Thread: An Interesting Thought About...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

An Interesting Thought About...

I really hadn't thought much about another bat unless it came via trade until bravesfanforlife88 mentioned this last night...

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...014_braves_sfp

I know it was mentioned yesterday how we got the prospects and saved a little cash. We ended up saving about $4mil in cash on this deal which leaves us ~$18mil....according to this article we are trying to decide if we want to go after signing a veteran SP, flexible infielder, corner outfielder and move Olivera back to third, lefty reliever.....sounds like there are a lot of options they are at least considering....

but it also mentions that if they don't spend the full $18mil some could be applied to the IFA this season....

The OF market has shaken out quite a bit differently than I (or most people for that matter) expected. Heyward's going to get his money, and Gordon's going to get paid, but that next tier seems to be less in demand than first thought. If you look at things as they stand today, best guess is...

1.) Heyward to the Cubs
    2.) Gordon to the Giants
    3.) J-Up to the Angels

The rest of the big-markets appear to be out of play unless the Orioles don't get Chris Davis back, and whether he likes it or not there really doesn't appear to be ANYONE else willing to go further than Borass has gotten Baltimore to go since their increased offer already has them bidding against themselves. Somewhat surprisingly, Cespedes' market has crumbled - the Mutts, Texas, Dodgers, White Sox, Yankees, Padres, Mariners, Blue Jays, A's, Marlins, Rays, Orioles, Reds, Royals, Cardinals, Astros are all likely out on him as things stand.

While I do see it as highly unlikely, they've shown in the past that they will stretch the budget under the right circumstances (Ervin Santana). With Bourn and Swisher coming off the books following this year, I wonder if one of the options they might be considering could be stepping up and offering Cespedes something like 4/$72-$80 million while no one's paying attention.

While it wouldn't be ideal defensively since it would involve moving Olivera back to 3B, it would make a profound impact on the offense. Hart has said several times that they're not moving him to LF out of necessity, but because it currently makes the lineup better.

CF- Inciarte, 3B- Olivera, 1B- Freeman, LF- Cespedes, C- A.J./Flowers, RF- Markakis, SS- Aybar, 2B- Peterson

Would actually suddenly become a pretty potent offense. Trading Shelby proves that they're more or less comfortable committing to the young guns at this point, and with the ability to score runs (unlike last year) most of them wouldn't get killed consistently unless they threw up complete clunkers. If they started to do that, you shuttle Blair/Folty/Banuelos/Jenkins/Newcomb/Sims/Perez/Weber back-and-forth between Atlanta and Gwinnett in the #4 and #5 slots until someone steps up. The first three slots are covered with Julio, Norris, and Wisler - barring another veteran rotation signing that appears to be the plan anyway. DOB mentioned on MLB Network this morning is that he expects Jenkins to be called up as the first injury replacement anyway.

If they did that, they'd still be in a position to shop Markakis and slide Inciarte to RF - playing Bourn or platooning Bourn and Bonifacio in CF until Mallex is ready.

Again, I do think it's a long shot, but if they'd go to $20 million per on Cespedes I'd be willing to bet they'd get him.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-10-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-10-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I like Cespedes, but I will be shocked if he signs for fewer than 5 years or less than $23 million annually, which definitely puts us out of contention for him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    we have too many problems and too many scrubs on this team to even think the Braves will go after a big FA... money will be available next year.. just not sure any players will be.. maybe Reddick??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Glad I could be of service!

You know when I posted that yesterday, I was thinking how nice it would be to jump into a race for a free agent as a surprise. Highly doubt it would happen as you said, but would be pretty cool and again, would push up the competitive time line.....
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 12-10-2015 at 11:24 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    I like Cespedes, but I will be shocked if he signs for fewer than 5 years or less than $23 million annually, which definitely puts us out of contention for him.
    Who's going there for him??? J-up doesn't look like he's going to get that much at this point. If Gordon gets less than $100 million (and it appears he might), nobody's spending that for Justin or Cespedes.

If the Giants offer Gordon 5/$100 million, he signs today.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-10-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Not if the Braves move Markakis and his money. That might be possible IF Baltimore misses on Davis, or even if they don't.

Then you go Swisher in RF.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    It's a thought. I didn't think the waters would be this cold on FA hitters. Thinking Sandavol and Hanley just screwed it up for everyone.

