Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Justice Scalia dead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Give O credit for not calling Scalia out for being the bigoted on the take pig he was that's set our country back 20 years & countless dollars , led us to an unprovoked war, wrecked 50 years of civil rights advances, and had his fingers in the biggest economic collapse since the great Depression. Etc,etc,etc

All in all, Obama has taken the high road
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-18-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    After seeing how this is being discussed, I now hope that Obama spends Saturday attending same-sex wedding ceremonies and commuting death sentences.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-18-2016), Prikichi (02-18-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    From a reliable site or that crooked **** you and Goldie like to pull "facts" from?
    what sites of crooked "****" do i pull "facts" from?

i would love for you show me what bs sites i use in your mind.

i won't hold my breath while waiting
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Give O credit for not calling Scalia out for being the bigoted on the take pig he was that's set our country back 20 years & countless dollars , led us to an unprovoked war, wrecked 50 years of civil rights advances, and had his fingers in the biggest economic collapse since the great Depression. Etc,etc,etc

This place has become a comedy show...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Well, we know there are at least 2 people we can't give credit for not doing that.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    So he's going to to go visit Scalia privately with Michelle on Friday.

That's still not good enough for you folks Beds?

Imagine POTUS going, and the media cutting to his reaction from every eulogy given to Scalia. I think POTUS gave more respect to the family, then credit you're giving to him.

No it's not. He's just giving ammo to all those who already think he's a petty and vindictive man and I don't want to think that about him. Believe it or not I actually like him as a person, though disagreeing with a lot of his views.

Unlike y'all, funerals are big deals to me. And when it comes to this one - it matters nationally. He is our representative head. And being there is an act of grace, charity, respect, dignity. It's becoming. All the more so in such a divisive age. All the more so with the cheap shots he's received. All the more so when it was a chief justice so different than him. In other words, POTUS is blowing a grand opportunity. And it's too late now really for him to change course. And that's too bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    After seeing how this is being discussed, I now hope that Obama spends Saturday attending same-sex wedding ceremonies and commuting death sentences.

Didn't think you'd join the ranks of 57 on this. You surprised me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Didn't think you'd join the ranks of 57 on this. You surprised me.
    My opinion about the issue—or non-issue—is immaterial. My opinion about the fact that said issue became an immediate, overheated cause celebe for the right (which you've played quite nicely into) is contained fully and wholeheartedly in my post above. Justice Scalia is dead. He doesn't care. His loved ones are not smarting over the "snub," presumably. My facetious wishes for how BHO spends his day is aimed solely at the folks who are disingenuously making this an issue. It's contemptible. If they're going to play the mock-outrage card about this, I'd hope they get some better fuel for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Or, I guess I could say, in the words of the man himself when asked about Bush v. Gore, "Get over it!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-18-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    And you continue to surprise me. That's okay though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    When any sitting POTOS attends such a funeral, isn't (s)he almost by default asked to give the eulogy?

I don't know the exact reason he isn't going, but pettiness? Really? I wonder how "those who already think he's a petty and vindictive man" would have reacted to the public disrespect he's endured from some on the right side of the aisle.

He's got plenty of ammo if he wanted to hold grudges but as to Justice Scalia, Obama's comments have only showed the utmost respect. As for the funeral, he can always send Joe. That's the VP's job anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think Bedell makes a good point. I think it's fine if Obama doesn't attend if he has a legit reason, but he hasn't really come up with a good excuse. Right now it just seems like he doesn't want to show up for political or petty reasons. The liberals on this board are fine with that, but they're pretty much fine with everything Obama does I've noticed. I'm not sure I really buy the idea that the family doesn't want him there.

Some of you are acting like it's not a big deal, but I think any little thing can play a major role here in this SCOTUS nomination fight.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    When any sitting POTOS attends such a funeral, isn't (s)he almost by default asked to give the eulogy?

I don't know the exact reason he isn't going, but pettiness? Really? I wonder how "those who already think he's a petty and vindictive man" would have reacted to the public disrespect he's endured from some on the right side of the aisle.

He's got plenty of ammo if he wanted to hold grudges but as to Justice Scalia, Obama's comments have only showed the utmost respect. As for the funeral, he can always send Joe. That's the VP's job anyway.

First off, thanks Runnin. That's a respectful response.

