Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Did We Give Up on Juan Francisco Too Soon?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    No, he won't. Just because most do doesn't mean everybody does. I don't give a damn what the statistical regression says.

He's figured out something special. He won't likely hit .340, but neither will he snap back to .290.

I would bet that his average the next five years will be closer to .315 than it is to .290.
    So you honestly believe CJ is one of the best hitters in baseball? There aren't many that hit .300

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I thought it was a mistake to let him go but it hasn't hurt us, in fact the decision helped make us a better team. Johnson has gotten more consistent AB's and has thrived because of it. Once again the Braves front office got it right.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    So you honestly believe CJ is one of the best hitters in baseball? There aren't many that hit .300
    I do, if you take power out of the question. I believe he is one of the best hitters in baseball.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Once again the Braves front office got it right.
    Not really. They get rid of a fairly productive player for nothing. It would seem the Brewers gave Juan more consistent AB's and he's the one that has thrived just like he did last season when he was given more consistent ab's. Juan with the Brewers: wRC+ 134; CJ: 136. Juan has pretty much made the Braves front office look stupid.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BremanFan88 View Post
    Not really. They get rid of a fairly productive player for nothing. It would seem the Brewers gave Juan more consistent AB's and he's the one that has thrived just like he did last season when he was given more consistent ab's. Juan with the Brewers: wRC+ 134; CJ: 136. Juan has pretty much made the Braves front office look stupid.
    Something tells me the Braves will survive.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-17-2013), Krovahn (08-17-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Where was Juan Francisco going to get consistent at-bats with the Braves? You going to bench Johnson completely for Juan? If so that's stupid with the way Johnson has hit since day 1. Also Juan is playing 1B for the Brewers. You damn sure ain't gonna bench Freeman for Juan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Something tells me the Braves will survive.
    Yep. Some people just like to go around *****ing about everything.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,028 Posts
    And not only that, but just a couple weeks ago, complaints were being made about Juan's defense with the Brewers.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I do, if you take power out of the question. I believe he is one of the best hitters in baseball.
    So you're willing to take power out of the question but are willing to leave in a crazy high BABIP? It's incredibly silly to say CJ is one of the best hitters in baseball. The only thing he's got going for him is the ball falling in. That's not a skill. No player has ever been able to guide a baseball where he wants it to go and I doubt that CJ all of a sudden mastered a "skill" like that. Here's a little perspective, Cabrera, the actual best hitter in baseball, has an average of .358 with a BABIP of .363. CJ is hitting .336 with a BABIP of .412. It's nice that it's happening for the Braves but lets use some common sense when we're talking about the best hitters in baseball. You can't disregard power, striking out and the ability to walk when talking about hitting because that is apart of it too. Average is not a good base for production because a punch a judy hitter can have a similar average to a 40 homerun guy and they clearly wouldn't be in the same class of hitting ability.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    So you're willing to take power out of the question but are willing to leave in a crazy high BABIP? It's incredibly silly to say CJ is one of the best hitters in baseball. The only thing he's got going for him is the ball falling in. That's not a skill. No player has ever been able to guide a baseball where he wants it to go and I doubt that CJ all of a sudden mastered a "skill" like that. Here's a little perspective, Cabrera, the actual best hitter in baseball, has an average of .358 with a BABIP of .363. CJ is hitting .336 with a BABIP of .412. It's nice that it's happening for the Braves but lets use some common sense when we're talking about the best hitters in baseball. You can't disregard power, striking out and the ability to walk when talking about hitting because that is apart of it too. Average is not a good base for production because a punch a judy hitter can have a similar average to a 40 homerun guy and they clearly wouldn't be in the same class of hitting ability.
    What about Chris Johnson's linedrive rate? Isn't it one of the best in baseball? Isn't that a contributing factor to his insanely high BABIP?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Lol, it was dumb to trade him but CJ is a better player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    False. What he's good at is hitting line drives. And that is a measurable skill, isn't it? I can't think of a way to measure that he hits the ball hard on the ground, too, but he does that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Uh, no. He doesn't make consistent contact and has no other skills than power. He's Jack Cust with a gut and a Spanish accent.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (08-17-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Yeah, it was pretty much pointless to get rid of him. Still don't understand that move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Yeah, I didn't get it. I think Wren panicked a bit because the Braves weren't playing great and made a move to "shake" things up. I hated the move.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Braves have one of the best records in baseball. They cleared way for a player to play and he's one of the league leaders in hitting.

But yeah you are right, they look sooooooooo STUPID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    What about Chris Johnson's linedrive rate? Isn't it one of the best in baseball? Isn't that a contributing factor to his insanely high BABIP?
    Some people are so in love with advanced stats that they fail to realize good hitting when it's right before their eyes. I believe using the whole field is a skill. If Andruw would have mastered it then he would have been a HOF caliber hitter. Chris has a good approach at the plate and that's why he's getting the ball to fall in. He doesn't try to pull outside pitches, he hits the ball where it's pitched. I don't care what his BABIP or wRC is......just watch the guy hit, he knows what he's doing. I'm getting sick and tired of people acting like he's getting lucky. Maybe he could get lucky for a month but this has been going on all year. If anyone is making anyone else look stuipid, it's Chris Johnson that is making the stathead community look foolish. AVG is a useful stat, afterall the goal of every hitter is to get base hits.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-19-2013), bravesnumberone (08-17-2013), GovClintonTyree (08-17-2013), Heyward (08-17-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Braves have one of the best records in baseball. They cleared way for a player to play and he's one of the league leaders in hitting.

But yeah you are right, they look sooooooooo STUPID!

This makes no sense. If that's the case, what stops them from starting CJ everyday and having Juan backup the corners?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Some people are so in love with advanced stats that they fail to realize good hitting when it's right before their eyes. I believe using the whole field is a skill. If Andruw would have mastered it then he would have been a HOF caliber hitter. Chris has a good approach at the plate and that's why he's getting the ball to fall in. He doesn't try to pull outside pitches, he hits the ball where it's pitched. I don't care what his BABIP or wRC is......just watch the guy hit, he knows what he's doing. I'm getting sick and tired of people acting like he's getting lucky. Maybe he could get lucky for a month but this has been going on all year. If anyone is making anyone else look stuipid, it's Chris Johnson that is making the stathead community look foolish. AVG is a useful stat, afterall the goal of every hitter is to get base hits.

FYI, guys have entire years that are lucky or unlucky. He strikes out a lot, doesn't walk or hit for power. His LD%should keep hima t a respectable BA, but he's not a >.300 hitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This makes no sense. If that's the case, what stops them from starting CJ everyday and having Juan backup the corners?
    I don't think either player would have performed as well as they have if they both remained Braves. I believe they would have continued to split playing time. Both players needed every day AB's to succeed. And make no mistake about it Chris Johnson has succeeded and it has nothing to do with him getting lucky.