Thread: Lol Bud Norris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    #Braves agree to terms with right-handed starting pitcher Bud Norris on a one-year Major League contract for the 2016 season.

---

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeymanCBS
    bud norris gets $2.5M on 1-year braves deal

---

Not really bad price, I suppose. Hopefully he can rebound from a ****eous year and be traded mid-season.
    What the hell cuss word is being censored here by the way?
    thank you weso1!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-28-2015), Metaphysicist (11-26-2015), Runnin (11-26-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    What the hell cuss word is being censored here by the way?
    I was wondering this. ****eous? ****eous? Some new adjective, I reckon.

By the way, the move sucks hairy ***, but I understand it. And Bud the Stud was about as good in '14 as he was bad in '15. Even/especially in Camden Yards. If I'd written the deal, I'd've included an option for '17 so I could keep or trade that in case he makes it back.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Dude has been good for 150-170 innings with a 1.5-2.0 WAR like every year of his career but last year. No drop in velocity or anything. Sounds like a pretty solid bet to be an average innings eating veteran. Wise use of money really, regardless of contention.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Dude has been good for 150-170 innings with a 1.5-2.0 WAR like every year of his career but last year. No drop in velocity or anything. Sounds like a pretty solid bet to be an average innings eating veteran. Wise use of money really, regardless of contention.
    Shhhh....that might be construed as support. I think it's a stab but there were worse options.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This signing in no way, shape, or form sets the Braves up to trade Miller or Teheran. One more MOR guy will have to be signed if either of those guys is traded.
    Hence the signing, and likely one or two more - somebody has to be the first one. Inexpensive MOR innings-eaters in the event that the young guys don't prove ready prior to one or both of them being traded.

The ideal scenario would be that Folty somehow developed command, Banuelos stayed healthy, and that Jenkins, Newcomb, and Sims took that final step by the time those guys were dealt. However, it would be ridiculous to expect all those things to happen and that you could finish the season with a rotation made up of some combination of Newcomb, Folty, Banuelos, Wisler, Sims, Jenkins, Perez, or Weber. It would be great if that happened, but to this point the only one of those to have demonstrated he's capable of making the necessary adjustments to remain in a rotation at this level is Wisler. They're probably OK with Perez and Weber taking their lumps since they don't appear to be long-term pieces, but that only gives you three starters.

Coppy's statement that they're not going to "tank" signals (to me, at least) that they're still going to make everyone earn their spots in the rotation rather than just help fill it out because they don't want to spend money. Folty will have to locate better. Banuelos will have to stay healthy. That's just to knock Perez and Weber out of the rotation right now. Norris adds another hurdle for them.

The most ideal signing targets IMO were Colon and Latos. It still makes sense to sign at least one more veteran, even if it's not one of them. The fact that Norris was willing to sign this early for this cheap likely surprised the brass, so they pounced to leave them more funds available for other things. Latos would provide the upside (and potential trade value) signing. I'm just really partial to Colon because I think he'd be perfect for all the young guys to watch every time he goes out there - he's by far the best example of how important locating your fastball is to success. If Miller could command his as well, he could be an "Ace", and Folty would benefit substantially from watching him. They all would, but those are the two that would probably benefit the most.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I would rather tender Mike Minor a contract. Unfortunately, I think the two are mutually exclusive.
    I can instantly think of 3.1 million reasons signing Norris would be a better use of resources than giving Minor a contract. The last update I noticed was that he still hadn't progressed far enough to throw off a mound yet.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Good chance the Norris signing means Minor is non-tendered.

Going into the off-season I thought the plan was for a 2016 starting rotation of Teheran, Miller, Wisler, Minor and mid-level FA, with a bunch of near-major league ready guys in the AAA rotation (Perez, Folty, Weber, Jenkins, Gant). I think we'll still sign another more expensive FA starting pitcher. Hence my assumption that Norris is replacing Minor in our 2016 plans.

Btw I like the depth we have in AAA. Sometimes a team will have some AAAA type guys in the AAA rotation. It is better to have a younger group with some upside like we will. And having five of them plus quite a few more in AA means we should have some decent replacements to turn to once the inevitable injuries/loss of effectiveness hits some of the major league guys.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I would rather tender Mike Minor a contract. Unfortunately, I think the two are mutually exclusive.
    Yes, let's tender a guy who had shoulder surgery that few ever come back successfully from instead of signing a guy who's likely to revert back to a 1-2 WAR middle of the rotation starter for peanuts... brilliant...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2015), JohnAdcox (11-27-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yes, let's tender a guy who had shoulder surgery that few ever come back successfully from instead of signing a guy who's likely to revert back to a 1-2 WAR middle of the rotation starter for peanuts... brilliant...
    Dem be some expensive peanuts derr bossman.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2015), JohnAdcox (11-27-2015), zbhargrove (11-26-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    This signing in no way, shape, or form sets the Braves up to trade Miller or Teheran. One more MOR guy will have to be signed if either of those guys is traded.
    And I said in my post I think they will get someone without a qo but requires more than 1 yr deal. Someone they see mentoring young guys for a couple hrs.

