Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: International News, Rumor and Signing Thread

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The Braves have announced the assignment of second baseman Jose Fernandez to Carolina. Can find no details, but is there even the slightest chance this is Cuban second baseman Jose Miguel Fernandez, who held a showcase tryout June 13 with Lazarito? He would be eligible to sign with anyone without any kind of penalty in any other draft.

This would seem to be something they should be shouting from the rooftops. It occurred to me that maybe the transaction thread caused this to see the light of day prematurely. But I have nothing, pro or con. Just wishful thinking....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The Braves have announced the assignment of second baseman Jose Fernandez to Carolina. Can find no details, but is there even the slightest chance this is Cuban second baseman Jose Miguel Fernandez, who held a showcase tryout June 13 with Lazarito? He would be eligible to sign with anyone without any kind of penalty in any other draft.

This would seem to be something they should be shouting from the rooftops. It occurred to me that maybe the transaction thread caused this to see the light of day prematurely. But I have nothing, pro or con. Just wishful thinking....
    Hmmm if it's that Jose he was highly thought of at one time.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Hmmm if it's that Jose he was highly thought of at one time.
    Ben ranked him the third best player in Cuba in January 2016, so yeah, sounds like a good player. He is old enough though where any team can sign him as he doesn't fit in the international signees rules for younger players, meaning current penalty teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox and Cubs could sign him.

I hope we did sign the Cuban Jose Fernandez but I doubt it. :)

Actually, saw the article. The Jose Fernandez we signed isn't the Cuban one, unfortunately, but rather a Dominican.
    Last edited by Pachoo; 06-24-2016 at 01:32 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachoo For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (06-24-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Yeah, it wasn't going to be the Cuban one or else everyone would have known about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Baseball America International Rankings are out. The free version shows only the rankings with links to their YouTube videos: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...IfGyu4grToZ.97

It looks like we are the favorite for:

1. Kevin Maitan
    8. Yunior Severino
    15. Abrahan Gutierrez
    16. Livan Soto

Is there anyone else in the top 30 that I'm missing that we are rumored to be signing?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Baseball America International Rankings are out. The free version shows only the rankings with links to their YouTube videos: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...IfGyu4grToZ.97

1. Kevin Maitan
    8. Yunior Severino
    15. Abrahan Gutierrez
    16. Livan Soto

Is there anyone else in the top 30 that I'm missing that we are rumored to be signing?
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

1. Kevin Maitan
    8. Yunior Severino
    15. Abrahan Gutierrez
    16. Livan Soto

You know its funny..... we've been hearing about this international signing period for soooo long and our expectations are so high..... that I see that list and my initial reaction is "We are only signing 4 of the top 16 kids?"

Imagine if this period hadn't been built up -- like we didn't know that the Braves planned to go all out -- and this list comes out and suddenly we are in line to sign the top player available and 3 other highly highly thought of kids -- this board would lose their minds.

I said it awhile ago, but with the draft we just had, the international signing period, the trade deadline and the ability to sell off our international pool money --- this summer has the potential to add a staggering amount of talent into the system.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    You know its funny..... we've been hearing about this international signing period for soooo long and our expectations are so high..... that I see that list and my initial reaction is "We are only signing 4 of the top 16 kids?"

Imagine if this period hadn't been built up -- like we didn't know that the Braves planned to go all out -- and this list comes out and suddenly we are in line to sign the top player available and 3 other highly highly thought of kids -- this board would lose their minds.

I said it awhile ago, but with the draft we just had, the international signing period, the trade deadline and the ability to sell off our international pool money --- this summer has the potential to add a staggering amount of talent into the system.
    #ALLINFOR1-1

2017 WE COMPETE FOR A WILD CARD SPOT PLUS GET THE #1 OVERALL PICK. SETTING OURSELVES UP FOR A DECADE OF DOMINANCE. PREACH IT BABY. PREACH IT!
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Just for the sake of comparison, here are the rankings of guys we are involved with on Baseball America and MLB.com. I forgot Badler mentioned in recent weeks that we are a possibility for Del Rosario.

