Page 80 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1755

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    So leia was kidnapped, tortured, saw the grand inquisitors, and knew obi wan pretty well and don’t mention any of this in A New Hope?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    So leia was kidnapped, tortured, saw the grand inquisitors, and knew obi wan pretty well and don’t mention any of this in A New Hope?
    The running assumption is that Obi Wan will be convincingly "killed off" akin to Batman at the end of TDKR where the audience and a few know he is alive (Luke knows of Ben Kenobi in ANH)

That being said too, she's a child. She will probably forget/screw up a lot of events here. I know when I was really young I don't remember every detail of even big events involving me.

I think the Leia inclusion is meh from a lore stand point. It makes them walk a tight line for the story to keep it believable in canon.

I fear their conclusion will be Obi Wan faking his death and then later mind wiping Leia with the force.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    On second thought, leia knows him as ‘Ben’ So she might not realize Ben and general konebi are the same person in A New Hope

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    On second thought, leia knows him as ‘Ben’ So she might not realize Ben and general konebi are the same person in A New Hope
    Didn't Obi-Wan tell Leia that he knows her father in one of these episodes? And in ANH Leia clearly states that Obi-Wan served her father in the Clone Wars.

I think a mind wipe is coming but who knows. They apparently are making a season 2 of the Obi-Wan series. From a lore perspective, none of this really makes sense. It's just a cash grab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Reva is still a huge drag on the show for me. I can't tell if it's Chow's choices with direction or Moses Ingram's acting but she's so wooden and unconvincing.

Compare Ingram's performance to Indira Varma as Tala. Varma has been fantastic. She conveys a very real character who is guilt ridden and determined to make amends while also being absolutely ruthless when necessary.

You then switch to Ingram who you never for a second forget that she's an actor. It's not even lack of backstory, she's just not even close to conveying genuine seeming emotions. 5th Brother conveys more rage in one scene than Ingram has the whole show.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Reva is still a huge drag on the show for me. I can't tell if it's Chow's choices with direction or Moses Ingram's acting but she's so wooden and unconvincing.

Compare Ingram's performance to Indira Varma as Tala. Varma has been fantastic. She conveys a very real character who is guilt ridden and determined to make amends while also being absolutely ruthless when necessary.

You then switch to Ingram who you never for a second forget that she's an actor. It's not even lack of backstory, she's just not even close to conveying genuine seeming emotions. 5th Brother conveys more rage in one scene than Ingram has the whole show.
    It's because Ingram still feels like she's doing stage acting up there.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    It's because Ingram still feels like she's doing stage acting up there.
    That would explain it. Her emotional reactions seem over the top and she almost over enunciates her words. Those are things you have to do on stage because of the distance to the audience. Screen acting has to be more subtle.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Todays episode was pretty damn good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    That would explain it. Her emotional reactions seem over the top and she almost over enunciates her words. Those are things you have to do on stage because of the distance to the audience. Screen acting has to be more subtle.
    I believe she's channelling her inner Tarkin, etc. But also with the reveals of the current episode essentailly she's been putting on a performance for years. Will be interesting to see the conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Loved the finale. The fight between Vader and Kenobi was awesome. A clash of titans.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Overall I liked the series. It helped reinforce a few lines from the original trilogy which is always nice. Probably the only thing I didn't like was the relationship between Obi-Wan and Leia and how it doesn't carry over in the OT. Clearly a result of the OT being written 40+ years ago but I thought they may have done of a better job with that. Now question from lore nerds is why didn't Leia seem to care about Obi-Wan when he died? Why did Obi-Wan seemingly forget about Leia at all and Yoda had to remind him "there is another". But nothing can be prefect. Series was a lot better than Bobba Fett.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Overall I liked the series. It helped reinforce a few lines from the original trilogy which is always nice. Probably the only thing I didn't like was the relationship between Obi-Wan and Leia and how it doesn't carry over in the OT. Clearly a result of the OT being written 40+ years ago but I thought they may have done of a better job with that. Now question from lore nerds is why didn't Leia seem to care about Obi-Wan when he died? Why did Obi-Wan seemingly forget about Leia at all and Yoda had to remind him "there is another". But nothing can be prefect. Series was a lot better than Bobba Fett.
    Well I mean the "There is another" line was kind of ruined by Ep 3 in that same vein as Obi Wan was there when the twins were born.

I think it was a solid series overall. I doubt I'll watch it a ton more. I loved whatever the name of O'Shea Jackson Jr's character was (somethinglike Reken) Indira Varma's character was good, but she's always good it seems. Moses Ingram was forced through a lot of **** for the plot, and she put on a show in the latter half of the series. Of course McGregor killed it like everyone knew he would.

For my general gripes. I feel like the series had to tread a line, a tight line. Where they could go to play with key characters but also keep things so that they fit the general area of Episode IV.

You're right that the time spent with Leia is tough, but my guess is that it's kid memory type of stuff. While this trauma would have stuck with Leia, she was only 9 or 10 at the time and would go another 9-10 years doing things before she would see Kenobi again who looked very different. Perhaps she assumed they weren't the same person. I don't really know. It was a choice but there also had to be a threat to Luke or Leia to get Kenobi off the planet he would have no other reason to live.

I mean the series did well. It felt like it could have been a fine 2 hour movie with a lot of the stuff cut from it. But with the time and budget I'm glad they had fun with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    My only real complaint (outside Ingram's acting, which got a little better later on) was that it was almost two series playing tug of war. I think it would have been better to have Kenobi and Star Wars: Inquisition as separate shows.

