Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1868

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    With Mike Trout people said he was a cold weather player who needed development and might become an above avg corner OF'er or a league avg CF'er. There's just no way to know!

I'm not advocating for Ray (I'm on the Lewis train with Groome as the fallback) but it's just so hard to KNOW what guys are going to turn out to be. AND to be honest man, getting a guy who puts up 16-18 WAR over his 6 control years would be a pretty good pickup at #3. Most draft picks, even that early, don't turnout that well.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-03-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    With Mike Trout people said he was a cold weather player who needed development and might become an above avg corner OF'er or a league avg CF'er. There's just no way to know!

I'm not advocating for Ray (I'm on the Lewis train with Groome as the fallback) but it's just so hard to KNOW what guys are going to turn out to be. AND to be honest man, getting a guy who puts up 16-18 WAR over his 6 control years would be a pretty good pickup at #3. Most draft picks, even that early, don't turnout that well.
    You are comparing a high school player to a college one there, Ray has been seen extensively and plays in a larger conference. High school players have massive amounts of development left period, much less a cold weather baseball player.

And as I said in my previous post, nobody is going to complain about having a 3 or 3.5 WAR player over 6 years. But if you are picking in the top 5 ( and in particular are a mid-low payroll team like the Braves) you need to be searching for a franchise type player, not simply a good one.

I wouldn't have a huge issue with Senzel simply because if his potential power did finally translate to actual games you could have a Votto type hitter with average 3B defense. The chance is probably small, but it's there at least. That upside just isn't there with Ray, or it's extremely unlikely at any rate. You can find guys with Ray's potential in the late 1st round and sandwich rounds of most drafts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post

I don't think that's accurate about Trout. The new York **** stains had Trout at the top of their board.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Under the category of toolsy unpolished college hitters from obscure 4-year college programs taken early in the first round (top 10 picks) since 2000:

Rickie Weeks
    Nick Markakis
    Michael Choice
    Hunter Dozier

Caveat emptor. Especially those looking for the next Dave Winfield.

Yes, it is not that big a sample. Not too many such players get picked early in the first round. Perhaps there are reasons for that.
    So are we just considering Kris Bryant 'polished'?

Southern and Young Harris aren't even close to the competition that Mercer plays, and Dozier never walked more than he K'd.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Of course that would be a fine end result for a starter, but that's best case scenario. If we are drafting in the top 5, I want the player we are drafting to be a potential 5-6 WAR player, not a best case 3.5 WAR type player. Those are guys you go after in the last third of the first round and on, not top 5 or 10. And I don't see any way Ray jacks 30 HRs like Lankford did in his peak years.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However, it appears that the only players in this draft that anyone has hopes of possibly becoming 5-6 WAR players are also the two most dangerous (as well as those where we have the most system depth) - Groome and Pint. Has anyone else seen any of the recognized sources project ANY of these guys as potential future stars? Most of the reports I've seen don't project any of these players as having that type of ceiling other than the high school arms.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    What college did Bryant go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So are we just considering Kris Bryant 'polished'?

Southern and Young Harris aren't even close to the competition that Mercer plays, and Dozier never walked more than he K'd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What college did Bryant go to.
    San Diego

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I don't think Nick Senzel has a high upside. His body is already maxed out. There is really no room for growth there. He already has a thick, stocky build. He's a solid athlete, but not an all world guy. Really, his only above average tool at this point is his hit tool. I watch his swing, and there are no glaring deficiencies, but his swing does not generate much loft or power. If he changes his swing up though, it may cause him to sacrifice his contact skills, and I'm not sure how much more power it will generate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    San Diego
    UC-San Diego?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    San Diego State I think. I think he was there under Gwynn before the cancer.... :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Speaking of san diego...I'm going to be there next week...staying at a hotel near the ballpark...just realized the braves are gonna be in town...might go to Monday's game

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    No, not San Diego State, and not UC-San Diego. He played at the University of San Diego.

Last edited by smootness; 06-03-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    No, not San Diego State, and not UC-San Diego. He played at the University of San Diego.

Yup. Should have added him to the list. Good counter example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I don't think Nick Senzel has a high upside. His body is already maxed out. There is really no room for growth there. He already has a thick, stocky build. He's a solid athlete, but not an all world guy. Really, his only above average tool at this point is his hit tool. I watch his swing, and there are no glaring deficiencies, but his swing does not generate much loft or power. If he changes his swing up though, it may cause him to sacrifice his contact skills, and I'm not sure how much more power it will generate.
    Physically he is similar to David Wright. Maybe a little bigger than Wright was at the same age. Btw Senzel hasn't turned 21 yet, another consideration to keep in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

hahaha, well crap! we had 3 legit choices and bombed em all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    some felt that way, but it wasn't anywhere near the consensus (hence he went 25th)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However, it appears that the only players in this draft that anyone has hopes of possibly becoming 5-6 WAR players are also the two most dangerous (as well as those where we have the most system depth) - Groome and Pint. Has anyone else seen any of the recognized sources project ANY of these guys as potential future stars? Most of the reports I've seen don't project any of these players as having that type of ceiling other than the high school arms.
    Lewis has 5-6 WAR potential pretty easily as well, though he does carry a decent risk as well (Though I'm not sure his floor would really be much lower than Ray if any). All prospects carry risk in a draft though, high arms of course being the most volatile as you mention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Watched my Bulldogs take down SEMO earlier. Now, I'm watching Corey Ray and Louisville. Ray's first at bat, he looked at a first pitch fastball for a strike. Next pitch was a change up that the pitcher left up in the zone. Ray laced it into CF for a single.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    ....and he promptly attempts to steal 2B and gets thrown out.