Page 46 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    I'm not going to relitigate TLJ. Suffice to say it was controversial.

The Mandalorian keeps getting better and better. When you work with completely new characters outside of the confines of the Skywalker Saga, you can really do some interesting things. Rogue One was very similar in that you could have more complicated heroes with a darker, grittier story.

I'm really interested to see what forces are fighting over the Yoda Baby. You clearly have someone or some organization that was trying to protect the Yoda Baby from being snatched, and now you find out that the Client was procuring the Yoda Baby on behalf of someone else as well.

My theory since the middle of episode 2 is that the Client wanted the Yoda Baby to try to extract biological material from it in an attempt to give force powers to others. They reveal Yoda species are intuitive force users. I suspect they're looking for a way to transplant the biological basis of Force powers (I refuse to use the word midichlorians) into someone else and using Yoda species so the Force could be used intuitively and not require training.

As to who was trying to hide the Yoda Baby away, that's a different question. It could be a Jedi that survived Order 66. Ahsoka Tano has never been shown to have died. Also, Mace Windu has an unconfirmed death. It could be Leia is trying to keep the Yoda Baby safe and hidden away until it could be trained by Luke. Keeping it outside the politics of the New Republic.

There are clearly greater forces at play here than have been revealed thus far.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well there's a few running theories on the client. Perhaps they were working on getting midichlorians.

Ahsoka lived through the end of Return of the Jedi FYI. As far as any further who knows. Leia is very unlikely. Ezra is a possibility though also unlikely. MOre likely I think is we're seeing early incarnations of the First Order and Church of the Force.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Saw this on a friend's facebook, made me laugh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well there's a few running theories on the client. Perhaps they were working on getting midichlorians.

Ahsoka lived through the end of Return of the Jedi FYI. As far as any further who knows. Leia is very unlikely. Ezra is a possibility though also unlikely. MOre likely I think is we're seeing early incarnations of the First Order and Church of the Force.
    I read a theory that I not think has real legs. There's a patch on the shoulder of Dr. Pershing. It looks like "il" with a line under it. In Attack of the Clones, there's a scene where young clones are all wearing the same uniform and the have a patch with "il" on it but no line under.

The theory is that Pershing's patch is an updated version of the patch seen on Kamino. This has led to the belief that cloning might be involved. Either Baby Yoda is an actual clone of Yoda or (I think more likely) that someone wants to clone force users.

There's also a chance the Emperor is involved in all of this. Rise of Skywalker trailers have hinted that he could still be alive. Pair that with the fact that the last two episodes of The Mandalorian will book end the release of Rise of Skywalker and they could be gearing up for a synergistic ending.

As for who was protecting Baby Yoda, there's the possibility Baby Yoda was being protected on the orders of Luke. Luke would be working to establish his Jedi academy at this point. He'd probably be seeking out force sensitive children. If he knew that people would be out hunting Baby Yoda, he might try to hide it away.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Saw this on a friend's facebook, made me laugh

hyperbole at it's finest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Hard to say what Luke would have been doing. They've intentionally left it coy in canon. I think we're likely going to get an animated Luke show personally to fill in the gaps.

Emperor for sure could be involved. Though I do think he's dead. I think instead we're gonna see the finale of Operation Cinder with a proxy of Palpatine dealing with his finale of his empire's vision.

But who knows. JJ makes me nervous though that he'l leave a story tie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Hard to say what Luke would have been doing. They've intentionally left it coy in canon. I think we're likely going to get an animated Luke show personally to fill in the gaps.

Emperor for sure could be involved. Though I do think he's dead. I think instead we're gonna see the finale of Operation Cinder with a proxy of Palpatine dealing with his finale of his empire's vision.

But who knows. JJ makes me nervous though that he'l leave a story tie
    While I think there's a fair chance they do tie The Mandalorian in with the Emperor, I hope they don't. Leave the Emperor in the Skywalker Saga. I would like to see them expand the universe a bit. Either bring in a new major player (crime syndicate, new faction, etc) or bring back a character that isn't central to the main Saga (Mace Windu, Ahsoka, etc).

