Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Did We Give Up on Juan Francisco Too Soon?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    FYI, guys have entire years that are lucky or unlucky. He strikes out a lot, doesn't walk or hit for power. His LD%should keep hima t a respectable BA, but he's not a >.300 hitter.
    Yes he is! My God, he's done it in prior years, he's hitting three-****ing-forty, and he'll do it again. Your advanced metrics are for **** if they can't 1)acknowledge what's happening now and 2) have room to create a range of possible outcomes in the future.

You can't just say he's not a .300 hitter - he ****ing is! He's hitting .340! Has been before! Will be again! .290 career! Should go higher!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Some people are so in love with advanced stats that they fail to realize good hitting when it's right before their eyes. I believe using the whole field is a skill. If Andruw would have mastered it then he would have been a HOF caliber hitter. Chris has a good approach at the plate and that's why he's getting the ball to fall in. He doesn't try to pull outside pitches, he hits the ball where it's pitched. I don't care what his BABIP or wRC is......just watch the guy hit, he knows what he's doing. I'm getting sick and tired of people acting like he's getting lucky. Maybe he could get lucky for a month but this has been going on all year. If anyone is making anyone else look stuipid, it's Chris Johnson that is making the stathead community look foolish. AVG is a useful stat, afterall the goal of every hitter is to get base hits.
    It's exhausting dealing with statheads. Like talking to a wall. Boys, your **** ain't gospel, no matter how definitively you sling it out there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (08-17-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Yes he is! My God, he's done it in prior years, he's hitting three-****ing-forty, and he'll do it again. Your advanced metrics are for **** if they can't 1)acknowledge what's happening now and 2) have room to create a range of possible outcomes in the future.

You can't just say he's not a .300 hitter - he ****ing is! He's hitting .340! Has been before! Will be again! .290 career! Should go higher!
    Johnson only hit .300 once before this year. His career average even with this year is .290
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Johnson only hit .300 once before this year. His career average even with this year is .290
    Over four years. Two of them were .300.

Never mind, stathead. I know there's no room for outliers in your world.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Completely lost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Completely lost
    Lost? You're delusional. A guy that's hitting over .300 is a .300 hitter. Except in mom's basement, where reality can be anything you want it to be.

What's really irritating is the groupthink imperative around here. Don't question advanced metrics, no matter how badly they're misused, or you're a Luddite. I'm not. I just think if you look at the numbers too long, you don't see the forest for the trees.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Lost? You're delusional. A guy that's hitting over .300 is a .300 hitter. Except in mom's basement, where reality can be anything you want it to be.

What's really irritating is the groupthink imperative around here. Don't question advanced metrics, no matter how badly they're misused, or you're a Luddite. I'm not. I just think if you look at the numbers too long, you don't see the forest for the trees.
    So isBJ a 190 hitter, he's hitting .190.

BABIP isnt really an advanced metric. And how is it misused?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    In the last 4 years, the league leader in BABIP is Votto at .369. But Johnson should be able to maintain his .412?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    So isBJ a 190 hitter, he's hitting .190.

BABIP isnt really an advanced metric. And how is it misused?
    Yes. It's misused.

Incorrect. It is an advanced metric.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    In the last 4 years, the league leader in BABIP is Votto at .369. But Johnson should be able to maintain his .412?
    Never said that. Never.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yes. It's misused.

Incorrect. It is an advanced metric.

How is it misused?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Night, Giles.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    It's misused because people don't use it as a guide, they use it as gospel. If someone has a high BABIP it means they aren't very good and are just lucky and if someone has a low BABIP they are just unlucky and will turn it around. Players with a high BABIP never get the respect the deserve by statheads who think it's a perfect stat. They've been predicting the regression of Chris Johnson since April because of this stat and they have been proven wrong. They won't admit it though, they have too much pride. They decide it's better to just change their argument and say he can get lucky for an entire year but next year he will be back to being terrible. What's wrong with just coming out and saying I was wrong and Chris Johnson has been incredible for us this year? Is it really that hard? Why do people think they always have to be right?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-19-2013), GovClintonTyree (08-18-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It's misused because people don't use it as a guide, they use it as gospel. If someone has a high BABIP it means they aren't very good and are just lucky and if someone has a low BABIP they are just unlucky and will turn it around. Players with a high BABIP never get the respect the deserve by statheads who think it's a perfect stat. They've been predicting the regression of Chris Johnson since April because of this stat and they have been proven wrong. They won't admit it though, they have too much pride. They decide it's better to just change their argument and say he can get lucky for an entire year but next year he will be back to being terrible. What's wrong with just coming out and saying I was wrong and Chris Johnson has been incredible for us this year? Is it really that hard? Why do people think they always have to be right?
    I don't think anyone truly into advanced metrics looks at Johnson's BABIP and says that he shoudl suck. Lots of other factors are involved. i'm pretty sure everyone who's said that Johnson will eventually come down (and he will, whether it's this year or next or the one after that) is saying that he will because he's performing at an impossible level.

