Page 42 of 88 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    the Mandalorian trailer looks awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    the Mandalorian trailer looks awesome
    All the anthology stuff is pretty interesting. The writers/directors are not as constricted by the established themes and characters as they are for the core films. We saw that with Rogue One where they took a much darker approach and made a fantastic movie.

I felt they could have done more with Solo but I think the director issues resulted in a more conservative movie than it really should have been.

The Mandalorian being run by Favreau looks really interesting. Favreau has a fantastic ability to know the tone his projects should have and be able to achieve it. Iron Man has defined the entire MCU. I'm interested to see what he does with Star Wars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    I was talking with a friend and an interesting theory about Rey came up.

In the images from the D23 footage we see Rey dressed as the Emperor wielding a foldable red lightsaber. Everyone seems to think this is a force vision of some kind.

But why is she dressed as the Emperor? Luke's force vision featured his dark side self as Vader and we know how much this trilogy has mirrored the original.

What if Palpatine was Rey's great grandfather. Shmi said Anakin had no father.What if the Emperor was Anakin's father and he used his Dark Side powers to manipulate Shmi's memory?

In this theory, that would make Palpatine Luke's grandfather and, if Rey is Luke's daughter, Rey's great grandfather.

This would explain why Rey is seeing herself as a new Emperor wielding a red lightsaber (provided that is a force vision).

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    This trilogy can't end soon enough

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

In the images from the D23 footage we see Rey dressed as the Emperor wielding a foldable red lightsaber. Everyone seems to think this is a force vision of some kind.

But why is she dressed as the Emperor? Luke's force vision featured his dark side self as Vader and we know how much this trilogy has mirrored the original.

What if Palpatine was Rey's great grandfather. Shmi said Anakin had no father.What if the Emperor was Anakin's father and he used his Dark Side powers to manipulate Shmi's memory?

In this theory, that would make Palpatine Luke's grandfather and, if Rey is Luke's daughter, Rey's great grandfather.

This would explain why Rey is seeing herself as a new Emperor wielding a red lightsaber (provided that is a force vision).
    Wouldn’t Luke know if he had a daughter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Wouldn’t Luke know if he had a daughter?
    He would. But there are a couple of options there. One, Luke knew Rey was his daughter and was playing dumb to try to discourage Rey from going and further down the force user path. This would be an attempt to save Rey from going to the Dark Side. This doesn't make a ton of sense though as we never get any hint Luke recognized Rey, even when Rey isn't around.

My personal theory is that Luke had a daughter that he believes was killed when Kylo went to the Dark Side. However, Kylo couldn't bring himself to let her die. Kylo saves her and strands her on Jakku. This fits with what we see in the force vision (Kylo's lightsaber killing someone about to kill Rey), it fits Kylo going nuts when he hears about there being a girl on Jakku that's involved, and it fits why Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber calls out to Rey.

There's definitely a history between Rey and Kylo. Rey being Kylo's cousin makes the most sense.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Keep in mind, that what's show in sizzlers and teasers don't always show up in the film. They sometimes include cool shots even if they weren't used.

As far as the theory, I don't think that's likely. I think sadly it's much more likely that we see aside from the obvious just a force vision or it isn't used in the film. Rey as a Palpatine clone and who we see isn't Rey, but another Clone who didn't go to Jakku and was trained by perhaps Palpatine himself via Sentinels and holovids. Rey was perhaps shuttled off to Jakku by someone who sympathized with her. It would fit into the weirdness of the Legends and combine it with more semi-realistic current extended universe.

I think the biggest issue with the theory is that it ruins any number of things from the prequels. First being the entirety of the Darth Plagueis the wise speech, second being why would Palpatine not be all over Anakin from the whole time, from a story standpoint it wouldn't make sense to leave Shmi and Anakin to risk his life as a slave on Tatooine.

Anyway, I'm excited for the big Rey and Kylo battles. Hopefully they're huge and sprawling like the Luke vs. Vader in Empire.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    This trilogy can't end soon enough
    If you don't like Star Wars why are you in this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Keep in mind, that what's show in sizzlers and teasers don't always show up in the film. They sometimes include cool shots even if they weren't used.

As far as the theory, I don't think that's likely. I think sadly it's much more likely that we see aside from the obvious just a force vision or it isn't used in the film. Rey as a Palpatine clone and who we see isn't Rey, but another Clone who didn't go to Jakku and was trained by perhaps Palpatine himself via Sentinels and holovids. Rey was perhaps shuttled off to Jakku by someone who sympathized with her. It would fit into the weirdness of the Legends and combine it with more semi-realistic current extended universe.

