Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    While I would LOVE the last trilogy to be consigned to Legends status and removed from the canon, it wont happen if for no other reason than appearances. You're never going to see a studio admit they screwed up on that level.

Honestly, I think the best we can hope for is that Kennedy gets completely ousted from Lucasfilm and Favreau is handed the reins entirely. We have to remember that it was Kennedy who was in charge during this last trilogy. She allowed the disjointed back and forth between Rian Johnson and Abrams. She bears a lot of the responsibility for dividing the fanbase.

Speaking of dividing the fanbase, I'm tired of people accusing anyone who didn't like the recent trilogy (and especially those that loathed the last Jedi) as "toxic fans". If I go into a restaurant, get served a steaming dog turd, and I complain about it, am I a toxic customer? Of course not. Why then is anyone who Disney is trying to sell Star Wars to considered toxic when they think the Star Wars movies they get are complete crap.

It's interesting that people defending Johnson and Abrams were complaining about how toxic fans have ruined it and how there will never be anything Star Wars again that's not divisive. Then Favreau strolls in and drops Baby Yoda. Universal praise. If you hire people that actually understand the universe and are fans of it, you get a much better product than the crap that has largely been produced since Disney took over.
    You’re a smart guy. Kennedy answered to others in the company. She didn’t have final say. You can’t lay the blame on her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You’re a smart guy. Kennedy answered to others in the company. She didn’t have final say. You can’t lay the blame on her.
    Feige answers to others in Disney. However his steady hand has been evident in the MCU. Kennedy was supposed to be the Feige of Lucasfilm yet Star Wars has been a mess.

You have to put a ton of the blame on Kennedy. The director choices for 7-9 are squarely on her.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The primary purpose of Star Wars isn't to make an artistic statement, it's to sell itself to people. If someone is trying to sell me something, me proclaiming I don't like it is perfectly fine. The fact that the label of art is applied to it doesn't change that. Make an art house film and show it at festivals if you want it to be treated as art. If you make a film to be a product sold to people, don't be surprised when it's treated as a product.

I've actually always had issue with Cad Bane and Pre Vizsla holding their own in fights with lightsabers against force users. The force user would know what's about to happen and pretty much immediately kill the non-force user. That aside, Rey being proficient with a staff doesn't mean she'd be proficient with a lightsaber. The force would give her an edge, especially in fights against non-force users. However, fighting someone like Kylo would be more about skill with a lightsaber and Kylo had WAAAAAYYY more training and experience.

Mandalorian tells lots of individual stories in the individual episodes, it world builds, and it sets up story lines that will run over the course of the show. It did everything a first season should do. You're entertained in every episode while slowly building the mythology.

I could go on at length about the problems Last Jedi had not just as a Star Wars movie but as a form of storytelling. From the third of the movie dedicated to Finn and Rose's completely pointless trek to the fact that Johnson took jabs at his audience.

And the "character development" you talk about is totally unfulfilling and contrived. Characters consistently make baffling choices and change in ways that make no sense.

If the MCU was the automobile industry, Favreau would be Karl Benz and Feige is Henry Ford. Favreau invented the marvel movie, Feige mastered reproducing it.

Last Jedi doesn't feel like Star Wars. The prequels felt like Star Wars. They had horrible problems in writing, directing, and acting but they captured the world. Clone Wars feels like Star Wars and is actually exceptional. Last Jedi feels like someone trying to make a film school project using Star Wars characters.
    I never said you're not allowed to like it. But saying it is a turd, or it sucks is just objectively wrong. Something can only suck if it's objectively bad, and generally art isn't objectively bad. Like having a .250 wOBA is objectively bad. Avante Garde music may not be your jam, but it's not really bad. Again, I don't care if you don't like it. That doesn't matter. The best movies in the world have people who don't like it. My Dad hated Dunkirk, despite near universal acclaim. I don't think less of him for it.

Well the thing is that comes down to how much you believe that the force user sees things. If you feel like it's the ability to see the future, then you're right. If it's more of an intuition to landing point, that's a different thing. If we consider the Luke training, he didn't see the future when he was working on defending the bolts from the training bot. Again the reason she stood up to Kylo despite no lightsaber training is because of the martial training, and Kylo being severely hurt, Kylo just killing his dad and being emotionally upset, and Kylo trying to recruit her. He could have smote her if he tried, but that wasn't his goal. Similar to when Luke battled Vader. Luke had no formal on screen light saber training but stands up to Vader who's by most accounts the best duelist of all time.

