Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1868

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    don't feel bad.. feel bad for the family that just bankrupted their house because the small business they were running had to close because of a greedy landlord that stuck a big box store as their anchor... That family has nothing to fall back on. Baseball dude probably collected a few 100K at least from slimy agent.
    He ended up getting a settlement worth what he would have gotten after taxes from the $4.95 million his agent claimed the Rockies offered before the draft. He had to pay 40% of it to Boras, but he still made out ok.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Neither Senzel nor Ray made BA's All-America First Team...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...Ctm4IP4IT76.97
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    don't feel bad.. feel bad for the family that just bankrupted their house because the small business they were running had to close because of a greedy landlord that stuck a big box store as their anchor... That family has nothing to fall back on. Baseball dude probably collected a few 100K at least from slimy agent.
    you can either survive in the market or you can't. No reason to feel bad for that family other than they made a poor business plan with no vision of the future.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    you can either survive in the market or you can't. No reason to feel bad for that family other than they made a poor business plan with no vision of the future.
    seen it too often.. owned my own business.

you can have all the vision in the world, but when someone bigger and richer than you comes along.. you have very little choice or say.... however, not going to thread jack the draft thread... just saying, everyone gambles. I feel bad for the high schooler for making the wrong decision.. but I feel worse for the family with 2 kids who bet on themselves and lost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    anyway, just read something odd on Twitter that the Braves are considering taking prep arm Ian Anderson at #3. The only way this makes any kind of sense is if they have a handshake agreement with someone to pay them $4m at #40 or something like that. I don't even have Anderson in my top 10, top 20 yes (probably in the 13-16 range) but #3?????

da wha??

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    That would be silly because the player you get at 40 wouldn't be better or as good as the player you can get at 3.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    anyway, just read something odd on Twitter that the Braves are considering taking prep arm Ian Anderson at #3. The only way this makes any kind of sense is if they have a handshake agreement with someone to pay them $4m at #40 or something like that. I don't even have Anderson in my top 10, top 20 yes (probably in the 13-16 range) but #3?????

da wha??
    It's at least possible that a player like Anderson is in the top 10 for the Braves and if they could save some money and the scouts are higher on him then it would make sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    That would be silly because the player you get at 40 wouldn't be better or as good as the player you can get at 3.
    true, but if you can get 2 top 15 guys by doing this action, it's probably in the best interest of the team (like say they tell Groome they will give him his $4.2 mill if he holds out until #40)

but hell, who knows, every year we hear all sorts of crazy theories from every different source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Lewis is a no brainier at 3 imo. What about Logan Shore at our #40 pick? Also, I wish Beer would transfer to a Juco school next year so he is eligible for the draft. He would be a perfect choice for us at 1 next year if we have it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't know about Shore but for some reason there seem to be better ideas of who we take a 40\44 than what we will do at 3!
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    The report that is saying the Braves had a big contingent watching Ian Anderson at his last start said that the righty was sitting 94-97 in that start and struck out 16.

Of note, that same report also says that Will Benson is rumored to be floating a $4 million salary demand out there. That really makes me curious if the Braves may be trying to float him down to the 40th pick. That kid has Jason Heyward tools but lacks the polish Jason had coming out as far as strike zone judgment from what I've read.

Of course, David Lee also mentioned that maybe the Braves are trying to float Ian Anderson to 40. Ben Chase mentioned that one of the package possibilities for Atlanta was Jason Groome/Ian Anderson.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    the bad thing about these top picks is we won't really know how good or bad #3 is, until #40 is selected too.

Say we take Groome at #3.. that will make a lot of people happy.. Then Anderson at 40 and we are in pitching heaven..

but reverse it, we take Anderson at 3.. there will be some screaming going on.. then we sneak Groome in at 40 and we are back to pitching heaven..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    the bad thing about these top picks is we won't really know how good or bad #3 is, until #40 is selected too.