I think Reva is an interesting idea for a main character of her own series. A youngling there during Order 66 who is now an inquisitor tasked with hunting down a Jedi master. During the process she's enduring a fight between the dark side and the light side. There's a great story there if you give it enough time and attention.

I think Kenobi would have been even better had there been more focus on Kenobi and less focus on Reva. Vader is enough of a villain. Reva felt like a distraction by the end.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    My only real complaint (outside Ingram's acting, which got a little better later on) was that it was almost two series playing tug of war. I think it would have been better to have Kenobi and Star Wars: Inquisition as separate shows.

I think Reva is an interesting idea for a main character of her own series. A youngling there during Order 66 who is now an inquisitor tasked with hunting down a Jedi master. During the process she's enduring a fight between the dark side and the light side. There's a great story there if you give it enough time and attention.

I think Kenobi would have been even better had there been more focus on Kenobi and less focus on Reva. Vader is enough of a villain. Reva felt like a distraction by the end.
    You really think a Reva spin off and storyline will be a hit? I think it will be a dud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Well my theory is based on the story told that her purpose was to be Obi Wan's foil to return to his glory.

I think it also was there to provide some heat.

Again I think the main issue was this as a film plays fine. Obi Wan encounters an inquisitor who kidnaps Leia to draw him out knowing he was alive. He rescues leia but is cornered by the inquisitor he escapes Vader is brought in, in a duel Vader and Inquisitor dies betraying vader. Leading to final battle of Vader vs. Obiwan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    You really think a Reva spin off and storyline will be a hit? I think it will be a dud.
    I think a spinoff would be a dud at this point. Had it been its own series unconnected with Kenobi with a better actress as Reva, I think it could be a success.

The inquisition is interesting and hasn't been explored in depth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think a spinoff would be a dud at this point. Had it been its own series unconnected with Kenobi with a better actress as Reva, I think it could be a success.

The inquisition is interesting and hasn't been explored in depth.
    I mean it's been pretty well explored in depth in Rebels. We already had a Reva-lite story in Jedi: Fallen Order too. It could have more tales told about it for sure (especially since it was basically ended in Rebels) but I think it's been explained fairly well.

Moses Ingram was more than fine in the role. She was acting very Anakin-esque and I'm sure that was the direction she was given. Just like Hayden Christensen or Natalie Portman aren't bad actors because their characters felt wooden and hollow in the prequels. Neither is Ingram here. Did you watch Queen's Gambit? She slayed there.

But anyway, I was thinking, I really hope we don't get a second season of Kenobi. My fear is that it will go into Qui Gon training Obi Wan on how to become a force ghost. Which if it does it's annoying because it removes the mysticism of Star Wars. One of the key components of a good fantasy is not being told everything. For example we don't need to know how Gandalf or Galadriel got their powers, just know they're powerful beings who can do more than others.

Star Wars needs less world building and more tales. World Building is important for some things, but it's almost never important for Movies or TV Shows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I mean it's been pretty well explored in depth in Rebels. We already had a Reva-lite story in Jedi: Fallen Order too. It could have more tales told about it for sure (especially since it was basically ended in Rebels) but I think it's been explained fairly well.

Moses Ingram was more than fine in the role. She was acting very Anakin-esque and I'm sure that was the direction she was given. Just like Hayden Christensen or Natalie Portman aren't bad actors because their characters felt wooden and hollow in the prequels. Neither is Ingram here. Did you watch Queen's Gambit? She slayed there.

But anyway, I was thinking, I really hope we don't get a second season of Kenobi. My fear is that it will go into Qui Gon training Obi Wan on how to become a force ghost. Which if it does it's annoying because it removes the mysticism of Star Wars. One of the key components of a good fantasy is not being told everything. For example we don't need to know how Gandalf or Galadriel got their powers, just know they're powerful beings who can do more than others.

Star Wars needs less world building and more tales. World Building is important for some things, but it's almost never important for Movies or TV Shows.
    We only saw the tip of the Inquisition ice berg in Rebels. We still know very little about their other exploits, their numbers, their training, etc. We only just saw their fortress in Kenobi.

It could be the direction for Ingram. That's entirely possible. But a less wooden character would have been a great protagonist of a stand alone inquisition series. An inquisitor turning back to the light side and facing off against her former brethren is a good story.

The only world building Star Wars needs at this point is way in the past or way in the future. Anything within 100 years of the Battle of Yavin doesn't need much world building.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

Wouldn't one think Kenobi killing Maul on Tatooine be part of Kenobi? Or at least his exploits on Mandalore (if they were to jump to a much earlier version)
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    We only saw the tip of the Inquisition ice berg in Rebels. We still know very little about their other exploits, their numbers, their training, etc. We only just saw their fortress in Kenobi.

It could be the direction for Ingram. That's entirely possible. But a less wooden character would have been a great protagonist of a stand alone inquisition series. An inquisitor turning back to the light side and facing off against her former brethren is a good story.

The only world building Star Wars needs at this point is way in the past or way in the future. Anything within 100 years of the Battle of Yavin doesn't need much world building.
    Fortress Inquisitorius was in Jedi Fallen Order.

Don't get me wrong, I'm down with more exploring of Inquisitors as they have a good potential. Loved them in the Vader comics.