Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did We Give Up on Juan Francisco Too Soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Did We Give Up on Juan Francisco Too Soon?

I know, Chris Johnson is leading the league in hitting, so nobody has probably even bothered to wonder how Juan is doing in Milwaukee. But since joining the Brewers, in 191 plate appearances he's got 12 homers, an .865 OPS and hitting .257. Problem is, he's still striking out nearly 33% of his AB's, and his walk rate has only slightly increased. We didn't get much in return, and at the time it was pretty clear it wasn't working out with him in Atlanta getting part time ABs, so we might have had no other options. Thoughts?
    Last edited by rico43; 08-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Probably, but he cannot play short and was not gonna get those 191 ABs here. Id rather have Schafer up here with Beej struggling so badly. (not that it was either or)
    Ivermectin Man

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I know, Chris Johnson is leading the league in hitting, so nobody has probably even bothered to wonder how Juan is doing in Milwaukee. But since joining the Brewers, in 191 plate appearances he's got 12 homers, an .865 OPS and hitting .257. Problem is, he's still striking out nearly 33% of his AB's, and his walk rate has only slightly increased. We didn't get much in return, and at the time it was pretty clear it wasn't working out with him in Atlanta getting part time ABs, so we might have had no other options. Thoughts?
    No. It was clear what he was and that is not what the Braves needed more of. Glad he is doing well, but he is exactly what we thought he would be. Goo guy but not a good fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We absolutely gave up on him too quickly but the Braves just had to play CJ.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (08-15-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It was a terribly short sighted move and a lot of people said that at the time.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Yes. Francisco is a better player the CJ

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    We gave up on him too soon. We're putting ourselves at risk if Johnson goes down or if he stinks next year. We may have to Mark Teixeira a trade if he doesn't hit next year. Or even wworse, start Pastornicky or Janish.

I was fine with starting Johnson over Juan, my gripe to this day is that we have doo many damned OF. We had one guy on our bench who could play SS, 3B or 2B. Obviously Juan was limited in that he could only play 3B but that's a huge ste p up over Reed or Schafer who can only play the OF. JMO one of those 2 should have been sent off and instead we should have kept Juan. Sure he has his weaknesses but I like him better than Schafer as a LHB off the bench, and if Johnson goes down I like him WAY more than Pastornicky. Only potential option at 3B that could be attractive if he can handle it would be La Stella.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    he's a platoon 1b for Milwaukee, we had no use for him in that role, they did. Think we could have gotten more, but he's be seeing very little action and taking up a valuable spot on the 25 man roster if we'd kept him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    THe problem with Juan on our team was that he is a guy that needs to play everyday. I don't think he will ever thrive in a part time role and that is what he was here.

I wanted him over Johnson but CJ has made me a believer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    THe problem with Juan on our team was that he is a guy that needs to play everyday. I don't think he will ever thrive in a part time role and that is what he was here.

The "he needs to play everyday to be effective" is a convenient excuse with little to no support.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

He didn't need to play everyday. He hasn't in Milwaukee. Only think playing everyday does is normalize his slumps a little faster. Juan is basically a left handed Uggla without the patience. He'll strike out a lot, not walk a lot but when he makes contact he hits the crap out of the ball.

He shouldn't have left. We're lucky Johnson has been healthy, if he had gotten hurt we'd be screwed.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Nope. Glad he's gone. Let's move on and not obsess over former Braves.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to COGPK For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-16-2013), GovClintonTyree (08-15-2013), MURF21 (08-15-2013), The Chosen One (08-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Wasn't he also horrible as a pinch hitter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    He didn't need to play everyday. He hasn't in Milwaukee. Only think playing everyday does is normalize his slumps a little faster. Juan is basically a left handed Uggla without the patience. He'll strike out a lot, not walk a lot but when he makes contact he hits the crap out of the ball.

He shouldn't have left. We're lucky Johnson has been healthy, if he had gotten hurt we'd be screwed.
    He has essentially been an everyday player in MIL.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    We absolutely did. It has nothing to do with CJ. I just think we gave Francisco away for nothing. I know we had roster issues but I never liked the move.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm glad to see him doing well. My beef was the return we got for him. Maybe Keeling turns out to be someone, but I thought we should have received more for him.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm glad to see him doing well. My beef was the return we got for him. Maybe Keeling turns out to be someone, but I thought we should have received more for him.
    Especially since we gave up Hoover for him, which still kills me a little inside.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-15-2013), Krovahn (08-15-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    What part of he was taking up a roster spot that could have better been used elsewhere do people not understand? Would it have been better if the Braves could have kept Juan...absolutely. Was it practical...absolutely not.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    What part of he was taking up a roster spot that could have better been used elsewhere do people not understand? Would it have been better if the Braves could have kept Juan...absolutely. Was it practical...absolutely not.
    How was it not practical? Is having 6 OFers practical? Is there really a need for Schafer and Reed Johnson? Especially when you have only 1 backup infielder.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes. Francisco is a better player the CJ
    Lol, no he's not.