Say we take Groome at #3.. that will make a lot of people happy.. Then Anderson at 40 and we are in pitching heaven..

but reverse it, we take Anderson at 3.. there will be some screaming going on.. then we sneak Groome in at 40 and we are back to pitching heaven..
    Like whoa dude
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I see no way we sneak Groome to 40. I'd think a team like the Padres would do a senior sign with one of their first round picks before they'd let Groome fall past them. You take the better prospect first.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    well.... it'd be less than half taken in taxes (you are taxed sequentially for monies that fall withing that guideline) highest rate is 39.4% , SO, he buys a house, writes it off, pays his agent 10-15% wtvr that is, writes it off, so now you have a taxable income of $2 mill of the $3m with an overall tax burden of around 29.5% give or take so he would lose probably say $600k give or take and be left with $1.4m and a house. (or he incorporates and all salary is paid to Jason Groome Inc, which makes the burden a bit less)
    In my opinion, it's less about the total numbers, and more about the risk management. For example, let's say you were offered $2M right now, or a 50% chance of $5M a year from now. An ROI analysis clearly shows you should take the 50% chance of $5M (.5 * $5M = $25M which is greater than $2M), but I would take the guaranteed $2M any day.

Sure, you might not be set for life with $2M and will still need to work for some sort of income, but you are financially stable. Any amount of money that allows you to outright own your home and a few larger ticket items like a couple cars is life changing money. It's not like you get to fly around the world in a private jet sipping pinacoladas all year, but you are financially secure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I see no way we sneak Groome to 40. I'd think a team like the Padres would do a senior sign with one of their first round picks before they'd let Groome fall past them. You take the better prospect first.
    I agree.. but you probably have a better shot of sneaking Groome to 40 than Anderson to 40... many more teams can afford Anderson along the way. Groome falls out after around 5 without a team burning a pick to meet his pool demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    well sure, BUT, If the difference is $3.5m or $5m I think I take the $3.5m . (unless i am A- super confident i can improve my draft spot and B- can insure myself from injury for double my estimated bonus desires)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The report that is saying the Braves had a big contingent watching Ian Anderson at his last start said that the righty was sitting 94-97 in that start and struck out 16.

Of note, that same report also says that Will Benson is rumored to be floating a $4 million salary demand out there. That really makes me curious if the Braves may be trying to float him down to the 40th pick. That kid has Jason Heyward tools but lacks the polish Jason had coming out as far as strike zone judgment from what I've read.

Of course, David Lee also mentioned that maybe the Braves are trying to float Ian Anderson to 40. Ben Chase mentioned that one of the package possibilities for Atlanta was Jason Groome/Ian Anderson.

Actually, if you think about "looking for a deal at #3", it wouldn't be out of the question to take Ray there if they could get him for $4-$4.5 million. That would leave them that same $4-$4.5 million to spend on Benson or Anderson.

Would certainly fit the idea that he's our guy regardless of who's available. Coppy gets his college bat AND we get another high-ceiling bat or arm as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We're not going to take Anderson at 3. That was just a guess based on us having a lot of scouts there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    oh no... I didn't mean to say he should go to Juco.. just have that threat to go to Juco. it increases his leverage.

Groome has probably thrown a number out there.. He is now backing his number up with the proposition of going to a junior college and being right back in the FO faces next year with the same demands or higher..

But, one point on your comment.. if a pitcher is one pitch away from disaster, then wouldn't fighting over 1 million now be in his best interest over waiting for 6 + years to hit FA?
    I don't know the slot value. But if I'm picked at 3 and I'm offered 3 million I'm not risking it to come back in a year and hope I go higher in a stronger draft or get way over slot.

No idea how they do the taxes but maybe I'm drafted to California instead of Atlanta and I get more money but less in my pocket.

You get you millions. You get a contract where they pay for school if you bust or blow out twice. You can get extra money with scrounging up little endorsements and signings. And I want to be a pro not at some dinky juco

Outside of Aiken bc of his health, how many top 10 guys didn't sign?