Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmons dealt to Angels for two top pitchers, Aybar

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    7th ranked player in a unanimously agreed upon highly ranked system... Is "filler"? Got it.
    Ranked 7th by one person. Our system is highly ranked by those who love quantity. We have lots of it. We only have 1 (maybe 2) high end prospects. That is the point you are missing. Ellis is likely destined for the bullpen which isn't a bad thing but I seriously doubt he is future rotation material.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
    He'll be pissed until that he sees his bank statement showing this month's direct deposit.
    Funny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think Fried would also qualify as top-tier, but he does have a huge injury question mark.
    Yes, without a doubt.

Simmons was a favorite here. There will be new favorites in time. I hope Albies will be one of those in 2018.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ranked 7th by one person. Our system is highly ranked by those who love quantity. We have lots of it. We only have 1 (maybe 2) high end prospects. That is the point you are missing. Ellis is likely destined for the bullpen which isn't a bad thing but I seriously doubt he is future rotation material.
    But you have no idea. He has 1 (ONE!) year in the minors.

He was their 2nd ranked prospect. That 7th ranking puts him ahead of Sims in one evaluators mind. Think about that.
    Ivermectin Man

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    simmons is owed a lot in the back end of that contract. the club is setting themselves up to have both plenty of young talent and plenty of payroll flexibility in a few years. if you're going to rebuild, do it right. rushing this to be pretty good in a year or two isn't as good as planning to be great in three or four years. i know it's a long time, but potentially they'll be so freaking set for years to come after just a few more wasted summers.

as it was, the top end prospects in the system were eh. this is one more top guy now that can really matter. the rotation now is close to being freaking stacked down the line. it's dark today, but will pay off in a big way.

as for position players, clearly the braves are planning on signing as many international guys as they can to fill those voids. we'll see, but the 18 year old class of draftees seems to be the true core of the next generation so it's going to take three or four years anyway. may as well get better for the future than hang on to a guy during his prime years as you will lose anyway only to have him get more and more expensive as you go.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-13-2015), BedellBrave (11-13-2015), clvclv (11-13-2015), mfree80 (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    How close to mlb ready is Newcomb?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How close to mlb ready is Newcomb?
    Finished in AA I believe. Would probably either pick up there for a few months, or start at AAA for us depending on rosters. I would imagine a Sept callup if all systems are go is not unrealistic.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The FV rankings I've seen on Ellis are 45 to 50. I'd suggest his value is most comparable to Tyrell Jenkins. I'd put both Jenkins and Ellis behind Sims.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I think we've decided to become innovators in the baseball world. In 10 years you will no longer see 5 man set rotations and 7 BP arms. No, no, no. Starting in 2017, we're go to roll with 12 starting pitchers. I mean relievers are basically failed starters anyways, right? Starting in 2017, every game we're going to run out 1 starter for 5 innings, then roll out another starter to finish the game. Opposing offenses won't know what hit em'!!! This would also explain why we traded away the best closer in baseball as well. We simply won't have a need for him anymore

2017 Braves - Leading the way for baseball innovation
    Last edited by Carp; 11-13-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    The whole comparing Newcomb to Price thing is ridiculous. All they really have in common is the fact that they're both big, hard throwing lefties. There are dozens of guys in the majors that match this description but only one David Price.

I've read different things about Newcomb. One writer quoted a scout saying that Newcomb will be a front line starter and that the control isn't a worry because he's consistently around the plate. With experience he'll dial it in. Another writer quoted a scout saying he doesn't see Newcomb sticking as a starter. Said that the control issues will make him a high pitch count starter who has to be moved to the pen. I think Baseball America has the control issues stemming from him struggling to find a consistent release point. If that's the case then I'm very optimistic. That's something you can fix. Kimbrel had that issue when he first game up. Once he smoothed things out, he became the pitcher we saw.