Baseball America

1. INF Kevin Maitan
    8. INF Yunior Severino
    15. C Abrahan Gutierrez
    16. INF Livan Soto
    26. RHP Yefri Del Rosario

MLB.com

1. INF Kevin Maitain
    18. C Abrahan Gutierrez
    19. INF Yunior Severino
    22. INF Yenci Pena
    24. INF Livan Soto
    26. RHP Juan Contreras

That's seven different guys ranked in a top 30 by at least one of the sites.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Should be noted that these BA rankings do not include Cuban players, so there's still the possibility of Braves signing one or more of them.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    It sucks, because these are the Padres in the top 30 BA list..
    2. Luis Almanzar
    4. Gabriel Arias
    6. Jeison Rosario
    28. Justin Lopez

I'm pretty sure we have more, but that haul of #2,3,and 6...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravescountry View Post
    It sucks, because these are the Padres in the top 30 BA list..
    2. Luis Almanzar
    4. Gabriel Arias
    6. Jeison Rosario
    28. Justin Lopez

I'm pretty sure we have more, but that haul of #2,3,and 6...
    We were never going to be the ONLY team that blew through their limits, especially with the other big spenders like LAD, NYY, BOS off the market -- other teams were going to get involved here.

If we sign the guys we are supposed to sign; this is going to be a hell of a haul.

You add Maitain/Abraham/Severino/Pena/Soto/Contreras/Rosario/+ more, to Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Harrington/Bryse/Walker/Rowald, to additions from trades of Norris/Frenchy/Johnson/Viz/Mark/Aybar, to trades of international slot money, to what is already a top-5 minor league system -- that's how you do it.
    Last edited by Preacher; 06-27-2016 at 10:58 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016), bravescountry (06-27-2016), bravos4evr (06-27-2016), clvclv (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    The Padres are set to kill it as well, but I refuse to be disappointed when by one list we have 20% of the top 30 prospects and by another we have 17%, with one of those prospects being the consensus #1.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016), Preacher (06-27-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The Padres are set to kill it as well, but I refuse to be disappointed when by one list we have 20% of the top 30 prospects and by another we have 17%, with one of those prospects being the consensus #1.
    This completely.

If everything goes according to plan - the Braves and Padres will be the big winners - we are going to be lapping the majority of teams in the international market this year and only the Padres are going to get an influx like we will.

Its a home run in every sense of the word. (if they all sign :0)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    This completely.

If everything goes according to plan - the Braves and Padres will be the big winners - we are going to be lapping the majority of teams in the international market this year and only the Padres are going to get an influx like we will.

Its a home run in every sense of the word. (if they all sign :0)
    I know Preller is known for international signings, but...it's the Padres. They bungled the draft IMO. They seem to bungle a lot of their free agent signings. Until their guys sign on the dotted line, I won't be convinced that they're gonna pull in that haul.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would take Maitan over getting every single one of the next 4-5 guys.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I know Preller is known for international signings, but...it's the Padres. They bungled the draft IMO. They seem to bungle a lot of their free agent signings. Until their guys sign on the dotted line, I won't be convinced that they're gonna pull in that haul.
    so much THIS!! They butchered their draft.. who is to say they won't butcher this opportunity too.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I would take Maitan over getting every single one of the next 4-5 guys.
    Yes, but it is known that Almanzar is arguably (by a couple scouts and people) the best intl prospect. Maitan is still the best, but package him with 2 other elite prospect, it's hard to choose which one you'd want. I'm still happy with what we're going to sign and by Coppy's words "go crazy" on the international signing market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravescountry View Post
    Yes, but it is known that Almanzar is arguably (by a couple scouts and people) the best intl prospect. Maitan is still the best, but package him with 2 other elite prospect, it's hard to choose which one you'd want. I'm still happy with what we're going to sign and by Coppy's words "go crazy" on the international signing market.
    I meant that for me, it's not hard to choose. I would take Maitan alone over getting all of 2-5.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Gotta remember too, most of these guys are like 16-17 years old, who knows what kind of players they will evolve into as they age? Some will be better than their present rank, some worse and most won't even sniff the big leagues. Patience grasshoppas, patience
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits