Thread: Braves listening on Inciarte, Teheran, and Markakis for power bat; Freeman staying

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't think we'll trade Markakis. He's one of the few veteran anchors we have. Also, trading him a year after signing him doesn't make us look great to free agents in the future. Free agents might not play a big factor for us now but who knows about next year. I think we have to wait until at least midseason to deal him with next winter being more likely.
    I don't really agree with this. Yes, free agents sign with teams they want to play for, but they also sign where the money/contention window works out for them. Us signing Markakis last year and trading him now is different to, say, the Marlins firesale back in the day. What they did, signing a bunch of bigtime FAs then selling them all a year later, is different from signing a mid-tier FA, changing our contention strategy pretty significantly in the meantime, and then trading him. I don't think future free agents are going to look at us and say, "Hmmm they kept Markakis for 2 years/1.5 years instead of 1 year, I can sign there." If anything were to negatively impact us in future contract negotiations, I would actually say it's trading homegrown guys like Andrelton right after signing a long-term extension (though I also don't think it will matter much if at all, just a consideration).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (01-16-2016)