Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid To Pray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Paid To Pray

The level of arrogance and patronizing condescension shown by weapons defenders is appalling.
    Somehow or other when people invoke the notion of prayer -- they seem to get a free pass.

" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...dffa0?c6zs38fr

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) has accepted more than $1.3 million from gun rights groups -- a sum the Sunlight Foundation notes is "far more than any other member of Wisconsin's congressional delegation." Johnson holds an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for opposing gun control measures, including a proposed ban on ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 bullets.

Johnson on Wednesday sent "thoughts and prayers" to California.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Guys. No one is seriously saying don’t pray. Pray all you want! But if that is your only response to yet another mass shooting, in an America in which there is more than one mass shooting per day, then you deserve to be criticized and mocked. If praying is a substitute for doing and you are a politician whose job is to do things to make this country better, we have a problem.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015...haming-a-thing

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Guys. No one is seriously saying don’t pray. Pray all you want! But if that is your only response to yet another mass shooting, in an America in which there is more than one mass shooting per day, then you deserve to be criticized and mocked. If praying is a substitute for doing and you are a politician whose job is to do things to make this country better, we have a problem.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015...haming-a-thing
    You're kind of being told not to pray when you immediately get publicly shamed when yous imply say "prayers to the families" (although I don't know why everyone feels the need to socialize their sympathy...)

You keep saying you dont support banning guns... I think that is all that could have stopped something like this. Like I said, they guy who bought the guns had 0 criminal record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I don't support banning guns. I do support heavily regulating the manufacturing of weapons. And further regulating their retail availability. Making them scarce at the source and the ones that do make circulation more expensive to obtain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're kind of being told not to pray when you immediately get publicly shamed when yous imply say "prayers to the families" (although I don't know why everyone feels the need to socialize their sympathy...)

You keep saying you dont support banning guns... I think that is all that could have stopped something like this. Like I said, they guy who bought the guns had 0 criminal record.
    People can pray all they want. But using prayer as a substitute or cynically using it as a get out of jail free card is about as low as it gets. Sure, pray all you like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    People can pray all they want. But using prayer as a substitute or cynically using it as a get out of jail free card is about as low as it gets. Sure, pray all you like
    I better not pray or else I'll have a major magazine try to humiliate me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I once frequented a place where this piece hung on the wall

" What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works."

So yeah feel free to pray all you like -- but at some point you (royal you ) gotta put your money where your mouth is
    or like the saying goes, "dead"
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I find it repulsive when politicians insincerely trot out prayer as a way of pandering to religious people. Prayer is not a political tool.

Sometimes, prayer is all you can do. However, when you've been given power to make a difference, at some point maybe you need to realize you're the answer to your own prayer.

That being said, I wish people would quit politicizing mass shootings to support their own political agenda and start actually discussing things that will make a difference while simultaneously preserving our freedom.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    when you've been given power to make a difference, at some point maybe you need to realize you're the answer to your own prayer.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I find it repulsive when politicians insincerely trot out prayer as a way of pandering to religious people. Prayer is not a political tool.

Sometimes, prayer is all you can do. However, when you've been given power to make a difference, at some point maybe you need to realize you're the answer to your own prayer.

That being said, I wish people would quit politicizing mass shootings to support their own political agenda and start actually discussing things that will make a difference while simultaneously preserving our freedom.
    No one has come up with a sensible solution to this.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

MrShwag (12-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

I wish people would quit politicizing mass shootings to support their own political agenda .
    I hear this every time there is a mass shooting and wonder,

What does this mean ?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

What does this mean ?
    When people have a political agenda and want to cause panic. Like when people say there have been "355 mass shootings" in the US this year. This is only stated after a mass shooting within a workplace/school/theater, etc. The 355 number includes gang shootings (which no one cares about) and domestic issues. These "mass shooting" numbers also include instances when there is a driveby and no one gets injured.

Maybe next time there is a gang shooting, someone should post "356 mass shootings this year"
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    The war on prayer.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrShwag For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-05-2015), mossy (12-03-2015)

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Prayer is as useful as tits on a bull.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I'm praying for you tonight Larry.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-05-2015), Runnin (12-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    When people have a political agenda and want to cause panic. Like when people say there have been "355 mass shootings" in the US this year. This is only stated after a mass shooting within a workplace/school/theater, etc. The 355 number includes gang shootings (which no one cares about) and domestic issues. These "mass shooting" numbers also include instances when there is a driveby and no one gets injured.

Maybe next time there is a gang shooting, someone should post "356 mass shootings this year"
    Mass Shooting Tracker's definition of a mass shooting is so broad that it included a BB gun attack by two children which resulted in no serious injuries in its data set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    LINK: We’ve had a massive decline in gun violence in the United States. Here’s why.

Premeditated mass shootings in public places are happening more often, some researchers say, plunging towns and cities into grief and riveting the attention of a horrified nation. In general, though, fewer Americans are dying as a result of gun violence — a shift that began about two decades ago.

In 1993, there were seven homicides by firearm for every 100,000 Americans, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By 2013, that figure had fallen by nearly half, to 3.6 — a total of 11,208 firearm homicides. The number of victims of crimes involving guns that did not result in death (such as robberies) declined even more precipitously, from 725 per 100,000 people in 1993 to 175 in 2013.

Older data suggests that gun violence might have been even more widespread previously. The rate of murder and manslaughter excluding negligence reached an apex in 1980, according to the FBI. That year, there were 10.8 willful killings per 100,000 people. Although not a perfect measure of the overall rate of gun violence, the decline in the rate of murder and manslaughter is suggestive: Two in three homicides these days are committed with guns.

This decline in gun violence is part of an overall decline in violent crime. According to the FBI's data, the national rate of violent crime has decreased 49 percent since its apex in 1991. Even as a certain type of mass shooting is apparently becoming more frequent, America has become a much less violent place.

Much of the decline in violence is still unexplained, but researchers have identified several reasons for the shift. Here are five.
    The reasons are in the article... they attribute it to more police, more technology, less alcohol, and a better economy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

What does this mean ?
    For me, this means latching onto a tragedy like this to push a something you wanted to get accomplished all along.

Democrats use it to push gun control issues whether or not the program's they're pushing will help or not.

Republicans push concealed carry as a preventive with the same disregard for the effectiveness of it.

Instead of adapting the problem to your preconceived solution, the solution needs to fit the problem. Look for the failure points in the system and what can be done to fix them.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    LINK: We’ve had a massive decline in gun violence in the United States. Here’s why.

The reasons are in the article... they attribute it to more police, more technology, less alcohol, and a better economy
    Probably greater density of population as well. More people leaving rural America for the suburbs and exurbs. Not saying that is good in and of itself, but it may lessen violent crime because of greater police presence as sturg33 pointed out. Easier to commit violent crime when the County Sheriff is a half hour away.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I don't know if it's useless, but if it was foolproof, there'd be a lot more Xbox's under the Christmas tree.