satisfying ending to the OT. The loose ends were all tied up (Luke and Leia's parentage, Emperor Palpatine, Vader, and the Empire) Did we need to know that the empire would last for some time afterwards, did we need to know that Palpatine had planted machinations to destroy the empire. DId we need a teaser of the next trilogy to come? Nope we didn't need any of that. We needed closure. I'm excited to see what happens and hope JJ doesn't let me down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Hey fam, we're under 5 months from the end of the Skywalker saga.

Rewatched Last Jedi, and yeah, I'm so stoked. Hopefully JJ doesn't ruin the ending by just giving fanservice. Rian Johnson did a great job moving the story forward. Especially considering what he was handed with first. I really hope that JJ doesn't fail us in the finale. Don't ask any new questions, give us satisfying conclusions. I want to see Ben's arc come to a satisfying end. I don't care if it's redemption or not. Just have it make sense. Personally I'm fine with him not being redeemable. It makes the most sense given his arc in The Last Jedi, but I can totally see him being redeemed via the rise of Hux or through another means.

What makes me nervous is that JJ has a tendency to make movies that ask questions and I don't need that. Especially as this is supposed to be the close to this saga. Unless Star Wars plans change drastically, this is supposed to be the end of this arc. So I want a satisfying end. While Jedi as a movie has it's flaws, it was a satisfying ending to the OT. The loose ends were all tied up (Luke and Leia's parentage, Emperor Palpatine, Vader, and the Empire) Did we need to know that the empire would last for some time afterwards, did we need to know that Palpatine had planted machinations to destroy the empire. DId we need a teaser of the next trilogy to come? Nope we didn't need any of that. We needed closure. I'm excited to see what happens and hope JJ doesn't let me down.
    How did Rian move the story along? There was zero character development throughout the movie. None of the mythology was advanced. In fact, the death of Snoke just made things more confusing.

Last Jedi should have been the movie where Rey develops, learns about her past, and gains agency. Instead he just continued her as a character that reacts to things happening to her instead of a character that takes the initiative.

What do we know at this point that we didn't know at the end of Force Awakens? Outside the pointless death of Luke, you could reduce Last Jedi to a crawler at the start of a Star Wars film and lose nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    How did Rian move the story along? There was zero character development throughout the movie. None of the mythology was advanced. In fact, the death of Snoke just made things more confusing.

Last Jedi should have been the movie where Rey develops, learns about her past, and gains agency. Instead he just continued her as a character that reacts to things happening to her instead of a character that takes the initiative.

What do we know at this point that we didn't know at the end of Force Awakens? Outside the pointless death of Luke, you could reduce Last Jedi to a crawler at the start of a Star Wars film and lose nothing.
    What a **** take this is.

Story moved forward, Kylo Ren is now the leader of the first order, Rey is the de facto leader of the Resistance with Poe. Rey is no longer a force sensitive rolling with the tides of the force but a very focused trainee. My guess, her remaining training comes from some force ghost wisdom mixed with reading the ancient texts. Finn went from having little to no skin in the game to being a dedicated believer in the resistance. Poe went from trigger happy pilot to leader who can make the right decisions now. Unfortunately I don't think JJ will direct Poe with the needed weight of someone who indirectly caused the deaths of so many of his friends because I think JJ will treat him as a bit of a warhungry pilot.

Why do we need to unearth anything about Rey's past? What does it matter? She's not a Skywalker, the only persons in film we get information on their past about are Skywalkers. Anakin, virgin birth, Luke, Father was a Jedi, then later Darth Vader, then later Leia remembering her mother briefly. Kylo's training. We don't get in film what really Han and Chewie were doing between Episode VI and VII. We just know right now they're not part of the new republic. This idea that we need to know everything about every character is stupid. On the same note you probably complained about the prequels because there was too much walking and talking to set up scenes and political moves.

How does the death of Snoke make anything more confusing? It was a very clear path for Kylo to do what he set out to do in the Force Awakens, Finish what Vader started, the ultimate goal of Darth Vader was to overthrow the Emperor and Rule the Galaxy. Just like Vader he did it in a way his master didn't see coming, except for the information around it is very different.

As far as reacts vs. initiative. Let's compare her to Luke vy Episode V. Luke by Episode V is still reactionary entirely. He is keeping along with the Rebellion, On Hoth a vision he has as he's about to go unconscious tells him to go to Dagobah, on Dagobah he leaves his training to save his friends against his master's command. The first bit of initiative he shows in film is the beginning of Episode VI plot which we don't see on Screen.

As far as the last point, I could argue that about any single star wars film if you boil down a lot of **** ESB, the Empire chases han and Leia until they capture han, Luke trains on a foreign planet with an old Jedi Master, Luke battles vader and Vader tells Luke he's his father. That's the story of ESB. Condensed to 3 points, because there's 3 very basic story arc. But it's not what makes it a great film. We see character development, just like we did in ESB. ESB introduced the love of love affair of Han and Leia. It introduced Luke to more powerful aspects of the force, it told a tale that was important to set up the last act. TLJ we see massive losses for the resistance. They're reduced to the core people with almost no resources aside from old connections of Leia. We see the First Order lose it's leader and gain a new one officially, we see the likely turning point for the resistance, in that they have a lot of people who believe in the cause even if they can't do anything about it. We see a lot of information out there. Aside from the character arc growth. Rey believing she's so important because she's a child of destiny like Luke or Anakin only to be told she isn't. But not letting that detract her from her hero journey. Poe goes from jump in an X-Wing to blow stuff up, costing half the fleet's fighters in an attack on a dreadnought, to realizing that some battles are lost and you should retreat before you lose everything. Finn goes from no skin in the game to sacrificing himself for the resistance. Kylo did what he always intended to do, finish the job Vader started, become "Sith' lord and rule the Galaxy.

Also how was Luke's death pointless? He did exactly what he intended on doing. Keeping Kylo and the FIrst Order tied up long enough for the Resistance to escape. And just like Obi Wan as a force ghost he'll be able to do more for Rey than he could as a hobbling old man. As far as why he died, it was clear if you look at the information on screen. He used almost all his power and energy to do the most impressive force ability we've ever seen on screen. He was presented with an opportunity to join the force and he did.