Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakout and Bust Prospects- 2016 Predictions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts

Breakout and Bust Prospects- 2016 Predictions

I'm interested to see who on the farm people thing will breakout this year and who will spiral into obscurity. For the purposes of this, to be considered a prospect the player must currently have his rookie eligibility and be under the age of 30.

Here are mine.

Breakout Predictions:

Lucas Sims- This is a little bit of a cheat. Sims ended last season on a high note and schooled the AFL. However there's still a lot of doubt out there as to whether he'll keep it up. I think he will. I'm predicting this is the year he puts his control issues behind him and coverts the raw stuff into production. I predict he'll be a top 50 prospect by midseason, he'll get a rotation spot in Atlanta about the same time, and he'll be having people wondering if he could become a TOR starter.

Braxton Davidson- The power started to show last year with 10 HRs and 23 doubles. Still, he struggles with making enough contact which is something he'll need to improve on (and I think he will). However, 84 BBs in under 500 PAs by a 19 year old in Rome is staggering. For comparison, Heyward had 49 in similar time there. The power is there for Davidson. No one who watches him doubts that. He's also got an advanced eye for his age and is willing to take pitches. Probably too willing. I think this is the year he breaks out and becomes a top prospect. I'm predicting a big jump in power as his raw tools start to translate into more balls being driven. I'm also predicting him to become more aggressive in the zone this year. His walks will drop but he'll get more hits. You might even see his strikeout rate drop a tad if he's taking fewer strikes in the zone. I don't think 20 HRs is an unreasonable goal for him this year though 15 might be more likely.

Dustin Peterson- Peterson was mashing the ball before the bus wreck. He came back quickly but never regained his previous form. With the winter to get healthy I think Peterson takes a step forward this year. The tools are there and he had started to turn them into production last year. I'm predicting he gets back on track and shows why scouts have always liked him.

Bust Predictions:

I'll admit these were somewhat harder to do as I'm fairly optimistic about a lot of our kids. I do not put a high degree of confidence in some of these. Still, here I go...

Jason Hursh- Can you call a pitcher coming off a season with an ERA over 5 a bust candidate? Still, he was our minor league pitcher of the year two years ago IIRC and is still listed in our top 30 prospects most places. I think this is the year that ends. Hursh never developed enough of an arsenal to start. That coupled with way too many baserunners made his conversion to a reliever necessary. I had hoped that a move to the pen would allow him to feature his one plus pitch, that sinking fastball, and see some success. However that wasn't the case. I predict him to continue his struggles and to be spun off for minor value (see Gilmartin).

Tyrell Jenkins- The K/BB ratio scares me. For a guy with his stuff it should be better. He needs to find a way to increase his K's while dropping his walks or he could start running into trouble. I'm predicting he gets off to a slow start in AAA and gets passed over for other pitchers when starters are needed. He's in almost everyone's top 10 Braves prospects now but I'm predicting he drops. I still think he has a good chance to transition his pure stuff into better peripherals but I can also easily see him struggling.

Chris Ellis- I think he'll start the season in Mississippi's rotation but will run into issues. He's a flyball pitcher who walks too many batters. That's not a great combo. I don't see him falling completely off the map but he could end up slated for the pen.

So who do you guys have as breakout and bust candidates?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My biggest break out prospect for the organization is John Coppolella. Hope he'll continue to make a good impact.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-12-2016), UNCBlue012 (02-12-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I will say Riley has a monster season. He started slow last year then when nuts after he adjusted. As far as bust candidates go, if Touki doesn't show some signs of control he will definitely be our top candidate. With our lack of outfield options we really really need Davidson to have a big year and swing at more pitches in the zone. He has a ton of patience but that can be a double edge sword at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Moving from the rookie leagues to a full season league is one of the biggest hurdles a prospect has to get over. Probably bigger than AA which often gets mentioned by scouts as the level that separates the wheat from the chaff.

So the group I'll be keeping an eye on will be the guys in Rome: Allard, Soroka, Yepez, Acuna, Riley, Herbert.

Not sure if Isranel Wilson goes there. I'm guessing not.

But the six I listed will fly up the prospects lists if they do well in Rome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    My choice for top sleeper in the organization is Josh Graham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Allard's back will have alot of eyes on it to. If he stays healthy he has ace written all over him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Biggest breakout season:

Mallex Smith: I'm not sure you can call a season with an average over .290 with anything less than a solid season, but I think he will have a huge impact in the upcoming year. I like his skill set and I bet his glove catches up to his already incredible speed.

Kolby Allard: He's the player I'm most excited about in our system. His professional stint was really short, but his makeup, repertoire and velocity is just so good. The thought of a Teheran, Allard, Newcomb led rotation (depends on Teheran) in the future is beyond exciting!

Austin Riley: This dude is going to have a monster season, I can feel it. He was excellent last year, so I don't think anyone is discounting what he can do. But I think he destroy the ball. His high swing percentage is a little scary, but he seems to have excellent pitch recognition. If he can keep the walk-rate up, we could have a Dan Uggla (FLORIDA MARLINS) type of guy.

Honorable mentions: Swanson, Sims, Albies.

