Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Shelby to AZ for E. Inciarte, A. Blair, and Dansby Swanson

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Is Samardzija a bad 3rd pitcher? Is Peavy/Cain bad options for 4/5th starter? What about Heston as backup?

"The bullpen is unimpressive." How so? Castila/Romo/Strickland is pretty damn nice.

The OF will start either Pagan or Blanco because Pence/Span are the other 2 starters.
    1. Yes, yes and yes. They suck. They didn't always suck. They do now.

2. Strickland was a gasoline fire in the playoffs. He was throwing BP. Every time I see Casilla, he's shaky. So yeah, I'm saying unimpressive.

3. My bad. I forgot they signed Span. A good signing.

They're very solid as a hitting club, no question. I do not like their pitching past Bumgarner and Cueto. Though that's a deluxe 1-2, I agree. In the day, I loved Cain and I really loved Peavy. They just don't have it anymore. As for Samardzija, take a hard look at his career numbers and tell me he deserves to be mentioned in the same tier with Cueto and some of the other guys who got upper teens money. I just absolutely don't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

2. Strickland was a gasoline fire in the playoffs. He was throwing BP. Every time I see Casilla, he's shaky. So yeah, I'm saying unimpressive.

They're very solid as a hitting club, no question. I do not like their pitching past Bumgarner and Cueto. Though that's a deluxe 1-2, I agree. In the day, I loved Cain and I really loved Peavy. They just don't have it anymore. As for Samardzija, take a hard look at his career numbers and tell me he deserves to be mentioned in the same tier with Cueto and some of the other guys who got upper teens money. I just absolutely don't see it.
    I don't understand the love affair with Smardzija but I sometimes find myself with it as well. He can be excellent one start and flat-out BS the next. 47-61 with a 4.09 ERA for his career is pretty damn bad, though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (02-18-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Shark is projected to throw 195 IP with a 3.4 ERA. Teams would die for that as a 3.
    PEavy 153 IP at 3.75 ERA
    Cain 130 IP at 3.9 ERA (might be rich, but have Heston as backup)

Strickland didn't even pitch in the playoffs last year. He did the year before and Harper took him deep. I'm not sure why you would ignore 2015 bc of a 5 game playoff series.

Every time you watch Castilla, he's shaky. Well, there you go. SOlved.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Shark is projected to throw 195 IP with a 3.4 ERA. Teams would die for that as a 3.
    PEavy 153 IP at 3.75 ERA

Strickland didn't even pitch in the playoffs last year. He did the year before and Harper took him deep. I'm not sure why you would ignore 2015 bc of a 5 game playoff series.

Those projections are utter crap. It's ok, we disagree. That's why they play the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    PEavy 153 IP at 3.75 ERA

This is where you tell my observations are completely subjective and your made-up 2016 numbers are more objective, right?

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    This is where you tell my observations are completely subjective and your made-up 2016 numbers are more objective, right?
    I got you.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE YOU'RE WRONG RABBLE PROJECTIONS RABBLE!

There. Covered our bases.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-20-2016), GovClintonTyree (02-18-2016), JohnAdcox (02-18-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Well one is grounded in statistical analysis and the other is... Well, like your opinion, man.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (02-18-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Well one is grounded in statistical analysis and the other is... Well, like your opinion, man.
    So a guy with a 4.97 ERA who gives up a league leading 29 bombs and a league-leading 228 hits, a career ERA north of four projects to a 3.4 ERA because of statistical analysis?

I have a head analyst at work who tells me she can make numbers say anything she wants them to say.

I do look at stats but I don't only look at stats and I try to think critically about them rather than taking them at face value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Let me ax you a question. Do you agree with this statistical analysis that projects that Samardzija, Cain and Peavy will all finish with sub-4.00 ERAs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    PEavy 153 IP at 3.75 ERA

I just looked it up. Strickland gave up 6 homers in 8.1 innings in the 2014 playoffs. Six.

