Page 27 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Got my tickets for Thursday.

I'm gonna impose a no spoiler policy at least til January. So get your spoiler wraps ready folks
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    So for those on the fence it's a great film. Go into it being ready to see something a little different than Star Wars usually gives you.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So for those on the fence it's a great film. Go into it being ready to see something a little different than Star Wars usually gives you.

I don't mind different.

But the writing in this was pretty bad. It's already sub 70% RT (among users). Lots of wasted potential. Lots of headscratching things. People will say initially it's a great movie because htey're still in the honeymoon stage. But this movie was very underwhelming and could have been much better.

You despise George Lucas anyways, so it's no surprise you really enjoy this one just to spite his original vision of the series.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I knew Disney would do this. Say what you want of the prequels, but they were made of purpose. This crap is a money grab. Now we know why the change in directors for IX. Hamill has said he was looking forward to IX because he had discussions with Colin Trevorrow and they agreed on Luke's direction. Screw Disney!!! I will say more later. I wish George had never sold it. I didn't like VII after rewatching it at home. didn't care for Rogue after seeing it. Still, haven't made it through a second complete viewing at home. VIII is a huge dump on the Skywalker legacy. I hate Disney!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I don't mind different.

But the writing in this was pretty bad. It's already sub 70% RT (among users). Lots of wasted potential. Lots of headscratching things. People will say initially it's a great movie because htey're still in the honeymoon stage. But this movie was very underwhelming and could have been much better.

You despise George Lucas anyways, so it's no surprise you really enjoy this one just to spite his original vision of the series.
    Writing was brilliant. Saw it a second time last night and loved it more. There's so much more happening. I wont spoil anything it's a brilliant film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    VIII is a huge dump on the Skywalker legacy.
    Let the past die, kill it if you must.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I don't mind different.

Also the writing is incredibly brilliant. Not to get into the deets because spoilers. But when you watch it one more time you notice all the small things you didn't catch the first time.

Also the prequels are horrible. Lucas had a great idea, but his execution was terrible. There's a reason the best media in the prequel era are comics and the Clone Wars TV shows. The movie attempted to do something that couldn't be done, excessive exposition in an opera. Everything had to be overexplained to the point that it was jarring. In TV you can do that because you have time. In a movie you don't. SPending 5 minutes explaining something is 5 minutes you don't have doing something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I wish George had never sold it.
    Now to address this, I was thinking how I could do it without spoilers cause using that wrap for part of a post is a bit of a waste. But then it came to me. I don't have to talk about the new movies, because if Lucas never sold Star Wars to Disney, there would be no more Star Wars. Lucas went in a pretty direct line. Post Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, Lucas wanted out of big productions, and he stepped down as president of LucasFilm posting Kathleen Kennedy in his place. So the only difference between if Lucas sold or not, is we wouldn't be getting films. So you can just ignore Star Wars. If you want to live in the past you're allowed to. I would say as of this point you probably won't like any more Episode films because the direction Lucasfilm has chosen to go.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Lucas was ready to do 7-9.

He was also fatigued with the series because of how much people like zeets trash the prequels and his special editions.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (12-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Lucas was ready to do 7-9.

He was also fatigued with the series because of how much people like zeets trash the prequels and his special editions.
    Lucas wasn't ready to do it. Show me the article. Everything I read basically said he wrote treatments, not that he was ready to film. IIRC he wrote treatments back in the 80s.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    He would have done them if people had not reacted to prequels the way you did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    He would have done them if people had not reacted to prequels the way you did.
    The prequels sucked. If he made 3 more movies like the prequels we're already much better off. Again, best thing about that era of Lucas were comics and Clone Wars TV show

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    The prequels sucked. If he made 3 more movies like the prequels we're already much better off. Again, best thing about that era of Lucas were comics and Clone Wars TV show
    And again I disagree. Can't wait until spoiler ban is lifted so we can have this debate. The Disney crap is like a DC Elseworlds story or a Marvel What if?? It sucks simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    And again I disagree. Can't wait until spoiler ban is lifted so we can have this debate. The Disney crap is like a DC Elseworlds story or a Marvel What if?? It sucks simple as that.
    We can have this debate about the prequels now. Cause the Prequels sucked. And they didn't suck because of the general story they were trying to tell. They sucked for so many reasons.

I'll start with some simple ones.

Padme Episode 1 vs. 2

Obi Episode vs. 2

anakin episdoe 1 vs. 2

And therein lies the biggest issue. In episode 1, Obi Wan is supposed to be about 25, Padme about 14 and Anakin about 9. That doesn't come off on screen. And there is a reason why. Natalie Portman is a youthful looking actress which is why at nearly 18 she looks very young still, but the issue is Jake Lloyd looks very much 8 years old. And then you recast him with someone the same age as Natalie Portman it's incredibly Jarring. THat's why only Anakin looks to age 10 years, because he's the only one who does age 10 years. Natalie portman and Ewan McGregor only aged a year or 2. and they did well with McGregor, but it's easier to age a man with no facial hair and a rat tail than a woman. Essentially the aging of Padme came with her wearing scantily clad clothing.

So therein lies the issue with Episode 1, the fact that it exists. If they wanted it to work, they had to recast Anakin and Padme.

Also it creates another issue. Who's the main character of the prequels? Who's the driver? Who's the catalyst? It's hard to get an answer because you can argue everything away. Closest Answer is Obi Wan, but he's left out entirely of the Anakin/Padme affair which draws so much screen time. . Second could be Anakin, but he's not in the first Act of the Phantom Menace at all. Third could be R2 but he's not even used until they escape from Naboo, aka basically the same amount of time as Anakin. Final choice is Jar Jar, but after the backlash against him and the gungans forced Lucas to change that plot so he was left out of a lot of the next 2 films.