Bust season:

Tyrell Jenkins: I like his stuff, but his K/BB scares me as well. I think he will start well, but hitters begin to figure him out.

Touki Toussaint: I'm praying I'm wrong here. I think I very well could be, but this is a predictions thread and I have to give a devil's advocate view to everything. I think as talented as he is, his numbers scare the hell out of me. It could be his numbers arrived where they are because he hasn't been able to use every pitch, or he could be learning. Maybe he's just not very good. I guess we will see! (Please be good)

Rio Ruiz: One of the darlings of the Gattis trade, I was really hopeful he could be the man owning the hot corner for years to come, but Riley had a woeful season last year. I know one season isn't fully indicative, but watching him, his swing was weak and he hit more grounders to the side than I ever want to see in the majors from one of our players.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    we may need to define 'Bust out'. I interpret this as someone who maybe is not on the radar (not a top 15/20 team prospect) that makes a case for himself to be on that list.. or is this just who is going to kick ass this season.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Breakout- Fried, Acuna, Touki, Jenkins
    Bust- Sims, Davidson, Soroka

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    I'm not of the belief that any prospect under 22-23 can really "bust", especially after one season of poor performance. So that rules out Touki, Davidson, Riley,etc.

Breakout:

Touki - I have seen a few videos of this guy pitch and its crazy. I don't think his numbers will match his stuff, but I think he'll start to trend in the right direction
    Davidson
    Jenkins
    Fried

Bust:

Mallex
    Sims

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Breakout:
    Touki Toussaint
    Rio Ruiz (maybe not a full 'breakout' but will have a good year and be considered a good prospect again)
    Max Fried

Bust:
    Mallex Smith
    Tyrell Jenkins
    Dustin Peterson

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Breakout: Sims, Davidson, Winkler (if he counts), Fried, Newcomb
    Bust: Jenkins, Ruiz, Hursh, Ellis
    Last edited by praeceps93; 02-12-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    we may need to define 'Bust out'. I interpret this as someone who maybe is not on the radar (not a top 15/20 team prospect) that makes a case for himself to be on that list.. or is this just who is going to kick ass this season.
    Personally, I think it's someone who jumps his status tremendously and takes that next big step. It could be Newcomb shaking the control issues and becoming a top 5 prospect. It could be Fried bouncing back from TJ to look like he's the next Cole Hamels. It could be a fringe guy who explodes and becomes a legit prospect. I don't think there's any real restriction on it. Just someone who is going to take a big step forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I've seen Mallex on a few lists but I don't see him as a big bust candidate. I wonder if this is relating to Peraza fizzling a bit. They're really different players though. Mallex has a gear on the basepaths that Peraza doesn't. True 80 speed. That's paired with a really good ability to get on base. Mallex doesn't just hit for average, he's willing to work the count and take a walk. I don't see any reason why he wont continue to do what he does. If he can't ever master center field then he wont reach his potential but I don't see him flaming out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've seen Mallex on a few lists but I don't see him as a big bust candidate. I wonder if this is relating to Peraza fizzling a bit. They're really different players though. Mallex has a gear on the basepaths that Peraza doesn't. True 80 speed. That's paired with a really good ability to get on base. Mallex doesn't just hit for average, he's willing to work the count and take a walk. I don't see any reason why he wont continue to do what he does. If he can't ever master center field then he wont reach his potential but I don't see him flaming out.
    I personally don't think he's going to hit for a high average in the majors, and I think his defense will be around average. Just an opinion, I obviously hope I'm wrong.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Breakouts: Newcomb, Blair (can't believe more haven't mentioned him), Herbert (ditto), Riley

Busts: Mallex, Toussaint, Ruiz, Hursh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You could argue that Hursh is already a bust.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I personally don't think he's going to hit for a high average in the majors, and I think his defense will be around average. Just an opinion, I obviously hope I'm wrong.
    That's always a risk with a speedy, slap hitter. It's not always easy to tell from stats how many of their hits are legitimate knocks and how many are the result of inferior minor league defenders not making plays that are routine for major leaguers.

Here's my thing on Mallex, the guy's always hit. He destroyed AA last year earning a promotion. At AAA he got off to a really, really slow start but made adjustments and started raking again. He hit .336 in the month of August. Plus, he's almost always had a double digit BB% which is huge for a guy with his skill set.

To me he looks like a Juan Pierre or Dee Gordon clone. With maybe a better batting eye than either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You could argue that Hursh is already a bust.
    I would say he's already a bust but he has the potential to bust even harder. At one point he was a first rounder who was supposed to be a solid starter for us. A college guy without much risk. He was our minor league pitcher of the year. Then last year happened and now he's a relief prospect. I think this year takes him from relief prospect to the organization giving up on him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I am intrigued by Mallex, and do think he will be a solid major league player. Speed is a tool that puts a lot of pressure even on MLB defenders. If he is willing take walk I think his numbers will translate. I hope he will be a good OF, but even as an adequate OF, being on base a lot and making a defense/pitcher think as much about you as about the hitter is a valuable skill. I don't know if he will be a star, but I believe he will be a strong contributor by getting on base with regularity as a table setter.