Thread: Bleacher Report Trade ideas?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Bleacher Report Trade ideas?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nd-speculation

slide show so I posted the three that pertain to us.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Atlanta Gets: RHP Mark Appel, 1B A.J. Reed and OF Kyle Tucker

Houston Gets: 1B Freddie Freeman

The Rumor

Atlanta is shopping first baseman Freddie Freeman, sources tell Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Why It Works for the Astros

Not only is Freeman a massive upgrade over Chris Carter, both at the plate and in the field, but his left-handed bat brings some balance to the Houston lineup, which starts off with four consecutive righties—Jose Altuve, George Springer, Carlos Correa and Evan Gattis.

While he's due significant money—roughly $120 million through 2021—the 26-year-old Freeman is just now entering the prime years of his career. He's the long-term answer at first base the Astros hoped Jonathan Singleton would have been.

Why It Works for the Braves

Some may look at this deal as something of a salary dump by Atlanta, and it'd be foolish not to think that taking Freeman's deal off the books doesn't play a factor in the team's thinking here. But the Braves are also getting a trio of youngsters who could be huge parts of the team's core in short time.

A.J. Reed, 22, crushed minor league pitching to the tune of a .340/.432/.612 triple-slash line with 34 home runs and 127 RBI over 135 games, reaching Double-A in his first full professional season. A future fixture in the middle of the Braves lineup, Reed could break camp with the club next season.

Still a teenager, 18-year-old Kyle Tucker is a few years away from making an impact in the big leagues but might ultimately be the best player of the three Atlanta lands in this deal. He's already shown the ability to make consistent hard contact, and as he fills out his 6'4" frame, the power will come. He has the arm to play right field, but his bat works in either outfield corner.

Mark Appel has yet to meet expectations since Houston made him the top overall selection in the 2013 draft, but the 24-year-old still has significant upside if he can straighten himself out on the mound. Few teams are better equipped to help him do that than the Braves, who add another potentially high-upside arm to their ever-growing stable of young pitching.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Atlanta Gets: RHP Parker Bridwell, 3B Drew Dosch and RHP Mike Wright

Baltimore Gets: OF Nick Markakis and $6 million

The Rumor

Both Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's David O'Brien believe there's some interest on Baltimore's part in a reunion with current Brave and former longtime Oriole Nick Markakis, who doesn't really fit with Atlanta's rebuilding efforts.

Atlanta rids itself of a $33 million expense over the next three years while adding three controllable pieces for the future.

Mike Wright is a MLB-ready starter whose shaky command led to some ugly numbers (a 6.04 ERA and 1.57 WHIP over 44 innings) in his first taste of the big leagues, but he still projects as a quality back-end option or, if all else fails, an effective reliever.

Parker Bridwell's lack of a third plus offering could ultimately shift him into a late-inning relief role, where his fastball-changeup combination could be devastating, while Drew Dosch, who is still a few years away, could be a high average/middling power starter at the hot corner in Atlanta.

Why It Works for the Orioles

Markakis not only fills a void in one of the outfield corners for the Orioles, but his return would help to placate a fanbase that could still see Wei-Yin Chen, Chris Davis and Darren O'Day depart as free agents this winter.

While his power disappeared in Atlanta (three home runs), Markakis' ability to hit for average and get on base consistently will help put runs on the board, especially if he's hitting ahead of the likes of Manny Machado, Adam Jones and Matt Wieters.

The $6 million that Atlanta kicks in gets Markakis' annual cost to Baltimore to less than $10 million per season, which should help gain the approval of owner Peter Angelos

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Atlanta Gets: OF Jorge Soler

Chicago Gets: RHP Julio Teheran

The Rumor

Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports the Cubs are willing to explore the possibility of trading Javier Baez or Jorge Soler, adding that moving one "only would make sense if the return was a pitcher of similar age, service and talent."

Atlanta needs a corner outfielder who not only helps defensively but serves as a masher in the middle of the lineup. Enter 23-year-old Jorge Soler, who put on a clinic in the playoffs, hitting .474 with six extra-base hits (three home runs), five RBI and a 1.705 OPS in seven games, setting a new postseason record in the process.

Since he's signed to a team-friendly deal that pays him just over $21 million through the 2020 season, the Braves wind up saving a bit of cash in this swap as well.

Why It Works for the Cubs

Rather than spend more than $100 million on a big-name starter, Chicago lands a 25-year-old who has flashed ace stuff in the past and will cost the team just over $41 million through the 2020 season.

Teheran didn't have a strong season in 2015, pitching to a 4.04 ERA (4.40 FIP) and 1.31 WHIP, but given his age, there's no reason to believe he can't get back to where he was the previous two seasons, when he posted a combined 3.03 ERA (3.58 FIP) and 1.12 WHIP.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I'd be on board for the 1st two, not so much on the third. Soler definately has talent, but I think the best of Julio is yet to come and I want him to be one of the anchors going forward in the rotation despite all of our depth.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-17-2015), UNCBlue012 (11-17-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I'd probably do all three of those deals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-17-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I'd probably do all three of those deals.
    I like the FF trade for Reed and Tucker.. there are others who think We could get more from the Stros than this deal. Appel is a wild card gamble....