But it didn't move the series. It basically took 8 episodes to finally get things moving. But it's fine. Because moving plot is silly. What is the plot of the Lord of the Rings? You can right it in a paragraph, but the beauty of the story is the details.

But was it a pointless trek? It served a key purpose of character development. It also served as a potential jumping off point. Rose goes to Canto Bight and inspires hope in the downtrodden stable hand kids. Taking an area of the world that's not involved and injecting the good guys into it. After JJ and Kasden destroyed the entire republic which was the Resistance's supply line, Rian was forced to create a way to show how hope can be created by simple gestures and that you can win the battle of good vs. evil with love not hate, which harkens back to RotJ when Luke defeats the Emperor not by being the most skilled battler, or jedi, but by showing his love for his father. He could have killed Vader then battled the Emperor, but he wouldn't have won.

But how is it unfulfilling and contrived. Rey realizes that the answers to her future belong to her, not tied to her past. Kylo falls hard to the dark side setting himself up as the big bad, or for a true vader last ditch turn, Poe learns what it takes to be a leader of the resistance, Finn learns what it's like to care about something. All the main characters continued along a pretty logical path. Poe took the whole movie to learn that being a hotshot pilot has it's place but there's also a time to pull off. Finn if you remember is like weeks from leaving the first order, where he was indoctrinated since he was a kid and never lived a life outside of the life of a soldier, it was important that he saw the world outside of his minimal scope, for better or worse.

I wouldn't call it like that. To me the MCU took it's art shape under the Russos and Markus and McFeely. They defined what the MCU is now. If you look at Iron Man and watch Winter Soldier and then watch something newer, which one is closer to the format. What Iron Man did was be a commercial success. There's a few key things with the MCU. Phase One is pretty disjointed, it was a lead in for Avengers. Avengers was a huge hit, this carries over to the Dark World in a way, but Winter Soldier shakes up the format a whole lot and Guardians shows how you can play in the MCU but with something weird and different. What most people consider success in the MCU is the Russos formula which is heavy through Phase 3.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Feige answers to others in Disney. However his steady hand has been evident in the MCU. Kennedy was supposed to be the Feige of Lucasfilm yet Star Wars has been a mess.

You have to put a ton of the blame on Kennedy. The director choices for 7-9 are squarely on her.
    Well, she's not the Feige, that's not really fair. Feige is the CCO of Marvel Entertainment as of 2019, he's not the head of Marvel Entertainment. He was the head of Marvel Studios. Lucasfilm isn't just the Star Wars movies, that's the issue. They don't have a Star Wars guy or gal. I don't know personally how much of that is Kennedy and how much of that is Disney. We don't know. There should be a head guy or gal who's in charge of Star Wars as a producer. I was hoping Hidalgo would be that guy, but he lacks the film knowledge. I think Filloni is close to that guy, but I like him writing more as opposed to consulting. Cause you need both. I think right now Hidalgo is the closest we have as far as someone who won't take talent away.

Kennedy knows the business side, she's arguably one of the most successful producers of all time. She was hand picked by Lucas to run the company. She knows movies in a way that a lot of people don't. I think she's the right person to maintain the blockbuster level of Star Wars. I think someone else should be running the canon nature.

I still feel the sequel trilogy was a rushed attempt at a money grab, that produced one of the best Star Wars films. Lucasfilm cost disney 4 billion, they've made that back now. Even with the scare of SOlo not really making money. Now I think we get to see some really good stuff come out. Now I think we'll see Star Wars go a bit more out there. A bit more risky because now they're not operating on lost income, they're operating as a new studio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I never said you're not allowed to like it. But saying it is a turd, or it sucks is just objectively wrong. Something can only suck if it's objectively bad, and generally art isn't objectively bad. Like having a .250 wOBA is objectively bad. Avante Garde music may not be your jam, but it's not really bad. Again, I don't care if you don't like it. That doesn't matter. The best movies in the world have people who don't like it. My Dad hated Dunkirk, despite near universal acclaim. I don't think less of him for it.

