Thread: Andrelton Simmons Tribute Thread: TRON, who "fought for the users"!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

Andrelton Simmons Tribute Thread: TRON, who "fought for the users"!

It's just hard to replace the defensive baseball IQ of Andrelton.

It was more of a treat to watch him than Andruw because he was involved on nearly every play. Every stolen base attempt, every relay throw, every double play, every pick off, etc.

It's amazing how much time and time again he showed us something we never saw before on the defensive side. And made the impossible look routine. His athleticism alone as a shortstop was breathtaking.

The sliding pickups, the quick releases, the efficiency. He made every bad throw from a catcher a close play on stolen base attempts. He turned duoble plays as good as anybody. Had the best arm at shortstop IMO.

It's just depressing to me, Andrelton's defense is a once in a generation talent like Andruw was. To just ship him off like that when you have control of him for many years, and he's by far a fan favorite it just sucks.

I loved the way he plays the game. Heads up baseball, takes risks, plays hard, plays clean.

Doesn't he represent the Braves way? We joke Heyward didn't love baseball because of how quiet his demeanor is, but Andrelton should be the poster boy for that joke. He hustled all the time, always kept base runners honest because you never knew when he'd throw in their direction.

Watching Andrelton play is like Zeets watching that 12 year old on the Sandlot who doesn't want to go home. Just wants to be out there hitting until darkness. Like Heyward, a student of the game, and respected the game.

Thanks for the many memories Tron, Braves Country will never forget you!

Forever Fredi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

braves31win (11-12-2015), bravesfanMatt (11-13-2015), Runnin (11-13-2015)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I thought Simmons would be here longer than Freeman, and be the next Mr. Brave after Chipper. Then again I thought the same about J-Hey.

Sad to see this is now too.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I've seen a lot of good glove guys, but no one who combined an elite glove and arm with the baseball IQ and killer instinct that Tron has. He played offense on defense like no one I've ever seen, actively stealing outs from the other team.

The trade may very well end up working out in our favor. Still, watching him play shortstop every day I was one of the reasons I continued to watch last year, and would continue to watch next season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-12-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I've seen a lot of good glove guys, but no one who combined an elite glove and arm with the baseball IQ and killer instinct that Tron has. He played offense on defense like no one I've ever seen, actively stealing outs from the other team.

The trade may very well end up working out in our favor. Still, watching him play shortstop every day I was one of the reasons I continued to watch last year, and would continue to watch next season.
    the jury is out on this trade for me. I honestly need to research these players and see what else they have up their selves. But I will say the Angels just got themselves a new fan. Sure I will go for the Braves over anyone.. but Anaconda was so fun to watch. He really has a shot at being the best defensive short stop ever.. I hate to see him go, but understand it is a business and hopefully, our scouts know what they are doing. The Angel fans upset about this won't be next year..I really think Simmons will become a good hitter at some point. It is just a matter of time...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    the jury is out on this trade for me. I honestly need to research these players and see what else they have up their selves. But I will say the Angels just got themselves a new fan. Sure I will go for the Braves over anyone.. but Anaconda was so fun to watch. He really has a shot at being the best defensive short stop ever.. I hate to see him go, but understand it is a business and hopefully, our scouts know what they are doing. The Angel fans upset about this won't be next year..I really think Simmons will become a good hitter at some point. It is just a matter of time...
    I take my emotion out and I still think this sucks. But not that the pieces we got back were garbage. Everyone who says that is full of ish don't really understand baseball. However, the package for Simmons is not good enough. I'm sad to see the Hawks version of the Human Highlight Factory sold off for what he was. I'll miss him. But I am on the fence about the pieces we got. Newcomb is not garbage. If he'd have been raised a Brave we'd all be at Turner Field looking for the 3 Johns.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I have nothing against the three players we picked up, I like a lot of what I have read about Newcomb in particular. However, Andrelton Simmons is the only player in my 40+ years of following this team who, for me, offense didn't matter, even a little. He made me look forward to watching our defensive half of innings. No one has ever made me feel like that, Andruw came closest. Unless Sean Newcomb pitches like Don Newcomb in his prime, we will regret this deal the same way the Padres regretted the Ozzie Smith/Gary Templeton deal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-13-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I'm not overjoyed with the trade, but here's where you and I differ. Unless Simmons makes some pretty drastic changes at the plate, I think he is what he is. Of all the guys I thought Seitzer would make a difference for, Simmons was at the top of my list. I just didn't see any improvement.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I don't think I've ever seen a shortstop throw so directly over the top so often. You often see middle infielders drop down with the arm slot or get a little lazy on easy plays. Andrelton just stayed directly over the top on every play, like the pitcher he used to be.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not overjoyed with the trade, but here's where you and I differ. Unless Simmons makes some pretty drastic changes at the plate, I think he is what he is. Of all the guys I thought Seitzer would make a difference for, Simmons was at the top of my list. I just didn't see any improvement.
    fair point.. however, my take is that Simmons is going to get everyday playing time. He will learn to be a better hitter just for the fact that he will continue to play. never will I say he is going to be an offensive force, but he is too gifted in the hand eye coordination to not become a better hitter than .260... I see him peeking around .280ish type with 7-10 homers..

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Sentiment here is universal and Julio summed it up nicely.

I have never seen anyone play "offense" on defense like Simmons has at any position. Maybe Molina who tries to pick off guys a lot but Simmons is everywhere. You could guarantee an out anywhere between 2nd base and wherever the 3rd baseman was standing with Simmons there. I genuinely looked forward to watching our team on defense because of Simmons and Markakis.
    Forever Fredi

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Best defensive player I've ever watched, and we've had some greats.

Watching Andrelton play defense was the best part of a game for me. Just watching him field a routine grounder, you could see that he was on a whole other level from everyone else who plays the position.

Sad trade. Can't say I understand it.