The thing I like about getting Newcomb is that he's a legitimate threat to be a dominant player. Wisler was a highly ranked prospect but that was more because his polish made him very low risk. He projects as more of a middle of the rotation starter. A guy who is useful but not someone who is going to carry your team. Guys like Newcomb, Allard, Sims, Fried, Toussaint, and even Folty have the potential to be studs. The sky is the limit with them. If we can hit on 2 out of that group, we'll have the makings of a very good staff. Some will definitely bust but I love having high ceiling guys. Better to wager when the potential payoff is high.

Ellis is highly thought of to be able to crack our top 10 but he just doesn't excite me as a starter. I think he'll fit better with us as a reliever. With all the pitching we've acquired, guys with middle of the rotation ceilings just don't seem to have much room in our system.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-13-2015), clvclv (11-13-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Or may be the plan is to stockpile all this pitching and then sign all the top tier FA pitchers this winter, thereby forcing the market into our favor. With the market dry, teams will be blowing our FO up trying to trade any of their great hitters for a drink of our young, refreshing pitching surplus.

Smart play, Johns. Smart play.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    But you have no idea. He has 1 (ONE!) year in the minors.

He was their 2nd ranked prospect. That 7th ranking puts him ahead of Sims in one evaluators mind. Think about that.
    You're right. He's a future middle of the rotation starter. Sims is another likely bullpen piece moving forward. Again there is nothing wrong with that but I think you are confusing quantity with quality which is what a lot of people on here did last offseason.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Wisler and Newcomb are the only top tier pitching prospects we're traded for.
    Toussaint?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    You're right. He's a future middle of the rotation starter. Sims is another likely bullpen piece moving forward. Again there is nothing wrong with that but I think you are confusing quantity with quality which is what a lot of people on here did last offseason.
    I'm not confusing anything at all. My point is you have no idea what these guys will do/develop into. Don't act like its a done deal. Sims just blew through the AFL and had a huge 2nd half. So I'd rethink that opinion.

Fried, Toussiant, Newcomb, Wisler, Allard, Soroka, Sims are prospects ANY teams would love to have in their top 5. Much less Jenkins and the next tier.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    I'm not confusing anything at all. My point is you have no idea what these guys will do/develop into. Don't act like its a done deal. Sims just blew through the AFL and had a huge 2nd half. So I'd rethink that opinion.

Fried, Toussiant, Newcomb, Wisler, Allard, Soroka, Sims are prospects ANY teams would love to have in their top 5. Much less Jenkins and the next tier.
    I have a pretty good idea that we don't need to continue to stockpile pitching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Why do you think Sims is a likely bullpen piece? He's got great velocity and life on his fastball, his curve is good, and his changeup is coming along. He's got a good shot at having three major league pitches. The biggest flaw in his game has been his BBs. But considering how he's young and the Braves have pushed him, there's a very good chance that improves. In fact, there are signs that's developing as we speak.

His last 3 starts at Mississipi he went at least 6 IP and didn't walk more than 2. Now in the AFL he's K'd 15 and walked only 3 in 14 IP. The AFL is usually a hitter's league. In his last 33.1 IP, he's walked only 8 men compared to 37 Ks. That's pretty dominant.

When you consider the fact that he started the year as a 20 year old in high A ball, missed over a month due to a bus crash, came back, earned a promotion to AA, finished the year as a 21 year old in AA, and has over 4.5 K/BB over his last 33.1 IP, you should be excited!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-13-2015), Tapate50 (11-13-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
    He'll be pissed until that he sees his bank statement showing this month's direct deposit.
    What is the point of making this comment? Are professional athletes not competitive? They're ALL rich. That doesn't mean they don't want to win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Ellis has three pitches with one of them being a plus changeup. I think the Braves see him as a future starter.
    thank you weso1!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

How can you say that Newcomb and Wisler are only elite prospects?!? I guess we need to define elite. But those above plus Folty all can be consider top talent. Folty is close to ready, just not polished. there is no question that he has the ability to be special. I think having the ability is all I need to consider a prospect elite. Riley could be considered elite in the same perspective as Allard would be. High draft pick that excelled out of the gate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    I have a pretty good idea that we don't need to continue to stockpile pitching.
    Since none of them will be impact players, then we better ! LOL.
    Ivermectin Man