Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/14/2013: Phillies @ Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    In all likelihood if this one is rained out, they would play it tomorrow as both teams are off. The Phillies don't come back to Atlanta until the final series of the year, and the Braves certainly don't want a doubleheader that weekend certainly not with the post-season looming.
    I think we'd prefer the latter personally. We'll have extra players on hand (Sept. call-ups) to play it (and should have already won our division). But I agree that we wouldn't want to play tomorrow our off day.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Agree. I do not want a double header the last series of the season.
    Besides, I am psyched for baseball tonight...

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I think we'd prefer the latter personally. We'll have extra players on hand (Sept. call-ups) to play it (and should have already won our division). But I agree that we wouldn't want to play tomorrow our off day.
    They were talking on tv, that they probably wouldn't want to risk it the last weekend of the season and it would be played tomorrow instead. However, that appears to be a moot point, because the rain has already slackened off and they should be playing shortly.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    but if they play in Sept we'll have Uggla back, with new eyes, its a no brainer Sarcasm

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Any word of the likelihood of,getting this one in? Or a potential start time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Lol. Is this where someone tells me about "situational baseball" again? That's quaint, like when my grandma used to take the phone off the hook during lightning storms so the house wouldn't get hit. Situational baseball does not exist over the course of 162 games, and people that advocate one player over another because of their ability to "put it in play" miss the point. I don't dispute that uggla's been hit & miss this year, but scratch singles don't impress me, regardless of situation. Mickey Mantle once said about Pete Rose that "if he (Mantle) had gone to work every day trying to hit scratch singles, he'd have worn a skirt." Don't confuse "contact" with production.
    If you think my point was only about situational hitting (or contact for that matter), then you missed part of it. I noted that Pastornicky wouldn't need to hit 21 homers to put up a similar OPS as Uggla too. And Pastornicky also brings speed to steal bases.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Any word of the likelihood of,getting this one in? Or a potential start time?
    Listening to the radio rain delay show, they probably will get it in, the rain is lightening up, no word on the potential start time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tvsportscaster For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    They were talking on tv, that they probably wouldn't want to risk it the last weekend of the season and it would be played tomorrow instead. However, that appears to be a moot point, because the rain has already slackened off and they should be playing shortly.
    I know, that's why I edited my earlier post saying playing tomorrow wouldn't be good. I was okay with playing a DH in late Sept. though for the reasons I previously noted. I figured it would give us a chance to see someone like Mejia and Poveda (pitcher) play that might not otherwise. Which is fine by me once we lock up our division.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 08-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    another L coming?
    let's hope the trend of the last 2 rain delayed games doesn't continue

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdawg2309 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If you think my point was only about situational hitting (or contact for that matter), then you missed part of it. I noted that Pastornicky wouldn't need to hit 21 homers to put up a similar OPS as Uggla too. And Pastornicky also brings speed to steal bases.
    Stealing bases is dumb. Unnecessary. I'm a Moneyball guy through & through. Listen, Uggla's been frustrating. No doubt. I think this LASIK will do him some good, and I hope it will, because when right, he hits home runs. That's why we paid him. I get really frustrated w people who talk about his batting average, because we didn't pay him to go 3-4 with three singles. I like Pastornicky, I think he's a better option off the bench than Janni. I just roll my eyes at people who think the key to winning baseball is contact. Playing for one run an inning is a coward's mentality.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Stealing bases is dumb. Unnecessary. I'm a Moneyball guy through & through. Listen, Uggla's been frustrating. No doubt. I think this LASIK will do him some good, and I hope it will, because when right, he hits home runs. That's why we paid him. I get really frustrated w people who talk about his batting average, because we didn't pay him to go 3-4 with three singles. I like Pastornicky, I think he's a better option off the bench than Janni. I just roll my eyes at people who think the key to winning baseball is contact. Playing for one run an inning is a coward's mentality.
    I don't disagree with the risk/reward angle of what you're saying, but you have to make contact to hit a HR and Uggla isn't making contact consistently. Sure, he still hits the big fly, but that is just about the only thing he brings to the table. You think any Moneyball organization would be paying Uggla what he's getting paid?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Moneyball guy talking about HRs? Did you even read Moneyball?