Well the thing is that comes down to how much you believe that the force user sees things. If you feel like it's the ability to see the future, then you're right. If it's more of an intuition to landing point, that's a different thing. If we consider the Luke training, he didn't see the future when he was working on defending the bolts from the training bot. Again the reason she stood up to Kylo despite no lightsaber training is because of the martial training, and Kylo being severely hurt, Kylo just killing his dad and being emotionally upset, and Kylo trying to recruit her. He could have smote her if he tried, but that wasn't his goal. Similar to when Luke battled Vader. Luke had no formal on screen light saber training but stands up to Vader who's by most accounts the best duelist of all time.

But it didn't move the series. It basically took 8 episodes to finally get things moving. But it's fine. Because moving plot is silly. What is the plot of the Lord of the Rings? You can right it in a paragraph, but the beauty of the story is the details.

But was it a pointless trek? It served a key purpose of character development. It also served as a potential jumping off point. Rose goes to Canto Bight and inspires hope in the downtrodden stable hand kids. Taking an area of the world that's not involved and injecting the good guys into it. After JJ and Kasden destroyed the entire republic which was the Resistance's supply line, Rian was forced to create a way to show how hope can be created by simple gestures and that you can win the battle of good vs. evil with love not hate, which harkens back to RotJ when Luke defeats the Emperor not by being the most skilled battler, or jedi, but by showing his love for his father. He could have killed Vader then battled the Emperor, but he wouldn't have won.

But how is it unfulfilling and contrived. Rey realizes that the answers to her future belong to her, not tied to her past. Kylo falls hard to the dark side setting himself up as the big bad, or for a true vader last ditch turn, Poe learns what it takes to be a leader of the resistance, Finn learns what it's like to care about something. All the main characters continued along a pretty logical path. Poe took the whole movie to learn that being a hotshot pilot has it's place but there's also a time to pull off. Finn if you remember is like weeks from leaving the first order, where he was indoctrinated since he was a kid and never lived a life outside of the life of a soldier, it was important that he saw the world outside of his minimal scope, for better or worse.

I wouldn't call it like that. To me the MCU took it's art shape under the Russos and Markus and McFeely. They defined what the MCU is now. If you look at Iron Man and watch Winter Soldier and then watch something newer, which one is closer to the format. What Iron Man did was be a commercial success. There's a few key things with the MCU. Phase One is pretty disjointed, it was a lead in for Avengers. Avengers was a huge hit, this carries over to the Dark World in a way, but Winter Soldier shakes up the format a whole lot and Guardians shows how you can play in the MCU but with something weird and different. What most people consider success in the MCU is the Russos formula which is heavy through Phase 3.
    By that logic, if you can't call a movie bad then you can't call it good either. It's all just a matter of taste at that point. I will say you can analyze the sequel trilogies and find plenty of objective problems. Flaws in the story telling or doing things that really shouldn't be done in a movie of this kind.

As for lightsaber dueling, either way when you have two powerful force users dueling they're each going to have the force guiding their actions and so that negates that advantage. Simply having martial skill with one weapon doesn't give you skill with all weapons. If you're trained to fight with a staff and then you're given a sword, you're not going to stand a chance against someone who is an expert with the sword. Rey was also terrified fighting Kylo so there wasn't an emotional advantage. It goes beyond that though. Rey has this incredible skill with a lightsaber in Last Jedi fighting Snoke's guards who are presumably at least force sensitive.

As for Luke's formal training, I believe the idea is that he received it off screen while training with Yoda. Yoda was the best duelist of all time. Luke doesn't fight anyone with his lightsaber until after he trains with Yoda.

The trip to Canto Bight was utterly pointless. Character development can be done in a storyline that actually has an impact on the plot. A third of the movie shouldn't be dedicated to a story that does nothing for the plot. The whole Benecio del Toro thing talking about war profiteers was just bizarre.