I just don't want The Mandalorian to be closely tied to the Skywalker Saga. Let it explore other story lines running through that universe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I believe we'll likely see early factions that were folded into the first order. I could be wrong of course. But it's the logical step given a number of things we have information on. Mainly that this is taking place in the Outer Rim. Which could have some first order influence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    So, who do the boots belong to? My bet is Boba Fett. Why else be in Tatooine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm thinking it's Carl Weathers. He didn't die and obviously he's being set up as a main character in the series and was confirmed not dead. It could be Cara Dune who was on the sly about what she was really doing. I mean how did she know that bounty hunter was there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    I'm thinking it's Carl Weathers. He didn't die and obviously he's being set up as a main character in the series and was confirmed not dead. It could be Cara Dune who was on the sly about what she was really doing. I mean how did she know that bounty hunter was there?
    It could be Carl Weathers but there are a couple reasons I don't think it is. First, they're on Tatooine. While it's possible they just threw Tatooine in there because it's recognizable to the fans, that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the show. I don't see them using a place as central to Star Wars mythology as Tatooine without there being a plot reason for it. Carl Weathers has no connection to Tatooine. Boba Fett absolutely does.

More important is the fact that they didn't show who the boots belonged to. That indicates they're teasing a reveal. We already know Carl Weathers survived the fight and is an adversary of Mando. As far as film making goes, you don't want to tease in that situation. If it turns out to be Carl Weathers, you've teased people with a reveal that someone is following Mando and then you reveal it to be someone we already know is alive and going against Mando. It makes the reveal very disappointing. If you're bringing Carl Weathers back, you show his face.

Cara Dune is a possibility. We've not seen the last of her this season. But again, the film making aspect of it wouldn't make much sense. It was just the previous episode that we saw her and she let Mando and Baby Yoda walk away. While her motives are unknown, it would be very bizarre for her to track them down, let them wander off, and then go track them down again.

There are a couple reasons I feel it might be Boba Fett. First, the aforementioned connection to Tatooine. Second, it sets up a fight between two Mandalorian armor wearing bounty hunters with only one being a true Mandalorian. That's great symmetry.

Next, Favreau took time to show to the entire audience (knowing not everyone has seen the Clone Wars show) that Mandalorian rocket packs are capable of sustained flight (see the Rocketeer moment). You saw Boba Fett take a few short hops in ROTJ, but escaping the Sarlaac pit and the Dune Sea could be easily explained with sustained flight from his rocket pack.

Finally, this is Disney's flagship show on the biggest project Disney has launched since they started the Disney channel. I think Favreau could probably bring back anyone he wanted from the franchise and who better to bring back in a show called The Mandalorian than the guy who introduced the concept of Mandalorians?

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    It could be Carl Weathers but there are a couple reasons I don't think it is. First, they're on Tatooine. While it's possible they just threw Tatooine in there because it's recognizable to the fans, that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the show. I don't see them using a place as central to Star Wars mythology as Tatooine without there being a plot reason for it. Carl Weathers has no connection to Tatooine. Boba Fett absolutely does.

More important is the fact that they didn't show who the boots belonged to. That indicates they're teasing a reveal. We already know Carl Weathers survived the fight and is an adversary of Mando. As far as film making goes, you don't want to tease in that situation. If it turns out to be Carl Weathers, you've teased people with a reveal that someone is following Mando and then you reveal it to be someone we already know is alive and going against Mando. It makes the reveal very disappointing. If you're bringing Carl Weathers back, you show his face.

Cara Dune is a possibility. We've not seen the last of her this season. But again, the film making aspect of it wouldn't make much sense. It was just the previous episode that we saw her and she let Mando and Baby Yoda walk away. While her motives are unknown, it would be very bizarre for her to track them down, let them wander off, and then go track them down again.

There are a couple reasons I feel it might be Boba Fett. First, the aforementioned connection to Tatooine. Second, it sets up a fight between two Mandalorian armor wearing bounty hunters with only one being a true Mandalorian. That's great symmetry.

Next, Favreau took time to show to the entire audience (knowing not everyone has seen the Clone Wars show) that Mandalorian rocket packs are capable of sustained flight (see the Rocketeer moment). You saw Boba Fett take a few short hops in ROTJ, but escaping the Sarlaac pit and the Dune Sea could be easily explained with sustained flight from his rocket pack.

