2,469 Posts

Climate change article

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Dunno, didn't read; too many big words for me. I'm doing my part. I went vegan and I'm not looking back. I think anyone that wants to complain about global warming needs to no longer support the livestock industry otherwise they're a hypocrite.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShwag View Post
    Dunno, didn't read; too many big words for me. I'm doing my part. I went vegan and I'm not looking back. I think anyone that wants to complain about global warming needs to no longer support the livestock industry otherwise they're a hypocrite.
    Well I think we all need to look at things that can lead to reducing our impact.

The primary discussion (IMO) is should we treat this as a true crisis similar to the Space Race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    James Lovelock: 'enjoy life while you can: in 20 years global warming will hit the fan'

"The sustainability brigade are insane to think we can save ourselves by going back to nature; our only chance of survival will come not from less technology, but more.

Nuclear power, he argues, can solve our energy problem - the bigger challenge will be food. "Maybe they'll synthesise food. I don't know. Synthesising food is not some mad visionary idea; you can buy it in Tesco's, in the form of Quorn. It's not that good, but people buy it. You can live on it." But he fears we won't invent the necessary technologies in time, and expects "about 80%" of the world's population to be wiped out by 2100."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Yeah, Nuclear is IMO the way to go. There's still flaws to it and we should utilize other forms of energy used as well. Nuclear energy and EVs would wipe out a healthy chunk of our fossil fuel and coal reliance.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yeah, Nuclear is IMO the way to go. There's still flaws to it and we should utilize other forms of energy used as well. Nuclear energy and EVs would wipe out a healthy chunk of our fossil fuel and coal reliance.
    Share with the board how much nuclear waste is generated by using nuclear as the power to replace oil and coal as primary energy source. 65-70% of the electricity in this country is generated by coal fire power plants. Where will you dispose of thids nuclear waste? Plug in cars are coal powered cars. Solar as the future is as big a fraud as AGW. Zito you could try to stop posting on message boards and turn off the computer to reduce your impact! Just a thought.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I was at Vegas for the CES conference... and I was stunned about how many people were talking about how the warm weather in their region was proof climate change is a major issue.

Now they may be right, but I suspect those are the same people who mocked folks for saying that cold weather was proof that climate change isn't real.

Can't have it both way folks

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I was at Vegas for the CES conference... and I was stunned about how many people were talking about how the warm weather in their region was proof climate change is a major issue.

Now they may be right, but I suspect those are the same people who mocked folks for saying that cold weather was proof that climate change isn't real.

Can't have it both way folks
    Those people—on both sides—just don't understand sample-size, and thus scientific methodology. But those folks' misapprehension doesn't obviate the actual data; and while wacky weather, year to year, is hardly new, the amount of human-generated emissions (and not just from new industry, but—as mentioned up-thread—new scale to old industries like animal husbandry) is unprecedented and problematic.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."