Thread: Government Nannies Targeting Microbrewery Industry

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Government Nannies Targeting Microbrewery Industry

If this isn't enough to stop you from voting D, then I don't know what will be enough. Link

Government health nannies are thirsty for a new target, and this time it’s craft beer.

FDA busybodies will mandate by next December that restaurant chains offer full nutritional information for beers on tap — everything from calorie counts to protein content. The rule forces breweries to do expensive tests to keep their suds flowing at places like Applebee’s or TGI Friday’s.

Such lab work costs more than $600 per brew and takes weeks. Big manufacturers like Bud can absorb the expense and delays, but the city’s 30 small craft brewers will be hit hard.

Many of these local artisanal brewers make dozens of different styles of beer, many of them seasonal — and each variety would require the costly, time-consuming analysis. Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn, for example, lists 42 brews on its Web site.

“It’s a big problem going forward,” said Dave Lopez of Gun Hill Brewing in The Bronx. “The only way it’s feasible is to limit what is available to consumers.”

Paul Leone of the New York State Brewers Association said, “There’s no way they could afford to test every one of those brews.”

Local craft brewing is a burgeoning, $3.5 billion industry in New York state, but the increasing burden of federal rules could strangle the business in its cradle, brewers say.

“It’s ironic because the state has done so much to promote local brands,” said Lopez, including a 2014 law that loosened restrictions on small New York brewers.

For Staten Island’s Flagship Brewery, getting its brews on tap at chain restaurants like Red Robin has been a key part of the business plan. “Local people who don’t know about us are finding us there,” said co-owner Jay Sykes.

Customers sampling brews in the Flagship taproom scoffed at the coming rules.

“It’s ridiculous, just government baloney,” said Matt DuPre of Brooklyn. “With this beer, you don’t care about the calories. You care about the process and the craft.”

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Betcha Big Beer owns themselves some politicians and bureaucrats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Betcha Big Beer owns themselves some politicians and bureaucrats.
    I bet they are the ones behind this. Put competitors out of buisness and makes it near impossible for micro breweries to be profitable. The health **** is just the cover for which to sell it to jackasses who think this has anything to do with health.

Personally I think we should just make alcohol illegal. I don't like to drink therefore other people should be imprisoned for doing it. Tobacco too. That's how this works right?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    What's the difference between the GMO corporations like Monsanto who tried to tie themselves to legalizing pot in Ohio and this? I'm just glad none of them have a monopoly on toilets in this country or else none of us could even go to the bathroom without paying them first.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I've got a friend who is part owner in a great new microbrewery. Our area has four new microbreweries and numerous specialty tap houses and this frickin gov't wants to destroy it all I suppose. Can't see this going over really well.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Eff big beer !

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I've got a friend who is part owner in a great new microbrewery. Our area has four new microbreweries and numerous specialty tap houses and this frickin gov't wants to destroy it all I suppose. Can't see this going over really well.
    Isn't this all just another corporate greed being out of control story? Whether it be pot or microbreweries, or whatever. It's not like big corporations don't already control enough of this country. Somebody needs to stand up to them once and for all. Like Ron Paul said a few years back, corporate fascism. He wasn't exactly talking about the same particular subjects we're talking about, but to me the principal of what he said was and is spot on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    It's that and the Nanny-State ("We know better than you do, you fat slob!"). GovCo at it's worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    It's that and the Nanny-State ("We know better than you do, you fat slob!"). GovCo at it's worst.
    It's big beer and their lobbyists finding a way to protect itself.

If you need to know the calorie and protein count of beer, you don't need to be drinking it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-06-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Zito and Goldfly will be PISSED.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    There's a way you can do this to handle the health conscious shenanigans. Is to allow a loose nutritional calorie estimate.

Give a free tool to brewers, input OG and FG and it tells you the calories. It's not a science, but it's pretty damned close.

THough I'm personally not a fan. FDA needs to be nuked and start over again. Instead of worrying about real food safety, they are up their asses to justify their budget
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Zito and Goldfly will be PISSED.
    I have been pissed for a long time that big business controls our govt
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"