Finally, this is Disney's flagship show on the biggest project Disney has launched since they started the Disney channel. I think Favreau could probably bring back anyone he wanted from the franchise and who better to bring back in a show called The Mandalorian than the guy who introduced the concept of Mandalorians?
    The 1 out of 10,000,000 long shot. Why couldn’t it be luke? The second Death Star was blown up, the emperor and Vader are both dead so maybe he went home on some sort of a ‘spiritual journey’ to find himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Some of the trailer material shows Mando and Cara Dune and the bounty droid fighting together. It makes it seem as if they form some sort of "team" to term it loosely. I really expected that to some degree, but was surprised when Cara Dune was left behind so quickly
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I mean I won't argue against your points because it's just speculation so we're both equally correct as of this moment. There's a number of ways they could go

But just a quick matter of fact. The reason BOba wound up in the Pit was han hitting his pack and activating it. Seemingly damaging it otherwise Fett should have been able to fly away. Now the counter point is that there's been a great amount of effort made into the strength of Beskar Steel. If Boba Fett had Beskar Steel in his armor, perhaps he wasn't able to survive the initial ingestion and eventually fought his way out with some of his mandalorian weapons. Mainly his rocket.

Anyway it could just wind up being a lead that isn't satisfying to most is where I'm going. I think given that there's only 2 more episodes left that was likely a tease to the last episode or 2.

Also we saw a mandalorian have extended flight already. Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones after killing Zam Wesell.

I want more background history, I'm looking forward to a novel about the Mandolorian's early years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Worked my way through the series this weekend. All 8 in order. Handful of thoughts.

Episode 1 doesn't need to exist. Aside from introducing characters people wish we had more of (Maul and QUi Gon) to kill them off, it doesn't do much aside from setting some lore background (Anakin meeting Padme and getting to the Jedi Academy, and midichlorians) Episode 2 is some of the worst script writing that exists. Memes have been made about the horrible writing (I don't like sand. It's mostly bad BUT the scenes on Geonosis are pretty great. Christopher Lee instantly elevates the film. Which leads to my second gripe. The films introduces 3 villains and pretty promptly kills them off, I think we get a combined like 25 if that of content on Grievous, Maul, and Dooku. They could have resolved this issue of just having one villain and it would have been more impactful. Because of the Clone Wars I like DOoku as a villain and I find him intriguing. But it seems like the villains are there to do something quick and are gone. Maul is there to kill QUi Gon. Dooku to cut off Anakin's arm and be his first big stepping stone to the Dark Side, and Grievous as a simple means to get Obi Wan away from Anakin. They're plot devices not characters. Which in a way I get the reason for, but I think a single villain could have done this. Imagine if you will. Maul Kills Qui Gon and knocks Obi Wan into the hold Obi wan does his leaping move and cuts off Mauls arm. Maul falls into the pit and after it's revealed that he caught onto a similar ledge Obi Wan did. Maul comes back running a Shadow Council type of role being a Criminal arm that moves the guilds into working with each other under Sidious. Palpatine is Kidnapped by the puppet that running the CIS, some force sensitive like Ventress that's manipulated by Maul and Palpatine. SO you still have a plot device, but a more fleshed out villain. There's some bad writing and I've critiqued on with RotS but it's a much better film. And it introduces a new style of story telling. Much darker than any other Star Wars film. Much Darker. Obviously the OT is great in many ways. But man ESB is just on another level compared to the other films. TFA is so close to a perfect reboot to the franchise. It's like ANH but in the hands of better film makers. My only gripe, is there's one scene that should have been cut, the scene during the Attack on Takodana, Cut the scene with Poe giving out squad commands. So when Finn freaks out about that person being a "Hell of a Pilot" you see Poe is alive and it shows off him being the best pilot in the resistance as Ren said. TLJ is still brilliant. I love it still. It's moving along to the top of the heap for me. Every time I watch it I catch something else small that Rian Johnson did. Last go around was the minute that Kylo Ren knew he was gonna kill Snoke and the initial bait to it. The speech about keeping a rabid cur.

