Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I was reading an article a minute ago about draft manipulation and how the Braves could go after Moniak at 3 and have a deal in place with Collins at 40. It's definitely gonna fun to watch and see what route they go. The other route they saw us taking was acquiring another pick for slot money and getting Groome and maybe Moniak.
    I'm just so pumped. I'd love to get Collins somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we did somehow walk away with some combination of Groome, Moniak, Collins with our first 2 picks I'd faint

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Gotta feel sorry for Funkhouser... had a chance to make almost 2 million with bonus + Salary and now is looking like a late round pick making nothing..

Hansen scared me last year, so not sure I am surprised about his fall.. I completely forgot about Banks..
    I dont feel sorry for players who pass up big money and then lose value. Thats what they get for being greedy. A guy like Francoeur lost about 50 million from not having enough loyalty to sign the same extension McCann signed. No one to blame but himself for that.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-03-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    One thing I'd strongly consider is drafting a senior with 40, 44 or a pick we deal for. They sign for so cheap. I know he's had a rough year, but I'd be fine with Funkhouser and then give big money to two bats, three if we can deal for another pick. Those seniors signing for basically pennies can be an important part of making this work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont feel sorry for players who pass up big money and then lose value. Thats what they get for being greedy. A guy like Francoeur lost about 50 million from not having enough loyalty to sign the same extension McCann signed. No one to blame but himself for that.
    I don't call it "greed," but he made a bet on himself and lost. I don't feel bad for him, because that's the risk he decided to take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    D1baseball posted a mock that supposedly has some inside info on where teams are leaning. http://www.d1baseball.com/prospects/...k-draft-vol-1/

Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber so I don't know what the Braves stuff says. The only pick that non-subscribers can see is the first one. They say the Phillies are zeroed in on Puk unless he has a late collapse. That's the perfect first pick for us.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    D1baseball posted a mock that supposedly has some inside info on where teams are leaning. http://www.d1baseball.com/prospects/...k-draft-vol-1/

Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber so I don't know what the Braves stuff says. The only pick that non-subscribers can see is the first one. They say the Phillies are zeroed in on Puk unless he has a late collapse. That's the perfect first pick for us.
    I would be ok with them taking Puk, Groome, or Ray, which are the 3 that are mentioned for them. I also can't see anything beyond that, but the key for us will be at 2. I'm just really hoping the Reds don't take Lewis.

Of course, if Lewis is there at 3 and we don't take him, that will be even worse.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So, evidently that mock does have the Reds taking Lewis. Sucks.

They have us taking Groome. Here's the top 10:

1 Phillies : AJ Puk (Florida)
    2 Reds : Kyle Lewis (Mercer)
    3 Braves : Jason Groome (HS-NJ)
    4 Rockies : Riley Pint (HS-KS)
    5 Brewers : Corey Ray (Louisville)
    6 A's : Mickey Moniak (HS-CA)
    7 Marlins : Delvin Perez (HS-PR)
    8 Padres : Josh Lowe (HS-GA)
    9 Tigers : Ian Anderson (HS-NY)
    10 White Sox : Zack Collins (Miami)

Extremely interesting that Rutherford is not listed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Dang. Lowe was another one I was thinking we could get a deal set up with to get him at 40, but I'd be even more happy if we could do that with Rutherford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So, evidently that mock does have the Reds taking Lewis. Sucks.

They have us taking Groome. Here's the top 10:

1 Phillies : AJ Puk (Florida)
    2 Reds : Kyle Lewis (Mercer)
    3 Braves : Jason Groome (HS-NJ)
    4 Rockies : Riley Pint (HS-KS)
    5 Brewers : Corey Ray (Louisville)
    6 A's : Mickey Moniak (HS-CA)
    7 Marlins : Delvin Perez (HS-PR)
    8 Padres : Josh Lowe (HS-GA)
    9 Tigers : Ian Anderson (HS-NY)
    10 White Sox : Zack Collins (Miami)

Extremely interesting that Rutherford is not listed.
    I suspect most of these guys would be willing to negotiate a below slot deal if we took them at #3. Groome being a notable exception. The nice thing is there is some time to sort things out between when we make that pick and when the draft resumes the next day. I would guess if we are able to sign our first pick below slot, we will line up three or four candidates for an above slot deal with our next two picks. It won't be in the same league as the Daz Cameron signing, but I think if we play this smart we can get a couple guys with picks #40 and #44 who are first round talents.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-05-2016 at 12:36 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Dang. Lowe was another one I was thinking we could get a deal set up with to get him at 40, but I'd be even more happy if we could do that with Rutherford.
    The problem is that the Phillies and Reds are likely thinking the same thing. The Reds in particular both have more money than us, and their next 2 picks come before ours as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Apparently the article specifically says that the Reds love Lewis and that he's the heavy favorite over Perez for them. That's a bummer. The kid played too well.

Maybe he could tell them he will only play for Atlanta? Eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Apparently the article specifically says that the Reds love Lewis and that he's the heavy favorite over Perez for them. That's a bummer. The kid played too well.

If Lewis is gone, I'd like to see Perez as our pick. He'd be my pick in that situation even if the possibility of getting him below slot did not come into play. But I think he would be open to a below-slot deal.

In that scenario, I'd follow up with a couple college pitchers with #40 and #44.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If Lewis is gone, I'd like to see Perez as our pick. He'd be my pick in that situation even if the possibility of getting him below slot did not come into play. But I think he would be open to a below-slot deal.

In that scenario, I'd follow up with a couple college pitchers with #40 and #44.
    I've seen a few people mention college pitchers. I'm curious why people want that.

We already have a lot of pitchers at Triple A/Double A with Blair, Wisler, Folty and Teheran already in the big leagues. I'd think the last thing we need is college pitchers. What am I missing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I've seen a few people mention college pitchers. I'm curious why people want that.

We already have a lot of pitchers at Triple A/Double A with Blair, Wisler, Folty and Teheran already in the big leagues. I'd think the last thing we need is college pitchers. What am I missing?
    Because when you've got a top 5 pick you can often get college talent that has as high of a ceiling as the high school players with less risk. Being ready sooner is an excellent perk and one that would help us in returning to competitiveness but it's the high ceiling with more polish that is coveted.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

I have no doubt that the Reds will go college bat and under slot them. they are set up better than the Braves are. Our best chance to get a huge draft is to trade for one more slot and draft Groome at #3 and over slot our next two picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Because when you've got a top 5 pick you can often get college talent that has as high of a ceiling as the high school players with less risk. Being ready sooner is an excellent perk and one that would help us in returning to competitiveness but it's the high ceiling with more polish that is coveted.
    But he mentioned college pitchers at 40 and 44, not at 3.

To me, in most years the top college pitchers have very good value at the very top of the draft (top 5 picks), very poor value after that until about round 6 or so, and then good value after that again.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

KB21 (05-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

To me, in most years the top college pitchers have very good value at the very top of the draft (top 5 picks), very poor value after that until about round 6 or so, and then good value after that again.
    That's fair. When you're drafting college guys outside of the top 5 you tend to be going after guys with lower ceilings but higher floors. Think Gilmartin or Minor. Never going to be aces but should become useful major leaguers. Being ready soon is a perk. Also, when you get them major league ready they do become a currency you can use.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I'd hardly call that greed. Before you accept another job you always negotiate salary. If it's not what you're looking for (and you aren't in dire straits financially) then you shouldn't accept it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

We've made some exceptional college pitcher picks in rounds 2 and 3 (Kimbrel & Wood. Povse also looks promising.)