Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Miller market 'hot'

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    All things considered, Seager's value is at a unique apex right now. Don't think the Dodgers aren't aware.
    But it's not.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Agreed!! This bunch who are running things now may turn out to be the best ever but so far IMO they haven't proven squat except they can get rid of big contracts. That's an OK and sometimes necessary skill but until the prospects they/we got back start to really pan out I remain unimpressed. If they do wind up great acquisitions then noone here will be happier about it than I, but that day ain't here yet.
    No, of course not, because they're still prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It doesn't matter what YOU would do. It's all about what a potentially desperate Dodgers teams would do.
    Call me when they're "desperate" - especially on December 1st.

Given the fact that their front office is as creative as any out there, does anyone really believe that they think the sun sets with Shelby Miller and that they can't find a way to trade for another similar (or better) Pitcher without giving up Seager? Seriously? The same people here that thought four years of Miller was a *hitty return for one year of Jason Heyward now think three years of him would be a fair return for Corey Seager?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No, of course not, because they're still prospects.
    Your point?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    But it's not.
    Yes, it is.

Note that I said, "at a unique apex" . . . not "at an apex".

The prospect knob-slob in this thread is fascinating and, unfortunately, predictable.

Anybody remember Jurickson Profar?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Oklahomahawk (12-01-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Absolutely from the Braves' perspective. I have no idea why they'd want it.

The Dodgers can buy anyone they want. Seager will be their SS on Opening Day, and there are no better options out there - including Ian Desmond. Why would you trade an All-Star caliber SS that's ready now to get Miller and a SS who's 2-3 years away, especially when you're trying to win now? Even if they don't get one of the "Aces", they're not going into the season without landing at least one (and maybe two) high-level SPs. I was one of Shelby's biggest supporters when we got him and still am, so don't misunderstand and think I'd sell short on him, but the numbers many of our more statistically-oriented posters have thrown out don't lie. He's not an "Ace". Seager's not the only prospect other GMs would be crazy to give up to get him without getting other significant pieces as well. I could probably come up with 10 or more young players/prospects I wouldn't give up to get Shelby...

Mookie Betts
    Seager
    Urias
    Byron Buxton
    Lucas Giolito
    J. P. Crawford
    Tyler Glasnow
    Moncada
    Austin Meadows

Depending on the situation, I wouldn't give up Rafael Devers or Nomar Mazara for him, but I could imagine things shaking out where Boston or Texas could be persuaded to.

Los Angeles would still be a much better team if they kept Seager and signed one of those next-tier free-agent Pitchers - Samardzija, Ian Kennedy, John Lackey, Hisashi Iwakuma, or Mike Leake (and/or potentially using those lesser prospects to trade for an additional starter) than they would be if they traded Seager for any of the Pitchers that have been whispered to be "available" in trades not named Jose Fernandez.

I have said there is no chance Seager for Miller would happen. I know that.. even in desperation, the Dodgers are not fools.. But as time ticks and FA get signed their desperation will grow. I said they may relax more on Pederson or Urais. personally would prefer Joc.. But only time will tell.. if they get Price or Zack, then I don't think they make a good trade partner. If the best they get is Shark, then I laugh if they think they can compete with Kershaw/Anderson/wood/shark/??? rotation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Yes, it is.

The prospect knob-slob in this thread is fascinating and, unfortunately, predictable.

You mean the guy whose shoulder is just now healed?

How can you defend Heyward for getting hurt all the time and then ding a prospect for it?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Your point?
    You agreed we should be prepared to be disappointed because none of the guys we've traded for have proven themselves yet...but they're prospects still, so of course they haven't proven themselves. Why would that be a reason to be disappointed? If they had all had bad years and regressed as prospects, that's one thing. But that's not what has happened here.

Most of baseball has believed we've gotten the better end of just about every deal we've made so far. Yet we have fans who think these trades are all terrible.

It's exactly why I'm trying to prepare people for the reality that guys like Seager and Urias are untouchable, especially for a guy like Miller. When you don't have a realistic view of the situation, you end up with conclusions that are off-base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I believe Austin Meadows would be available. Especially with how crowded the Pirates outfield is. I'd be more inclined to trade Teheran for him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (12-01-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yes, it is.

Then what in the world does 'unique apex' mean? Because his value could easily increase from where it is now. I get that there's a chance he could also regress, but that is not an apex under any circumstances.

And I haven't made an evaluation on Seager; I'm just telling you that the Dodgers aren't going to deal him. Because they're not. Again, you can call them stupid for that if you want, but it's reality.

Top prospects sometimes bust (though much more rarely than guys below them), but they also sometimes become complete beasts. Hardly any team is ever going to give up a potential beast before they're more sure of what they have, and while his value is still somewhat held back.

If a team just kept trading its top prospects because they were at a 'unique apex' and there was a chance they might bust, that team would end up terrible pretty quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Then what in the world does 'unique apex' mean? Because his value could easily increase from where it is now. I get that there's a chance he could also regress, but that is not an apex under any circumstances.

And I haven't made an evaluation on Seager; I'm just telling you that the Dodgers aren't going to deal him. Because they're not. Again, you can call them stupid for that if you want, but it's reality.

Top prospects sometimes bust (though much more rarely than guys below them), but they also sometimes become complete beasts. Hardly any team is ever going to give up a potential beast before they're more sure of what they have.
    This is pretty accurate. No one wants to be the Atlanta Falcons who traded Brett Favre.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    It's fine to dream on Seager but you all need to realize there is zero chance the Dodgers or any team would trade him for Shelby Miller. And that's not even close to a knock on Shelby.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-01-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I believe Austin Meadows would be available. Especially with how crowded the Pirates outfield is. I'd be more inclined to trade Teheran for him.
    Meadows would be a great target.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    It's fine to dream on Seager but you all need to realize there is zero chance the Dodgers or any team would trade him for Shelby Miller. And that's not even close to a knock on Shelby.
    can I still dream on Joc.. that didn't sound right as I was reading it back aloud..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Meadows would be a great target.
    I've always like Meadows. Cf'er with pop. Sounds like another guy we're targeting from the LAD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    Yes, it is.

Well Seager has had major league success... Profar hasn't... so there's that...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Starling Marte would be a good get as would Gregory Polanco.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well Seager has had major league success... Profar hasn't... so there's that...
    98 ABs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,375 Posts
    98 ABs.
    Meh...That is all it took to say Hector is a flop..

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-01-2015), zedsdead (12-01-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Meh...That is all it took to say Hector is a flop..
    But...but...but...
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?