Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brett Lawrie

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Brett Lawrie

FWIW seems imminently available. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up to get him, but would assume most would consider him an upgrade over Garcia at 3B (if only defensively).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    FWIW seems imminently available. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up to get him, but would assume most would consider him an upgrade over Garcia at 3B (if only defensively).
    So the Braves are going to suddenly start worrying about their infield defense?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    not sure about Lawrie. Probably would have to give too much up for not much more production or projected production. I would just call this next season a waste and see if Adonis can build value to be traded or build value to keep...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-27-2015), Horsehide Harry (11-28-2015), JohnAdcox (11-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd check and see. Bean would probably try to make someone over pay since he was the centerpiece of the Donaldson trade. The price shouldn't be to high though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I think this would be a solid target. Young, upside plus could play 2B or 3B. Even though he's a FA after 2017, I would be careful about what I would give up given where we are at in the rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    He is an average hitter that plays average defense at 3b or 2b. Since he's young there is definitely room for more upside. He would be about a 2 win improvement over Garcia. He is only controlled for 2 more seasons.

Having said that, he isn't a long term solution, nor is he an impact solution. I don't think the Braves are currently in a position to trade away assets for marginal upgrades that are only controlled for 2 more years. Any position players they acquire need to have at least 3 years, and preferably 4 or more years of control left.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-27-2015), jpx7 (11-28-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He is an average hitter that plays average defense at 3b or 2b. Since he's young there is definitely room for more upside. He would be about a 2 win improvement over Garcia. He is only controlled for 2 more seasons.

Having said that, he isn't a long term solution, nor is he an impact solution. I don't think the Braves are currently in a position to trade away assets for marginal upgrades that are only controlled for 2 more years. Any position players they acquire need to have at least 3 years, and preferably 4 or more years of control left.

Exactly the reason I mentioned I'm unsure what I'd be willing to give up to get him. Really only mentioned him since we were mentioned as a potential "fit". Nothing of value to us (obviously given the timeline and lack of extended control), but I'm sure Beane would love to dump his salary. However, if you could land him for a couple of pieces with no long-term value to us (say two of Camargo/Jordan Edgerton and Steve Janas/Wes Parsons), I could at least see the line of thinking. He'd be an inexpensive (and young) upgrade to the MLB roster for the next couple of seasons that would fall in line with the "we're going to be better than we were in 2015" mantra. If the light suddenly came on and he played well enough to make you at least think about keeping him in the event Garcia regresses or Ruiz doesn't take the next step, what have you lost?

Low-risk, moderate-reward kind of player that might fit as a stopgap.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Yes, it would all depend on the price to acquire him. I imagine a few contenders would be willing to pay a lot more than the Braves should be willing to offer.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-27-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know if we should trade for him or not, but I think he's one of the most overrated players in the game.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Yes yes yes. He's exactly the type of guy we should be targeting and fills a black hole for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Yes yes yes. He's exactly the type of guy we should be targeting and fills a black hole for us.
    Why? Is it the mediocrity that attracts you? Another guy somehow still making a living off of his prospect status years later.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Why? Is it the mediocrity that attracts you? Another guy somehow still making a living off of his prospect status years later.
    Because when you're in a rebuild like we are he is exactly the type of player we should be bringing in. He's a huge talent but clearly hasn't put it together yet. But he's only 25 and made some strides last year. So yes, the mediocrity of a 25 year old very talented player with big upside is the type of guy we should take a shot on. Not wasting a position on a guy like Adonis Garcia. If he doesn't work out who cares....I'd always rather take a shot on a guy like him when our team's garbage and hopefully hit it big

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Because when you're in a rebuild like we are he is exactly the type of player we should be bringing in. He's a huge talent but clearly hasn't put it together yet. But he's only 25 and made some strides last year. So yes, the mediocrity of a 25 year old very talented player with big upside is the type of guy we should take a shot on. Not wasting a position on a guy like Adonis Garcia. If he doesn't work out who cares....I'd always rather take a shot on a guy like him when our team's garbage and hopefully hit it big

That's fine when it only costs money or 2nd tier prospects to acquire. But it's doubtful Oakland just gives him away. And trading away valuable prospects for an underachieving player with only 2 years of control isn't very smart for a rebuilding team.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-28-2015 at 08:38 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-28-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That's fine when it only costs money or 2nd tier prospects to acquire. But it's doubtful Oakland just gives him away. And trading away valuable prospects for a underachieving player with only 2 years of control isn't very smart for a rebuilding team.
    Exactly. Just say no to Lawrie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I agree that if the cost is reasonable he's a good gamble. However, if Oakland wants someone like Sims, then I hang up.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-28-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The same could have been said about Francoeur and most everyone in here was ready to chase him out of town the day after he arrived in Atlanta.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It depends on what the A's are looking for in return, but we seem to be going after upside players right now. He does seem to fit with recent moves.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-28-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    First, he did not make any strides last year. He has regressed each of the last 3 years and had an OBP under .300 last year.

Second, he's not a 'huge' talent. He's a good talent, but he was never even a top-30 prospect. A lot of his initial value was in his very good defense, but the last 3 years he's basically been average defensively. That's not a good sign for a guy at 23-25. He will hit for a low average, won't walk much, and has decent power...all while playing average defense. No thanks.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned his well-documented attitude issues. His temperament would seem to clash with 'The Braves Way ™'.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Spoiler alert: We don't really give a **** about "The Braves Way" at this point.