Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inciarte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts

Inciarte

Haven't been keeping up... Is it looking like we're gonna keep him now? I hope so. I wanna see what he can do here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I don't think there's much chance we trade him before midseason. I would have said the same thing about Kimbrel last year but there's no Upton to get rid of this year. I think we go into the season with what we've got, see how Mallex progresses, and see what Inciarte can do. If Mallex shows he's ready to be our starting CF and leadoff hitter, I could see us shopping Inciarte at the deadline. I don't think that's likely as I think they'd probably like to see how Mallex does over a longer period before dealing Inciarte. I think next offseason is more likely.

If Mallex shows he can't hack it in CF or shows he's not going to hit enough to be a starter, then I think we'll keep Inciarte. There's also a chance Inciarte continues to improve and just ends up being too valuable to deal. In which case we might deal Mallex.

Ultimately, if both Mallex and Inciarte show they're starting quality CF, then you almost have to trade one of them. While Inciarte could easily play any of the three outfield positions and Mallex could easily play left, neither player has near as much value in the corners as opposed to center.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would disagree that Inciarte has far less value in the corners, though I would agree that we can probably get another team to value him more as a CF than we may as a RF. I think Mallex absolutely has to play center to be of much value.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-19-2016), JohnAdcox (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I would disagree that Inciarte has far less value in the corners, though I would agree that we can probably get another team to value him more as a CF than we may as a RF. I think Mallex absolutely has to play center to be of much value.
    I didn't say Inciarte was without value in the corners. He'd play excellent defense there and still hit. He just has less value there than in center. Defense in center is more valuable than in the corners and you also don't need to hit near as much in center. If Inciarte can continue to hit .300 and put up a mid .700's OPS, then he'd have value in the corners (especially in right). However, if he plays excellent center field defense and hits .300 with a mid .700s OPS, then he has exceptional value there.

If Mallex and Inciarte are both capable of being fine starting center fielders, I can't imagine us not finding a team that would give us more value than we'd get from putting one of them in a corner.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-19-2016), JohnAdcox (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Deep philosophical question.

If a team (doesn't have to be the Braves) started both Mallex Smith and Inciarte in the outfield, would it matter which one played center?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't think there's much chance we trade him before midseason. I would have said the same thing about Kimbrel last year but there's no Upton to get rid of this year. I think we go into the season with what we've got, see how Mallex progresses, and see what Inciarte can do. If Mallex shows he's ready to be our starting CF and leadoff hitter, I could see us shopping Inciarte at the deadline. I don't think that's likely as I think they'd probably like to see how Mallex does over a longer period before dealing Inciarte. I think next offseason is more likely.

If Mallex shows he can't hack it in CF or shows he's not going to hit enough to be a starter, then I think we'll keep Inciarte. There's also a chance Inciarte continues to improve and just ends up being too valuable to deal. In which case we might deal Mallex.

Ultimately, if both Mallex and Inciarte show they're starting quality CF, then you almost have to trade one of them. While Inciarte could easily play any of the three outfield positions and Mallex could easily play left, neither player has near as much value in the corners as opposed to center.
    this is kind of beside the point, but I hope this isn't the only year Mallex gets to prove himself. He's very likely going to struggle at first, perhaps mightily. I don't think we'll know his full story in one year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

If a team (doesn't have to be the Braves) started both Mallex Smith and Inciarte in the outfield, would it matter which one played center?
    No, not really. If they're both playing and in the lineup, what's the difference where they play on defense?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    this is kind of beside the point, but I hope this isn't the only year Mallex gets to prove himself. He's very likely going to struggle at first, perhaps mightily. I don't think we'll know his full story in one year.
    I don't think they'll give up on Mallex after one year. I just think Mallex's success might be tied to Inciarte's availability. If Mallex struggles badly then they might be wary of trading Ender and not having an insurance policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

Yes. They don't have similar arm strength. Inciarte has a gun. Mallex does not. So if they were both in the outfield at the same time I'd want Mallex in center and Inciarte in right.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I still think the Cubs will come strong as soon as Fowler signs elsewhere...if he does.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I think once Fowler signs, there's a solid chance we deal him to either of the Chicago clubs. Don't really care one way or the other as long as the return is worth it, and both of those orgs have some solid players/prospects we could get back in return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I still think the Cubs will come strong as soon as Fowler signs elsewhere...if he does.
    I agree with this. Unless Fowler goes back, of course. If we can get Soler or Baez, I bet we do it, though. Just a hunch.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (02-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I agree with this. Unless Fowler goes back, of course. If we can get Soler or Baez, I bet we do it, though. Just a hunch.
    If we trade for soler, what do we do with markakis and Olivera?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    I'd be dubious on that prediction, except that the FO does seem to be going more in the direction of risk and high ceilings. Inciarte appears to be low risk. His defense is pretty certain, and fairly valuable, and his offense palatable or better (with the caveat that his splits against lefties were bad last year). Soler and Baez are much more risky, but with power at such a premium, if they were to hit their ceilings, either could be a great move. Personally, I wouldn't mind taking the chance, but I'm not upset with keeping Inciarte, either. He is young enough to develop a little more power, and could improve his offense overall. That would make him a really good, if probably not quite elite centerfielder.

I am a big Mallex fan, though. I am hopeful that he'll exceed the predictions of the scouts who think there will be a lot less OBP when he reaches the majors, due to superior defense. Maybe he can smooth out his swing and add a little pop without sacrificing contact. 80 speed with an OBP of .375 or so would sure look nice at the top of a lineup. A .320 OBP, not nearly so much. I certainly don't have the ability to evaluate his swing and predict anything, but his consistently great OBP numbers at each level once he adjusts give me some hope. I like the idea of the Braves having someone who's elite with at least one tool (his being speed). I was a big Tron fan for that reason. The intangibles of losing someone unique bothered me a lot more than the actual loss of value in that trade, since we did get good value back. I hope we can get some players that will be both productive and possessive of traits that fans can "latch onto" (and keep them for a while).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we trade for soler, what do we do with markakis and Olivera?
    You'd probably play Soler in right and move Markakis to left. That would mean you'd have to move Olivera back to third at least until you trade Markakis midseason or next offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Baez?
    I don't understand the fascination. Don't wanna touch him with a ten foot pole.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Baez?
    I didn't say I would do it. I love Inciarte and think he would be a perfect guy to have on a team that is headed where we are. Phenomenal defense, good offense, still young and under control for a while.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Baez?

Haven't been a fan of either, but if I had to take one, it'd be Baez. He could be our 3B right now, and if he improves even slightly he potentially gives you that long-term roster by Opening Day 2017...

CF- Smith, SS-Albies, 2B- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, 3B- Baez, RF- Markakis, LF- Olivera, C- Flowers

I want absolutely no part of Soler - let them trade him for pitching.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Haven't been a fan of either, but if I had to take one, it'd be Baez. He could be our 3B right now, and if he improves even slightly he potentially gives you that long-term roster by Opening Day 2017...

CF- Smith, SS-Albies, 2B- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, 3B- Baez, RF- Markakis, LF- Olivera, C- Flowers

I want absolutely no part of Soler - let them trade him for pitching.
    Do you think we'll see both Swanson AND Albies in the lineup for opening day 2017? I'm thinking Swanson more than Albies. But, that would be pretty awesome.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Mallex's arm strength might push him to left in that scenario?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-19-2016)