Nick trade is fine if we don't do the 6 million. none of those prospects are worth much.. and Parker was shut down this year with elbow issues.. I don't know the details. but I wouldn't want to lessen the salary dump if that is all we are getting back.

Julio.. not sure. If we keep Miller, then maybe.. but Soler K's at 30%+.. even in the minors.. I feel we can keep Julio and get a better deal for Miller IMO..

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Julio/Soler trade has been talked about so much that it won't happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Why would the Astros trade away a cheap 22 year old LHed hitter at 1B for a more expensive version of the same thing?

If you were the Astros, wouldn't you just play Reed at 1B?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Why would the Astros trade away a cheap 22 year old LHed hitter at 1B for a more expensive version of the same thing?

IDK.. but if they are selling, I would be buying..

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Because with the Astros now firmly established as contenders they would be inclined to trade potential for production. You know pretty much what you're getting with Freeman, whereas Reed could still bust or not yet be ready and hinder their chances this year. Yes, you might be giving up 6 years of a great 1B play, but it's probably worth it if you win a title.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Because with the Astros now firmly established as contenders they would be inclined to trade potential for production. You know pretty much what you're getting with Freeman, whereas Reed could still bust or not yet be ready and hinder their chances this year. Yes, you might be giving up 6 years of a great 1B play, but it's probably worth it if you win a title.
    Reed is not as good a defender as Freeman. Freeman is very good at picking balls in dirt and stretching.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    and Parker was shut down this year with elbow issues..
    Elbow issues you say

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (11-17-2015), bravesfanforlife88 (11-17-2015), bravesfanMatt (11-17-2015), cajunrevenge (11-17-2015), chop2chip (11-17-2015), DaneHill (11-17-2015), JohnAdcox (11-17-2015), Prikichi (11-17-2015), UNCBlue012 (11-17-2015), zedsdead (11-17-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the first two would be solid deals. I'd hate to see Freeman leave, but that would be a nice return. We couldn't actually acquire Tucker until June though, unless the rules have changed.

Unloading Markakis would be a good move. Never really understood the signing (or at least the length of the contract).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (11-17-2015), Tapate50 (11-17-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If we do all this, who do we sign? WE need to have payroll up to a minimum level, how do we hit that? You think Price, Heyward, Greinke, or Upton would sign knowing we'll suck for a bit?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    The Freeman trade and Markakis trade are good trades IMO. Markakis was a good sign at the time, relatively cheap in terms of today's market and we were saying the goal was 17. Now with the goal being pushed back presumably you go ahead and trade him if someone will take him.

The Teheran trade seems like it would center around those 2 but I don't think that would be a straight up trade

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    If we do all this, who do we sign? WE need to have payroll up to a minimum level, how do we hit that? You think Price, Heyward, Greinke, or Upton would sign knowing we'll suck for a bit?
    we could extend Bourn and Swisher

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Don't trade Freddie. I'm down with the other 2 trades. Teheran for Soler just makes sense on so many levels. Even if the Cubs sign Price or Greinke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'd love the Markakis trade. I love the guy, but we have no business keeping him around - trade him and take the monetary gain.

The Freeman deal is frustrating because IF it was offered, it would be almost impossible to turn down. That is incredible talent that could help. I'm huge on Reed.

The Teheran deal is fair, no doubt. But, I love Julio and I believe he SHOULD be the anchor for a longtime moving forward. I trade Shelby first, personally.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Freeman trade would be tough but thats a hell of an offer.

I'd take the deal for Nick.

Meh on Julio deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Couple things

- Soler is a terrible defender. Strong possibility he is a DH by 30.
    - Mark Appel is all hype and no substance. If we trade for him I will just give up baseball because it means we have dip****s in the front office. The only reason he gets any hype anyways is because he is similar to Verlander at the same age but betting on that is like betting on the Washington Generals to beat the Globetrotters.
    - I am all for trading Markakis but I dont want the Braves paying a penny to him to play for another team unless we get a good return for him. 3y 33 mill is a bargain.
    - I think I have changed my mind on trading Teheran. I think he was just ****ing around this year because he knew we were going nowhere. Greinke did the same **** with the Royals. I think Julio is still good for around a 3.40 ERA give or take some based on luck.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Freeman trade would be tough but thats a hell of an offer.

I'd take the deal for Nick.

Meh on Julio deal.

the more I think about the Julio trade the more I warm up to it. I was completely wrong on Soler K'ing in the minors at 30%+.. more like 17%.. so his first cup of coffee in the bigs with his power... a 30% is not that alarming. Although Miller would bring back a better package and maybe rid us of Maybin as well.. (ok with this still).. I would be on board with Julio/Soler trade now.. but as stated.. I would be ok with Miller/Maybin for Soler + trade...maybe Caratini or Justin Steele

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Couple things
    - Mark Appel is all hype and no substance. If we trade for him I will just give up baseball because it means we have dip****s in the front office. The only reason he gets any hype anyways is because he is similar to Verlander at the same age but betting on that is like betting on the Washington Generals to beat the Globetrotters.
    not sure Appel is the headliner in this deal my friend. Reed and tucker are great prospects.