Thread: Oregon

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Remember this guy

Isn't that Ringo??? I don't know him but I do recall he was one of Clive's sniper types back when he should have been nailed by the Feds. Personally I think his little shenanigan was worse than what's going on in Oregon right now. At least these guys waited until it was Winter and noone will (hopefully get hurt) by their little statement, other than the fact that they didn't properly lay in provisions when this all started. To be totally honest after all I ate over the holidays I should probably go stand guard with them for a few days, to try and lose a few pounds (since they allegedly forgot to bring snacks. Apparently one of Obama's czars must have been in charge of catering for this.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I'm late to the party and am not up on the story other than on one point: the Bundies aren't Christians, from what I know.
    Careful you judgmental SOB!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    I'm late to the party and am not up on the story other than on one point: the Bundies aren't Christians, from what I know.
    Because they're Mormons?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Because they're Mormons?

Yep. Mormons aren't Christians.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Yep. Mormons aren't Christians.
    Uh, yeah they are. Their ideas seem a little strange for mainstream Christians but they are Christians. Come on, Bedell. Don't be small-minded. I've dealt with that enough on this thread.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Uh, yeah they are. Their ideas seem a little strange for mainstream Christians but they are Christians. Come on, Bedell. Don't be small-minded. I've dealt with that enough on this thread.
    Mormonism is a really successful cult.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

I'm not being small-minded, nor am I denigrating their beliefs. I'm speaking historically and theologically. I can call myself a Buddhist, but that doesn't make me one. Mormons may call themselves Christians, but when you deny fundamental catholic (meaning "universally held") doctrines/tenets of Christianity, you do not have the historical/theological right to call yourself "Christian" (it is dishonest). Since nearly the beginning of the Christian Church, those core, orthodox tenets have been spelled out in the great Ecumenical Creeds of the Church - like the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed. Mormons do not hold to such. Their theology (doctrine of God), their Christology (doctrine of Christ), their soteriology (doctrine of salvation), their eschatology (doctrine of last things), etc., are all at odds with the historic, orthodox Christian Faith. Christianity isn't a waxed nose that can be molded into just any old form one likes. It's has it's distinguishing characteristics (theology and piety). Mormonism has a different theology and piety. And that's fine and all. it just isn't Christian.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 01-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Mormonism is a really successful cult.

Yep.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I just think Ammon Bundy is gunning for the Joe the Plumber role in the 2016 election cycle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Christianity isn't a waxed nose that can be molded into just any old form one likes. It's has it's distinguishing characteristics (theology and piety).
    They're classified as Christians. Christianity can be molded. That's the whole point. Anybody who comes to Jesus is a Christian even if it conflicts with your beliefs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    They're classified as Christians. Christianity can be molded. That's the whole point. Anybody who comes to Jesus is a Christian even if it conflicts with your beliefs.

But what "Jesus" - that's the point (or an aspect of it). Christianity can't mean just any old thing or it means nothing. And it's not that the Bundy's beliefs conflict with mine - mine aren't the measure - it's that they conflict with the core doctrines of what is Christianity.

Certainly there are differences of opinion on what could be considered secondary, tertiary, etc., doctrines. But not those core teachings that have marked the Church through the centuries and across the globe. Let me give you an example. I could call myself a Trinitarian Muslim. But that wouldn't make me a Muslim because a decidedly non-Trinitarian Unitarianism is a defining doctrine of Islam.

Let Mormons believe what they are convicted to believe. But let's have the historical honesty to call it something other than Christianity. That's all I am saying.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    But what "Jesus" - that's the point (or an aspect of it). Christianity can't mean just any old thing or it means nothing. And it's not that the Bundy's beliefs conflict with mine - mine aren't the measure - it's that they conflict with the core doctrines of what is Christianity.

Certainly there are differences of opinion on what could be considered secondary, tertiary, etc., doctrines. But not those core teachings that have marked the Church through the centuries and across the globe. Let me give you an example. I could call myself a Trinitarian Muslim. But that wouldn't make me a Muslim because a decidedly non-Trinitarian Unitarianism is a defining doctrine of Islam.

Let Mormons believe what they are convicted to believe. But let's have the historical honesty to call it something other than Christianity. That's all I am saying.
    Not trying to get any more involved in this than I already am, but don't Mormoms believe (among whatever other things they believe) that Jesus and Lucifer were/are brothers, rather than Jesus being the Son of God and Lucifer being a fallen archangel? Or am I getting them confused with someone else?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Not trying to get any more involved in this than I already am, but don't Mormoms believe (among whatever other things they believe) that Jesus and Lucifer were/are brothers, rather than Jesus being the Son of God and Lucifer being a fallen archangel? Or am I getting them confused with someone else?
    Yes. They believe that the "Father" fathered (by a mother god) all spirits and that Jesus and Satan are spirit-brothers.

They are really polytheists.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 01-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Yes. They believe that the "Father" fathered (by a mother god) all spirits and that Jesus and Satan are spirit-brothers.

They are really polytheists.
    Yeah, that could never work for me, but I've known a handful of Mormons over the years, not a lot, but quite a few for the area where I live and I can't think of one of them I didn't like . Weird how that stuff works sometimes isn't it?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Yeah, that could never work for me, but I've known a handful of Mormons over the years, not a lot, but quite a few for the area where I live and I can't think of one of them I didn't like . Weird how that stuff works sometimes isn't it?
    Most mormons I know are good people. And their religion is almost certainly part of that. But it's not Christianity by basically any standard.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-05-2016), jpx7 (01-06-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I like Mormons better than Jehovah's Witnesses. The JW's seemed more cultish and creepy than the Mormons, whereas the Mormons were just very polite.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I just think Ammon Bundy is gunning for the Joe the Plumber role in the 2016 election cycle.
    Bundy the Rancher?

Or Cliven The Cunt?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    I like Mormons better than Jehovah's Witnesses. The JW's seemed more cultish and creepy than the Mormons, whereas the Mormons were just very polite.
    Jehovah's Witnesses are a really popular end of days sect. But most of their beliefs are in line with standard christian doctrine. But they're a cult. Just a kind of ****ty one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Isn't every religion is by definition "a cult", at least at first? If it survives, it grows into a social/political movement, but it's still a cult. The rules and customs become lax over time, giving opening for new opportunists to make new cults.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Isn't every religion is by definition "a cult", at least at first? If it survives, it grows into a social/political movement, but it's still a cult. The rules and customs become lax over time, giving opening for new opportunists to make new cults.
    I agree. Mormonism is no more or no less of a cult than Christianity is.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-06-2016), The Chosen One (01-06-2016)