Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Heyman: Braves 'interested' in Cespedes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Depends what your goals are. If it's to be winning games in the regular season then sure. If you desire to win in the playoffs then so be it. I think most fans/team would go with the last one.
    You might find this hard to believe, but just about everyone around here wants to win in the playoffs as much as you do. But most of us also realize that there isn't much that you can do to optimize a team to win in the playoffs as opposed to the regular season, especially since there is a large element of luck when it comes to winning 5 and 7 game series.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-23-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You might find this hard to believe, but just about everyone around here wants to win in the playoffs as much as you do. But most of us also realize that there isn't much that you can do to optimize a team to win in the playoffs as opposed to the regular season, especially since there is a large element of luck when it comes to winning 5 and 7 game series.

I was referring to major league teams. Not a minor league team that plays in Atlanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I thought we were talking about the gnats and Werth.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I thought we were talking about the gnats and Werth.

Oh well in that case it was a good deal for both sides.

Sorry I just spew random stuff in the baseball threads once-in-awhile now. Just because I am so burnt out on the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Oh well in that case it was a good deal for both sides.

Sorry I just spew random stuff in the baseball threads once-in-awhile now. Just because I am so burnt out on the Braves.
    Weird that you're so burnt out on them yet still use so much time to post about them. Ultimate troll is ultimate.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Weird that you're so burnt out on them yet still use so much time to post about them. Ultimate troll is ultimate.
    Probably have made less than 15 posts about baseball since the turn of the calendar. Keep grasping at straws.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-23-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    I can't think of two moves less likely to happen than the Braves signing Fowler or Desmond. The Braves are unquestionably going to be terrible in 2016 and 2017, and there isn't really much that can be done about it. Sure, there will be money to spend but there will literally be nobody to spend it on.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can't think of two moves less likely to happen than the Braves signing Fowler or Desmond. The Braves are unquestionably going to be terrible in 2016 and 2017, and there isn't really much that can be done about it. Sure, there will be money to spend but there will literally be nobody to spend it on.
    We need to start call you Dr. Norman Vincent FAIL, author of The Power of Negative Thinking. If my 86-year-old dad read your post, he might just crawl off and die because it's clear Braves fans have nothing to live for. I wish folks like you could have a chance to re-live the 1977 season and learn was truly wretched is all about. I don't even remember this much negativity during the 106-loss death march that was 1988.

(This was my first try at winning Post of the Week. How'd I do?)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-24-2016), Knucksie (01-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think we'll be about a .500 team in 2017, assuming payroll increases by 30M or so with the move to the new stadium. Which means we could make the playoffs if Lady Luck smiles on us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    I think we'll be about a .500 team in 2017, assuming payroll increases by 30M or so with the move to the new stadium. Which means we could make the playoffs if Lady Luck smiles on us.
    Ok, but who will be available to spend that money on before the 2017 season? It's a recipe for spending top dollar on a non-impact FA.

This was the offseason to get a bat, and it didn't happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Ok, but who will be available to spend that money on before the 2017 season? It's a recipe for spending top dollar on a non-impact FA.

It has been stated over and over and over, but FA is not the only way to spend money.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-24-2016), JohnAdcox (01-24-2016), mfree80 (01-24-2016), rico43 (01-25-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I don't even remember this much negativity during the 106-loss death march that was 1988.
    It's because there wasn't. Fans accepted reality, but there were more ample roster move blunders, which caused far more significant damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    (This was my first try at winning Post of the Week. How'd I do?)
    One vote here.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-24-2016)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Pretty sad that one of the main justifications for the team being sub-par for another couple years is "It won't be as bad as the late 80s!"

If you all are so convinced the payroll is going to increase that much and we're going to get so many people to come to the new park, then what's the harm in picking up a couple MLB veterans for next year and building a little more momentum going into 2017?

At least it won't be 1988!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It has been stated over and over and over, but FA is not the only way to spend money.
    Yea I can't wait for people here to lose their minds when we trade a bunch of prospects for the people we decide to spend money on outside free agency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Probably have made less than 15 posts about baseball since the turn of the calendar. Keep grasping at straws.
    Not true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Actually we can take on salary in a variety of ways. See Bourn and Swisher for example. But there are other players who are still productive but have contracts that would make it relatively easy to acquire them.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Pretty sad that one of the main justifications for the team being sub-par for another couple years is "It won't be as bad as the late 80s!"

If you all are so convinced the payroll is going to increase that much and we're going to get so many people to come to the new park, then what's the harm in picking up a couple MLB veterans for next year and building a little more momentum going into 2017?

At least it won't be 1988!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly the point of the article.

Someone replied that they didn't see any of those signings making sense at all. I agree that they'd be "outside the box", and that Desmond and Latos would be lottery tickets at best. However, I think Coppy could recoup AT LEAST the value of the two picks they'd sacrifice - even if they were traded for international signing slots. A middle infield of Aybar and Desmond this season and Desmond and Peterson in 2017 would give Swanson and Albies two FULL seasons to develop as a double-play combination without rushing either of them. If they force their way onto the roster before 2018, Desmond could be swapped to a contender that's unable to spend money on the international market, saving money on any players signed, and giving the organization the flexibility to manipulate their clocks - saving millions by giving us an extra season of control. The same would be true in Latos' case - he'd give the Braves the chance to delay Blair's arrival until June at the very least.

A Fowler signing seems a little curious, but I still believe the Cubs are going to eventually want to move Heyward back to RF. They love him, but didn't want to give him a multi-year deal with potential almost-ready long-term options in their system. He'd give you what they need - a short-term commitment to a CF that can lead off so Heyward doesn't have to. Even if he's not enough to get you Baez or Soler, he probably IS enough to get you Almora and a couple international slots. If they're desperate, maybe he even gets you Willson Contreras and they trade Soler for a Pitcher. In that scenario you still get one of the players you want from Chicago while holding on to both Inciarte AND Teheran.

Even if you signed all three players, you're still likely to have a protected (Top 10) pick in the 2017 draft, meaning you still get the high-end #3 pick this summer, the international signings, AND a high-ceiling player in next summer's draft to add even more depth to the system.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-25-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-25-2016)