Also why the **** does R2 have rocket boosters? Like there's no reason for that to be included. And now you have to explain why he can't fly in the OT and instead awkwardly falls a few times when jets would have helped. That alone is one of the main reason the prequels sucked. Add in the fact that droids are a billion times more complex in the prequels for seemingly no reason to dumb them down. The shields, so on so forth. So much of what he chose to do because he could because of the tech evolution, don't make sense in the bigger picture. If the Separatists could afford to put blaster proof bubbles on a handful of droids, couldn't the Empire do it to some of their important ST leaders.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    You can discuss the movie. Feel free to put spoiler tags or not. My rule is if you haven’t watched a movie that you deem that important to you, avoid a thread discussing the movie.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Zeets it's pointless in arguing with you. It's been well documented on here how much you trash the prequels and think so lowly of Lucas when it favors your argument.

Lots of people are trying to like The Last Jedi just because it's new and fresh. But it does so many things to make TFA useless as well as the original trilogy that everyone loves.

Luke is not a coward. 4-6 he did everything he could to bring Vader to the light, going so much as willing to die if Anakin could be brought back. The never quit, never give up mentality was thrown away in Episode 8. He was afraid of the Darkness in Ben. He was 30 years older, 30 years wiser, 30 years stronger, 30 years more in tune with the Force. Yet, he just pretty much said welp, Snoke twisted Ben's mind. I'm his Uncle but there's nothing I can do about it so might as well quit and slaughter my own nephew in his sleep?

You mean he didn't consult Force Ghost Yoda or Force Ghost Kenobi or even Force Ghost Anakin to share his feelings and thoughts on Ben's mind being twisted? He took it upon himself to just end Ben's life right then and there?

I understand now why Hamill has publicly said in the last year he strongly disagreed with Rian's writing and vision for Luke, because Hamill knows Luke better than anyone and his character was essentially wasted.

And let's not even talk about the forced humor that is cringeworthy and ruins serious moments in the movie. That has Disney written all over it. Because it's the same forced humor that's put in Marvel movies and other studios are doing it now too because they feel it's the trendy thing to do. It's insulting to the audience and fans when you have a serious scene that is supposed to carry emotional weight and then you insert Comedian Luke Skywalker to make the crowd laugh just because.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (12-17-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Luke standing up to Emperor in Jedi: "You failed your highness. I am a Jedi, like my Father before me."

Luke in Last Jedi: "Welp, Ben's mind is being twisted to the Darkside by Snoke. I did everything I could to bring my Father back to the Light. But that took too much work. Even got electrocuted for 20 minutes. Yep. Not doing that again. Might as well just go to my Nephew's hut and slaughter him. That'll be much easier"
    Forever Fredi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    We can have this debate about the prequels now. Cause the Prequels sucked. And they didn't suck because of the general story they were trying to tell. They sucked for so many reasons.

I'll start with some simple ones.

Padme Episode 1 vs. 2

Obi Episode vs. 2

anakin episdoe 1 vs. 2

And therein lies the biggest issue. In episode 1, Obi Wan is supposed to be about 25, Padme about 14 and Anakin about 9. That doesn't come off on screen. And there is a reason why. Natalie Portman is a youthful looking actress which is why at nearly 18 she looks very young still, but the issue is Jake Lloyd looks very much 8 years old. And then you recast him with someone the same age as Natalie Portman it's incredibly Jarring. THat's why only Anakin looks to age 10 years, because he's the only one who does age 10 years. Natalie portman and Ewan McGregor only aged a year or 2. and they did well with McGregor, but it's easier to age a man with no facial hair and a rat tail than a woman. Essentially the aging of Padme came with her wearing scantily clad clothing.

So therein lies the issue with Episode 1, the fact that it exists. If they wanted it to work, they had to recast Anakin and Padme.

Also it creates another issue. Who's the main character of the prequels? Who's the driver? Who's the catalyst? It's hard to get an answer because you can argue everything away. Closest Answer is Obi Wan, but he's left out entirely of the Anakin/Padme affair which draws so much screen time. . Second could be Anakin, but he's not in the first Act of the Phantom Menace at all. Third could be R2 but he's not even used until they escape from Naboo, aka basically the same amount of time as Anakin. Final choice is Jar Jar, but after the backlash against him and the gungans forced Lucas to change that plot so he was left out of a lot of the next 2 films.

Also why the **** does R2 have rocket boosters? Like there's no reason for that to be included. And now you have to explain why he can't fly in the OT and instead awkwardly falls a few times when jets would have helped. That alone is one of the main reason the prequels sucked. Add in the fact that droids are a billion times more complex in the prequels for seemingly no reason to dumb them down. The shields, so on so forth. So much of what he chose to do because he could because of the tech evolution, don't make sense in the bigger picture. If the Separatists could afford to put blaster proof bubbles on a handful of droids, couldn't the Empire do it to some of their important ST leaders.
    For starters, that isn't even Obi-Wan from Attack of the Clones.

That's Obi-Wan from Revenge of the Sith.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Luke tossing the lightsaber was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Takes the seriousness of the end of The Force Awakens and poops all over it. But zeets like you said, the movie had "tons of great writing in it".
    Forever Fredi

23. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    For starters, that isn't even Obi-Wan from Attack of the Clones.

That's Obi-Wan from Revenge of the Sith.
    Negligible difference between the 2, hardly important.