Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

- STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Creating a new thread for talk about the June amateur draft of American players.

Currently, the Braves have the 3rd, 40th, 44th and 80th picks in the draft. If that sounds slightly different than what you've heard before, note that the Orioles have now given up the 14th overall pick for signing Gallardo. They might move up yet another spot should Dexter Fowler sign with anyone other than the Cubs.

This will be the thread to place results from mock drafts, prospect injury news, or players declaring their intention to stay amateurs.

On Feb. 12, the site Draft Utopia (Chris Ransom) staged a mock draft.

With the third pick, the Braves acquired Alec Hanson of Oklahoma. He's 6-7, 235, "Hansen displays a 94 mile per hour 4-seam fastball along with a 97 MPH 2-seam fastball and possesses incredible velocity with his pitches maxing out at 99 miles per hour. Like Gerrit Cole coming out of UCLA, mastering the command and accuracy of his pitches will be the biggest transition Hansen has to make in order to succeed in the MLB.
    Hansen also has a 65 mile per hour slider and a 55 mile per hour changeup as secondary pitches to compliment his fastball. Hansen reminds me of Zach Greinke with his facial appearance and could be a special pitcher in the MLB. Hansen may struggle with his command, but his upside is incredible"

NOTE: I have major issues with some of this content, but I was quoting the author of the mock draft. I had to correct several elementary typos, so I suggest this is far from the best authority we'll see.

Farther down, has Braves taking HS shortstop Spencer Steer from Calif. Indication is he would be a "steal" in the second round.

Anything beyond the top 15 needs to be taken with a big grain of salt, methinks.
    Last edited by rico43; 02-22-2016 at 04:30 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (06-01-2016), Freshmaker (02-22-2016), The Chosen One (02-22-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    In his recent start, Hansen got up to 98 MPH but didn't really have any control over it. I'd rather not add a college guy with low control, even if he throws hard; there are plenty of those guys bouncing around the minor leagues. My current wishlist is:

1) Jason Groome, LHP, HS. If he falls to us (linked to the Phillies currently), I would find it really hard to pass him up. Ace upside from the left side, good control, mid 90s already.
    2) Kyle Lewis, OF, College. Starting off the year right with a 5 for 12 streak, dominated lower competition and the Cape Cod League last year. Getting Heyward comps. Another big year and I'll be a believer.
    3) Blake Rutherford, OF, HS. Smooth swing, probably destined for RF but could be a CF, at least 3 plus tools and solid in his defensive ones. Currently probably the best HS hit tool, though that could definitely change this season.
    4) AJ Puk, LHP, College. Good velocity and curve from the left side, but has some control issues. Could be ready to contribute soon.
    5) Delvin Perez, SS, HS. Getting Correa comps, has an increasing chance of going top 5. Very smooth swing, defense is superb. Only reason I'm this down on taking him is Dansby and Ozzie.

Honorable mentions/they need good seasons: Buddy Reed, Corey Ray, Will Benson, Riley Pint, Mickey Moniak, Alec Hansen

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I like Corey Ray. The one knock on him is power questions. He hit 11 homers last year, and he hit two this weekend.

I'm mostly just mad that there aren't many star hitters in this draft. Just bad luck for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I like Corey Ray. The one knock on him is power questions. He hit 11 homers last year, and he hit two this weekend.

I'm mostly just mad that there aren't many star hitters in this draft. Just bad luck for us.
    With what we are doing in the international market we don't really need a star hitter with our pick. It's probably better to get a super high ceiling arm.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    With what we are doing in the international market we don't really need a star hitter with our pick. It's probably better to get a super high ceiling arm.
    No question I'm excited about the international stuff, but I'd like some more offense before Maitan and company make it to the big leagues in 2020 at the absolute earliest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    A 99-mph fastball to go along with a 55-mph changeup would be quite the arsenal indeed...

I remember reading that write-up a while back and just cracking up. Jason Groome has 8 pitches, apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Hansen is super talented but has some injury concerns. I'm hoping a big bat emerges (Rutherford or possibly Ray) but if it doesn't then I hope Puk is there at 3. With the offense coming along with Swanaon, Albies, Riley, and the international guys I feel we could still use a bonafied ace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Here's a list of #3 overall picks since 1990.

Brendan Rodgers, Carlos Rodon, Jon Gray, Mike Zunino, Trevor Bauer, Manny Machado, Donavan Tate, Eric Hosmer, Josh Vitters, Evan Longoria, Jeff Clement, Philip Humber, Kyle Sleeth, Chris Gruler, Dewon Brazelton, Lou Montanez, Eric Munson, Corey Patterson, Troy Glaus, Braden Looper, Jose Cruz, Dustin Hermanson, Brian Anderson, B.J. Wallace, David McCarty, Mike Lieberthal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Here's a list of #3 overall picks since 1990.

Brendan Rodgers, Carlos Rodon, Jon Gray, Mike Zunino, Trevor Bauer, Manny Machado, Donavan Tate, Eric Hosmer, Josh Vitters, Evan Longoria, Jeff Clement, Philip Humber, Kyle Sleeth, Chris Gruler, Dewon Brazelton, Lou Montanez, Eric Munson, Corey Patterson, Troy Glaus, Braden Looper, Jose Cruz, Dustin Hermanson, Brian Anderson, B.J. Wallace, David McCarty, Mike Lieberthal
    Based on that list, you're best chance is going with a hitter, and probably a college one.

