Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Freeman Trade Speculation

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Public perception of the results is all that matters and that will be determined in large part by the faith the team and the fanbase has in the GM.

Knowing what to say and how to say it is something that JS and JH do about as well as anyone.
    The perception of the results doesn't matter. Dayton Moore was perceived to be a dunce the first 5 years his time with the Royals, then he won and the perception changed. That's going to be true of Coppy as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-19-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I don't see us trading Aybar until after the season has started. He is really the only option at the position we have until Albies is ready. Yeah you can try Garcia but really he is not an everyday option. You put Aybar out there and hope he has a good first half of the season. Trade him at the deadline and pick up prospects.
    Adonis will be at 3rd unless something changes. Castro will man SS next year with Pedro filling in for either of them. Aybar will have no value at the deadline. What team will be looking for a slap hitting SS to put them over the top with less than half a season left. Trade him this offseason so a team will have him for an entire year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Adonis will be at 3rd unless something changes. Castro will man SS next year with Pedro filling in for either of them. Aybar will have no value at the deadline. What team will be looking for a slap hitting SS to put them over the top with less than half a season left. Trade him this offseason so a team will have him for an entire year.
    Was thinking of Castro...my bad!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Was thinking of Castro...my bad!
    ideally, that is not a great combination.. but it will work for next year since we will most likely be bad anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    1b - Freeman
    2b - Peterson
    SS - Aybar
    3b - Garcia
    LF - Olivera
    CF - Maybin
    RF - Markakis
    C - AJ/Bethancourt

Bench:
    Swisher
    Bourn
    AJ/Bethancourt
    Open competition

God that is depressing

What is the line up?

Markakis
    Maybin
    Freeman
    Garcia
    AJ
    Olivera
    Aybar
    Peterson

Or

Markakis
    Maybin
    Freeman
    Garcia
    Olivera
    Aybar
    Peterson
    Bethancourt
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 11-19-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I hope we trade Aybor personally. this is his only year he will be here.. We are going to stink next year. Get some value from him...
    I would agree. But it seems the FO wants to try and appease the fans somehow without going into full rebuild mode.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    1b - Freeman
    2b - Peterson
    SS - Aybar
    3b - Garcia
    LF - Olivera
    CF - Maybin
    RF - Markakis
    C - AJ/Bethancourt

Bench:
    Swisher
    Bourn
    AJ/Bethancourt
    Open competition

God that is depressing

What is the line up?

Markakis
    Maybin
    Freeman
    Garcia
    AJ
    Olivera
    Aybar
    Peterson

Or

Markakis
    Maybin
    Freeman
    Garcia
    Olivera
    Aybar
    Peterson
    Bethancourt
    That lineup actually isn't as bad as I was expecting IF and it's a big IF Olivera becomes a solid middle of the order bat.

Aybar SS
    Jace 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Olivera LF
    Markakis RF
    Maybin CF
    AJ C
    Please please please please not Adonis 3B

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Plenty of teams could be looking for an upgrade at SS at the deadline, especially a cheap one that they only have to commit to for a few months.

But yes, since part of the reason Simmons was dealt was due to the lack of SS options this offseason and his inflated value, that should also make Aybar more valuable as well. However, just like in Maybin's case, I would not be in favor of trading Aybar for some 45 FV prospect that wouldn't even crack the Braves top 20 because those are pointless additions to the system, but if Aybar combined with other assets can bring back a legit hitting prospect I think it's clearly in the Braves best interest to move him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The perception of the results doesn't matter. Dayton Moore was perceived to be a dunce the first 5 years his time with the Royals, then he won and the perception changed. That's going to be true of Coppy as well.
    5 years of Dunceville in KC was doable because it was KC. He won't last 2 in Atlanta if he's perceived that way.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    That lineup actually isn't as bad as I was expecting IF and it's a big IF Olivera becomes a solid middle of the order bat.