Bud gets traded if he's any good and we bring up Newcombe, Jenkins, sims etc to get them ready for the magic of 17

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    I honestly do not care. If he makes pitch and gets us a decent return at the deadline then fine.

In the meantime we will have a veteran pitcher to go along the veteran everyday men teaching the young guys how to lose right.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I was wondering this. ****eous? ****eous? Some new adjective, I reckon.

By the way, the move sucks hairy ***, but I understand it. And Bud the Stud was about as good in '14 as he was bad in '15. Even/especially in Camden Yards. If I'd written the deal, I'd've included an option for '17 so I could keep or trade that in case he makes it back.
    "Wreneous"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-28-2015), GovClintonTyree (11-27-2015), Hawk (11-27-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I don't think they'll sign another starter unless Miller is traded (I don't think they will sell low on Teheran). They are probably comfortable with a top 4 of Miller, Teheran, Norris and Wisler. A 5th guy isn't needed much in the first month of the season, and they will probably start the year giving those starts to Perez. After the first month or so they will start giving chances to guys like Folty and ManBan if they have made progress in AAA.

If we see the Braves sign a starter to a 3+ year deal we can probably expect a Miller trade immediately afterwards.

I would still like to see them take a buy low chance on Latos though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-27-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hence the signing, and likely one or two more - somebody has to be the first one. Inexpensive MOR innings-eaters in the event that the young guys don't prove ready prior to one or both of them being traded.

The ideal scenario would be that Folty somehow developed command, Banuelos stayed healthy, and that Jenkins, Newcomb, and Sims took that final step by the time those guys were dealt. However, it would be ridiculous to expect all those things to happen and that you could finish the season with a rotation made up of some combination of Newcomb, Folty, Banuelos, Wisler, Sims, Jenkins, Perez, or Weber. It would be great if that happened, but to this point the only one of those to have demonstrated he's capable of making the necessary adjustments to remain in a rotation at this level is Wisler. They're probably OK with Perez and Weber taking their lumps since they don't appear to be long-term pieces, but that only gives you three starters.

Coppy's statement that they're not going to "tank" signals (to me, at least) that they're still going to make everyone earn their spots in the rotation rather than just help fill it out because they don't want to spend money. Folty will have to locate better. Banuelos will have to stay healthy. That's just to knock Perez and Weber out of the rotation right now. Norris adds another hurdle for them.

The most ideal signing targets IMO were Colon and Latos. It still makes sense to sign at least one more veteran, even if it's not one of them. The fact that Norris was willing to sign this early for this cheap likely surprised the brass, so they pounced to leave them more funds available for other things. Latos would provide the upside (and potential trade value) signing. I'm just really partial to Colon because I think he'd be perfect for all the young guys to watch every time he goes out there - he's by far the best example of how important locating your fastball is to success. If Miller could command his as well, he could be an "Ace", and Folty would benefit substantially from watching him. They all would, but those are the two that would probably benefit the most.
    I would like to see them take a look at Fister as well.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I do think Miller will be traded soon cause if this signing. We're in the sell high mode. Norris was adamant about being a starter to the point of being an a$$ hole about it. To get him for 2.5m we promised him what he wants, which is a rotation spot. On the bright side he has a football competitiveness, so he's likely to have that bounce back year to get paid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I do think Miller will be traded soon cause if this signing. We're in the sell high mode. Norris was adamant about being a starter to the point of being an a$$ hole about it. To get him for 2.5m we promised him what he wants, which is a rotation spot. On the bright side he has a football competitiveness, so he's likely to have that bounce back year to get paid.
    So you're saying they couldn't promise Norris a slot in the rotation without trading Miller? Because the Braves have so many quality options for the rotation?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    So you're saying they couldn't promise Norris a slot in the rotation without trading Miller? Because the Braves have so many quality options for the rotation?
    Of course not

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I will say this. I like Norris at $2.5m better than JA Happ at 3/$36m. Holy crap.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-28-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I will say this. I like Norris at $2.5m better than JA Happ at 3/$36m. Holy crap.
    It's a solid reminder of the faint wisdom of aquiring 30 starting pitcher prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well, that's just like your opinion, man.