Second, I suspect it depends on the liturgical tradition and person. I think GWB gave one at Rehnquist's. He may have been asked and if so, he would have done an outstanding job as he did in Charleston.

Third, they probably wouldn't have reacted well. But GWB has. And I certainly think President Obama can. It's got to be exceedingly difficult. But goodness knows we don't want our presidents to be seen as petty and vindictive. I don't. I want them to be strong examples of a better way. Even the ones I didn't vote for. Don't you think our country, which is becoming more tribal by the moment, needs it? I'm amazed by men like MLK who endured so much and yet stood so well.

Fourth, he can send Joe, and I think I've read he's going. I just wished POTUS would have seized this opportunity himself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think Bedell makes a good point. I think it's fine if Obama doesn't attend if he has a legit reason, but he hasn't really come up with a good excuse. Right now it just seems like he doesn't want to show up for political or petty reasons. The liberals on this board are fine with that, but they're pretty much fine with everything Obama does I've noticed. I'm not sure I really buy the idea that the family doesn't want him there.

Some of you are acting like it's not a big deal, but I think any little thing can play a major role here in this SCOTUS nomination fight.

Hadn't even thought of that last angle weso. He would have put the screws on the Rs even more if he had of continued the respectful way of handling this situation by going to the funeral. Say the nice words he has said to this point. Go to the viewing. Go to the funeral. Wait a few days. And then say, okay, let's get this process going. Then put Loretta or Sri up as a nomination, and say to the Senate. "Your turn."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Or, I guess I could say, in the words of the man himself when asked about Bush v. Gore, "Get over it!"
    i used that quote already
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I didn't mean to imply that Obama has any reason to hold a grudge towards Scalia.

But if he did have a grudge and were truly petty and vindictive, then he'd surely go to the funeral, do the eulogy and turn it into a chance to drop subtle comments about Scalia's character, voting record and opinions. That's what a petty person does, not respectfully back out of the picture. POTOS has shown respect and restraint by honoring his memory and giving the Scalia family a more peaceful and private ceremony.

Does anyone know how many extra SS agents would have to accompany the Obamas if they attended? And it's just a funeral. The main event should be reserved for the family and close friends and NOT turned into a grand show of stately authority and prestige.

I'm suspect I don't hold Bedell's opinion of the weighty importance of a Supreme Court Justice's funeral and believe that anyone checking attendance is just looking for something to complain about. The only difference I see in Obama and his SS posse not going is that it probably makes for a slightly less cumbersome affair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i used that quote already
    Oops.

Wait, Rick Perry used that one.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-20-2016)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    http://www.thebigquestions.com/2016/...ntonin-scalia/

My favorite Scalia story is from Ted Cruz’s book A Time for Truth. This took place in 1986, when the departure of Warren Burger had created a vacancy on the Supreme Court, and it was clear that attorney general Ed Meese would be President Reagan’s most influential advisor on choosing a nominee. According to Cruz:

Everyone knew that two of the stars on the conservative side, and thus possible nominees, were Robert Bork and Scalia, both on the D.C. Circuit. So one day Scalia was walking in a parking garage at the appellate court when two U.S. marshals stopped him. “Sorry, sir,” one of them said. “We’re holding this elevator for the attorney general of the United States.”

Scalia pushed past them, entered the elevator, and pressed a button. As the doors closed, Scalia shouted out, “You tell Ed Meese that Bob Bork doesn’t wait for anyone!”

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (02-19-2016), BedellBrave (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    http://www.thebigquestions.com/2016/...ntonin-scalia/

My favorite Scalia story is from Ted Cruz’s book A Time for Truth. This took place in 1986, when the departure of Warren Burger had created a vacancy on the Supreme Court, and it was clear that attorney general Ed Meese would be President Reagan’s most influential advisor on choosing a nominee. According to Cruz:

Everyone knew that two of the stars on the conservative side, and thus possible nominees, were Robert Bork and Scalia, both on the D.C. Circuit. So one day Scalia was walking in a parking garage at the appellate court when two U.S. marshals stopped him. “Sorry, sir,” one of them said. “We’re holding this elevator for the attorney general of the United States.”

Scalia pushed past them, entered the elevator, and pressed a button. As the doors closed, Scalia shouted out, “You tell Ed Meese that Bob Bork doesn’t wait for anyone!”
    That's pretty solid.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Oh... so the left cares about old quotes now?