My final thoughts
    Best Characters not really in order
    Obi Wan - Ewan McGregor carried the prequels with the next character
    Palpatine - McDermid was home to great acting and fleshed out a villainous character into a semi-believable rise to power.
    Kylo Ren - If he has a strong showing in Rise of Skywalker he will be the best Star Wars character. Adam Driver has been fantastic and the character has a level of nuance and depth that's missing in a lot of other Star Wars Characters
    Han Solo - Best character of the OT,
    Princess Leia - While I didn't love Leia in the OT, Johnson's take on her was great. the scene with her and Luke on Krait still brings tears to my eyes.
    Luke - My least favorite of the big 3. But the one I grew to like more by the film. ANH Luke is bad, Empire Luke is better, Jedi luke is amazing, and TLJ Luke is awesome in his own way.

Characters that are a mixed bag
    Yoda - ESB Yoda is amazing. Prequels Yoda is middling. Some bits are great but I mean there's a few huge things Yoda did that annoy me. Starting with ignoring the Anakin Red Flags and keeping him around Palpatine instead of pulling him out. But the biggest one for me is this idea that Yoda the wisest of all would go and get down with leading a Clone Army that was licensed by a long dead Jedi and didn't bat an eye.
    Anakin - Darth Vader is a great villain. Imposing scary awesome. Anakin Skywalker is a temperamental baby who doesn't like sand and addresses his emotions like an autistic 6 year old.

Worst Characters
    Padme - Wishy Washy. In the matter of a few minutes she goes from (anakin leave, you're breaking my heart, getting attempted murdered, to asking how he is, then a few days later dies of a broken heart, leaving her kids to grow up in a world ruled by a new empire) easy fix for Padme, she goes into hiding/exile. Gives up Luke and Leia to safe families under the care of Bail and Obi Wan, and goes to start a Rebel cell on another planet, dying a few years later but taking some time to visit Leia and Luke here and there.
    Jar Jar - Not much more can be said about this bad character that hasn't been said.
    Nute Gunray - ****ty villain, not scheming not intelligent, not even a convincing lackey. Just a racist waste of space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    The Mandalorian needs a over arching plot point. Some destination or goal.... right now we are just taking weekly adventures with zero sequence.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The Mandalorian needs a over arching plot point. Some destination or goal.... right now we are just taking weekly adventures with zero sequence.
    Thank god I'm not paying for Disney+.

There really isn't anything on there that I don't already have, that would entice me to pay for it. And it's only going to go up in price in a year or two. I would pay for the Kenobi stuff, but definitely nothing else. I've enjoyed Mandalorian but it's just been fun, not anything groundbreaking.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Thank god I'm not paying for Disney+.

There really isn't anything on there that I don't already have, that would entice me to pay for it. And it's only going to go up in price in a year or two. I would pay for the Kenobi stuff, but definitely nothing else. I've enjoyed Mandalorian but it's just been fun, not anything groundbreaking.
    its like 5.99 a month. Lets not act like anyone, especially God is saving you some serious coin here.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    its like 5.99 a month. Lets not act like anyone, especially God is saving you some serious coin here.
    It's going to go up in a year or two. And by that point we'll have other new streaming services entering the game.

Peacock (NBC Universal)
    HBO Max (Warner's library)

That's on top of AppleTV+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

Like I said I'm interested to see how Disney+ holds up with subscriber count. I have it free for a year because of Verizon as do a few of my friends. As of now nothing announced or on the service is keeping me. Not interested in the MCU spinoff series with Loki, WintersoldierFalcon, WandaVision.

Kenobi is only thing I'm interested in because of McGregor. A good thing Disney Plus has going for them is it's the only place you can watch 1-7 in 4k UHD since none of them have a physical UHD release.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    It's going to go up in a year or two. And by that point we'll have other new streaming services entering the game.

Peacock (NBC Universal)
    HBO Max (Warner's library)

That's on top of AppleTV+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

Like I said I'm interested to see how Disney+ holds up with subscriber count. I have it free for a year because of Verizon as do a few of my friends. As of now nothing announced or on the service is keeping me. Not interested in the MCU spinoff series with Loki, WintersoldierFalcon, WandaVision.

Kenobi is only thing I'm interested in because of McGregor. A good thing Disney Plus has going for them is it's the only place you can watch 1-7 in 4k UHD since none of them have a physical UHD release.
    Right. It will go up to like 9.99 a month... Nothing crazy. A lot like our dues to this site, they keep going up up up.

So for now, keep putting that 5.99 back into this site
    Ivermectin Man