Josh Bell, 1B, Pittsburgh Pirates
    Clint Frazier, OF, Cleveland Indians
    Cody Reed, LHP, Cincinnati Reds
    Willson Contreras, C, Chicago Cubs
    Raul Adalberto Mondesi, SS, Kansas City Royals

and beyond:

52, Jose Peraza, 2B, Cincinnati Reds
    87. Kolby Allard, LHP, Atlanta Braves
    Last edited by rico43; 02-03-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    See where Brady Aiken has fallen to 84, Mark Appel to 92. Such are the risks of investing in a pitcher at No. 1.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It's just so difficult to take this list seriously when Aaron Blair isn't on it. I can't imagine why he wouldn't be considered a top 100 prospect, considering his performance last year and his pedigree from before that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    See where Brady Aiken has fallen to 84, Mark Appel to 92. Such are the risks of investing in a pitcher at No. 1.
    I don't think Aiken fell, did he? He hasn't played in the minors yet, so I think that's his first time on any list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Appel isnt a good example. He wasnt even good in college. Houston was just dumb as hell for drafting a reliever #1 overall. Luke Hochevar was the same thing except I think he was good in college.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Appel isnt a good example. He wasnt even good in college. Houston was just dumb as hell for drafting a reliever #1 overall. Luke Hochevar was the same thing except I think he was good in college.
    Appel was pretty darn good in college. You could argue he wasn't a true #1 pick, but his senior year he had a 2.12 ERA with a K/9 of about 11.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    This is out of left field, but I just can't express how happy it makes me to know that we are on such a strong upswing, but the Nationals window is closing so quickly. Heck, we have the resources (maybe) to sign a Bryce Harper in the next couple of years. They will not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    This is out of left field, but I just can't express how happy it makes me to know that we are on such a strong upswing, but the Nationals window is closing so quickly. Heck, we have the resources (maybe) to sign a Bryce Harper in the next couple of years. They will not.
    everything they did this offseason was dumb, too.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    everything they did this offseason was dumb, too.
    I wouldn't call the Nats offseason dumb.. just very unproductive. they at least held onto future prospects and lowered their payroll in hopes of having money to sign Bryce.. But the real dumb move happened last year at the deadline and they haven't recovered. imagine if they pulled the Cespy deal instead of Paps.. No doubt they win the East and who knows from there..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I wouldn't call the Nats offseason dumb.. just very unproductive. they at least held onto future prospects and lowered their payroll in hopes of having money to sign Bryce.. But the real dumb move happened last year at the deadline and they haven't recovered. imagine if they pulled the Cespy deal instead of Paps.. No doubt they win the East and who knows from there..
    unproductive with a dash of stupid..(dusty baker).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-04-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    unproductive with a dash of stupid..(dusty baker).
    ok, you got me there.. going cheap on Bud Black and instead getting Dusty Baker was pretty much a STUPID move!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    ok, you got me there.. going cheap on Bud Black and instead getting Dusty Baker was pretty much a STUPID move!
    I'm quite sure Dusty and Harper are going to see eye-to-eye on EVERYTHING.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-04-2016), yeezus (02-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Yeah, Luke was good in college

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    "Good"? Come on now, at least research a little bit...

Hochevar won the Roger Clemens Award as a Junior (College Pitcher Of The Year) - 15-3, 2.26 ERA, and 154 Ks against aluminum bats while playing in the toughest conference in the country. DMGM and the Royals didn't hesitate for one second when they got the chance to take him #1 after he chose not to sign with the Dodgers - meaning he was taken #1 TWICE - and I defy anyone to prove that any team (or GM) has been more successful in the draft over the last 10+ years. It's easy to say that he hasn't lived up to that in hindsight, but consider this...

There were a total of 4 players drafted in the First Round of that draft that have been more successful...four:

Evan Longoria (#3), Clayton Kershaw (#11), Tim Lincecum (#10), and Max Scherzer (#11). That 2006 draft happens to be the same one that the Braves "stole" Cody Johnson at #24 by the way.

Appel went 10-2 with a 2.56 ERA his Junior year and also was Pitcher Of The Year. After he passed on Pittsburgh's offer when he slid because of his bonus demands, he went back to school and went 10-4 with a 2.12 ERA and 130 Ks in 106.1 IP before the Astros caved on his bonus demands even though he was a Senior. That meant that he wasn't just drafted #1 twice in a row, he was (in effect) drafted #1 twice in a row by the same team.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Thought I remembered Appel's strong season. And, no matter when he was drafted, Aiken's star has fallen in the last two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "Good"? Come on now, at least research a little bit...

