Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Scalia dead

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    It would of been kinda nice if there had been a bit of a pause before it went all political. His body has barely had time to get cold. Course it couldn't happen being who he was and where we are now...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Sure they would and should.
    Why are you and others speaking as something as fact when there has never been precedent of it happening before this time where all of a sudden I hear the same group that tell me they "love the constitution" are the ones saying it should sit vacant for a year? Why aren't they going to do their constitutional duty of confirming the justices that Obama was constitutionally and elected to do?

It's bull**** for either party ever to say it should leave a seat on the ****ing Supreme Court vacant for a year
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    It would of been kinda nice if there had been a bit of a pause before it went all political. His body has barely had time to get cold. Course it couldn't happen being who he was and where we are now...
    To quote him

"Get over it"
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Why are you and others speaking as something as fact when there has never been precedent of it happening before this time where all of a sudden I hear the same group that tell me they "love the constitution" are the ones saying it should sit vacant for a year? Why aren't they going to do their constitutional duty of confirming the justices that Obama was constitutionally and elected to do?

It's bull**** for either party ever to say it should leave a seat on the ****ing Supreme Court vacant for a year

Don't get so wound up gold. If you think the Ds wouldn't be doing the same thing, then you've just become another complete homer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    To quote him

"Get over it"

Get over what? Wishing that we'd slow things down?
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 02-14-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Don't get so wound up gold. If you think the Ds wouldn't be doing the same thing, then you've just become another complete homer.
    I'm sitting here telling you it would be bull**** for either party to do that

And I'm the homer?

Ok

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I'm sitting here telling you it would be bull**** for either party to do that

And I'm the homer?

Ok

And I'm saying it wouldn't be that for either party to say what the Rs are saying in these circumstances. It's not going to happen. Getting into a hissy is silly. And acting as if the Ds wouldn't do it is silly as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I see tonights debate described as " pandemonium" and the Senate Majority leader vowing to stall the Supreme Court like he (they) havethe legislative branch.

It is silly for you of all people to speculate what (D) would do in this situation. If you have shown any tendencies it would be that your understanding of (D) is wanting.

Fed from "the Usual Suspects" I'd guess
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I have said nothing about that

I have said it would be bull**** if they did

As much as somehow I am viewed a "them" or"you guys"

I would say my support from Ron Paul to Bernie sanders proves I am one of the independent voters here

I also have always been a huge fan of SC and always said if I could choose a job it would be a SC judge. I am from DC and every time we would go back I loved going by the building and loved the few times I was able to go see a case argued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I see tonights debate described as " pandemonium" and the Senate Majority leader vowing to stall the Supreme Court like he (they) havethe legislative branch.

It is silly for you of all people to speculate what (D) would do in this situation. If you have shown any tendencies it would be that your understanding of (D) is wanting.

Fed from "the Usual Suspects" I'd guess

^^^ Imagine that - 57, a D homer.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    So how would a case get there as in, once the court rules on it, it can't be brought up again right? People have continued to sue Obamacare and the mandate was held so I assume since they ruled on the mandate that it can no longer be tried and that they have to try and sue other parts of the law?
    People can sue and if they get a lower court to agree with them, the case moves on if appealed. It can go all the way to the Supreme Court.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    I'm in agreement, Gold. Just saying I have no confidence in either political party to do the right thing. People couldn't even take the time to recognize a human being died before the circus took off. And I have no confidence these days that a nominee won't be strongly leaning left or right depending on who is in the White House.

I really think the Republicans would be stupid to stall Obama out. I'm not saying they have to just completely go along with whoever he nominates because there is a chance he nominates someone who has no business being on the Court. Or he could nominate someone really good. But it'll only make the Republicans look bad and they've got some key Senate races to hold on to in purple states this year.

If a Republican wins the White House, there will come a time when he gets a chance to flip the court back the other way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Sotomayor and Kagan strongly lean left ?
    hmm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    ^^^ Imagine that - 57, a D homer.
    I'm confused, I thought gold was a (D) homer
    ????

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Some might say you are always confused 57. ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    ....some...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    This political dance is nothing new or abnormal. That said, a friend put it well:

"It is the prerogative of the duly elected President of the United States, and of him alone, with the advice and consent of the United States Senate, to appoint judges of the Supreme Court, whenever such appointments are necessary, and without regard to election cycles. It is the prerogative of the United States Senate to confirm or not affirm said appointment by a simple majority vote. The decision of the President to appoint a particular Supreme Court judge, or the Senate not to confirm such an appointment, can and may be based on merit only, can and may be overtly political, can and may be wise or ill advised, both parties (and both political parties) being subject to the political consequences of their decisions."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Perhaps Obama will nominate his secretary.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/2...minates-judges

Oops

Senator Mitch McConnell in 2005:
    'The President, and the President alone, nominates judges'
    Forever Fredi