Since 1945, only 4 players have had a season with a BABIP over .400. Roberto Clemente, Manny Ramirez, Jose Hernandez, and Rod Carew. Carew finished with a .408 as the high man. If you think Johnson is a better hitter than Rod Carew well then have I got the Bridge for you. Sarcastic comments aside, since the end of WWII the highest BABIP of anyone with a serious sample are Rod Carew and Derek Jeter who have a career average of .359 and .354. And Johnson is not way better than either of those 2 to say he'll be a .400 BABIP guy his whole career.

We're not talking about say Freeman, who has a high BABIP of .365. That's not out of the question that he can hang near that level, especially since his LD% is right around Chris Johnson's and he has a lower IFFB% (aka balls that are almost guaranteed outs)

BABIP is highly misunderstood because it's not something you can just look at. I forget who I had a discussion with this about before when he said Gattis was unlucky because of his BABIP and I pointed out his low LD%, high FB% and lack of speed don't lend themselves to a high BABIP and he's probably not far from where he should be.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I don't think anyone truly into advanced metrics looks at Johnson's BABIP and says that he shoudl suck. Lots of other factors are involved. i'm pretty sure everyone who's said that Johnson will eventually come down (and he will, whether it's this year or next or the one after that) is saying that he will because he's performing at an impossible level.

Since 1945, only 4 players have had a season with a BABIP over .400. Roberto Clemente, Manny Ramirez, Jose Hernandez, and Rod Carew. Carew finished with a .408 as the high man. If you think Johnson is a better hitter than Rod Carew well then have I got the Bridge for you. Sarcastic comments aside, since the end of WWII the highest BABIP of anyone with a serious sample are Rod Carew and Derek Jeter who have a career average of .359 and .354. And Johnson is not way better than either of those 2 to say he'll be a .400 BABIP guy his whole career.

We're not talking about say Freeman, who has a high BABIP of .365. That's not out of the question that he can hang near that level, especially since his LD% is right around Chris Johnson's and he has a lower IFFB% (aka balls that are almost guaranteed outs)

BABIP is highly misunderstood because it's not something you can just look at. I forget who I had a discussion with this about before when he said Gattis was unlucky because of his BABIP and I pointed out his low LD%, high FB% and lack of speed don't lend themselves to a high BABIP and he's probably not far from where he should be.
    All that is true. That said in now 1725 career PAS, CJ has a BABIP of .365. That's getting to be a pretty fair sample size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    All that is true. That said in now 1725 career PAS, CJ has a BABIP of .365. That's getting to be a pretty fair sample size.
    Never said he couldn't have a very high BABIP. Just impossible to maintain a .420 BABIP since not even guys like Cobb sniffed that level for their career.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

It depends on the level of the BABIP. SOme guys have high ones. But over .400 is u sustainable.

Joey Votto has a high BABIap, does he not get the credit he deserves?

Any stathead(or anyone) that claims a player can't be lucky for an entire year is simply wrong.

Chris Johnson has been really good this year offensively. Much better than anyone expected. But with his style of hitting, he simply will not be able to sustain the level he hit this year. And if his BABiP drops to .350ish or below, he's is ply not an asset.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Jason Heyward is a pretty good example of the utility of BABIP.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

Any stathead(or anyone) that claims a player can't be lucky for an entire year is simply wrong.
    I don't see how it's possible. This is a game played everyday for 6 months. You accumulate over 550 AB's. If you hit 330 you must be doing something right. To suggest it's nothing but luck discredits the performance of the player and is a thought process I'll never understand. Once again you guys are making me glad I don't get bogged down with numbers. I couldn't enjoy Chris Johnson's play if I thought it was nothing but luck. There has to be some skill involved to perform as well as he has.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-18-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't see how it's possible. This is a game played everyday for 6 months. You accumulate over 550 AB's. If you hit 330 you must be doing something right. To suggest it's nothing but luck discredits the performance of the player and is a thought process I'll never understand. Once again you guys are making me glad I don't get bogged down with numbers. I couldn't enjoy Chris Johnson's play if I thought it was nothing but luck. There has to be some skill involved to perform as well as he has.
    It's not that there's no skill involved with what Johnson is doing. There's also a lot of luck as well. As far as possible to be lucky over a course of a season, of course it is entirely possible. Think of it this way. 600 PA is a large sample that should normalize most tendencies, but it doesn't. Let's look at Jeff Francoeur's career. His career BABIP basically is .300. He was almost never between .290-.320 his BABIP by season are .337 .284 .337 .274 .305 .270 .323 .272 .261

Fluctuation in BABIP year to year is normal.

And Johnson absolutely has been lucky. You dont' hit as many dying quails and seeing-eye grounders as he does on skill.