It's contrived because the developments aren't natural. You have characters making choices that don't follow who they are. Central to Luke's character was his willingness to rush in, risk his own life, and sacrifice himself for others. He rushed in to save Leia on the Death Star, he left against Yoda's advice to go save Han and Leia on Cloud City, he turns himself in on Endor to have a chance at saving his father. Eventually he realizes the only way to save himself and by extension everyone else is to reject the dark side and toss his lightsaber aside. Luke was a consistent character with consistent values and motivations. He develops but there aren't radical shifts in who he is (at least until Rian Johnson got there).

Rey oscillates back and forth between scared nobody and epic hero. She does this with so little subtlety that it's like there are two different characters. Poe is a hotshot pilot that has some disrespect for the rules but to go from that to leading a mutiny was a bizarre choice. Haldo keeping her plan such a secret was even more baffling (it was done because Rian Johnson likes subverting expectations and making his audience feel foolish). As for Finn, I'm sorry but he always felt like a generic character. He could have been the point of view of someone losing faith in the First Order but instead he's just a guy that's there.

If you watch any Marvel movie you will see the mixture of action, heart, and humor that was created in Iron Man. It's something DC has never been able to get right. Other aspects of the movies have changed. However, all of them keep that same mixture. Even Guardians which goes into completely different parts of the world still keeps that same mixture. It's the secret of the MCU's success. The plots aren't mindblowing. The acting is good but not phenomenal. It's the action, heart, and humor that make those movies so much fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Well, she's not the Feige, that's not really fair. Feige is the CCO of Marvel Entertainment as of 2019, he's not the head of Marvel Entertainment. He was the head of Marvel Studios. Lucasfilm isn't just the Star Wars movies, that's the issue. They don't have a Star Wars guy or gal. I don't know personally how much of that is Kennedy and how much of that is Disney. We don't know. There should be a head guy or gal who's in charge of Star Wars as a producer. I was hoping Hidalgo would be that guy, but he lacks the film knowledge. I think Filloni is close to that guy, but I like him writing more as opposed to consulting. Cause you need both. I think right now Hidalgo is the closest we have as far as someone who won't take talent away.

Kennedy knows the business side, she's arguably one of the most successful producers of all time. She was hand picked by Lucas to run the company. She knows movies in a way that a lot of people don't. I think she's the right person to maintain the blockbuster level of Star Wars. I think someone else should be running the canon nature.

I still feel the sequel trilogy was a rushed attempt at a money grab, that produced one of the best Star Wars films. Lucasfilm cost disney 4 billion, they've made that back now. Even with the scare of SOlo not really making money. Now I think we get to see some really good stuff come out. Now I think we'll see Star Wars go a bit more out there. A bit more risky because now they're not operating on lost income, they're operating as a new studio.
    Feige has been president of Marvel Studios since 2007. Kennedy was named the President of Lucasfilm when Disney bought it in 2012. The primary goal of both Kennedy and Feige is to have their respective companies make excellent movies/tv shows. Feige has been tremendously successful, Kennedy has not.

Kennedy may not be the head of Star Wars but she's definitely the one whose job it is to make sure Star Wars says on the rails and continues to be profitable. It's not a stretch at all to say the sequel trilogy was the most important part of her career. It's a huge part of the reason Disney bought Lucasfilm. Her decisions on director hires and her inability to keep the storyline cohesive led to a dividing of a rabidly loyal fanbase.

If Disney wants to keep Kennedy on the business side of things and to leave the creative side up to Filoni and/or Favreau, fine. I don't think Kennedy needs to be allowed to make anymore decisions that might actually affect the content of Star Wars.

The sequel trilogy is the worst trilogy in Star Wars with a movie so bad (Last Jedi) that it rivals Phantom Menace. At least Phantom Menace had Darth Maul and the Dual of the Fates. Last Jedi is unwatchable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    By that logic, if you can't call a movie bad then you can't call it good either. It's all just a matter of taste at that point. I will say you can analyze the sequel trilogies and find plenty of objective problems. Flaws in the story telling or doing things that really shouldn't be done in a movie of this kind.

As for lightsaber dueling, either way when you have two powerful force users dueling they're each going to have the force guiding their actions and so that negates that advantage. Simply having martial skill with one weapon doesn't give you skill with all weapons. If you're trained to fight with a staff and then you're given a sword, you're not going to stand a chance against someone who is an expert with the sword. Rey was also terrified fighting Kylo so there wasn't an emotional advantage. It goes beyond that though. Rey has this incredible skill with a lightsaber in Last Jedi fighting Snoke's guards who are presumably at least force sensitive.

