Thread: I'm Back

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I'm Back

I didn't see any plaintive threads bemoaning my two-week absence, but rest assured I am fine after a two-week mission trip to Martin, Slovakia, where a group of us demolished the insides of the second-floor of a communist era building so that it can be remodeled into chemistry/physics lab space for the Lutheran high school there. if anyone here ever gets a chance to go behind the old Iron Curtain, especially to a smaller city, do it. Very illuminating. Soviet-style communism must have been one of the most mind-numbing political/economic systems ever hatched. Slovakia is kind of caught between the old and new, with a lot of the older generations still committed to retaining some measure of the pre-1989 system. It's more "Eastern looking" in mindset than is the Czech Republic. Millennial generation really wants to get the place in gear, so we'll see what happens.

Also spent a day-and-a-half in Krakow. Extremely interesting. Toured Auschwitz and Birkenau. After seeing that place, I urge no one in here to ever use the "Hitler" or "Nazi" analogy about our politics. It only trivializes the absolute evil that existed there.

I've got a bunch of pics (well, actually some other group members took them and allowed me to download their files). I'll try to get them up in the next week.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-30-2016), Julio3000 (01-30-2016), Runnin (01-30-2016), sturg33 (01-31-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I had no idea you had left.

Did you pass out Braves hats to kids and told them to visit chopcountry.com?
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    I had no idea you had left.

Did you pass out Braves hats to kids and told them to visit chopcountry.com?
    No. But I did see a Braves' cap being worn by someone in the Frankfurt airport.

I didn't announce my departure, but I post fairly often and wanted everyone to know that I'm alright.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Runnin (01-30-2016)