Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future SS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,708 Posts

Future SS

Swanson or Albies? Which one projects best defensively?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Has to be Swanson. Bigger, stronger arm. Albies 100% can handle SS long term but to me it's an easy answer.

This is going to be one exciting DP combo for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    lI would go with Swanson as well. I mean, they can swap if needed, so it's not a biggie, but both can be a legit top of the lineup bats. 1-2 in the lineup and a strong 1-2 punch of the middle. #ImInLove

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Jace Peterson. That's my pick for nxt yr be we should trade aybar

Long term I think we just let it play out. Swanson likely gets to the show faster so he probably goes to ss first.

I know everyone loves Riley but he's super young and it's a really sss at a low level. Plenty of ppl rake at low levels and stall at aaa or aa. All that to say....any chance of Swanson at 3b?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'd like to see how Swanson handles short before assuming he'll be the guy. Ozzie has a surprising arm for his size.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Long term I think we just let it play out. Swanson likely gets to the show faster so he probably goes to ss first.

I know everyone loves Riley but he's super young and it's a really sss at a low level. Plenty of ppl rake at low levels and stall at aaa or aa. All that to say....any chance of Swanson at 3b?
    I'm not ready to pencil Riley in either, although the early returns look solid. From what I know of Swanson (not much), he adds a lot. I don't know if his power projects enough to be an offensive plus at 3B. If he were to play there, the Braves would have to have plus offense at a position that usually concentrates on defense. I would guess that Swanson's either at SS or 2B (with Albies likely at the other) and let's not forget Rio Ruiz as a possible 3B to bridge to Riley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    With his strong arm, would Swanson be a better future candidate for 3b?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    With his strong arm, would Swanson be a better future candidate for 3b?
    No, no. We'll have our 47 year old Cuban stud at that point. lol

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-09-2015), jpx7 (12-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    No, no. We'll have our 47 year old Cuban stud at that point. lol
    Yes. Can't forget about Olive. Speaking of which...a nasty Olive does fit in well with the Mukaki rebuild.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (12-09-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not ready to pencil Riley in either, although the early returns look solid. From what I know of Swanson (not much), he adds a lot. I don't know if his power projects enough to be an offensive plus at 3B. If he were to play there, the Braves would have to have plus offense at a position that usually concentrates on defense. I would guess that Swanson's either at SS or 2B (with Albies likely at the other) and let's not forget Rio Ruiz as a possible 3B to bridge to Riley.
    Fair point. Rio Ruiz stunk but he was a good prospect before last yr.

If you have mallex Swanson albies and inciarte then you are going to need some extra pop from Olivera ff and other spots.

Or you go super saber and go all in on d. Pray pitchers live up to hype . And try to win like mets 3-1. Make a signing or trade like they did to get a big bopper and hide him somewhere on d.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    3B - Kevin Maitan
    SS - Swanson
    2B - Albies
    1B - Freeman (if he makes it that long)
    C - ?
    LF - ?
    CF - Smith
    RF - ?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

No I can't see Swanson moving to 3B. Pretty much all reports say he will be a strong defensive SS. He's an up the middle guy. Maybe he moves to 2B if it's determined Albies is stronger defensively but can't see him moving to 3B.

Just know that SS and 2B are golden for us for a VERY long time with Swanson and Albies. The only movement from those guys will be between SS and 2B

16. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-09-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think Swanson ends up at 2B or 3B. He was a 2B guy in college before shifting over to short.

Albies probably begins next year at high A as will Swanson so we will probably know pretty quickly. If everything goes to plan (ha), it probably will be Riley at low A at 3B, moving to high A by mid season. Swanson and Albies at High A, with Swanson moving to AA by midseason. Ruiz at AA for the year. Maitan signs in June and begins at the GCL and is 2-3 years behind.

I also think you could see Davidson move to 1B full time.

I wonder if the Brewers would do a CB and Jenkins trade for Garza and OF Phillips with the Braves taking all of Garza's money? Teheran to Pitt for Meadows or Cleveland for Frazier?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Has to be Swanson. Bigger, stronger arm. Albies 100% can handle SS long term but to me it's an easy answer.

This is going to be one exciting DP combo for years.
    From what I've read Albies has the better arm (60 to 55) and is faster (70 to 60). If anything I would imagine Swanson is the SS starting in 2017, and by the time Albies comes up he will have lost a bit of range and will slide over to 2B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    From what I've read Albies has the better arm (60 to 55) and is faster (70 to 60). If anything I would imagine Swanson is the SS starting in 2017, and by the time Albies comes up he will have lost a bit of range and will slide over to 2B.
    weren't they saying that Albies was going to be up by 2017...? if so, he could be up first. I know Swanson is a really good prospect, but he was just drafted 6 months ago. I'd rather not rush him to the show. We should let him develop properly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    weren't they saying that Albies was going to be up by 2017...? if so, he could be up first. I know Swanson is a really good prospect, but he was just drafted 6 months ago. I'd rather not rush him to the show. We should let him develop properly
    "Albies 2017" was probably just an attempt to calm the fanbase after Simmons was traded. It's possible, but he just completed his 18 year old season at the low A level. He will obviously start his age 19 season at high A, and might earn a promotion to AA at some point that year. If he tears it up in AA he could be ready sometime in 2017 as a 20 year old, but that is really pushing it.

I think the better option will be to offer Aybar a QO, and if he rejects it go find a stopgap FA SS for 1-2 years.

Just realized that doesn't answer anything about Swanson/Albies at SS, sorry!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    After seeing Albies in person, I just disagree with that rating of his arm. I think his arm is adequate for a SS, but I think it would diminish some of his defensive value there. I think he is a perfect fit at 2B with Swanson at SS.

You think Swanson will have lost range in about a year when he's 24 or so?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think Albies absolutely could be ready by some point in 2017. He is extremely advanced for his age, and he's more of a really high floor guy than a really high ceiling guy (not a knock on him at all, I love him), so I could see him getting to AA pretty easily this year with a strong chance of coming to Atlanta by midseason 2017.

And Swanson may be ready to start the year in Atlanta in 2017. We may wait to call him up, but I think he at least gets to AA this year, and if he has success there, he'll basically be ready.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    But he's a college guy and not considered raw at all. He already has advanced plate discipline, and we won't be waiting for his power to develop, so he could absolutely fly through the system. He'll be up before Albies.

I think Swanson will start the year in A+ with the plan to move him up in a month or so if he's playing well. And once he's in AA, it's all on how he plays. I definitely don't think we would call him up in 2016, but a full year basically at AA would get him ready.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    After seeing Albies in person, I just disagree with that rating of his arm. I think his arm is adequate for a SS, but I think it would diminish some of his defensive value there. I think he is a perfect fit at 2B with Swanson at SS.

You think Swanson will have lost range in about a year when he's 24 or so?
    I have no idea, I'm not a scout. I haven't seen either in person, and I'm not sure it would matter if I did see them both since I don't know anything about grading professional players. I can't imagine Swanson has more range than Albies right now just based on their speed grades, so I don't see how a 24 year old Swanson will have better range than a 20 years old Albies.

As far as throwing arm, I can only go by the ratings I see on the internet, and that gives a 60-55 edge to Albies.

I have no idea who was playing SS at Vandy that forced Swanson to 2B, but either he was an absolute stud defender, or Swanson was merely adequate at SS when he was older than Albies is right now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-09-2015 at 12:54 PM.