Hochevar won the Roger Clemens Award as a Junior (College Pitcher Of The Year) - 15-3, 2.26 ERA, and 154 Ks against aluminum bats while playing in the toughest conference in the country. DMGM and the Royals didn't hesitate for one second when they got the chance to take him #1 after he chose not to sign with the Dodgers - meaning he was taken #1 TWICE - and I defy anyone to prove that any team (or GM) has been more successful in the draft over the last 10+ years. It's easy to say that he hasn't lived up to that in hindsight, but consider this...

There were a total of 4 players drafted in the First Round of that draft that have been more successful...four:

Evan Longoria (#3), Clayton Kershaw (#11), Tim Lincecum (#10), and Max Scherzer (#11). That 2006 draft happens to be the same one that the Braves "stole" Cody Johnson at #24 by the way.

Appel went 10-2 with a 2.56 ERA his Junior year and also was Pitcher Of The Year. After he passed on Pittsburgh's offer when he slid because of his bonus demands, he went back to school and went 10-4 with a 2.12 ERA and 130 Ks in 106.1 IP before the Astros caved on his bonus demands even though he was a Senior. That meant that he wasn't just drafted #1 twice in a row, he was (in effect) drafted #1 twice in a row by the same team.
    1. I will admit to not looking up Appel's senior year stats but I think you need to research your own post if you want to criticize me for it.
    2. I said Hochevar was good in college. The "I think" part should tell you I admitted to not looking that part up and just going off memory.
    3. Challenge accepted, it wont be this second but I will show you better drafting teams since Dayton Moore got to KC. Its going to be tough to find better player/prospects than legends like Hunter Dozier, Christian Colon, Bubba Starling, Kyle Zimmer, Brandon Finegan, and Aaron Crow.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    1. I will admit to not looking up Appel's senior year stats but I think you need to research your own post if you want to criticize me for it.
    2. I said Hochevar was good in college. The "I think" part should tell you I admitted to not looking that part up and just going off memory.
    3. Challenge accepted, it wont be this second but I will show you better drafting teams since Dayton Moore got to KC. Its going to be tough to find better player/prospects than legends like Hunter Dozier, Christian Colon, Bubba Starling, Kyle Zimmer, Brandon Finegan, and Aaron Crow.

Mike Moustakas (1st), Danny Duffy (3rd), Greg Holland (10th), David Lough (11th)

Eric Hosmer (1st), Mike Montgomery (Supplemental), Johnny Giovatella (2nd)

Aaron Crow (1st), Wil Myers (3rd)

Christian Colon (1st)

Starling (1st), Terrance Gore (20th)

Kyle Zimmer (1st)

Sean Manaea (Competitive Balance) - Dozier was picked so they'd have flexibility

Brandon Finnegan (1st)

Ashe Russell (1st)

The Royals simply don't "miss" on their early picks under Dayton. We all know it's a collaborative process, but the GM usually gets the credit from the media. That's 3 players drafted in the First Round who start in the majors today (Moustakas, Hosmer, Finnegan), and 3 very good relievers (Holland, Crow (120 ERA+), and Duffy) plus Myers taken in the Third Round. Giovatella will be the Angels' starting 2B and Finnegan will be in Cincy's rotation.

Manaea is the #8 ranked LHSP (both he at #68 and Zimmer at #65 are ranked quite a bit higher than Kolby Allard). Colon's likely to be their starting 2B at some point this season, Zimmer's likely to crack their rotation at some point this season, and Starling's likely to be their starting RF next season. The only way you can truly measure whether a pick is a success is whether they make the majors since there are so few that ever do. I understand that people want to knock Starling, but they said from Day One that he was VERY raw and that he would take a long time to develop. He's finally starting to do just that. Will he be an All-Star? That's obviously highly unlikely. It does appear that he's going to become at least a serviceable regular with above-average pop and defense.

