Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Market for McCann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

The Market for McCann

Saw this quote from Ruben Amaro Jr.

"Catching is going to a very big priority for us - maybe the biggest. There are some players out there. But there's not a lot of catching in the industry. It's going to be a tough decision for us. We might have to look to try to acquire it via trade. Or we could be looking right here at Chooch [Ruiz]."

Who else might be looking for the catcher? If he does leave, I imagine McCann will make it a high priority to go to a contending team.

I suspect the Phillies would not qualify as a contending team.

Would the Yankees? They probably will try to re-sign Cano first, but might make a splash elsewhere if they lose him.

The Rangers certainly would. There were the reports of them asking about McCann before the trade deadline.

The Red Sox would be a fit too. Saltalamacchia is going to be a free agent and Ross has been dealing with a concussion.

The Dodgers could look to upgrade the position. But Robinson Cano might be their main priority.

I have a feeling the team that makes the biggest offer for him will be the loser of the Dodgers-Yankees battle over Cano.

Anyone else that might be a serious competitor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    He will have to take a discount to stay here.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    He will have to take a discount to stay here.
    That's always been the case. That said I hope the Braves don't just let him leave without giving him a shot to stick around. Which I fear they may.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I hate it but I don't see the Braves bringing him back. I expect the Rangers to sign him to a long term deal. They have wanted Mac for a while now.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Yeah. I mean, look at the list nscapi posted, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Boston, New York, Texas, Philadelphia...that's pretty much a who's who list of big spenders. McCann's had a great season coming back from injury, and he's been as consistently excellent as they come. Brian's getting paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Yeah. I mean, look at the list nscapi posted, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Boston, New York, Texas, Philadelphia...that's pretty much a who's who list of big spenders. McCann's had a great season coming back from injury, and he's been as consistently excellent as they come. Brian's getting paid.
    Some on that list are more plausible than others. I don't see Brian going to Philly, partly because they are a divisional rival and partly because they are an old team in decline. The Yankees are even older and are also in decline. Not sure if Brian wants to go there. But they sure need a catcher.

The two other American League teams (Boston and Texas) make the most sense, partly because of the DH option. Both are well run organizations (with the notable exception of the Bobby Valentine hiccup). Contending teams. Good-sized payrolls. Boston did make a point of avoiding signings last off-season that would have cost them their #1 draft pick. That is becoming increasingly important to most teams. Texas probably is our #1 rival for holding on to Brian's services.

The Dodgers are a wild card. I think they will keep spending freely, but if they get Cano they might stop there.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-12-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    He better not go to Philly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    He'll go to the team that offers him the most money. Just hope it's not the phillies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I hate it but I don't see the Braves bringing him back. I expect the Rangers to sign him to a long term deal. They have wanted Mac for a while now.

I think this is the most likely case only if the Rangers don't acquire Stanton, which I think will eventually happen. At least, if this does happen, Mac will play for a team that I don't hate. And he will be able to improve his HOF status tremendously playing in that park.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Dont overlook Detroit. Especially if they make a long run in the post season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I think you can count the Phillies out because they need right handed bats. If McCann hit lefties better then it might make a little sense for them but they already have Utley/Howard/Brown/Revere hitting lefty and Cody Ashe who might be their 3B next year hits lefty too. The market as I see it.

Rangers - We know they are interested. They need a big bat and they dont have a single good lefty hitter on the team. I would expect them to be the favorites.
    Red Sox - Thanks to the Dodgers charity they have a lot of money to spend which likely wont be on Ellsbury.
    Yankees - They are in on every big free agent. Should they lose Cano I expect McCann to be a high priority for them. Should they sign him you can thank ARoid and Selig for the Yankees having the money to do it.
    Cubs - Darkhorse imo. They are going to have to start winning at some point. I think they will sign atleast 1 big free agent this offseason.

Tigers - Dont see it happening, too much money tied up and they will give a big extension to Scherzer. If it was after 2014 I could have seen them going after McCann.
    Dodgers - They have a decent hitting catcher who is also cheap. I expect them to go hard after Cano. Dont see them signing McCann.

By my estimation the Braves would be at around 90-95 million next year keeping the same team(this assumes Hudson re-signs)before re-signing McCann. However this next season every team is getting a 25 million boost in revenue from the new national TV contract. If just 15 million of that makes it to payroll they should be able to give him atleast what Yadi Molina got.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I think he comes back

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Tough decision for BMac. Be a Brave all your life with the hometown discount....or take this last real opportunity to have a big pay day. I'd love for him to stick around....but I wouldn't be mad at him if he left. I, too, hope the FO makes real effort to keep him around though.

High School Draftee kingphatcow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    i think we'll see the "Chipper Effect" - Mac, as a team leader, watched Chipper go out on top as a lifetime Brave. He'll want that too. The younger guys may be to young to be thinking Legacy yet, but Mac's getting to an age where he's thinking about how he'll be remembered. Unfortunately, if the Braves do sign him we'll see the "Dale Murphy Effect" where the team trades a loyal but declining player so that he can't retire from one team.
    Not as smart as Meta, but way smarter than Zito.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Im starting to get the feeling he will be back. However, I think if he does take the money, it will be to an AL team where he can DH some. I dont want to say that its a win win for us, but if he does return..awesome. If he doesnt...we have Gattis, Laird, Bethancourt and the cash we were going to pay Mac with.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TDlxANDER View Post
    Tough decision for BMac. Be a Brave all your life with the hometown discount....or take this last real opportunity to have a big pay day. I'd love for him to stick around....but I wouldn't be mad at him if he left. I, too, hope the FO makes real effort to keep him around though.
    Sorry, but he can live amazingly well for the rest of his life, and his childrens life even on what Atlanta would offer him...

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Sorry, but he can live amazingly well for the rest of his life, and his childrens life even on what Atlanta would offer him...
    It's never that simple. Everyone pretends it is but these guys are a commodity and they know that. If he wants to be valued to his full potential than he'll sign a higher deal. It has nothing to do with living his life, or having money for his kids. That's largely irrelevant, it honestly more often than not has to do with being valued as one of the top players in the game.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    That's always been the case. That said I hope the Braves don't just let him leave without giving him a shot to stick around. Which I fear they may.
    I think they'll make an offer to him. If he's looking for a big pay day he won't stay here. He'll have to give a big hometown discount and who knows he may do it. But I think the writing is on the wall for this one. He's had a great season coming back from injury and I think he'll get paid accordingly for it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Braves are in a tough spot. Lose McCann and you possibly add a blackhole to lineup (gattis/Bethancourt) to go along with Uggla, Simmons, Upton. Plus, you have to assume regression with Johnson. That leaves the everyday lineup as a huge question mark. Or you sign him and you worry about whether he can keep it up in the back half of his contract.

I say keep him because Texas and Philly are going to throw a **** ton of money his way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'd make go up to 16-17M/year for four years plus an option. If he cares about staying in Atlanta that should be good enough. There's always a chance some other team will blow that offer out of the water. We don't have to join them in the craziness.