Thread: WOW Uggla and BJ OUT! GDT 8/13

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think the Nats will make a run, but as long as the Braves win like we are supposed to its our division at the end. I'd say we hold them off and win the east with a 9 game margin.
    If we only won 20 games the rest of the way, they would have to only lose 9 games from here on out to top us. I agree they will make a run but the margin for error is just so so small.

Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I not sure anyone ( at least me) is saying Dan is playing to his contact because he's not. Of course Simba is more valuable because his D is legendary. Dan is just having a better year at the plate. Unfortunately, both are having poor years offensively

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    If we're talking about offensive potential to compare who's been the better hitter, I'd say Andrelton has hit about 75% of his offensive potential this year.

Uggla besides homeruns and walks has sucked in almost every other category which IMO has hurt the team more than Andrelton's offensive woes.

I have no idea how you can say Uggs is having a better year at the plate than Simmons, when Uggla's entire career has been about belting homeruns and driving in runs which he's not doing (yeah he's 7th in the NL, but seems like sans Chris Davis and a few, there's a bit of a slugging power outage this year).

Would you compare Simmons and Freeman's offensive productions as well? Simmons being a premium defensive position, and Freeman playing an offensive position?

If you compare the numbers head to head, sure Uggla's numbers look better. Does that necessarily mean he's had a better year at the plate than Andrelton? I'm not sold on that.
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    If we're talking about offensive potential to compare who's been the better hitter, I'd say Andrelton has hit about 75% of his offensive potential this year.

Uggla besides homeruns and walks has sucked in almost every other category which IMO has hurt the team more than Andrelton's offensive woes.

I have no idea how you can say Uggs is having a better year at the plate than Simmons, when Uggla's entire career has been about belting homeruns and driving in runs which he's not doing (yeah he's 7th in the NL, but seems like sans Chris Davis and a few, there's a bit of a slugging power outage this year).

Would you compare Simmons and Freeman's offensive productions as well? Simmons being a premium defensive position, and Freeman playing an offensive position?

If you compare the numbers head to head, sure Uggla's numbers look better. Does that necessarily mean he's had a better year at the plate than Andrelton? I'm not sold on that.
    We shouldn't forget that Uggla is in a steep 3 year decline. Simmons is still so young and has so little professional experience hitting that struggling in his first full season is expected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-14-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Simmons is in the top 3 or 4 in hits.

At 112 or so, he's been ok offensively.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Simmons is in the top 3 or 4 in hits.

At 112 or so, he's been ok offensively.
    He has hits bc he has :

A) Plenty of PAs
    B) PAs without walks

Awful stat to use to judge whether they've been ok offensively or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    But how many MULTI.HIT.GAMES does he have?
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    He has hits bc he has :

A) Plenty of PAs
    B) PAs without walks

Awful stat to use to judge whether they've been ok offensively or not.
    Just imagine how bad Uggla's numbers would be if he had more PA.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-14-2013)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Simmons has been extremely bad at the plate.

Uggla has been really bad, but better than Simmons.

Arguing otherwise is silly.

Obviously, Simmons is the superior defender and much more valuable player, but he is certainly a terrible hitter this year

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post

Uggla besides homeruns and walks has sucked in almost every other category which IMO has hurt the team more than Andrelton's offensive woes. "Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play". The ONLY thing Simmons has done better offensively than Uggla this year is hit for a better average, which is currently .239. Simmons hits for a little power, but very rarely walks. Here's why walks are important: They aren't an out. They put runners on base, from where they can score. Simmons makes more outs than Uggla does. Outs=bad. Baserunners=good. .

I have no idea how you can say Uggs is having a better year at the plate than Simmons, when Uggla's entire career has been about belting homeruns and driving in runs which he's not doing (yeah he's 7th in the NL, but seems like sans Chris Davis and a few, there's a bit of a slugging power outage this year). It's simple, really, because Uggla has produced more runs than Simmons has, and runs win games--not batting average. And if power numbers are being suppressed this year for everyone else, they have been suppressed for Uggla, too. And he is still 7th in the league in homers, no matter how you spin it

Would you compare Simmons and Freeman's offensive productions as well? Simmons being a premium defensive position, and Freeman playing an offensive position? Maybe not, but both Uggla and Simmons are middle infielders.

If you compare the numbers head to head, sure Uggla's numbers look better. Does that necessarily mean he's had a better year at the plate than Andrelton? I'm not sold on that. What, then, describes a better offensive year, if not which player produces more runs
    xx