Thread: Japan going to negative interest rates

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

Japan going to negative interest rates

The world has gone insane with economic inflating... there's not a lot of road left to kick the can. Negative interest rates is basically the last bullet left.

Our fed started all of this mess.

None of these issues ever come up in either debates because the idiots on stage don't have a clue of the ramifications... other than maybe Rand Paul and Gary Johnson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I don't know what this means - will you explain ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The world has gone insane with economic inflating... there's not a lot of road left to kick the can. Negative interest rates is basically the last bullet left.

Our fed started all of this mess.

None of these issues ever come up in either debates because the idiots on stage don't have a clue of the ramifications... other than maybe Rand Paul and Gary Johnson
    It's a bit misleading using the term "economic inflating" when the purpose is for Japan to combat low inflation.

I do agree that this policy, on its own, is treating symptoms (low inflation) and not problems (slow economic growth).

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Negative interest rates are tough to explain. Think of it as the bank may have to pay your mortgage. Our Fed didn't start this. Japan has been like our last 7 years for the last 25. To much of our country doesn't want to work or produce anything. Young people are really supportive of the Burn. Could that be because most of them don't work, therefore they don't pay taxes and they expect someone to pay their college tuition. They're a naturally existing 'crat constituency. High tax rates and high regs produce low growth which in turn produces this mess. Why Americans insist on trying the European model is beyond me.

We're a Carnival Barker in pant suit 4 year term away from being Venezuela.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VOLracious For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-05-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    Negative interest rates are tough to explain. Think of it as the bank may have to pay your mortgage. Our Fed didn't start this. Japan has been like our last 7 years for the last 25. To much of our country doesn't want to work or produce anything. Young people are really supportive of the Burn. Could that be because most of them don't work, therefore they don't pay taxes and they expect someone to pay their college tuition. They're a naturally existing 'crat constituency. High tax rates and high regs produce low growth which in turn produces this mess. Why Americans insist on trying the European model is beyond me.
    As someone who's a "young person" I find this to be bull****. We were told go to college get a good job. Know how many people I know with a college degree who work menial jobs because that's the best paying gig? Way too many. Don't get me wrong, there are deadbeats. But there are deadbeats in every generation. This myth that people odn't want to work is just that. A myth. One i'd like to see stopped because the issue isn't that we don't want to work, it's that there aren't good jobs out there. In my parents generation, and especially my grandparents generation, you could make a living working 9-5 in a factory. No major skill required just general competency. Now they want you to have a 4 year degree to do help desk support. You know what help desk support is? It's the people who go around and turn your computer on and off and make sure your mouse is plugged in. The basic of the basic. And you know who knows how to do that? Probably about 50% of all "young people"

And we live in the world of the university industrial complex. From 2002-2012 the cost of books rose 82%, 3 times the amount of inflation. From 1980-2016 we've seen public 4 year tuition increase by 300%. Why the increase that high? Inflation is the biggest part of it, but a total of 200% inflation means that there's a built in increase of 50%. Are we getting that much more out of education? Answer would be no. Are teachers being paid more. Not really. I read a number that something high (don't recall and don't care to research it this late at night) was not fulltime professors. So while full time professors may make more (still not at that rate though) there are in general less of them.

So when you hear people get fed up about student loans, they have a semi-valid point. I don't sympathize with them, I don't want their loans absolved, I want to attack the issue atit's core, why is college so expensive? Why do companies require it for menial jobs? Those are the 2 main points of contention. And as far as the people with the debt, I sympathize with them, again you're drilled that you need to go to school to get a good job. You need to and then you do what you're told, you come out and they tell you that you need experience. I avoided college because I didn't want to get myself massively in debt. If I could go back I may. But odds are I'd do things the same that I did. Because having almost no debt is pretty tits.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    Why Americans insist on trying the European model is beyond me.
    Yeah, Europe

it's such an awful model

would hate to live like Europeans.

wish we could be more like the small gov't Somolia with their freedom and lack of regulations
    Last edited by goldfly; 02-05-2016 at 01:54 AM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    I have yet to see a starving Doctor, Lawyer, or anyone with a degree in mechanical engineering. Well I have but its because they were spending all their money on ex-wives, strippers, or drugs.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I have yet to see a starving Doctor, Lawyer, or anyone with a degree in mechanical engineering. Well I have but its because they were spending all their money on ex-wives, strippers, or drugs.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (02-05-2016), sturg33 (02-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    You named 2 jobs with graduate degrees. Good job!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-06-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    As someone who's a "young person" I find this to be bull****. We were told go to college get a good job. Know how many people I know with a college degree who work menial jobs because that's the best paying gig? Way too many. Don't get me wrong, there are deadbeats. But there are deadbeats in every generation. This myth that people odn't want to work is just that. A myth. One i'd like to see stopped because the issue isn't that we don't want to work, it's that there aren't good jobs out there. In my parents generation, and especially my grandparents generation, you could make a living working 9-5 in a factory. No major skill required just general competency. Now they want you to have a 4 year degree to do help desk support. You know what help desk support is? It's the people who go around and turn your computer on and off and make sure your mouse is plugged in. The basic of the basic. And you know who knows how to do that? Probably about 50% of all "young people"

And we live in the world of the university industrial complex. From 2002-2012 the cost of books rose 82%, 3 times the amount of inflation. From 1980-2016 we've seen public 4 year tuition increase by 300%. Why the increase that high? Inflation is the biggest part of it, but a total of 200% inflation means that there's a built in increase of 50%. Are we getting that much more out of education? Answer would be no. Are teachers being paid more. Not really. I read a number that something high (don't recall and don't care to research it this late at night) was not fulltime professors. So while full time professors may make more (still not at that rate though) there are in general less of them.