On the discussion of hitter vs. pitcher for us, we will have 3 waves of talent coming over the next several years. The first wave will come soon (Blair, Swanson, Newcomb, Albies, Sims, Mallex, etc.). The second wave will come in around 2-4 years, though some could come earlier (Fried, Riley, Allard, Toussaint, Soroka, Davidson, Sanchez, etc.). And the third wave will consist of primarily last year's and this year's international signees (Maitan, Gutierrez, Pache, Cruz, Armenteros?, etc.).

While that third wave is light on pitching, the first 2 are strongest in pitching, and this year's draft pick will likely join one of the first two waves, depending on whether it's a college or HS guy. Because of that, I think it's best to go with a bat if talent level is equal. I expect us to then use most of our top picks in the 2017-2018 drafts on young pitching to join that third wave with the international bats.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-06-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Based on that list, you're best chance is going with a hitter, and probably a college one.

On the discussion of hitter vs. pitcher for us, we will have 3 waves of talent coming over the next several years. The first wave will come soon (Blair, Swanson, Newcomb, Albies, Sims, Mallex, etc.). The second wave will come in around 2-4 years, though some could come earlier (Fried, Riley, Allard, Toussaint, Soroka, Davidson, Sanchez, etc.). And the third wave will consist of primarily last year's and this year's international signees (Maitan, Gutierrez, Pache, Cruz, Armenteros?, etc.).

While that third wave is light on pitching, the first 2 are strongest in pitching, and this year's draft pick will likely join one of the first two waves, depending on whether it's a college or HS guy. Because of that, I think it's best to go with a bat if talent level is equal. I expect us to then use most of our top picks in the 2017-2018 drafts on young pitching to join that third wave with the international bats.
    That's why I want Kyle Lewis, if he continues to produce this year like he has in years past. Big right-handed power, outfielder, Atlanta connections, solid speed, solid arm, and as a college bat he'd probably progress pretty quickly. Hit .300 in the Cape Cod League with 7 homers. Only real knock I have on him is his level of competition at Mercer, but he was putting up video game numbers there last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    That's why I want Kyle Lewis, if he continues to produce this year like he has in years past. Big right-handed power, outfielder, Atlanta connections, solid speed, solid arm, and as a college bat he'd probably progress pretty quickly. Hit .300 in the Cape Cod League with 7 homers. Only real knock I have on him is his level of competition at Mercer, but he was putting up video game numbers there last year.
    If our scouts feel he is worthy of that pick, I would love to add him. He seems to be the only big college bat with any chance of going that high, but I wonder about his true hitting ability and his plate discipline. Kris Bryant, as a sophomore, had a BB/K ratio of 39/38. Lewis's last year was only 19/41. I would like to see him maintain his BA from last year while increasing his BB totals by a good bit before I took him at 3. Corey Ray also has similar issues, and he struck out a good bit more.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Yeah...what's up with the 65 mph slider and 55 mph changeup...those can't be right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Yeah...what's up with the 65 mph slider and 55 mph changeup...those can't be right.
    I might can match those... Braves can take me in the 10th round and I'll be happy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    That whole scouting report is wrong. I also doubt he throws his 2 seamer harder than his 4 seamer.

Like others have said, I worry about college guys that still have legitimate control issues. Not sure how bad his control is, but after 2-4 years in college you should be able to throw strikes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That whole scouting report is wrong. I also doubt he throws his 2 seamer harder than his 4 seamer.

Like others have said, I worry about college guys that still have legitimate control issues. Not sure how bad his control is, but after 2-4 years in college you should be able to throw strikes.
    Eh. Newcomb walked well over 4/9 as a 20-year-old in college, about the same as Hansen, and still has command issues, yet he's a top-25 prospect. Kershaw struggled with his command until he was about 22-23. It happens with some guys. If the stuff is there and you believe he can fix the command, it may be worth the risk.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    One thing i notice looking at a video of Corey Ray at youtube is that he play leadoff hitter and the braves need a fourth bat. Looks amazing if we add him but then where we assign Albies and Mallex. I think the Braves they should try to get Puk, Hansen or Groome. I like the idea of have a lineup of Newcomb,Pitcher,Allard,Toussaint and Fried. We still have Julio Terehan that i always think that the braves they should trade him for Gary Sanchez and Betances. Plus we still have Blair,Wisler,Sims,Soroka,Jenkins and a few more for other good trades.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I have added a disclaimer on the OP. I, too, have a problem with the scouting report on Hansen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    One thing i notice looking at a video of Corey Ray at youtube is that he play leadoff hitter and the braves need a fourth bat. Looks amazing if we add him but then where we assign Albies and Mallex. I think the Braves they should try to get Puk, Hansen or Groome. I like the idea of have a lineup of Newcomb,Pitcher,Allard,Toussaint and Fried. We still have Julio Terehan that i always think that the braves they should trade him for Gary Sanchez and Betances. Plus we still have Blair,Wisler,Sims,Soroka,Jenkins and a few more for other good trades.
    Never change.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-22-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Never been a fan of college bats unless the talent was overwhelming like Tex or Weiters. It would however make a lot of sense to add a more advanced player that we can add to the glut of talent we already have around the mid minors. I cant see the Braves passing on Hansen and Puk. I would add Groome but I think he is a near lock to go #1. They are a scouts have wet dreams about pitchers like this. I like Blake Rutherford. Thats such a a big league prospect name.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.