Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimbrel traded to Red Sox

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts

Kimbrel traded to Red Sox

Figured I would do a thread of its own due to the familiarity with him and the position players going to the Padres.

Per MLBTraderumors:

Top outfield prospect Manuel Margot and lefty Logan Allen are two pieces of the return going to San Diego, Josh Norris of Baseball America reports (Twitter links). Likewise, infielder Carlos Asuaje is heading to the Pads, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). And shortstop Javier Guerra is another piece being shipped out of Boston, Alex Speier of the Boston Globe tweets.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    A quick look had Margot as the #24 prospect on BA's mid season list. The question does have to be asked. Would the Braves have been better served just shipping out Kimbrel on his own to get a package similar to this or using him to get rid of BJ's salary. IMO it doesn't look like the Braves will compete until after 2017 (the time his contract runs out) so using his salary before then won't make much of a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Figured I would do a thread of its own due to the familiarity with him and the position players going to the Padres.

Per MLBTraderumors:

Top outfield prospect Manuel Margot and lefty Logan Allen are two pieces of the return going to San Diego, Josh Norris of Baseball America reports (Twitter links). Likewise, infielder Carlos Asuaje is heading to the Pads, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). And shortstop Javier Guerra is another piece being shipped out of Boston, Alex Speier of the Boston Globe tweets.
    Just saying, but Manny Margot and Javier Guerra are two high upside bats, and both legit prospect hitters. Great trade for the Padres, but the Red Sox deal from a position of strength. Wish we could get some semblance of this type of an upside bat in a trade, we failed to do so in every single deal since our rebuild began.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Just saying, but Manny Margot and Javier Guerra are two high upside bats, and both legit prospect hitters. Great trade for the Padres, but the Red Sox deal from a position of strength. Wish we could get some semblance of this type of an upside bat in a trade, we failed to do so in every single deal since our rebuild began.
    But, but there are NO bats available for trade....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    But, but there are NO bats available for trade....
    Not sure who said that. But the Red Sox, despite the money, really have to be commended for how they've continued to have one of the top minor league systems even while competing most years.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-14-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    That seems like an overpay from Boston's prospective.

And i do think we would have been better off trading Kimbrel alone rather than with BJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

And i do think we would have been better off trading Kimbrel alone rather than with BJ.
    The thing is, Boston can afford to overpay. Their OF is already stacked at the major league level, and they've got a young CF and SS of the future who look to be budding stars. They've also got a ton of great pieces left in the minors.

This is why I don't understand why the Braves didn't force a team to overpay EVER. They have been in the position to do so, and made out with break even deals at best. Extremely disappointing.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Of course. But then we would have still had BJ/Melvin...the whole point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Of course. But then we would have still had BJ/Melvin...the whole point
    But now that the rebuild isn't rolling out as quickly as planned, hindsight seems to be we should have just held onto him and paid off the salary, don't you think?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The thing is, Boston can afford to overpay. Their OF is already stacked at the major league level, and they've got a young CF and SS of the future who look to be budding stars. They've also got a ton of great pieces left in the minors.

This is why I don't understand why the Braves didn't force a team to overpay EVER. They have been in the position to do so, and made out with break even deals at best. Extremely disappointing.
    NYC, I usually like your stuff. But, you told me the other day how all the proposed trades that I had listed would never in a million years happen...and I don't think any of those were significantly different than this. Just saying.

Lol I usually love your posts, but you're the king of recommending these minor league trades that are completely unrealistic. As someone who follows prospects and minor leaguers and their value very closely, there is no way we're getting close to that type of value for what you have us giving up. Plus players like Meadows, Frazier, McMahon and even Judge are potentially untouchable in those organizations.

All those guys are on the same footing as Margot and even Newcomb.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 11-13-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

not disagreeing they can, i do agree it seems most deals we only broke even and didnt get someone to overpay which is dissapointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Not sure who said that. But the Red Sox, despite the money, really have to be commended for how they've continued to have one of the top minor league systems even while competing most years.
    Two consecutive last place finishes with a huge payroll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    NYC, I usually like your stuff. But, you told me the other day how all the proposed trades that I had listed would never in a million years happen...and I don't think any of those were significantly different than this. Just saying.
    Yes, but this one actually makes sense to me, because like I said, Margot and Guerra are blocked at the majors by young stars. Sure, McMahon is blocked at Colorado, but they can try to convert him to an OF if the bat is legit. As for Cleveland, they have no reason to trade Zimmer or Frazier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Two consecutive last place finishes with a huge payroll.
    Which has netted them what, only 1 of their current top 10 prospects?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Good haul by the Padres. Not entirely sure why the Sox did that since they have a decent bullpen already. They really need starters.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Margot is an insane get for Kimbrel. Good ****, Preller.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Good haul by the Padres. Not entirely sure why the Sox did that since they have a decent bullpen already. They really need starters.
    I'd imagine they'll be after some of the top SP's.

They've been linked to Cueto although im not sure how he'll do in the AL East.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Yes, but this one actually makes sense to me, because like I said, Margot and Guerra are blocked at the majors by young stars. Sure, McMahon is blocked at Colorado, but they can try to convert him to an OF if the bat is legit. As for Cleveland, they have no reason to trade Zimmer or Frazier.
    Lol I usually love your posts, but you're the king of recommending these minor league trades that are completely unrealistic. As someone who follows prospects and minor leaguers and their value very closely, there is no way we're getting close to that type of value for what you have us giving up. Plus players like Meadows, Frazier, McMahon and even Judge are potentially untouchable in those organizations.

Frazier is blocked by Zimmer and at least a year, if not more away. They have the pitching to compete this year but it will begin to get very expensive next year. They are a bat or two (ML ready now) away so sending them Freeman and Maybin makes sense.

McMahon is a 3B but even if he could be converted to OF the Rocks need pitching much more than they need a 3B converted to OF so Miller for McMahon makes sense.

I think you looked at those trades and immediately discounted them because you didn't want to trade the Braves players that I was trading in the mocks. That was before the Braves started to trade THOSE players. I certainly think the trades (or at least some like them) would have maximized the value which is what you said you wanted.

I might be reading it wrong and if so, mea culpa.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Supposedly there may be more names involved but if its just Kimbrel thats a huge overpay.

Could have just signed some RP's. And used Margot for a SP.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Supposedly there may be more names involved but if its just Kimbrel thats a huge overpay.

Could have just signed some RP's. And used Margot for a SP.
    It's the flavor of the day. Everyone trying to pen up like the Royals...