I think the biggest issue with the theory is that it ruins any number of things from the prequels. First being the entirety of the Darth Plagueis the wise speech, second being why would Palpatine not be all over Anakin from the whole time, from a story standpoint it wouldn't make sense to leave Shmi and Anakin to risk his life as a slave on Tatooine.

Anyway, I'm excited for the big Rey and Kylo battles. Hopefully they're huge and sprawling like the Luke vs. Vader in Empire.
    Is it possible that Palpatine used the dark side to create life and so "fathered" Anakin? Palpatine said Plagueis could do this and that Plagueis taught his apprentice everything he knew. It's later established Palpatine was Plagueis' apprentice.

As for leaving Shmi and Anakin as slaves on Tatooine, that's exactly what a Sith would do. They're notoriously ruthless to apprentices. The hardships and pain Anakin endured would make him easier to turn. If he didn't survive he wouldn't be worthy of the Emperor's time.

It makes sense for the story to come full circle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Not liking Star Wars and not liking the last few movies (which anyone with an honest bone can say were less than great) aren’t the same thing Zeets
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Not liking Star Wars and not liking the last few movies (which anyone with an honest bone can say were less than great) aren’t the same thing Zeets
    Star Wars Movies in Order of Greatness:

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    The Phantom Menace
    Clone Wars
    The Christmas Special
    The Last Jedi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    I love star wars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    I love star wars
    It was a dumbass comment. He knows better. We all went round and round about how bad TLJ was, and he knows it.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I love star wars
    I don't recall you saying anything expressively positive in this thread. My guess you don't like the prequels, or the sequels, you like ESB because everyone does and ANH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Star Wars Movies in Order of Greatness:

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    The Phantom Menace
    Clone Wars
    The Christmas Special
    The Last Jedi
    You can tell this is a clown list because Attack of the Clones is over anything. Also anyone who like Return of the Jedi over Revenge of the Sith is wrong as well. I hate the prequels but Revenge of the Sith is the most memeable movie of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Sturg has proven he doesn't like Star Wars over and over again, mainly because he doesn't really know it. If you don't like the new trilogy you don't like ESB. As the films are very derivative of ESB and to a lesser point RotJ. Obviously with modern and more of scripted build as it's written by better film writers than Lucas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    You can tell this is a clown list because Attack of the Clones is over anything. Also anyone who like Return of the Jedi over Revenge of the Sith is wrong as well. I hate the prequels but Revenge of the Sith is the most memeable movie of all time.
    Attack of the Clones gave us perhaps the most awesome moment of any of the prequels. It gave us the moment where Yoda first draws a light saber and then proceeds to completely outclass Duku. The rest of the movie is trash. That scene was worth it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Attack of the Clones gave us perhaps the most awesome moment of any of the prequels. It gave us the moment where Yoda first draws a light saber and then proceeds to completely outclass Duku. The rest of the movie is trash. That scene was worth it though.
    I disagree, Yoda wielding a light saber to me was the lowest point of the trilogy. It's silly for me that Yoda, supposedly the best and most powerful light side force user, has to use a light saber. We never saw Sidious wield a lightsaber in his dismantling of Luke, and I would have loved to have seen Yoda do something similar. Like Dooku come charging at him and he uses the force to parry Dooku away. It would have been great to see Yoda as more than just a normal Jedi belittling his importance as the leader in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Plus everyone know the best part of the prequels was the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    I disagree, Yoda wielding a light saber to me was the lowest point of the trilogy. It's silly for me that Yoda, supposedly the best and most powerful light side force user, has to use a light saber. We never saw Sidious wield a lightsaber in his dismantling of Luke, and I would have loved to have seen Yoda do something similar. Like Dooku come charging at him and he uses the force to parry Dooku away. It would have been great to see Yoda as more than just a normal Jedi belittling his importance as the leader in my opinion.
    I disagree. By showing Yoda using the lightsaber you show that he's a complete Jedi. It shows he has a hidden ability he can unleash when needed. It also fits with how adversaries constantly underestimate Yoda's abilities.

As for never seeing Palpatine wield a lightsaber against Luke, that's because he didn't have to. Luke had not only never seen force lightning before, he had also just thrown away his lightsaber.

I will say the idea of Yoda being able to handle someone without using a lightsaber is fun. They did that on the Clone Wars show when Yoda faces off against Ventress. She has her lightsabers out and Yoda just turns them off and takes them from her with ease.

Still, a Yoda that couldn't bounce around and duel with a lightsaber would make him only half a Jedi. I wouldn't have liked to have seen that.