Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 FA class wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

2018 FA class wow

Could this be a part of why the braves are rebuilding now?*

The 2018 FA class will be epic. Here are a few names...

Craig Kimbrel
    Clayton Kershaw (opt out)*
    Jason Heyward (opt out)*
    Bryce Harper
    Manny Machado
    Andrew McCutchen
    Adam Wainwright
    Jose Fernandez
    Matt Harvey
    Josh Donaldson
    Michael Brantley
    Patrick Corbin
    Shelby Miller

and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Adam Jones
    Zach Britton
    Trevor Rosenthal
    AJ Pollack
    Charlie Blackmon
    Brian Dozier
    Yasmani Grandal
    Derek Norris

and this list goes on.....

So right now the braves have 40.226 on the books for 2019. Freeman and Julio being the biggest at 21.359 and 11.167 respectfully. Something tells me at least one of them won't be here come 2019. So if the braves do want to start this rebuild with kids and sprinkle in the good FA here and their that could start the year 2019 comes around. The braves are hoping for a large payroll influx with the new stadium. Harper seems like the type to test FA and doubt he signs an extension (especially if they haven't won by then). I'd throw the bank at him, especially with all the cheap talent we have coming in 2017-18. We could easily afford 2 of those guys or more.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Not all of them will hit FA but it's an insane class.

Regarding Harper, Yankees have been rumored to get him for some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The FO has said they plan to be a top 10 payroll so that would be around 140-150. That would leave us 100 million to spend on that FA class after what we have tied up in salary at that point. We could match any offer for whoever. But Harper would be my #1 target. And you're right several of those like Cutch, Donaldson, and Machado I doubt make it to FA.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Could this be a part of why the braves are rebuilding now?*

The 2018 FA class will be epic. Here are a few names...

Craig Kimbrel
    Clayton Kershaw (opt out)*
    Jason Heyward (opt out)*
    Bryce Harper
    Manny Machado
    Andrew McCutchen
    Adam Wainwright
    Jose Fernandez
    Matt Harvey
    Josh Donaldson
    Michael Brantley
    Patrick Corbin
    Shelby Miller

and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Adam Jones
    Zach Britton
    Trevor Rosenthal
    AJ Pollack
    Charlie Blackmon
    Brian Dozier
    Yasmani Grandal
    Derek Norris

and this list goes on.....

So right now the braves have 40.226 on the books for 2019. Freeman and Julio being the biggest at 21.359 and 11.167 respectfully. Something tells me at least one of them won't be here come 2019. So if the braves do want to start this rebuild with kids and sprinkle in the good FA here and their that could start the year 2019 comes around. The braves are hoping for a large payroll influx with the new stadium. Harper seems like the type to test FA and doubt he signs an extension (especially if they haven't won by then). I'd throw the bank at him, especially with all the cheap talent we have coming in 2017-18. We could easily afford 2 of those guys or more.
    This is one of the reasons why I think moving Freeman and Teheran (and Markakis of course) is the right thing to do. You are rebuilding. Maximize the value of the return of talented ML players while limiting long term payroll commitments. That doesn't mean decrease yearly payroll, just long term commitment. For the next couple of years, while the young guys are learning and the Braves are learning what they have, the Braves should focus on ML players who are short term commitments on a year to year basis. That doesn't necessarily make for good teams in 2016, or even 2017, butt hat wasn't going to happen anyway.

Fill the pipeline with young talented players who will start hitting the ML level in 2017 where they will be cheap and controllable then fill holes from the 17 and 18 FA markets once you know what the holes will be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-12-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Yankees, Nats, Dodgers among others will have close to clean books by then. We have money to sign players but so will every body else.

I almost prefer being cautious with FA so that we can sign our own guys long term. I don't want to repeat having to trade a promising young core because we have spent all of our money on dead weight.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We still won't be able to just max out payroll on free agents. Sure, we'll have a bunch of cheap young guys for a few years, but you're also going to have to start extending a few of them eventually as well. I absolutely do not want to go after Harper and not because I don't think he'll be worth the contract.