As for Luke's formal training, I believe the idea is that he received it off screen while training with Yoda. Yoda was the best duelist of all time. Luke doesn't fight anyone with his lightsaber until after he trains with Yoda.

The trip to Canto Bight was utterly pointless. Character development can be done in a storyline that actually has an impact on the plot. A third of the movie shouldn't be dedicated to a story that does nothing for the plot. The whole Benecio del Toro thing talking about war profiteers was just bizarre.

It's contrived because the developments aren't natural. You have characters making choices that don't follow who they are. Central to Luke's character was his willingness to rush in, risk his own life, and sacrifice himself for others. He rushed in to save Leia on the Death Star, he left against Yoda's advice to go save Han and Leia on Cloud City, he turns himself in on Endor to have a chance at saving his father. Eventually he realizes the only way to save himself and by extension everyone else is to reject the dark side and toss his lightsaber aside. Luke was a consistent character with consistent values and motivations. He develops but there aren't radical shifts in who he is (at least until Rian Johnson got there).

Rey oscillates back and forth between scared nobody and epic hero. She does this with so little subtlety that it's like there are two different characters. Poe is a hotshot pilot that has some disrespect for the rules but to go from that to leading a mutiny was a bizarre choice. Haldo keeping her plan such a secret was even more baffling (it was done because Rian Johnson likes subverting expectations and making his audience feel foolish). As for Finn, I'm sorry but he always felt like a generic character. He could have been the point of view of someone losing faith in the First Order but instead he's just a guy that's there.

If you watch any Marvel movie you will see the mixture of action, heart, and humor that was created in Iron Man. It's something DC has never been able to get right. Other aspects of the movies have changed. However, all of them keep that same mixture. Even Guardians which goes into completely different parts of the world still keeps that same mixture. It's the secret of the MCU's success. The plots aren't mindblowing. The acting is good but not phenomenal. It's the action, heart, and humor that make those movies so much fun.
    You're not wrong. But there is good film making as far as technical aspects. Just like a painter can have technically expertise at brush strokes a musician has technical expertise in their instrument, etc. There is quantifiable aspects to that. And by the quantifiable aspects TFA and TLJ hit all the notes. TFA serves as a good remake of ANH and ESB. Johnson is technically so far superior to any other star wars director, that you can't pull the technically it doesn't fit. Instead you're attempting to quantify feel. Which isn't doable.

But again, Kylo had so much going against him, I listed it. And Rey aside from having the force to a degree and aside from having martial training didn't smoke him. By comparison if Ren fought say Mace Windu in that state, he would have had his tits ripped. I don't know what that last sentence means at all. Is it a slight on her skill? Where we've seen her training with her sword?

There was 0 evidence of Luke's training. Also keep in mind the time dilation issue. The events in ESB are all over the place. Luke was on Dagobah the same amount of time Han and Leia were running from the Empire. To me just like Rey, it felt like he spent a few days at most training. Of course between films there's some difference.

I won't argue this point, because I could argue it 10 times over. But it wouldn't be satisfactory because you made up your mind.

If you have issues with that, blame Kasden and JJ. They're the ones who wrote Luke into exile, has nothing to do with the Last Jedi. Luke did sacrifice his life in the end to save everyone. So I don't see how that's against character.

Why was Holdo keeping her plan a secret baffling? Empire tracked you through Hyperspace, what woudl be the first thought you'd have? Someone on the ship is a spy. By holding the information as long as possible you have a shot to figure out who the spy may be if there is one. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Feige has been president of Marvel Studios since 2007. Kennedy was named the President of Lucasfilm when Disney bought it in 2012. The primary goal of both Kennedy and Feige is to have their respective companies make excellent movies/tv shows. Feige has been tremendously successful, Kennedy has not.

Kennedy may not be the head of Star Wars but she's definitely the one whose job it is to make sure Star Wars says on the rails and continues to be profitable. It's not a stretch at all to say the sequel trilogy was the most important part of her career. It's a huge part of the reason Disney bought Lucasfilm. Her decisions on director hires and her inability to keep the storyline cohesive led to a dividing of a rabidly loyal fanbase.