Aybar SS
    Jace 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Olivera LF
    Markakis RF
    Maybin CF
    AJ C
    Please please please please not Adonis 3B
    The off-season is still very young.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    The off-season is still very young.
    Yep, Bryan Pena is on his way to help. Alberto Callaspo as well.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    People are very predictable this way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think the point is, Aybar shouldn't be as massive of a downgrade (based off their recent #s) that most people are suggesting. He still produced a 2.3 WAR in 2015 and will likely be better offensively than Simmons next season. He will be 32 next season, so that is a concern, but we also got back two very promising pitchers in the deal as well. Its a trade that could help out both long term and short term.
    I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining myself. I'm not taking issue with the trade. I'm fine with the trades, especially if we can get something for Aybar later.

My issue is in the attempt to sell the trade and in the overall attitude Coppy seems to have. And yes, it matters. Dayton Moore may have been thought a fool, but he was pretty open about his plan and he never blasted the fan base. That will cause fans to turn on you, which will affect attendance and ultimately revenue. And now is not a time to be messing with revenue.

I know several season-ticket holders who are not planning to pay for them anymore. That is a problem. A GM who tries to explain things to the fan base and how they can help in the process has a chance of keeping them on board. A GM who gets defensive and dismissive is likely to turn the fan base entirely against him.

Payroll will only increase if more fans come to games. They won't, even with the new stadium, if they believe the FO is trying to lose and then attacks them on top of it. I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about the average fan. They don't get this, and the FO has done nothing to try to explain it. And now on top of that, Coppy's going to be a dick to them?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Yep, Bryan Pena is on his way to help. Alberto Callaspo as well.
    If we can once again eventually turn him into two decent pitching prospects like Gant and Whalen, sign me up for Callaspo.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-19-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Also, I actually believe Coppy is doing well in personnel moves, and I want him to stay as the guy making deals. His chances of that are lessened when he angers the fan base. So I would like him to stop doing it.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    It's so sad that we have to make statements like that considering we gave up Wood and Peraza to acquire him.

What a damn stupid trade.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's so sad that we have to make statements like that considering we gave up Wood and Peraza to acquire him.

What a damn stupid trade.
    well to be fair neither one of Woods or Peraza were going to become a solid middle of the order bat..just sayin..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    5 years of Dunceville in KC was doable because it was KC. He won't last 2 in Atlanta if he's perceived that way.
    Fredi Gonzalez begs to differ, which is even worse since he's a dunce in both thought and action.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Fredi Gonzalez begs to differ, which is even worse since he's a dunce in both thought and action.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

My issue is in the attempt to sell the trade and in the overall attitude Coppy seems to have. And yes, it matters. Dayton Moore may have been thought a fool, but he was pretty open about his plan and he never blasted the fan base. That will cause fans to turn on you, which will affect attendance and ultimately revenue. And now is not a time to be messing with revenue.

I know several season-ticket holders who are not planning to pay for them anymore. That is a problem. A GM who tries to explain things to the fan base and how they can help in the process has a chance of keeping them on board. A GM who gets defensive and dismissive is likely to turn the fan base entirely against him.

Payroll will only increase if more fans come to games. They won't, even with the new stadium, if they believe the FO is trying to lose and then attacks them on top of it. I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about the average fan. They don't get this, and the FO has done nothing to try to explain it. And now on top of that, Coppy's going to be a dick to them?
    JC Bradbury, David Berri, Stephen Stefnoski, etc. have all done studies about what drives attendance and the only two significant factors were "the halo effect" (new stadium) and winning. Your general ballgame attending fan isn't following blogs to read what their GM is saying and if they are, then they are the type whose demand is inelastic that they tend to go to games regardless.

Now I'm not saying your friends are lying because I believe them that they won't go to games to watch this crap team. But I don't believe they wouldn't return to see the team if the team was good.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-19-2015), Horsehide Harry (11-19-2015)