Your opinion may differ, but it's awfully tough to find many "whiffs" since DMGM took over.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Mike Moustakas (1st), Danny Duffy (3rd), Greg Holland (10th), David Lough (11th)

Eric Hosmer (1st), Mike Montgomery (Supplemental), Johnny Giovatella (2nd)

Aaron Crow (1st), Wil Myers (3rd)

Christian Colon (1st)

Starling (1st), Terrance Gore (20th)

Kyle Zimmer (1st)

Sean Manaea (Competitive Balance) - Dozier was picked so they'd have flexibility

Brandon Finnegan (1st)

Ashe Russell (1st)

The Royals simply don't "miss" on their early picks under Dayton. We all know it's a collaborative process, but the GM usually gets the credit from the media. That's 3 players drafted in the First Round who start in the majors today (Moustakas, Hosmer, Finnegan), and 3 very good relievers (Holland, Crow (120 ERA+), and Duffy) plus Myers taken in the Third Round. Giovatella will be the Angels' starting 2B and Finnegan will be in Cincy's rotation.

Manaea is the #8 ranked LHSP (both he at #68 and Zimmer at #65 are ranked quite a bit higher than Kolby Allard). Colon's likely to be their starting 2B at some point this season, Zimmer's likely to crack their rotation at some point this season, and Starling's likely to be their starting RF next season. The only way you can truly measure whether a pick is a success is whether they make the majors since there are so few that ever do. I understand that people want to knock Starling, but they said from Day One that he was VERY raw and that he would take a long time to develop. He's finally starting to do just that. Will he be an All-Star? That's obviously highly unlikely. It does appear that he's going to become at least a serviceable regular with above-average pop and defense.

Your opinion may differ, but it's awfully tough to find many "whiffs" since DMGM took over.
    It's HARD to completely miss when you pick where they picked. It's not enough to say Moustakas was a 1st round pick. Mouse was picked second overall in the first round in 2007 (1/2). Alex Gordon was 1/2 in 2005. Hochevar was 1/1 in 2006. Hosmer 1/3 in 2008. Crow 1/12 in 2009. Colon 1/4 in 2010. Starling 1/5 in 2011. Zimmer 1/5 in 2012. Dozier 1/8 in 2013. Finnegan 1/17 in 2014. Russell 1/21 in 2015.

And you have to keep in mind that position within the first round translates throughout the draft. So for almost 10 years the Royals were picking near the top of the draft AND picking near the top of the second round.

They SHOULD have become good. But, now they have had their moment in the sun and they are about to begin the fade back into mediocrity if not another ten year run at the top of the draft. Their picks since 2010 have been pretty underwhelming.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    It's HARD to completely miss when you pick where they picked. It's not enough to say Moustakas was a 1st round pick. Mouse was picked second overall in the first round in 2007 (1/2). Alex Gordon was 1/2 in 2005. Hochevar was 1/1 in 2006. Hosmer 1/3 in 2008. Crow 1/12 in 2009. Colon 1/4 in 2010. Starling 1/5 in 2011. Zimmer 1/5 in 2012. Dozier 1/8 in 2013. Finnegan 1/17 in 2014. Russell 1/21 in 2015.

And you have to keep in mind that position within the first round translates throughout the draft. So for almost 10 years the Royals were picking near the top of the draft AND picking near the top of the second round.

They SHOULD have become good. But, now they have had their moment in the sun and they are about to begin the fade back into mediocrity if not another ten year run at the top of the draft. Their picks since 2010 have been pretty underwhelming.

Right. Tell that to all those other teams who consistently pick in the first 10 of drafts regularly. It's simply not as easy as many people like to point out.

Between 1987 and 2008, only 39.1% of players drafted in the First Round had "productive careers" at the MLB level (meaning they contributed for at least 3 seasons). Just to make the numbers easy to round, 30 1st Round picks x 21 years = 630 players. 246 of the players taken in the First Round over that period (roughly 12 per season) had 3 year MLB careers - regardless of where they were picked. If you look at the success rates of the few teams that produced those kinds of players while consistently drafting late in those rounds and finding players like that in the later rounds (the Braves and Cardinals as two examples), there are FAR MORE "misses" than most people think.

(LINK - http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ks-will-click/)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

Lol, they had their run??? I would gladly swap the last 10 years we've had, for the last 10 years the Royals have had. Not to mention, they're stacked for a good while on talent and are spending like 30+ more million than we are.

Not sure what is behind your irrational hate of Moore and the Royals is, but they've done a good job of rebuilding a franchise that was going nowhere with no talent before Moore took over.