If Disney wants to keep Kennedy on the business side of things and to leave the creative side up to Filoni and/or Favreau, fine. I don't think Kennedy needs to be allowed to make anymore decisions that might actually affect the content of Star Wars.

The sequel trilogy is the worst trilogy in Star Wars with a movie so bad (Last Jedi) that it rivals Phantom Menace. At least Phantom Menace had Darth Maul and the Dual of the Fates. Last Jedi is unwatchable.
    Nope, Kennedy was brought in by Lucas to run the company. It's not comparable to Feige. I won't go into it.

If you think the Last Jedi si the worst Star Wars film, your opinion is wrong. And not worth debating.

Also I wouldn't call Star Wars fanbase rabidly loyal. They've shat on everything that's come out at one point or the other. I remember the initial reviews for the Clone Wars were so harsh. The Prequels being reviled, etc.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Kennedy was leaving after Indiana Jones 5. That was the plan all along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Another random gripe about Episode 9.

If Darth Sidious had the means to clone a force sensitive, why did he need Rey? What purpose did that serve in the plot?

Ignoring again, that it spits in the face of the stories that come before it (why would Snoke have Kylo execute Rey if she was part of Sidious's plan?)

****, i'm going off the rails again, need to stop talking about that **** film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Another random gripe about Episode 9.

If Darth Sidious had the means to clone a force sensitive, why did he need Rey? What purpose did that serve in the plot?

Ignoring again, that it spits in the face of the stories that come before it (why would Snoke have Kylo execute Rey if she was part of Sidious's plan?)

****, i'm going off the rails again, need to stop talking about that **** film.
    Because Rian Johnson blew the trilogy up. Abrams was building storylines and Johnson gutted them.

I honestly don't think there was any way to salvage episode 9 after episode 8. There was no way the trilogy was going to make coherent sense because you can't tie up two so disparate movies in one installment.

Episode 9 was an attempt by Abrams to do some fan service to try to calm things down. Unfortunately there was no way an episode 9 could have been made that would have satisfied even a majority of Star Wars fans.

There was no unifying hand with the trilogy, nothing keeping the mythology in check. That was a MASSIVE failure by Lucasfilm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I really am at a loss Zito as to how someone who is obviously as big a fan as you are of Star Wars can watch Last Jedi and enjoy it.

Luke was written as if Johnson never watched the original trilogy. Luke's defining characteristics were his desires to become a Jedi and his tendency to rush in to save others. Luke rejecting both for years and years is so against who he is that such a change that it's not realistic.

Star Wars has always been about good vs evil. It's literally the light side vs the dark. The Empire is clearly evil and the rebellion is fighting on the side of good. The other movies/shows can delve into gray areas (eg Rogue One) but the Skywalker saga is good vs evil. Johnson trying to paint the rebellion and the resistance as just as culpable as the empire or first order just doesn't fit. It was also completely unnecessary to the story.

I've said before Luke's death was terrible. He's killed off after the conflict resolves. The central character of the franchise has a completely meaningless death. It doesn't advance the story, he doesn't sacrifice himself for others, he just dies.

Rian Johnson is well known as someone who makes movies that are commentaries on movies. He did that with Last Jedi. He didn't make a Star Wars movie. It's why critics liked it. Critics see lots of movies. They get bored of movies like Star Wars. Last Jedi was a commentary and so critics lapped it up. But it wasn't a Star Wars movie and has so many problems when you look at it in that universe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-07-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I really am at a loss Zito as to how someone who is obviously as big a fan as you are of Star Wars can watch Last Jedi and enjoy it.

Luke was written as if Johnson never watched the original trilogy. Luke's defining characteristics were his desires to become a Jedi and his tendency to rush in to save others. Luke rejecting both for years and years is so against who he is that such a change that it's not realistic.

Star Wars has always been about good vs evil. It's literally the light side vs the dark. The Empire is clearly evil and the rebellion is fighting on the side of good. The other movies/shows can delve into gray areas (eg Rogue One) but the Skywalker saga is good vs evil. Johnson trying to paint the rebellion and the resistance as just as culpable as the empire or first order just doesn't fit. It was also completely unnecessary to the story.