I would much rather sign a couple of second tier guys (Pollock or Brantley, that type) and still have wiggle room than to just blow it out on free agents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Simmons and Miller were controlled for a while when traded. I'm all for signing our players long term. But come 2018 we will have a ton of money available. Signing a Harper wouldn't hurt our chances at retaining our own guys.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The FO has said they plan to be a top 10 payroll so that would be around 140-150. That would leave us 100 million to spend on that FA class after what we have tied up in salary at that point. We could match any offer for whoever. But Harper would be my #1 target. And you're right several of those like Cutch, Donaldson, and Machado I doubt make it to FA.
    Even still, you cant go nuclear in FA.

If guys like Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Allard, etc become legit we'll need money to sign them.

Cant go crazy in FA and then not have any money to sign our own guys by then.

I'd certainly like to get a bat in FA but wouldnt go on a spending spree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I didn't say blow it out on whoever. I said if we wanted to we could sign 2 of them. That would still leave us plenty to extend our own which wouldn't be necessary for several years since they won't be showing up in the majors till then.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Simmons and Miller were controlled for a while when traded. I'm all for signing our players long term. But come 2018 we will have a ton of money available. Signing a Harper wouldn't hurt our chances at retaining our own guys.
    Harper is probably gonna get 30-40 mil a year, while great we cant afford that nor would i want that.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I know it won't happen, but the amount of backtracking that would be done by this board and other Braves fans if we signed Harper would be incredible.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Harper is probably gonna get 30-40 mil a year, while great we cant afford that nor would i want that.
    The value would not be with Harper. Let the Yankees or Dodgers or Red Sox throw money his way. The value would be with others after Harper is off the board and a major money player has spent their cash.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Exactly. He's going to a team with a payroll of $250 million+. Even if our payroll goes up to $150 million, I don't want 25% or more of our payroll used up on any one player.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I know it won't happen, but the amount of backtracking that would be done by this board and other Braves fans if we signed Harper would be incredible.
    If he wouldnt cost close to 40 mil a year, i'd love to get him but not at 1/3-1/4 of our payroll.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I want to add one thing a lot of this players they are extremely good but by 2018 many of them will have 30 years or more. Many times here i read the complaints about Nick Markakis is old. Example: Andrew McCutchen is 29 years old right now. Adam Wainwright is 34 right now, Michael Bradley 28, Josh Donaldson 30, and the list continue. We need to focus on extended our Aces and our core players before we go crazy to sign any of this players by 2018 is a long way too go. By the way by 2018 the Braves can go out again and sign a bunch of International talent.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Braves can't afford a single player mentioned in the OP.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    There is a real disconnect on this board between those of you with big league tunnel vision and those of us who try to keep close tabs on the prospects. In 2019, all of these ridiculously talented 17-18 year olds in our organization will be on the cusp of being MLB ready. The law of averages, speak well for some of these folk working out in a big, big way.
    I never want the Braves to spend much more than $23-$24 million, and only then to retain their own. My gut feeling is that we have no idea where the need will lie in 2019, if anywhere at all.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-13-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think the Braves need to be smart and with all that money try to reinforce the Bullpen or the areas necessary.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    There is a real disconnect on this board between those of you with big league tunnel vision and those of us who try to keep close tabs on the prospects. In 2019, all of these ridiculously talented 17-18 year olds in our organization will be on the cusp of being MLB ready. The law of averages, speak well for some of these folk working out in a big, big way.
    I never want the Braves to spend much more than $23-$24 million, and only then to retain their own. My gut feeling is that we have no idea where the need will lie in 2019, if anywhere at all.
    I think those who are concerned with current ML talent are stuck in the "win now" mode. They are building teams in their minds for 2016. That's understandable since no one wants to see bad baseball. BUT, the plan is to rebuild for 2017 (stated) and beyond (reality). On Freeman, you have to ask if he will be Gordon in 2018-19 or will he be Goldschmidt? If Gordon, then the best move is to move him now since at $22M+ per year he's very expensive to not be a star.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I think you should list the ages those players will be going into the 2019 season. I like some of those players but they will be a little old for the length of contracts they will want. If we signed any of them I would want Harper and Machado.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.