You can make your numbers say whatever you want. But yeah, I think that matters and is part of why I think that bullpen is sketchy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    So a guy with a 4.97 ERA who gives up a league leading 29 bombs and a league-leading 228 hits, a career ERA north of four projects to a 3.4 ERA because of statistical analysis?

I have a head analyst at work who tells me she can make numbers say anything she wants them to say.

I do look at stats but I don't only look at stats and I try to think critically about them rather than taking them at face value.
    1) He had an ERA of 2.99 the year before. Seems reasonable that an unbiased computer model could spit out that outcome.

(2) Your colleague is smart, but what she's referring to is not the same thing as this. Now, if Zips was tinkering with their assumptions in the model until it produced a favorable outcome for Shark then you would have a valid explanation.

(3) I agree with you that stats without context aren't enough to draw conclusions, but you don't have a monopoly on critical thinking. I didn't see anyone here just taking stats for face value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Let me ax you a question. Do you agree with this statistical analysis that projects that Samardzija, Cain and Peavy will all finish with sub-4.00 ERAs?
    Peavy and Shark, yes. Cain, no (injury concerns).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    1) He had an ERA of 2.99 the year before. Seems reasonable that an unbiased computer model could spit out that outcome.

(2) Your colleague is smart, but what she's referring to is not the same thing as this. Now, if Zips was tinkering with their assumptions in the model until it produced a favorable outcome for Shark then you would have a valid explanation.

(3) I agree with you that stats without context aren't enough to draw conclusions, but you don't have a monopoly on critical thinking. I didn't see anyone here just taking stats for face value.
    So what does ZIPS put into their model? Do you know? Do they publish their methodology?

That comment was actually directed at giles and just in this one particular instance. I didn't mean to imply that I had a monopoly on critical thinking. I have noticed that when stat time comes, I tend to cite raw numbers where others cite numbers that have been refined, like WAR or FIP. Probably and old school/new school thing.

But I know without a whole lot of refinement what giving up 228 hits and 29 dingers in 214 innings means - and that he had a good year the year before, and that he'll probably be somewhere in the middle, and that the big park in SF helps. I just think 3.4 is very ambitious and can't see how any methodology supports it. The guy's been erratic his entire career and very hittable for much of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So you admit you think he'll be somewhere in the middle of 2.99 and 4.97, and you think the park in SF will help...but you think 3.4 is way off where he'll finish?

Neither raw numbers nor more analytical numbers are bad. Raw numbers generally give you a good idea of what actually happened, while the more analytical numbers are presumably a better predictor going forward. These ZIPS models should all be given consideration while taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Shark will be much better than last year, in my opinion. A lot of it comes down to the ballpark, which will help him giving up many dingers.

I think he'll probably have an ERA around 3.6 or so, which is solid.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Even without getting into analytics I don't think it would be hard to come to the conclusion that his ERA will be be much improved over last year after coming back to the NL and espeically going to that park.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    DBacks are good, but have concerns.

Rotation depth, lineup due to trades, and depth overall.

Dodgers rotation can be very good depending on health and how Maeda plays out, Giants rotation is pretty nasty though with Bum, Cueto, JSam, and others.

Would be surprised if LAD or SF dont win the division.

I'd probably have LA/SF around 90-95 wins, and Arz in the 84-86 win range.
    Last edited by Heyward; 02-19-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Interesting to see Fangraphs rate the Diamondbacks as having the second worst off-season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gradi...-all-30-teams/

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Interesting to see Fangraphs rate the Diamondbacks as having the second worst off-season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/gradi...-all-30-teams/
    So the D-Backs had the 2nd worst offseason, largely on the back of that one trade, and we had the 5th best, almost solely because of that trade. That's how lopsided that trade was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So the D-Backs had the 2nd worst offseason, largely on the back of that one trade, and we had the 5th best, almost solely because of that trade. That's how lopsided that trade was.
    I agree with the way they assessed our off-season, including the view that the we not get that good a return for Simmons.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

dak (02-22-2016)