I've said before Luke's death was terrible. He's killed off after the conflict resolves. The central character of the franchise has a completely meaningless death. It doesn't advance the story, he doesn't sacrifice himself for others, he just dies.

Rian Johnson is well known as someone who makes movies that are commentaries on movies. He did that with Last Jedi. He didn't make a Star Wars movie. It's why critics liked it. Critics see lots of movies. They get bored of movies like Star Wars. Last Jedi was a commentary and so critics lapped it up. But it wasn't a Star Wars movie and has so many problems when you look at it in that universe.
    It was awful. I can't get passed Zito liking that movie.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    At least we can all agree The Mandalorian is phenomenal. I can't wait for season 2! I can't wait to see what they do with Ahsoka.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    What did JJ build for a storyline? Like seriously what storyline did he build. If he wanted Rey's heritage to be important drop a big hint. Or answer it. If he wanted Snoke to be the big bad, then pass that note along.

You're right that the lack of a unifying hand hurt. But I could tell you a better episode 9 plotline right now.

First, the Duel of Fates script was far superior to what we got.

But here it goes, a simple outline that's better.

2 years or so past. First order reigns over the Galaxy. Supreme Leader Ren is bored of the everyday tasks and is looking out to find more power in the force. He finds a Sith Holocron that Darth Sidious made in the Sith Temple below the surface of Coruscant. He discusses a great dark side power he sensed in the unknown regions. Me mentions that he plans to leave to find it after he crushes the rebellion and includes it's location. Kylo leaves the first order for Hux to run while he heads out to the unknown region. Hux runs the First Order cruelly. Call back to how he killed his dad to seize power. That's the bad guy setups. Good guy setups. Slightly before the film under Leia's guidance, Rey and her are training a small group of force sensitives on Ahch To (discussed in the scroll and where the film opens up) Rey has a group of kids and teenagers she trains with Leia. Leia eventually leaves as Poe needs assistance. She leaves in her ship with a few loyalists. The first tragedy of the film happens as Leia attempts to Rendezvous with Poe. The resistance comes under heavy assault from a collection of destroyers under command of Hux. Hux destroys Leia's ship before she can group up with the rest of the resistance. Poe tragically leaves knowing that they'll lose this battle. Cut to Finn and Rose. They're on Coruscant, the capital of the First Order. Sowing seeds of insurrection in the lower levels. Hux returns to Coruscant and returns to the old imperial palace. Here we get a view inside of his room. Here you find all kinds of Clone Wars and jedi artifacts he's scrounged throughout the years.

Rey and her students are attacked on Ahch To by the knights of Ren as Kylo knows the location and waited until his mother was gone. Rey defeats the knights of Ren with the aid of some of her more senior students. Realizing the threat that Kylo knows there location she heads back to meet up with Poe and Chewie. They meet on a planet could be known or not. Doesn't really matter. They discuss a dangerous plan with Rose and Finn over comms to take back Coruscant. Begin the Siege of Coruscant. Poe and Chewie have been working contacts to rally a large opposition force to the first order. Rey doesn't know what to do with her students. She meditates and Luke mentions that he built a temple on Tatooine, in the Jundland Wastes. Here she encounters a Tusken Raider trained Jedi apprentice of Luke (backstory fleshed out in comics, this Raider's family lived at the Village where Anakin killed everyone) when Luke met him later he attacked Luke but Luke defended himself and found out why the Raider was mad and diffused it. And he wound up figuring out this Tuskan was force sensitive and Luke trained him for some time while building a Temple near Kenobi's Hut. Rey leaves her students with this apprentice of Luke.

Come to the final battle, the Siege of Coruscant. This is combo space and surface battle. The battle rages for a solid 15 to 20 minutes.