The problem with a lot of sabermetrics is that it assumes all runs are created equally, and all games are equally important.

Scoring 1 run off Kershaw in the NLCS is harder and more valuable than scoring 1 run off some scrub at the back end of the BP in September when the division is clinched.

When the Braves are down 2-1 in game 1 of the NLCS and Mac leads off with a double like he did a few nights ago, the rest of the lineup needs to score him. It is much easier to hit a grounder to 2B and a sac fly off Kershaw than it is to touch him up for a HR.

Most of the time it is best for players to take borderline pitches in an attempt to draw a walk rather than make weak contact, or swing for an extra base hit, but in some situtations contact needs to be made.

If you can't understand how sabemetrics fail at the micro level, then there isn't really any discussion to be had.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-14-2013), bravesnumberone (08-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I believe there is a place for stealing bases. But I agree that we shouldn't be sending runners who don't have a very good stolen base percentage (including their track record). Plus it also goes back to my situational point you seem to totally dismiss. So I do think there are times where it's good to go for the stolen base. Otis Nixon was one of my favorite Braves back in the day.

That said, I actually appreciate Moneyball and I hate all the bunting that Fredi does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't disagree with the risk/reward angle of what you're saying, but you have to make contact to hit a HR and Uggla isn't making contact consistently. Sure, he still hits the big fly, but that is just about the only thing he brings to the table. You think any Moneyball organization would be paying Uggla what he's getting paid?
    Yeah, if they couldn't move him. Listen, the guy hit 21 hr blind. He walks a good bit, and his eyesight is an issue. As a guy who's eyesight went pretty much midseason playing college ball, I completely identify with that whole "duck out of the way of a curveball" thing. I sympathize with the guy. The guys hit 76 hr's as a Brave. That's not bad at all. And that in and of itself is value.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Im fairly certain we paid Uggla to be. .240-.260 average guy, but even with the home runs and walks he's around .180.

Jesus he's so terrible I would have accepted .210-.225
    Forever Fredi

Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Word on the start time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Moneyball guy talking about HRs? Did you even read Moneyball?

The problem with a lot of sabermetrics is that it assumes all runs are created equally, and all games are equally important.

Scoring 1 run off Kershaw in the NLCS is harder and more valuable than scoring 1 run off some scrub at the back end of the BP in September when the division is clinched.

When the Braves are down 2-1 in game 1 of the NLCS and Mac leads off with a double like he did a few nights ago, the rest of the lineup needs to score him. It is much easier to hit a grounder to 2B and a sac fly off Kershaw than it is to touch him up for a HR.

Most of the time it is best for players to take borderline pitches in an attempt to draw a walk rather than make weak contact, or swing for an extra base hit, but in some situtations contact needs to be made.

If you can't understand how sabemetrics fail at the micro level, then there isn't really any discussion to be had.
    Don't talk down to me, dick. I understand sabermetrics. I also understand how runs are different in different situations. I also understand that if you play to only score one run against Kershaw, chances are that's all you're going to do. If you only get one, be fine with it, but don't change everything you do because you think the pitcher you're facing is elite. Playing for one, particularly in early innings, playoffs or no, gets you beat more often than not.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Let's keep it civil guys. Thanks.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Im fairly certain we paid Uggla to be. .240-.260 average guy, but even with the home runs and walks he's around .180.

Jesus he's so terrible I would have accepted .210-.225
    Batting average doesn't matter. His obp is lower than i'd like, and thats disappointing, but batting average is archaic. I'm more concerned over whether or not he eats too much garlic than I am with his batting average. He strikes out too much, and his obp is lower than normal for him, but batting average just takes up a spot on his baseball card at this point. We as a people have WAY more accurate measure of his productivity than batting average. Now, you could say that those way more accurate measures are also lacking, and i'd agree with you, but don't tell me about batting average. You're smarter than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Let's keep it civil guys. Thanks.
    My bad, Keif. I don't like being talked down to. Won't happen again. Going stir crazy waiting for game.