So when you hear people get fed up about student loans, they have a semi-valid point. I don't sympathize with them, I don't want their loans absolved, I want to attack the issue atit's core, why is college so expensive? Why do companies require it for menial jobs? Those are the 2 main points of contention. And as far as the people with the debt, I sympathize with them, again you're drilled that you need to go to school to get a good job. You need to and then you do what you're told, you come out and they tell you that you need experience. I avoided college because I didn't want to get myself massively in debt. If I could go back I may. But odds are I'd do things the same that I did. Because having almost no debt is pretty tits.
    I generally agree here. The cost of college has gotten way too high... and we can point the finger directly at federal loans as the cause.

When the government gets in the loans business, it basically guarantees access to everyone, because they will pretty much give a loan to everyone. Since everyone has access to the money, the universities can freely raise tuition rates.

If you got rid of the federal unsubsidized loans, then less people would be able to afford to go to college. Which would then force the universities to lower their tuition rates to allow more access for people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I generally agree here. The cost of college has gotten way too high... and we can point the finger directly at federal loans as the cause.

When the government gets in the loans business, it basically guarantees access to everyone, because they will pretty much give a loan to everyone. Since everyone has access to the money, the universities can freely raise tuition rates.

If you got rid of the federal unsubsidized loans, then less people would be able to afford to go to college. Which would then force the universities to lower their tuition rates to allow more access for people
    I'd largely agree. I'm a fan of the system where the government offers free education to the select few. So lets say in an area like NJ you'd have 3 public paid schools where the top 1% of applicants get in, and it's totally free. It would be small, but its' the way to do it. Those will be the people who go on to higher levels. Private universities and state universities could (and would) still exist, but with no aid from the federal government at all.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I'd largely agree. I'm a fan of the system where the government offers free education to the select few. So lets say in an area like NJ you'd have 3 public paid schools where the top 1% of applicants get in, and it's totally free. It would be small, but its' the way to do it. Those will be the people who go on to higher levels. Private universities and state universities could (and would) still exist, but with no aid from the federal government at all.
    I like Bernie better than most of what I've seen so far, but probably not for what some of you might think. I like his attitude and the fact that I don't think it'll be the "same old BS" under him. There's no way he can do all of his programs, not should he, but it would be nice to see someone trying to help people help themselves, which I think is at the heart of his "deal". Think about the New Deal. That used a lot of American dollars (tax and bonds) to help people, but it wasn't something for nothing. Sure some of the jobs under the New Deal could be a bit silly from time to time, but the bottom line was in order to get money you had to do work. Work is good for people, like veggies when you're a kid, you may not like them but they're still good for you. I would be much more in favor of limited educational help for students but if they don't want to pay back that help they have to do something, work in soup kitchens, paint houses, clean up damaged areas, plant trees in areas where they've been clear cut or out west where there are always fires burning thousands of acres. I don't really care what it is, just do something to get something. LBJ's social programs were the bad ones, not FDRs, IMO anyway.

On the other side the only guy I see who fits a somewhat similar description of Bernie's is Trump. Sure he's crazy, in fact he's well beyond it, to be honest he's the kind of crazy that Glenn Beck hears and says, Donald, WTF?????????? Personally I'd rather have someone who says what he thinks/means, even if you have to slap him once in a while to bring him back to lucidity than a snake in the grass like Rafael Cruz or Hillary. Hillary scares me because she's, well, Hillary. Look at all the crap she had to pull just to tie in Iowa. Is there anything she wouldn't do for power? Cruz scares the hell out of me because since he pays lip service to Christianity I'll guarantee you Christians will be following him and voting for him because they think he really means that stuff he says and he'll be laughing at them all the way to the White House. Did you see what the one older Duck guy said about him and "the end of the world". IMO both Cruz and Hillary are snakes, each bred to deceive the blind lemmings of their party. Everyone should just say no to both of their sorry arses, IMO.

How long ago did I say Trump vs. Bernie? How's that prediction looking now?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

The National Student Defense Loan program was hatched after WW II and put a lot of GIs through college and that program continued for a long time and was expanded. I was a beneficiary of the program. I think the big problem is that colleges are no longer these spartan institutions, but seem to cater to the whim of the "customer" or student for a very high fee. Plus, college administrations have become increasingly bloated. That's not to say that loans haven't added to the problem at the margins, but the higher education system really has to change and change a lot.