Kylo enters the battle. He has been away and found the source of the dark side power. He absorbed it into himself. Now he shows up a horrifying visage. After his ship breaks the rebel blockade he lands on the Surface. Charges into Hux's room and chews him out. Destroying many of the relics in the room. He then goes out to confront the rebel ground forces. The Rebels have made heavy grounds encroaching on the palace. All of the sudden a first order tank is ripped asunder. Revealing Kylo Ren. He starts destroying rebel troops, Finn and Rose organize a retreat. Kylo rallies his troops and starts to hunt them down. As the Rebels take out the First order Navy over the planet, Hux commits suicide realizing that he will die anyway and wants to take it into his own hands. Rey arrives on the scene and meets up with Finn and Rose. She engages in battle vs. Ren. And it's a heavy battle Kylo winds up besting Rey, killing her, throwback to Han she gently touches his face. Kylo all the sudden feels a huge rush of emotion. And heals Rey before running back to the Palace. In the Palace he sees the ghost of Luke and the Ghost of Anakin. They have a conversation with him about the hollowness of the darkside. Kylo is truly struggling to balance his desire for power with what he knows to be true, he connections to his family. Leia enters and nods to him. And here we see the battle turn, Kylo rips apart the first order ground troops. Destroying them with ease. Before reaching to the sky and pulling down the remaining first order ships from orbit. He then issues a command to all first order troops that the war is over, they've lost and they should surrender to local authorities. Rey approaches him but he shuns her. He says to her something along the lines of he's come too far, he ignites his saber and before he can plunge it into himself Rey stops him. Giving him a second chance at life. He admits to Rey that he cannot return, but he will leave them to do the job to build the Galaxy as he heads to the unknown regions.

The film ends on Tatooine where Rey is training her younglings, from a nearby cliff we see some blue figures, Rey looks up and smiles at them, lookign down on her are Leia, Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

1. If you have an issue with Luke's exile, that's not Johnson's fault, that's Kasden and Abrams's fault. They wrote him into exile. Johnson dealt with the cards he had.

2. Star Wars is about good vs. evil, in a way. But there's also shades of Gray. Ignoring the Prequels and other content is silly. Sure the Empire is evil, but who's evil in the prequels? Again we know that the Dark Side is bad, but where does the Last Jedi contradict that? Johnson wasn't trying to paint the rebellion or resistance as just as culpable as the first order. He was tempting Finn. DJ was a test for Finn. And he isn't a good character. It would be like calling Han Solo before returning to the death star a good guy. He was just doing it for the money.

3. Luke's death was not terrible, it was fantastic. He died doing what you said he always did, rush in to save others. He knew that doing what he did would kill himself. And he died displaying the strongest force power we've seen on film. I don't get how he doesn't sacrifice himself for others. It's literally what he did at the film's finale, he sacrificed himself to save the resistance and his sister.

4. How can you say it's not a Star Wars film? For starters, we had 7 films before it, aside from episode 7 which was a ripoff of 4 and 5, they weren't all that similar. Especially comparing the prequels to the OT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    At least we can all agree The Mandalorian is phenomenal. I can't wait for season 2! I can't wait to see what they do with Ahsoka.
    I've got money on flashbacks. Everyone is talking about Boba surviving, but I'm guessing we talk about with Bo Katan being involved and likely her being killed on the Purge. That we're more likely to see the purge of mandalore where Din Djarin escapes.

Is Ahsoka a flashback? Hard to say. The timeline for this is post her search for Ezra so it will be interesting to see how they go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I've got money on flashbacks. Everyone is talking about Boba surviving, but I'm guessing we talk about with Bo Katan being involved and likely her being killed on the Purge. That we're more likely to see the purge of mandalore where Din Djarin escapes.

Is Ahsoka a flashback? Hard to say. The timeline for this is post her search for Ezra so it will be interesting to see how they go.
    Rumor is that Ashoka will be more than just a passing character. Also, considering they cast Rosario Dawson for the role, I'm thinking they want Ahsoka to be a big player.

I'm not thinking the flashbacks will be big enough in the plot to justify Ahsoka. Favreau emphasizes tight episodes with things kept simple. I think that makes elaborate flashbacks unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I mean it's probable that Ahsoka is still looking for Ezra at this point, but I would hope that's resolved. I'm assuming she's an option to take the child from Din, but the Child won't want to leave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I mean it's probable that Ahsoka is still looking for Ezra at this point, but I would hope that's resolved. I'm assuming she's an option to take the child from Din, but the Child won't want to leave.
    I'm assuming that too. It fits with what was said about finding his own kind.