I'm not sure how we feel about Cespedes, but if we have a dollar amount on him that we could get him for, then I could possibly see it.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    we have too many problems and too many scrubs on this team to even think the Braves will go after a big FA... money will be available next year.. just not sure any players will be.. maybe Reddick??
    That's the only reason I think they'd even consider acting now. Bumping the budget $5 million this year to get a long-term answer doesn't hurt you long-term since clearing Bourn and Swisher next winter covers his salary going forward.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-10-2015 at 11:53 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Cespedes
    AJ/Flowers
    Markakis
    Olivera
    Albies

Thats not a terrible line up going into the new stadium in 17

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Cespedes
    AJ/Flowers
    Markakis
    Olivera
    Albies

Thats not a terrible line up going into the new stadium in 17

Not bad, but considering the fact that payroll WILL be going up,

Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, Cespedes, Wieters, Olivera, Smith, Albies

could be even better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-11-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not bad, but considering the fact that payroll WILL be going up,

Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, Cespedes, Wieters, Olivera, Smith, Albies

could be even better.

Of course, I was just going with what we have now. I think I had a AJ/flowers platoon on that list. AJ is a free agent and will probably not be back in 17. So I could see the wieters angle

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Who's going there for him??? J-up doesn't look like he's going to get that much at this point. If Gordon gets less than $100 million (and it appears he might), nobody's spending that for Justin or Cespedes.

If the Giants offer Gordon 5/$100 million, he signs today.
    Neither Upton nor Gordon is coming off a season anywhere near as good as Cespedes' 2015. On top of that Gordon is nearly 2 years older than Cespedes, and Upton is awful defensively. Neither of them can play CF either.

Once Heyward signs, Cespedes will be the biggest impact OF available in a lot of teams eyes, and the bidding will be well north of the terms you mentioned.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    We know one thing for certain...the Braves will not sign anyone with a QO attached. That pretty much leaves Ces as the only impact bat that even has a slight chance of becoming a Brave. MLBTR pegged him for a 6/140 contract, which is just over $23M per year.

The Braves are going to need to add a player like Ces at some point to hit behind Freeman, so if his market tumbles and he can be had for around $100M total I hope the Braves have enough dry powder left to take advantage. The biggest hurdle will be affording the first year of a Cespedes deal, which is why signings like Bonifacio and Beckham are so odd to me and seem like a waste of a few million that could be used towards an impact solution. The Braves could certainly afford to carry another $20M+ player, especially if they find a way to unload Markakis to a team that can't afford to pay more than $11M per year for a corner OFer.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-10-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Neither Upton nor Gordon is coming off a season anywhere near as good as Cespedes' 2015. On top of that Gordon is nearly 2 years older than Cespedes, and Upton is awful defensively. Neither of them can play CF either.

Once Heyward signs, Cespedes will be the biggest impact OF available in a lot of teams eyes, and the bidding will be well north of the terms you mentioned.
    Except for the fact that there are far fewer believers in Cespedes out there than there are in Upton or Gordon, and that despite his run in New York last season there are still quite a few people who question whether he's a bit of a headcase.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    If the Cards lose Heyward, i think they'll go after one of Gordon, Ces, Upton or Chris Davis.

I wouldnt be against the Braves getting one if the price for say, Ces is lowish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Definitely want to avoid Cespedes, too much of a risk. He's already 30, and he's been to uneven the past few years. I don't see him being worth the full contract. After bursting on the scene in 2012, he put up pedestrian .737 and .751 OPS in 2013 and 2014. He was doing better on Detroit last year, but then went Nuts on the Mets to drive his overall numbers up. But it was a contract year for him, sooooo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd monitor all of the FA outfielders and see who's left standing. Alot of teams don't need an outfielder and there are a ton of em out there. I like Gordon alot to. I know Heyward will be the first one off the board and the Upton ship has sailed for us so I'd say Cespedes or Gordon.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'd monitor all of the FA outfielders and see who's left standing. Alot of teams don't need an outfielder and there are a ton of em out there. I like Gordon alot to. I know Heyward will be the first one off the board and the Upton ship has sailed for us so I'd say Cespedes or Gordon.
    As mentioned by someone above - Gordon comes with the QO attached.

The only reason I could even imagine they'd consider Cespedes is because

1.) he doesn't come with one
    2.) gives you legitimate right-handed power behind Freddie - with far superior defense in LF compared to our other options (not named Inciarte)
    3.) pairing him with Olivera might make both of them better

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-11-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    As mentioned by someone above - Gordon comes with the QO attached.

The only reason I could even imagine they'd consider Cespedes is because

1.) he doesn't come with one
    2.) gives you legitimate right-handed power behind Freddie - with far superior defense in LF compared to our other options (not named Inciarte)
    3.) pairing him with Olivera might make both of them better
    OR you could be really smart and trade Markakis and sign Cespedes.